October 24, 2014 | 1898 users online

Treatments (Face) - Differin Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2010 5:59:00 AM More reviews by grapenutss

I have never written any reviews for anything before and I am going to do it, just for Differin! I have been under differin for about 2 plus months now and I am still loving it! (cept for the fact that my skin gets sensitive under the sun) this is the only product that actually worked for me. I had pretty bad acne over my cheeks and you dont know how much differin saved me.

You can actually see results after one week! You might still get breakouts now and then BUT DO NOT EVER GIVE UP, your skin condition will then be more adjusted to differin and then breakout rate will slowly reduce and reduce! All I am left w on my face are light scars so... yeah I love differin!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2010 3:12:00 AM More reviews by ScHmAbUlOuS

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was a fair topical gel for my mild acne. My skin is oily, and I mean very oily, and mostly I get flesh-colored bumps all over my t-zone. They turn red over time and then white. Blech. But it is mild. So I went to my dermo, who put me on Differin gel with tetrocycline, the pills 2x a day, Differin once. The first 2 weeks were embarrassing; I'm so glad I went during summer! The Differin .3% made my face into a big, red, flaky, painful mess. It even made my eyelids peel, ew! I was sure to steer clear from the eye and mouth but the reaction spread. Oh, it was bad. Make sure if you get the .3% to start using it every other day!

So I was put on the lower level, .1%. Much better. It has cleared my skin from the reaction, but really isn;t doing too much for the pimple things I get. However, the blackheads and fine lines I have are GONE. I do get the occasional under-the-skin, gigantic pimple, which Differin kills fast. I love that! Unfortunately this isn't for my kind of acne. =( I just heard about epiduo, so I may try that. It's worth giving a shot, just wasn't for me.

PS- the tetrocycline is horrible. It made my moderate bacne much worse and my ARMS broke out into pimples, some under the skin. =( I think it was too much for me to handle all at once.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2010 9:21:00 AM More reviews by afmn87

Have only been using this for 3 weeks so far (my derm prescribed after HORRIBLE breakout of CYSTIC acne at 23 :( :( )... so far it hasn;t done anything much for my skin...not sure if i'm still at the inittial purging state cause when one spot disappears 2 come back to replace it...also my skin around the nose has satrted flaking and peeling :(

the only plus point is that my when i wake up in the morning my face does feel smoother and pores look a bit smaller

will give it a bit more time and hopefully this will cure me of my adult acne

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Ndog88

Hi! Im 13, and about 1 year ago I started getting acne. Now me being 12, I thought popping them was the best way to treat the whiteheads- WRONG. But now I know its wrong, but when I look in the mirror and see all them nasty whiteheads, I just start popping :( but im starting to stop. Anways about a month ago, I went to the doctors for a check up. Once he saw my face (full of scabs and whiteheads) he prescribed me acne medication 5 during the day, and apalene gel.1% (differin) at night. At first, horrible side affects- Dry peeling skin, and clogged pores (but i think the medication was just bringing them to the surface). After about 4-7 days, the clogged pores went away (THANK.GOD.) But I still have a bit of peeling skin.Anyways, The differin drys up scabs SUPER fast, like once I popped a zit, i put this stuff on, and its gone in 2-5 days (dpending on the size). Even though I just broke out (i think its because of my period). Like seriously, after popping small tiny whiteheads, it used to be just red (not scabed over) now I put this stuff on, the next day a scab, but nit red! and it falls off within 2-3 days :). Now the reason i gave it a 4 is because I still get some whiteheads, my pores are larger, and my skin is peeling still... but my face is pretty much clear :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by SL2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using retinoids for about 14 years - Retin A cream at first, then gel when it became available and Differin for the last 8 or 10 years. Although I am oily and acne-prone, I really regard Differin as my anti-aging treatment as I find Skinoren/ Finacea more helpful in preventing outbreaks than retinoids.

My skin had been used to AHAs before I tried retinoids and was fairly clear when I decided to experiment after having bought a tube of Retin A in a chemists in Ukraine. I was rather nervous, expecting my skin to errupt and go red - but virtually nothing happened, apart from a little flaking around my mouth during extremely cold weather. However, if I attemt to use retinoids on my neck I get a red, scaly rash. I
noticed a gradual improvement in the general condition of my skin and when I returned to the UK two years later everyone said how well I looked. I now use Differin because adapalene is the only retinoid available in Russia [11 if you shop around] and I like the gentle water based formula which I find light and non-clogging, but not so drying in the extreme winter weather as the Retin A gel. I generally don't moisturise afterwards, but I do sometimes dilute it with a syrum or oil in extremely cold, dry weather.

