Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

3.8

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 7/8/2011 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

* My background - Previously, I used La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 30 sunscreen but it was too drying on my skin and I needed something more hydrating.
* Pros - Unscented, light texture that goes on smoothly and is non-drying. Doesn't clog pores and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and eyes since I wear contact lenses.
* Cons - Sometimes whitish and gooey if you don't shake the tube before dispensing, need to blend well on application.
* Verdict - This is the sheerest sunscreen that is also hydrating and best part is that it doesn't dry out my skin at all. A keeper!

on 7/6/2011 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

PROS
pleasant texture
physical SPF
didnt dry me out or leave me oily
CONS
balls up, no matter how exfoliated my skin is, with/without moisturizer underneath

Wasnt too happy about rosemary extract [hasnt caused any immediate irritation - used only few times], tint is rather off my skin tone, but would do, however will not repurchase due to frustrating application&awful,uneven finish

on 7/3/2011 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is the only sunscreen I can use. I love it. It brightens my skin, doesn't break me out, and its affordable. Use more than you think you need, it glides better, and gives you better protection and actually works almost as a primer - if you put enough-. I wish the tube was 4 times as big. Its so small :( Like maybe 2-3 months worth more or less used heavily. Love the soft clean scent.

on 6/28/2011 6:49:00 PM

The review is for Clinique,City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector SPF 25 .
Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%).
This product is really sheer, high-level broad-spectrum UVA/UVB daily sun protection.I use this like foundation base-primer or sometimes i wear this after moisturizer and nothing else on top.I can wear this in many ways,but still get red cheeks after few hours.I never wear this products on lids or under eyes only becouse i am sensitive all over.
No chemical sunscreens in this,but still wonder why i got this redness if is so safe?
This protects skin from sun damage with its actives of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. The lightweight but still moisturizing base,is best for normal to dry skin in my experience . And becouse i have combo skin and oily zone(nose and chin) this product is not really good for me.
My skin is dry in winter but oily in summer.When i got this product i didnt imagine that squizing the tub(gently of course) i will get back few tiny drops of something really oily and tinted.The best way to use this is directly on dry-clean skin,like moisturizer,this was the only way i could use this.Unfortunately few hours later, i had very oily nose and chin..and the bonus,my cheeks were red like i got a sunburn (not true).
This product gave me for few days the impression,i found my HG sunprotection product..and few days later i was working hard to heal my red cheeks.
I really hate it what runny is the texture and the second you start applying the product,next moment the greasiness comes right on top.What kind of oil free moisturiser is this,with such a greasy finish?
I spend so much money with Clinique products and still didnt found one to mach with my skin needs.
To be clear,i hate this!!

on 6/14/2011 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I am so happy I finally bought this! It is the first product that doesn't make my skin oilier, as opposed to many moisturizers and sunscreen designed for oilier skin. I use it every morning after I've applied my serum and find that the combination of those two provides enough moisture for my oily combination skin. Also, it doesn't irritate my skin and is alcohol and fragrance free. Unlike other reviewers I don't notice any pilling. I also like the thick texture and find that it spreads easily.
I have to say I've only used this for two weeks so I'll update if I change my mind. But for now, I think this is a great product that is probably going to be a staple in my skincare routine.

on 6/6/2011 11:09:00 AM

It took me a while to get the hang of this - at first I suffered the pilling other reviews have described, but my fingers seem to have learnt to apply the right amount of pressure, and now I'm having no problems. I bought it to wear under my usual foundation, but I find it gives enough cover that a dusting of translucent powder over it is plenty for an ordinary day. I don't find that it makes me oily or breaks me out (and believe me, most products do). It definitely wouldn't be suitable for the beach etc, but then it is designed to screen your skin while you go about your day-to-day business. Good product.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

So I have decided to take a minimalist approach to my make-up routine these days. This has become a staple to my routine. I put this on and some powder over it and it keeps me matte all day long which is a BIG deal for me because I have very oily skin. It even keeps me matte in the hot, humid climate of the south. It's also pretty cool that it has an spf in it too, but it's oil free which is a mega PLUS! The only thing I wish was different is the packaging, it really needs to be in a pump bottle and not a squeeze tube.

Great product even in hot and humid weather in Hong Kong. It is great as a primer before you apply powder.

EDIT: Actually it comes up runny after a while. I am not sure if I will buy this again....

on 5/11/2011 11:29:00 PM

I bought this product after a trip to the Clinique counter in search of a primer. The lady convinced me that this was the way to go, though I had always thought this product serves more of a sun protection function than a makeup primer one. However, the label does claim that it can be used as a primer, so I thought, "Meh, what the heck?!"

Sadly, I'm not terrible happy with it. Firstly, it always seems to separate in the tube, despite an attempt to shake it around before squeezing product out. I end up having to mix it up on the back of my hand before applying it go my face. I also find that it has to be applied to VERY dry skin, or else it rolls up into little balls. So, I moisturize at least an hour before I intend to use it - not very good for an on-the-go gal. I also find it to be a total nightmare under makeup - again, I have to let it really absorb before putting anything over it (another 30-60 minutes) or else it balls up again. I find it too greasy under makeup, and my foundation ends up sliding around my face (I don't have this problem with other primers). I'm a light to medium coverage girl, but I find that this product makes my foundation look really heavy, as well. It increase the stay power of my makeup, but not significantly, and it does nothing to control the oils in my t-zone.

As a sunscreen, it's fine, I guess. I've tried better ones, to be honest, and it annoys me that I have to moisturize so far in advance of using it. The tint is nice on my skin, and gives me a more even complexion, when worn without foundation on top of it. It is effective at keeping me from being burned (I live in a very sunny climate, so this a big plus).

However, I won't repurchase it - in my humble opinion, there are better face sunscreens out there and, as a primer, this was an epic fail for my skin.

on 5/11/2011 3:33:00 AM

Almost ideal for sunprotection during the week in summer. On the beach, or being outside all day, I would use a "real" sunscreen with a higher SPF of course. But Iīm really satisfied with this product: With the tint it has, it evens out my reddish blotches, after being absorbed, I donīt feel it anymore on my skin, and on beautypedia it was even recommended as a good option for those with rosacea, like me. It doesnīt contain fragrance, which is a big plus in facial products for me. I apply it over my daily moisturizer, because I donīt find it moisturizing at all, I would even say that it may be a bit mattifying, if not drying. For me: perfect for summer - but in winter, I think I would switch to something richer.