September 20, 2014 | 1672 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2010 12:10:00 PM More reviews by muppet1

Bought this for the first time today after receiving a sample and prefering it to the redness solutions version. feels faintly tacky on however looks sheer, makes foundation stay on amazingly well and looks flawless. Also helps to stop my combination skin getting oily. A great buy.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by cecilia41

i don't like this one. i'm a combination skin and everytime i use this it just leaves some residue all over my face.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by rockangel04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Horribel for oily skin, didn't help makeup go on any better and my skin was more oily that if I didn't use it, plus it made me break out..I returned it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Kybele

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the only sunscreen I have repurchased. I use retinoids, which cause some havoc with my skin sometimes. I can tolerate this sunscreen exceptionally well at all times and it does not cause breakouts. While the SPF isn't super high, it doesn't cause adverse effects which I adore. I can see how the tint would be troublesome for many skintones -- for my NC20 skin it's on the light side (makes me look a little washed out in the winter).

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2010 2:43:00 AM More reviews by Christine331

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Having been a keen fan of this sun block product for years, I tried it and now only use this product because it requires applying once a day and I can completely rely on it to protect my skin thoroughly. I also use only Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25 on my 5 year old daughter as she is very fair skinned and I need a product I can trust.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by jalyne8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Please squeeze the tube with the cap on as to avoid this separation many of you have spoke about. This is an excellent sunscreen that dries matte.The spf 25 has a lot of uva sunscreen in it which is most important in fighting aging. I have used this with and without when using my Estee Lauder double wear and the clinique city block definitely controls oil as well as increase the wear time of my favorite foundation. Definitely a keeper.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by shrao

well where to start..im a student and on many peoples advice went out to buy this sunscreen because it was good and everything...first of all my skin color is dark medium and of indian origin with a problematic T-zone but dry cheeks...this was HORRID>.i hated it..it smells bad and leaves this dirty residue all over my face..it was a complete waste of my money ...and now its sitting in my drawer...cant believe i got into buying this..if anyone wants this expensive sunscreen..get it from me for free...i dont have the heart to throw it out.
Now im on to olay complete defence SPF 30 and its amazing ...soo much more better and not overpriced like this crap

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Bindi7

This is a nice product. I was quite happy with the protection and coverage but have since found an alternative - BE powder sunscreen which is so much better and easier to apply. I wouldn't buy city block again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by aredore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this tinted, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sunscreen. Like many for people, the physical sunscreen caused some tiny whiteheads, but as someone who is more sensitive to chemical sunscreen, I found those little bumps much preferable to the massive, nightmare cysts I got from Avobenzone, oxybenzone and evil cinnimates.

City block works well as a primer or light foundation - I often follow with a mineral sunscreen foundation powder to "set" it.

My only complaint about this sunscreen is how difficult it is to spread, especially considering the high price point per ounce. I worry I'm not getting enough protection. Also the tint is darker than my skin tone - I'm fine after I blend, but the color could be a serious problem for some people.

I'll still look for an affordable, bulk sunscreen I can use without feeling the need to be made up all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by constantonian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for a little bit over a month and I like it more than any other sunscreen I've tried so far. I used Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 100 before this, and the main difference is the consistency, fragrance, and chemical vs physical sun protection. This is thicker, slightly tinted, and fragrance free, which I love, and a physical sunblock. I prefer fragrance free facial products, because it's strange to me when I can smell my face. As a physical sunblock, it contains zinc oxide, which I find keeps me from getting tanned more successfully than chemical sunscreen.
The two qualms that I have with this are it's consistency and low SPF. It's thick and loaded with silica, which the SA explained that it helps absorb oil, but it's hard to spread. It's especially frustrating when I apply my Acanya benzoyl peroxide gel under it, because the sunscreen balls up and flakes off even when I apply moisturizer after the BP. I've found that it applies much more evenly when I skip the BP, or apply the sunscreen immediately after the moisturizer. Btw, I use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for warm weather and the Lotion for cold weather. As far as the low SPF, my derm informed me that it's best to use at least SPF 30.
Regardless of the it's few shortcomings, I still like this sunscreen a lot and it's kept my face untanned throughout this whole summer. It also diffuses my post acne hyperpigmenation and leaves a smooth canvas for makeup, making it a pretty good make up primer. Another plus is that it's usable for the eye area, so it's like a face and eye sunscreen in one.
I should also note that I have oily skin. It keeps me generally matte for the first couple of hours after make up application, but I do still have to blot a couple of times a day. I'm okay with that since I really haven't come across anything that can combat my oily skin and have thus accepted it as a part of life.