Differin Gel

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I have used Differin cream for quite a long time and feel like it has made a tremendous difference in my skin both in terms of my adult acne and in terms of how 'glowy' my skin looks. I am naturally quite young looking for my age, but after I'd been using the cream just over 6 months I saw my sister, who I had not seen in a year, and she commented on how young my skin looked and wanted to know how she could get some too.

I wanted to get more of the cream from Alldaychemist, but they only sell the gel and only in this concentration. I was concerned because the cream definitely still causes flakiness depending on where I am in my cycle. So I was concerned that the gel was going to cause *worse* flakiness or even worse, chemical burns like Tazorac gel did. I'm pleasantly surprised to report that not only does Differin gel NOT cause more flaking --- it actually causes LESS for me, and less irritation! I'm really pleased.

You can get a small tube of this (15 grams) for $5 on Alldaychemist.com. :)

on 11/8/2010 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I love differin. My face used to be so horrible with breakouts all over my cheeks and forehead. I tried BP, tretinoin and oral antibiotics but they didn't have a lasting effect. Then my doctor prescribed me Differin 0.1% and I saw results after 1 week. My skin started to getting clear and all my whiteheads dried up. After a month or so, my skin looked so much better except there were a couple persistent red bumps here and there. Around the time of my period, I still broke out with red bumps but Differin kept it to a minmum.

I just finished using the tube, which lasted me about 6 months or so. I think after using it for awhile, my skin got used to it so I'm now on Differin 0.3% and I'm loving it.

So I won't be purchasing this again since I'm using a stronger version of it but Differin 0.1% helped me so much!!

on 10/1/2010 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I've been using Differin Gel 0.1% a little over a month now, and I am seeing promising results. My doctor told me that initially I would break out pretty bad, and in time and with persistent use, it will get better. Fortunately, I didn't break out too bad as others have stated, and I noticed that when I do get pimples, it clears up pretty fast. I was told to use this only at night and only on the affected areas, not on your entire face. So far so good, with a bit of flaky areas on my face, but a good moisturizer will help with that. You will also need a moisturizer that contains spf15 or spf30 to protect your sensitive skin, and to help your acne scarring to not darken even more due to the sun.

My face looks alot better, and some of my acne scarring has noticeably faded. This may or may not work for you because everyones skin reacts differently, but I definitely would recommend this to people suffering from acne. It's not a miracle worker, but it does help reduce the amount of breakouts, fades acne scarring (not the deeper ones), and people will notice your face looking better.

on 9/27/2010 2:01:00 AM

I used to have bad acne on my forehead and i tried a lot of products but nothing seemed to work so i went to the doctors and he prescribed this to me. It cleared up most of the acne at first but when i kept using it, it didn't really seem to do anything anymore & i still had breakouts. I used differin with benzaclin (another prescription) and they're both very expensive if you don't have insurance.

on 9/20/2010 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I had a giant pimple on the side of my nose and dabbed the gel right away. The pimple finely reduced in size in about a week. I apply it every other night to reduce irritation and dryness. Over applying may cause the skin to break out more. Some acne medication will cause you to flame up in acne before the skin gets better but this hasn't. It does not treat blackheads or whiteheads (salicylic acid works for that). This is made of a retinoid called adapalene that reduces pimple but when you feel a pimple from forming is the best to use this to prevent it from happening.

on 8/15/2010 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After a few years of pubescent acne, I decided I finally wanted to clear it up. My dermatologist had previously prescribed rx Retin-A (0.04 concentration) and my skin just never got used to it. It shrunk my pores (fantastic at that) but it didn't help at all with acne and rather made my skin more dry and ended up somehow causing more of those small subsurface nodules that never came to a head and just stayed there. My dermatologist told me that it would take at least 6 weeks to see results and that I would go through an initial 'purging' period in which all of the gunk underneath my skin was brought to surface. He said afterwards, however, my skin would be luminous, clear, and retin-a would give me the handy side-effect of preventing any wrinkles in the future (way too young to be worrying about that at 18). I tried my best to stay on it- I would gladly dish out the money to start a prescription routine that would help me keep my skin fabulous for the rest of my life. Like I said, my skin hated it. I had to use a heavy cream at night. If I didn't put a very moisturizing layer on before the retin-a (only a tiny pea sized amount for my face and neck) my skin would peel and be pink. I also swim and run competitively and the retin-a made my skin very sensitive to heat, sweat, and chlorinated water. Once I stopped the prescription, my skin slowly got back to normal and my acne was somewhat reduced. I decided to give my skin a nice long break before I tried another prescription treatment. I had a year long break until I had a dermatologist appointment again about two weeks ago. He knew that I would follow a regimen carefully and was aware that I would do whatever I needed to get my nice preteen skin back. He told me we were going to go 'all out', meaning a super-lowe dose minocycline oral antibiotic, topical clindamycin gel during the day, and differin 0.3 every other night. I have found that the differin barely irritates my skin at all (very strange) and my skin has gradually gotten much better. I had some redness and a few pimples and it has all receded into milky clear skin. All comedones are gone.
This cost about $40 and I have a great insurance policy so I don't know how much some people would pay. I would tell everyone to give it a try- and go ahead and get the 0.3.

