April 18, 2014 | 1800 users online

Treatments - Differin Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for about 4 months now, and I'm happy I stuck with it. I had lost my job and cobra was like 300 dollars a month, so I had to buy this from alldaychemist.com (like, 5 dollars a tube!, I buy 15-20 at a time :) I had used this when I was younger, and I guess not really knowing or even caring to know how to use this properly, I ditched it after a month because my skin was worse. At 13, I wanted results quickly and couldn't comprehend another few months time. That's forever when you're that age! Anyway, now that I'm back on it I love it. The first week was great. It cleared my skin up amazingly. Then the next week, it was bad. Not crazy purging but I wasn't used to having so many blemishes on my face at the same time. It dried my skin...even around my eyes where I did not apply it. After 4 months, I finally have the clearest skin I think is possible for me. No pimples really (except during ttom which was just one, but still annoying and I usually zap it with my zeno hot spot), no blackheads. Last month I decided my skin was definitely tougher, so I put acne.org BP treatment over it. For me, it works great. A little dry, but I use korres yogurt mask in the daytime and spray my face often with rosewater mist to keep the flaky look away. My red spots haven't faded completely, especially since I got new ones when I first started, but I'm ok with that so far. Also, clogged pores are at a minimum. I do wear liquid foundation and powder, so having some for me is given, but no where near as many as before. My jawline is completely clear.
Overall, I'm really happy with this. I don't mind wearing tinted moisturizer anymore and I'm not afraid to go bare face in front of my bf (though I do avoid it if I can lol). I'm excited to see what this brings in the long term. Hopefully by the summer I won't have to wear any face makeup at all, imagine that! I'll update if things change :D

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by richardb

I would say that i had moderate acne, some cysts, and TONS of clogged pores.

I was so excited when i started using differin, so excited for my skin to be clear, and not have to be so self conscious all of the time! i was told i would have to wait about 8 weeks to see results.

Well i started using it immediately, the first week i hardly noticed anything, my face got a little dry, but that was it.
then the next week my face was EXTREMELY dry, yet oily.... hard to imagine, but it happened. then my face started peeling and peeling for weeks.
after the peeling subsided my face looked the exact same, same amount of pimples, and it never cleared the clogged pores.

so after 9 months of using differin religiously, absolutely no change... EXCEPT- my face has gotten ridiculously oily. the oilyness happened about week 3 and has gotten worse and worse. i always joke around and say that i can use my face to grease cooking pans. its bad.

so MAYBE if you have very very mild acne, this can help, but it did nothing for me.
I'm 2 weeks into tazorac and ive already noticed a huge difference.
I'd say if you have moderate acne, jump up to retin-a or tazorac, dont mess around with whimpy differin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by ashleypooh1014

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I will always use this. This in conjunction with clindamyacin topical works wonders for me. I still get the occasional pimple but for the most part im clear. If you have insurance its worth it

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2009 3:50:00 PM More reviews by scratchcard

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is always a life saver for me, everytime I try to exchange this (because it kinda dries me out) i start to break out again.
I just started using this again after pausing because I think my skin got too used to it.
Now my skin is clearing up again and I love this stuff. You just have to know what it works with, now I'm not even dry anymore!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2009 5:27:00 AM More reviews by xcaramelissa

This was one of my very first acne treatments when my breakouts turned from once-in-awhile to acne 24/7 on my face about 2 years ago. My dermatologist prescribed me the lowest dosage and after 3 months, no effect. She upped the dosage to the highest, and still no effect. My skin experienced lots of drying and general flakiness. It's nowhere near as bad as (later) when I tried Tazorac, but it was completely ineffective. I'm on Retin-A Micro now, and while it hasn't cleared my acne 100%, it's as close to clear as I can get without taking the Acutane route.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Camy03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Differin gel!
Is very effective for acne and blemishes ts.It's worked for me and still continues to work. it didnt really dry me out ,definately recommend this product.
I will try the 0.3% version.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Ilovenature2

I used this in conjunction with minocycline and I have to say it did NOTHING! It just made my skin irritated, sore and oily but it did make it smooth so it gets one lippie for that.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by Extrapolate73sp

I've been using the 0.1% gel for the past year, and am still on the fence about it. When I first started using it in conjunction with antibiotics, my skin purged like crazy. It was extremely painful for the first few months, but I stuck with it, and after that, I started seeing results. My skin had never been clearer, even after going off the antibiotics! Lately I've been changing my skincare routine, and have been using it at nighttime to increase its effectiveness. I read that adapalene (Differin) helps the skin to better absorb clindamycin, a topical antibiotic, so I've been following it up with a clindamycin solution that costs $5 at my university clinic. Before, I was using Differin in the daytime, and felt that my Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid was helping more than the gel. Seeing that it costs $40 for a refill, even if it does last for 6 months, I probably can find cheaper, more effective replacements.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

I have had my ups and downs with Differin gel, though it is mostly praise for it. I was first prescribed this when I was 12 (that cursed age when it all began!!) to clear a mild outbreak of pimples on my forehead. I remember it completely cleared my acne, in a few months time. After that I stopped using it, since my acne was very mild until I turned 18. I had the worst outbreak in my life, pimples everywhere, on my forehead, cheeks, and my self-esteem was completely down the drain. After visiting my dermatologist, I was prescribed this again, along with clindamycin gel. I heard about the dreaded initial outbreak, and unfortunately it came full force and my acne worsened. It was not until a month later that I saw any improvement. In a few more weeks time, I was actually getting compliments on my skin!! And in 3-4 months, I was completely clear!! Ah, how I miss those radiant, tinted moisturizer days... :( My clear skin lasted for nearly half a year, until I stopped because my insurance didn't cover it. Then 2 months later I finally plopped down my hard earned cash since I was so desperate to keep my skin clear, and now I am breaking out again!! *Sighs* I'm not sure if I am having the initial breakout again or if my skin has just gotten used to it. But in general, if you have mild to moderately-severe acne I would definitely recommend it, just don't stop using it like I did....It is definitely a commitment, even it means plunking down a ton of money for it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2009 7:57:00 AM More reviews by Majuschka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this product after I consulted with my dermatologist.

Wasnt satisfied at all. It takes time for this product to start woorking, I didnt notice that and I continued to use it for three months. In that period I notice that my skin is getting thiner and much more sensitive. If I wanted to pick a pimple, I pressed as gentle as possible but never the less, I would rip a skin on that place. I still have few scars from that. And the second thing, Differin didnt work for my acne either.

So, I would never use it again.
I found Skinoren is better solution.