April 17, 2014 | 1924 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum 25 SPF

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by constantonian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for a little bit over a month and I like it more than any other sunscreen I've tried so far. I used Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 100 before this, and the main difference is the consistency, fragrance, and chemical vs physical sun protection. This is thicker, slightly tinted, and fragrance free, which I love, and a physical sunblock. I prefer fragrance free facial products, because it's strange to me when I can smell my face. As a physical sunblock, it contains zinc oxide, which I find keeps me from getting tanned more successfully than chemical sunscreen.
The two qualms that I have with this are it's consistency and low SPF. It's thick and loaded with silica, which the SA explained that it helps absorb oil, but it's hard to spread. It's especially frustrating when I apply my Acanya benzoyl peroxide gel under it, because the sunscreen balls up and flakes off even when I apply moisturizer after the BP. I've found that it applies much more evenly when I skip the BP, or apply the sunscreen immediately after the moisturizer. Btw, I use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for warm weather and the Lotion for cold weather. As far as the low SPF, my derm informed me that it's best to use at least SPF 30.
Regardless of the it's few shortcomings, I still like this sunscreen a lot and it's kept my face untanned throughout this whole summer. It also diffuses my post acne hyperpigmenation and leaves a smooth canvas for makeup, making it a pretty good make up primer. Another plus is that it's usable for the eye area, so it's like a face and eye sunscreen in one.
I should also note that I have oily skin. It keeps me generally matte for the first couple of hours after make up application, but I do still have to blot a couple of times a day. I'm okay with that since I really haven't come across anything that can combat my oily skin and have thus accepted it as a part of life.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

I so want to rate this a 5 but there are a couple of reasons why I can't. That being said, this stuff is a dream come true for me and definitely my HG. My t-zone is an oil slick in the summer, and I have terribly dry eczema all over my cheeks and eyes...fun! Sunscreen BURNS my face, but I need some protection. This product does not have any chemical sunscreens so it doesn't sting or aggravate my skin in any way. It is tinted so it doesn't have the white cast that physical sunblocks tend of have. It keeps my face matte all day, which in itself is pretty amazing. Now for the downside: this stuff pills like crazy...as soon as I put it on. Luckily, I was able to dust a clean kabuki all over my face before I applied my makeup and it was 99% gone, so not a huge deal. Also, it is a little hard to blend and doesnt feel good going on, but surprisingly it sinks in well and after a couple of minutes you can no longer feel it on your face. Lastly, if you don't shake this well before you put it on, you may get pure liquid coming out which is kind of nasty. If I could tolerate chemical sunscreens on my face I would stick with my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, however since thats not an option, this is my HG and I probably wont even bother trying anything else (normally takes my skin a month to get over a bad reaction).

EDIT: This will not pill if you use it on a bare face OR if you wait 5 - 10 min for everything you apply before this to soak in. Still a lot of effort but if your skin is as reactive as mine, its well worth it for the sun protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:43:00 AM More reviews by daphneannigje

Good sunscreen. makes my make up go on smoothly en it stays put. It is a bit expensive, but worth the price. I use it after my moisterizer otherwise it can be kind of drying.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by natsumik

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've never really had good experience with any of the Clinique's products in the past, so I was really hesitant to try this one out. But I really wanted a good facial sunscreen / makeup primer so I finally gave in... and now I regret wasting my money.

This sunscreen gave me small reddish bumps on my face. I would have never guessed a product that claims to be suitable even for sensitive skins would cause this, but it did. And I don't even have a sensitive skin-this is one of the only products that my skin reacted.

Plus, this thick, oily and pinkish beige coloured sunscreen never dries completely and sits on top of your skin. When I applied it under the makeup, it was absolutely terrible. Even the long lasting foundation like Revlon CS would slide off my skin (which never happened before) and my combination skin was a grease ball by the lunch time. I don't know why Clinique decided to lie so much in their product descriptions... IMO this is nowhere near a "good makeup primer" as they claimed.

I stopped using this product straight away after finding out the source of my bumps/rash on my face, so I wouldn't really know how effective it is in terms of its sun protection property. But I am definitely not using neither this product nor any product by Clinique again.

To those who found this product to be too oily / bad makeup primer, I suggest trying Roc Hydra + SPF 15 (UVA/UVB protection) moisturiser line. They have one for combination skin and it's my HG facial sunscreen / primer now. It dries out within a minute or two, never sticky/oily, feels much more gentle on skin and doesn't break me out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by songtothesiren

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this is really overrated. First of all, if you have any dryness on your face, this will accentuate them even more. Also, sometimes when I squeeze the product out, it comes out all runny. Then, when I try to apply my makeup, it becomes virtually impossible because this product keeps on coming off in little pieces. I can't even use it as an eye sunblock/ or primer because it comes off in weird stringy pieces. I hate this so much, and truely regret buying this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2010 9:00:00 AM More reviews by brideie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this sunscreen every day. It does not turn my olive skin pasty white. The texture dries smooth so makeup application over the sunscreen goes on smoothly. Most sunscreens fail this test since they retain a sticky finish. I hope Clinique never discontinues this excellent and well-priced sunscreen.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by carolinecaz

I was looking for something to use as a primer that doesn't have silicone in it, to use as a primer. Previously I'd been using a light moisteriser but my skin gets pretty oily during the day and the sales assistant recommended this because it is meant to help control oil.
[CONS]
- It did help control oil in the first week, but given that it claims to "absorb excess oil"...I would expect it to work for longer than the first week.
- If you have dry skin, this isn't the product for you (unless you moisturise the dry bits of your face before you put it on), because it makes any dry skin look horribly noticeable.
- Takes a while to dry and has an oddly sticky/oily feeling finish

[PROS]
- It is decent primer, it holds my mineral foundation well
- It's got sun protection
- Does not cause break outs (my skin is prone to breakouts with primers that use silicone...which is most of the them, so this was the only product (that can be used as a primer), the sales assistant and I could find without silicone in the store)
- Nice packaging, clean and simple looking. Plus it's got all the components of the product clearly labelled on the side of the box.
- Acts like a tinted moisturiser but no coverage, only evens out redness/uneven skin tone
- No strong smell (perfume-free)

So if you have sensitive/acne prone skin that isn't dry/oily, then this product is probably suitable but there are much better sunscreens out there.

UPDATE: Whenever I need sun protection, I use Olay's Daily UV Moisurising Lotion SPF30+. It's not sticky, acts as an good makeup primer, has SPF30+ and is much more affordable.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by cathekim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this one... the UVA and UVB protection it provides is enough for sitting in the office all day. Plus, it has some good antioxidants in there too. AND, the slight tint of color is actually lovely. The main problem I had was the texture of it. I have normal to dry skin. When I applied this to my skin directly, it "curdled". Meaning little flakes or balls would appear here and there, making me look like my skin was shedding! So I tried a serum underneath... same effect. I tried a moisturizer underneath... same effect. I tried applying it to small areas of the skin... I tried applying a lot on. I just couldn't get this product to work! I finally had to return it to Sephora. If you have oily skin, this make work for you. I'm disappointed because the color is actually very nice. One last thing - I know from other reviews, they complained it's heavy. I did not find it to be heavy at all, but with my dry skin, I'm used to having lots of layers on my skin. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by mellyanne29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I usually apply moisturizer prior to applying this product, but I find that half way through the day my face starts to feel quite dry. I have since switched to Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch which does not make my skin feel dry. However, I do love how this product makes my skin look after applying. Not enough for me to purchase again though.