I am very happy with Differin, sunscreen [I have had to keep out of the sun since my mid twenties due to melasma ], facial gymnastics and a good diet as my anti-aging regime. It seems to work as most people are surprised on finding out my real age. I didn't find that retinoids particularly helped with melasma, I had the best results with Skinoren. Once I return to the UK and my supplies run out, I may try a stronger retinoid if I have to order online anyway.

Update 24/8/10: I have been using a Russian Isotretinoin 0.1% cream for 2 months and have noticed a definite improvement in my skin- both clogs and wrinkles. In future I will try to obtain either this Isotretinoin cream or order Retin A/generic online.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2010 1:10:00 PM More reviews by angelikaathanas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This product has noticeably helped my acne. I have been using it for about two weeks and it is great. I haven't got any new pimples but it is extremely drying, especially coming from me, a person who has extremely oily skin. I was suppose to use this product at night and a clindoxyl cream in the morning.However, I had to stop using hte morning cream since this product made my skin so sensitive that it significantly irritated and burned my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Daisy

This is definitely a miracle worker for me! I no longer get spots. This gel has reduced my large pores, faded red marks from previous outbreaks and has made my skin tone more even. I am finally at a point where I feel good wearing minimal foundation. I used the cream a few years ago and it worked, but it was just a bit too heavy for my skin. It made me really oily. The gel is wonderful! Not oily at all. It is very expensive....$80.00/tube, but definitely worth it. I get the occasional spot now and again, but it usually clears up overnight with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 6:50:00 AM More reviews by marinaeyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

GREAT PRODUCT! It's no miracle worker, but then let's be realistic here, no product is going to cure every pimple. But this product has helped clear up my skin heaps. I'm on antibiotics and use clinique's anti-blemish solutions also, but differin still makes a difference. Will keep using till I'm acne-free!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2010 1:23:00 PM More reviews by deypherus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this buck for 26 Singapore dollars and I heard you can get it at 20 dollars at CGH.
I have a love hate relationship with this.
When I first started using it, it made me peel, breakout and I had perfect skin after that in 2 months or less. So I started to get lazy and decided to stop using it...
Now that I have gone back on the product for almost 2 months it doesn't seem to be that effective as it first was where it purged my pimple.. I don't know. It's been 2 months and I'm still trying.
A week ago, I tried this with benzoyl peroxide and it STINGED like hell and killed 2 pimples bumps I had immediately!! After that I started peeling like crazy. And when I peeled the hyperpigmentation faded slightly. :)
Ooh But my skin was red for 2 days?? And that's coming from someone who doesn't really have sensitive skin.
I'm still using this now. Will update! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for about 4 months now, and I'm happy I stuck with it. I had lost my job and cobra was like 300 dollars a month, so I had to buy this from alldaychemist.com (like, 5 dollars a tube!, I buy 15-20 at a time :) I had used this when I was younger, and I guess not really knowing or even caring to know how to use this properly, I ditched it after a month because my skin was worse. At 13, I wanted results quickly and couldn't comprehend another few months time. That's forever when you're that age! Anyway, now that I'm back on it I love it. The first week was great. It cleared my skin up amazingly. Then the next week, it was bad. Not crazy purging but I wasn't used to having so many blemishes on my face at the same time. It dried my skin...even around my eyes where I did not apply it. After 4 months, I finally have the clearest skin I think is possible for me. No pimples really (except during ttom which was just one, but still annoying and I usually zap it with my zeno hot spot), no blackheads. Last month I decided my skin was definitely tougher, so I put acne.org BP treatment over it. For me, it works great. A little dry, but I use korres yogurt mask in the daytime and spray my face often with rosewater mist to keep the flaky look away. My red spots haven't faded completely, especially since I got new ones when I first started, but I'm ok with that so far. Also, clogged pores are at a minimum. I do wear liquid foundation and powder, so having some for me is given, but no where near as many as before. My jawline is completely clear.
Overall, I'm really happy with this. I don't mind wearing tinted moisturizer anymore and I'm not afraid to go bare face in front of my bf (though I do avoid it if I can lol). I'm excited to see what this brings in the long term. Hopefully by the summer I won't have to wear any face makeup at all, imagine that! I'll update if things change :D