MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

I got this product last summer because I was looking for a mutipurpose primer. The product comes in a black tube . At the beginnig , I was really happy with the product , it would make the make up last longer in my oily t-zone and at the same time it was protecting my skin from the sun. Then for a while I stopped using the product ( don't remember why) and this time around when I used this product for only a couple days, I ended up with pimples on my chin and also small little bumps around my chin area and I am positive the breakout was because of this product since this was the only thing that I added to my daily routine. Once I stopped using this, the breakout stopped. Also, I think this product works best with liquid foundations rather than powder products as far as oil control goes. When I use this under my powder foundation , I see no difference. The packaging for this is just terrible , when you get near the end, the product doesn't come out and if you want to use the whole thing , you have to cut the tube open and put the rest of the stuff in a jar which isn't very hygeneic. like any other mac product this stuff is pretty pricey and you don't get a lot of product for the money you are paying. Overall, I would not buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I have combination skin, and I usually have to blot at least twice a day. This is the ONLY thing that's ever worked for me. It keeps my makeup looking fresh all day. Worth every penny.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I am IN LOVE with this primer. I have very oily skin and have tried EVERYTHING to keep my face matte and my makeup on. This primer is the only thing that has ever worked. I don't even have to blot anymore and my makeup stays on all day. I also love that this is SPF 50. I have seen others say it is expensive, but it is less money per volume than Smashbox primers and it is COMPLETELY worth it.

The packaging is my only criticism of this product - opaque packaging annoys me because I like to see how much is left. This doesn't bother me much since the product is so great, though.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

*EDIT FOR NEW FORMULA*

This is sadly going down to a 2 for me because they changed the formula and is now greasy for someone who has oily skin. The only upside is that its still SPF 50. I will not repurchase.

*REVIEW FOR OLD FORMULA*
Best part about this is that it has such a high SPF without being oily. Keeps my skin matte enough for me. It also helps my foundation/powder stay on. With this product, I feel no need to blot throughout the day. I'm on my fourth or fifth tube and have rarely experienced a breakout because of it. Its expensive, but it lasts a long time even with daily use, so it is definitely worth it. Did I mention how much I love the SPF 50? Will continue to repurchase forever :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really love this primer! It is the only primer I have found that helps to control the oil on my face, keep my makeup in place all day, and manage to help my makeup go on smoother. It is not totally a miracle product but it is definately the best primer I have ever used and I have tried a tons! (high and low end)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I do not like using a SPF and then a foundation primer. It is to many steps, and I find that they don't work in good combination with each other, making primers ineffective. This primer combines a primer and a SPF, perfect. It smooths out my face, makes my foundation apply easier, and makes my foundation last. It doesn't keep my T-zone matte, but it doesn't claim to do this. This product is expensive, but it lasts a long time (approximately six months for me). I will continue to repurchase. Holy grail status for sure.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

MAC really makes some great products.... In my case, it's hard to be dissatisfied with a MAC product.

I really like this stuff. I put it on a few minutes before my foundation, and it helps my makeup stay on throughout the day.

If I'm honest, it doesn't keep me matte. It doesn't keep me matte at all. But at the same time, that isn't its job. Get some blotting paper if you need something to keep you matte, or some translucent powder :)

However, it does stop my makeup from shifting throughout the day (which happens OFTEN to oily skinned people) and I absolutely love it.

I give it a 4 because of the lack of mattifying power, a 4 for price (it's $30), and the packing quality at 4 because you can't see how much you have left. :)

When i bought this i thought it was the greatest primer, but i guess it was too good to be true. I was using this primer for like a month on and off and every time i put it on, it would always sting my face and by the end of the day i would see like small little pimples on my face and i barely breakout. so i decide gave up on it...

Bought this product in the hope that it would prolong the wear of my make up as well as protect my skin, but unfortunately my make up came off faster than when I didnt wear the primer.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this primer, but lately I've been getting massive break outs, and I think it was caused by this primer. This is my 3rd tube and I've never broken out this bad before, so maybe they've changed the formula or there are other environmental factors that are causing the spots.

Other than that, this primer does an amazing job at making my make up last forever. I have very fair skin, and I didn't burn once this summer and I think this primer helped with that.

I'm still giving this 4 lippies because I still use it religiously on my cheeks, nose and forehead (I broke out on my chin) and this seems to be OK.

Popular Primer/ Correctors