July 24, 2014 | 1062 users online

Other - Omega 3 supplement

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2008 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Haku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fyi- I was looking up the ingredients in Borage Oil and it should be (Herbicide and Pesticide-Free). Herbcide can cause rashes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbicide#Health_effects

"Some herbicides can cause a variety of health effects ranging from skin rashes to death. The pathway of attack can arise from intentional or unintentional direct consumption of the herbicide , improper application resulting in the herbicide coming into direct contact with people or wildlife, inhalation of aerial sprays, or food consumption prior to the labeled pre-harvest interval."

I hope this helps someone who is experiencing rashes from taking Omega pills.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2008 12:22:00 AM More reviews by besidetheocean

I'll start by saying that fish oil pills have really improved the condition of my nails. They have always been strong, but now they grow extremely fast and look wonderful - no hangnails.
The reason I started taking fish oil pills, however, was for my skin. Unfortunately I can't tell if they are helping or hurting my skin as it is still breaking out. I've decided to try to only use products that contain natural ingredients or ingredients that are classified as non-comedogenic and non-irritating. This list has been very helpful to me when choosing products:

I have stopped taking fish oil pills and will update if I notice any difference in my skin.

UPDATE: Saw my sister this weekend (who has always been blessed with nice skin - very rarely any breakouts), and she made the comment that she hadn't had time to use foundation that morning. I was shocked because her skin looked even more amazing than usual. She told me that she had been taking B5 supplements, cod liver pills and fish oil pills. Since I am in the process of my skincare "experiment" I'm not jumping to try anything else, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

UPDATE #2: My skin is already looking much better since I stopped the fish oil. I have also been using benzoyl peroxide nightly because I was desperate to clear up my skin fast. If my skin continues to clear I do not think I will add the fish oil pills back into my skincare routine.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 7:26:00 PM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

In response to bandabug's post, I also have had a strange rash on my neck on and off for about 7 months. It never occurred to me that the omega oils might be to blame!

I take them because they seem to help with my acne-prone skin. Next time, I'll be careful to observe what happens when I take this pill by Jamieson, the omega 3-6-9. Thanks for pointing this out.

Update Dec 4 2010- I now use Nutra-Sea (omega 3) with vitamin D. My naturopath and chiropractor both recommended it. After 3 months of semi-daily use, I have had no negative reactions to it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2008 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Sedia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

These are very helpful videos on Omega 3.

Why you need Nordic Omega 3 fish oils (1-5).

Choosing the right omega 3 oil

I will update this.

More info: What are the side effects of fish oil supplements?

Fish oil supplements are dietary supplements that contain oil from cold water fish such as mackerel, salmon, black cod, albacore tuna, sardines, and herring. The active ingredients in fish oil supplements are essential fatty acids known as omega-3 fatty acids. They typically include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
The most commonly reported side effects of fish oil supplements include fishy odor on the breath, upset stomach, and greasy stools. A more serious side effect can be an increase in LDL-cholesterol, a harmful form of cholesterol. Large doses of fish oil supplements may also cause weight gain and decrease the absorption of vitamins A, E, D, and K from the stomach. If you have diabetes, use caution when taking fish oil supplements, as they’ve been known to increase blood sugar.

Cod liver oil should not be used as a fish oil supplement because it contains very high levels of vitamin A. High doses of vitamin A can cause headache, dry skin, itching, and liver damage.

References:Fasching, P. "Fish Oil Supplementation Versus Gemfibrozil Treatment in Hyperlipidemic NIDDM. A Randomized Crossover Study," Hormonal and Metabolic Research 28 (1996).Gray, D.R. "Fish Oil As An Adjuvant in the Treatment of Hypertension," Pharmacotherapy 16 (1996).

