TheBalm Hot Mama

4.5

(from product packaging; note that the ingredients listed by some online sellers are different)--Boron Nitride, Polyethylene, Isoeicosane, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May contain [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Iron Oxide (CI 77491)]

on 5/12/2011 5:28:00 PM

Hm. I'm not entirely sure I *LOVE* this. I like the idea that it doubles as a blush and eyeshadow, but I feel like this totally accentuates any bumps and dry patches on my cheeks. It also makes my cheeks look a tad sunburnt on my NC20-25ish skin. It is a lovely shade though...kind of like a tanner/bronze-ier sister of NARS orgasm...and perhaps a tad more coral as well. I do like the shot of subtle gold shimmer in this as well, though I think that's what contributes to the accentuation of any flaws. I definitely think I will look into other Thebalm products as the packaging is cute and I like how there is a mirror in the compact and the pigmentation/quality is pretty good.

on 4/20/2011 6:29:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I'm a total blush junkie, but this one just gotta be one of my favourites EVER! It's the kind of product that just makes the whole look for me. It's amazing. When I wanna do a very clean and simple look I use Hot Mama both for blush and eye shadow. I put HM on the outer part and/or in the crease, and pair it with either MAC's Blanc Type or Naked Lunch on the lid up to the eyebrow. I find that it just ties the look together when using the same shade for both cheeks and eyes.

Also, I don't feel the need for a higlighter when using Hot Mama as a blush.

on 4/15/2011 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Well, spring is in the air and it's time to review blushers. Spring, yes, even in rainy Vancouver.

Excellent fast blush for the PPP, and others too. Hot Mama is a pale peachy-toned pink with shimmer. It is not coral. It is not orange. But it does warm you up. Worth knowing if you're actively looking for these, or trying desperately to avoid them. Applied lightly, you get a nice warm glow. Applied with a heavier hand might better suits someone with a more, well, lively complexion.

I've seen this stuff tested out by SAs on customers in Sephora: while I usually run away and have as little to do with their SAs as possible, they do have some (Vancouver branch) who have a good eye and hand. In this case, it was fascinating to see how this blush does actually suit a wide range of skin tones. And, on all, it's fast to apply.

I reckon it's *nicer* than NARS Orgasm and the various Orgasmalikes around the place. Less glitter, more pink, and without the assorted ingredients that caused assorted reactions on me, from immediate to spottiness by the end of the day.

Worth reporting back: no irritation (on me, YMMV), and no bismuth oxychloride or talc. This blusher's ingredients are often misreported online; see below for what's actually on the Mama herself.

Depending on what I'm wearing for lippie, this is one of my regular daily blushes. Especially given the rapid application. I pair The Mama with Silk Naturals kisser slicker in Nectar (Clinique Black Honey dupe, but better texture and longer-lasting). My other usual pairing is SN blush in Petal--a pale cool pink, same family as BeneFit Dandelion and Clinique's old Ice Bloom--with Lipstick Queen Medieval or Saint Rouge, or SN's Bitten. (Review for Petal coming up shortly...)

Packaging is neat: small cardboard-covered booklet, featuring 50s-style pinup in red bikini and heels, an ice-cream, and palm-trees on skyline of beach at sunset. Inside: the blusher on one "page" and the mirror on the other, and a magnetic closure. Very lightweight: good for travel, maybe less good for carrying around every day in a bag as it'll not be as durable as heavy metal compacts. For a brush, I'm using an old mini one that came with a Cllinique blusher.

Cruelty-free, and vegan (substituting synthetic wax for the more usual beeswax).The packaging is recyclable. Costs around CAD19.00. Here in Canada, available from London Drugs, Sephora, some other pharmacies/drugstores and various others.

INGREDIENTS: Boron Nitride, Polyethylene, Isoeicosane, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May contain [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Iron Oxide (CI 77491)]

I copied these from the product packaging; note that the ingredients listed by some online sellers are different.
continued >>

on 4/7/2011 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I had heard this was similar to benefits coralista so I just had to check it out! One thing I will say is that you only need to apply very little of the product to get a nice effect. The shimmer (golden) is much more apparant in this than Coralista and due to that I wouldnt bother with adding a highlighter. I'm in love with the cute packaging and will continue to use.

on 3/22/2011 5:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a really lovely shade as mentioned by many reviewers. I bought this after reading about the reviews here. Love to use this when my skin is in good condition. If you have pimples on your cheeks, avoid this at all costs. Because it'll highlight your zit to the world. lol! other than that, it works fantastic as a blush ( on good skin condition days) and as a eye shadow. I use this on my lids and it stays there all day despite my lids being tad oily. Multipurpose, cute packaging and comes with a mirror! *likes*

on 3/10/2011 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This blush is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. A nice, lightly shimmered peachy-gold shade with a subtle pinkiness... applies with a nice, subtle impact in one swipe. The only problem? It soooo doesn't work for my skin tone, which is the only reason I said I wouldn't buy it again. Sad times for cool skin tones. So I gave it to my mom who is a warm... she's very happy with the colour. It looks so much better on her :D

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Coarse

OMG love this product, a makeup artist put me onto it...it just makes you feel fabulous!! Its shimmery but not too shimmery and gives your cheeks a lovely colour,plus it lasts the whole day perfectly...will never be without!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I typically shy away from shimmery blushes since they make my pores stand out but this is one shimmer blush I love. In fact it's probably my most used blush. Actually I'd say it "glows" more than it "shimmers". It's a pinky apricot color with gold shimmer. It blends easily and has nice pigmentation- not too much, not too little. It really brightens a dull face up. The packaging is ok. I'd prefer a sturdy plastic case like Nars, but this cardboard packaging can really take a beating. I love the fact that it closes magnetically- I never had to worry about the lid coming off in my MU bag and getting product everywhere which has happened way too many times to me. I'd recommend it to anyone with light to medium skin tones.

LOVE! I am a sort of blush addict and this is one of the best I've found. What I like about it is that it has a coral shade to it which is flattering on most all skin tones. It also has just the right amount of shimmer, less than NARS Orgasm, which I like. A little goes a long way with this one, so make sure you apply it sparingly as to not get too much color in one place.

on 1/22/2011 5:54:00 PM

I bought this a few years ago but never used to wear blush very much because of my rosacea. However, after giving up liquid foundation (which was like giving up an addiction - very hard!) and taking good care of my skin, I have a good handle on my rosacea and can wear blush again. When I reached for Hot Mama again, I was so pleased! It gives my fair cheeks such a pretty, peachy-pink glow, like I am glowing from within. It doesn't seem shimmery to me, just glowy and beautiful. It lasts all day and gives me a boost. As an aside, I did use it as eye shadow once, all day long at a golf outing, and it lasted but I wasn't crazy about the color as an eye shadow. But for a blush, I love it.

Popular Blush Products