August 29, 2014 | 1875 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2010 2:43:00 AM More reviews by Christine331

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Having been a keen fan of this sun block product for years, I tried it and now only use this product because it requires applying once a day and I can completely rely on it to protect my skin thoroughly. I also use only Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25 on my 5 year old daughter as she is very fair skinned and I need a product I can trust.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by jalyne8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Please squeeze the tube with the cap on as to avoid this separation many of you have spoke about. This is an excellent sunscreen that dries matte.The spf 25 has a lot of uva sunscreen in it which is most important in fighting aging. I have used this with and without when using my Estee Lauder double wear and the clinique city block definitely controls oil as well as increase the wear time of my favorite foundation. Definitely a keeper.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by shrao

well where to start..im a student and on many peoples advice went out to buy this sunscreen because it was good and everything...first of all my skin color is dark medium and of indian origin with a problematic T-zone but dry cheeks...this was HORRID>.i hated it..it smells bad and leaves this dirty residue all over my face..it was a complete waste of my money ...and now its sitting in my drawer...cant believe i got into buying this..if anyone wants this expensive sunscreen..get it from me for free...i dont have the heart to throw it out.
Now im on to olay complete defence SPF 30 and its amazing ...soo much more better and not overpriced like this crap

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Bindi7

This is a nice product. I was quite happy with the protection and coverage but have since found an alternative - BE powder sunscreen which is so much better and easier to apply. I wouldn't buy city block again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by aredore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like this tinted, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide sunscreen. Like many for people, the physical sunscreen caused some tiny whiteheads, but as someone who is more sensitive to chemical sunscreen, I found those little bumps much preferable to the massive, nightmare cysts I got from Avobenzone, oxybenzone and evil cinnimates.

City block works well as a primer or light foundation - I often follow with a mineral sunscreen foundation powder to "set" it.

My only complaint about this sunscreen is how difficult it is to spread, especially considering the high price point per ounce. I worry I'm not getting enough protection. Also the tint is darker than my skin tone - I'm fine after I blend, but the color could be a serious problem for some people.

I'll still look for an affordable, bulk sunscreen I can use without feeling the need to be made up all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by constantonian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for a little bit over a month and I like it more than any other sunscreen I've tried so far. I used Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 100 before this, and the main difference is the consistency, fragrance, and chemical vs physical sun protection. This is thicker, slightly tinted, and fragrance free, which I love, and a physical sunblock. I prefer fragrance free facial products, because it's strange to me when I can smell my face. As a physical sunblock, it contains zinc oxide, which I find keeps me from getting tanned more successfully than chemical sunscreen.
The two qualms that I have with this are it's consistency and low SPF. It's thick and loaded with silica, which the SA explained that it helps absorb oil, but it's hard to spread. It's especially frustrating when I apply my Acanya benzoyl peroxide gel under it, because the sunscreen balls up and flakes off even when I apply moisturizer after the BP. I've found that it applies much more evenly when I skip the BP, or apply the sunscreen immediately after the moisturizer. Btw, I use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for warm weather and the Lotion for cold weather. As far as the low SPF, my derm informed me that it's best to use at least SPF 30.
Regardless of the it's few shortcomings, I still like this sunscreen a lot and it's kept my face untanned throughout this whole summer. It also diffuses my post acne hyperpigmenation and leaves a smooth canvas for makeup, making it a pretty good make up primer. Another plus is that it's usable for the eye area, so it's like a face and eye sunscreen in one.
I should also note that I have oily skin. It keeps me generally matte for the first couple of hours after make up application, but I do still have to blot a couple of times a day. I'm okay with that since I really haven't come across anything that can combat my oily skin and have thus accepted it as a part of life.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

I so want to rate this a 5 but there are a couple of reasons why I can't. That being said, this stuff is a dream come true for me and definitely my HG. My t-zone is an oil slick in the summer, and I have terribly dry eczema all over my cheeks and eyes...fun! Sunscreen BURNS my face, but I need some protection. This product does not have any chemical sunscreens so it doesn't sting or aggravate my skin in any way. It is tinted so it doesn't have the white cast that physical sunblocks tend of have. It keeps my face matte all day, which in itself is pretty amazing. Now for the downside: this stuff pills like crazy...as soon as I put it on. Luckily, I was able to dust a clean kabuki all over my face before I applied my makeup and it was 99% gone, so not a huge deal. Also, it is a little hard to blend and doesnt feel good going on, but surprisingly it sinks in well and after a couple of minutes you can no longer feel it on your face. Lastly, if you don't shake this well before you put it on, you may get pure liquid coming out which is kind of nasty. If I could tolerate chemical sunscreens on my face I would stick with my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, however since thats not an option, this is my HG and I probably wont even bother trying anything else (normally takes my skin a month to get over a bad reaction).

EDIT: This will not pill if you use it on a bare face OR if you wait 5 - 10 min for everything you apply before this to soak in. Still a lot of effort but if your skin is as reactive as mine, its well worth it for the sun protection.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2010 7:43:00 AM More reviews by daphneannigje

Good sunscreen. makes my make up go on smoothly en it stays put. It is a bit expensive, but worth the price. I use it after my moisterizer otherwise it can be kind of drying.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by natsumik

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've never really had good experience with any of the Clinique's products in the past, so I was really hesitant to try this one out. But I really wanted a good facial sunscreen / makeup primer so I finally gave in... and now I regret wasting my money.

This sunscreen gave me small reddish bumps on my face. I would have never guessed a product that claims to be suitable even for sensitive skins would cause this, but it did. And I don't even have a sensitive skin-this is one of the only products that my skin reacted.

Plus, this thick, oily and pinkish beige coloured sunscreen never dries completely and sits on top of your skin. When I applied it under the makeup, it was absolutely terrible. Even the long lasting foundation like Revlon CS would slide off my skin (which never happened before) and my combination skin was a grease ball by the lunch time. I don't know why Clinique decided to lie so much in their product descriptions... IMO this is nowhere near a "good makeup primer" as they claimed.

I stopped using this product straight away after finding out the source of my bumps/rash on my face, so I wouldn't really know how effective it is in terms of its sun protection property. But I am definitely not using neither this product nor any product by Clinique again.

To those who found this product to be too oily / bad makeup primer, I suggest trying Roc Hydra + SPF 15 (UVA/UVB protection) moisturiser line. They have one for combination skin and it's my HG facial sunscreen / primer now. It dries out within a minute or two, never sticky/oily, feels much more gentle on skin and doesn't break me out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by agibeault