on 8/11/2010 5:59:00 AM

I have never written any reviews for anything before and I am going to do it, just for Differin! I have been under differin for about 2 plus months now and I am still loving it! (cept for the fact that my skin gets sensitive under the sun) this is the only product that actually worked for me. I had pretty bad acne over my cheeks and you dont know how much differin saved me.

You can actually see results after one week! You might still get breakouts now and then BUT DO NOT EVER GIVE UP, your skin condition will then be more adjusted to differin and then breakout rate will slowly reduce and reduce! All I am left w on my face are light scars so... yeah I love differin!

on 8/8/2010 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This was a fair topical gel for my mild acne. My skin is oily, and I mean very oily, and mostly I get flesh-colored bumps all over my t-zone. They turn red over time and then white. Blech. But it is mild. So I went to my dermo, who put me on Differin gel with tetrocycline, the pills 2x a day, Differin once. The first 2 weeks were embarrassing; I'm so glad I went during summer! The Differin .3% made my face into a big, red, flaky, painful mess. It even made my eyelids peel, ew! I was sure to steer clear from the eye and mouth but the reaction spread. Oh, it was bad. Make sure if you get the .3% to start using it every other day!

So I was put on the lower level, .1%. Much better. It has cleared my skin from the reaction, but really isn;t doing too much for the pimple things I get. However, the blackheads and fine lines I have are GONE. I do get the occasional under-the-skin, gigantic pimple, which Differin kills fast. I love that! Unfortunately this isn't for my kind of acne. =( I just heard about epiduo, so I may try that. It's worth giving a shot, just wasn't for me.

PS- the tetrocycline is horrible. It made my moderate bacne much worse and my ARMS broke out into pimples, some under the skin. =( I think it was too much for me to handle all at once.

on 7/13/2010 9:21:00 AM

Have only been using this for 3 weeks so far (my derm prescribed after HORRIBLE breakout of CYSTIC acne at 23 :( :( )... so far it hasn;t done anything much for my skin...not sure if i'm still at the inittial purging state cause when one spot disappears 2 come back to replace it...also my skin around the nose has satrted flaking and peeling :(

the only plus point is that my when i wake up in the morning my face does feel smoother and pores look a bit smaller

will give it a bit more time and hopefully this will cure me of my adult acne

on 7/3/2010 8:01:00 PM

Hi! Im 13, and about 1 year ago I started getting acne. Now me being 12, I thought popping them was the best way to treat the whiteheads- WRONG. But now I know its wrong, but when I look in the mirror and see all them nasty whiteheads, I just start popping :( but im starting to stop. Anways about a month ago, I went to the doctors for a check up. Once he saw my face (full of scabs and whiteheads) he prescribed me acne medication 5 during the day, and apalene gel.1% (differin) at night. At first, horrible side affects- Dry peeling skin, and clogged pores (but i think the medication was just bringing them to the surface). After about 4-7 days, the clogged pores went away (THANK.GOD.) But I still have a bit of peeling skin.Anyways, The differin drys up scabs SUPER fast, like once I popped a zit, i put this stuff on, and its gone in 2-5 days (dpending on the size). Even though I just broke out (i think its because of my period). Like seriously, after popping small tiny whiteheads, it used to be just red (not scabed over) now I put this stuff on, the next day a scab, but nit red! and it falls off within 2-3 days :). Now the reason i gave it a 4 is because I still get some whiteheads, my pores are larger, and my skin is peeling still... but my face is pretty much clear :)

Popular Treatments (Face)