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2008 2:05:00 AM More reviews by skincarejunkie1123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using Nature's Made Omega 3 fish oil pills along with B12 and I do have to say that my nails and hair are growing out of control.
I have not had any breakouts, besides my monthly one's, nor have I seen a vast improvement in my skin. But for the fact that my nails grow strong ang beautifully along with my hair and the health benefits I will continue to take these.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 8:11:00 AM More reviews by bandabug

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to share what happened to me once I began taking fish oil pills. I bought them because I have very thin, weak nails and fine, lackluster hair -- I figured the fish oil would give both a boost. After a few weeks of taking the pills as directed on the bottle, my hair, skin and nails actually showed some improvement and I was very pleased. Fast forward another month, I develop weird itchy hive-like rashes on my neck and arms. I NEVER get rashes; I don't have sensitive skin. I didn't change anything else in my routine aside from the addition of fish oil. It took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together. Finally, I stopped taking the pills. My symptoms disappeared and my skin returned to normal very quickly. Has anyone else had this experience with fish oil? I wasn't taking large doses or anything, therefore I hesitate to recommend them to anyone based on my experience.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2008 3:04:00 PM More reviews by kkt1210

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i've been taking the nordic naturals brand fish oil pills for over 3 months now and i'm very happy! my main reason for starting fish oil pills was to help with my severe pms and help ease hormonal breakouts.....and i feel this has indeed helped. i have never had any fish burps from this brand either. also this is the only brand i've tried. i take 2/day with meals, which is a serving size, and this provides 690 mg of omega 3s. my chin/jaw has suffered a lot from hormonal breakouts and these little gems have really helped control them nicely. as for pms...i think it has helped some. my nails have always been fine, so i can't really see a difference in them, nor with my hair really....it's pretty healthy anyway. but since my breakouts have lessened in severity a lot, i will continue taking these! a one month supply of this brand costs about $14 at whole foods. you can also buy a bigger jar and save some $.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2007 8:57:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

These didn't do anything for me other than make my hair greasy. I might try another brand, due to all the glowing reviews, but right now, I'm not happy. UPDATE: After trying out a new brand from my health food store, I've actually noticed a big improvement, just during the past week. My skin looks amazing, and my nails are beautiful. I also have noticed a great improvement with my mood, my attention span is better, and I feel all around happier. These are beauty pills! :) I keep mine in the freezer, otherwise the fish burps get me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2007 4:25:00 PM More reviews by darkharbour

I feel I need to weigh in here, given the fact that these have altered my life so dramatically. I am 50 years old, chugging through the last stages of perimenopause, and most significantly, I have severe arthritis in both knees. So severe in fact, I was considering getting a handicap placard for my car.

Rewind the tape to November 2006, when I was in a health food store, and asked the woman on duty what I could do for my severe perimenopause mood swings. She turned me onto Nordic Naturals Omegas 3,6,9. They worked!

Long story short: within a month, my arthritis pain was greatly diminished to the point I rarely needed pain killers -- and I had been popping handfuls a day, followed by a Maalox chaser.

As I resumed exercise, I found that I had breakthrough pain, and learned that it was the EPA in fish oil that was the anti-inflmmatory. So, I bought the high EPA fish oil from then on.

In addition to the reduction in pain, my hair is thicker and shinier, my nails are stronger and shinier, and no one -- NO ONE believes I am 50. I actually had to tell someone to touch my face, because she was sure I was wearing foundation when I wasn't. The fine lines under my eyes are GONE. That leaves me to believe that someone with oily, acne-prone skin might break out.

There is evidence that fish oil can help with heart health, skin health, eye health, colo-rectal health, and mental health -- especially depression. There is clinical proof it can mitigate some of the symptoms of autoimmune diseases. (See the Maroon and Bost book on Fish Oil)

Buy the kind with lemon oil added and store in the fridge for less fish-belching. Give it at least three months before you reject it.

Side effects can be rugged. Fish oil can make GERD worse, and can make you bruise easily. In my case, my blood has thinned, which is good for my heart, but bad for clotting. Cuts bleed longer than usual.

I prefer Nordic Naturals and GNC Ultra -- hence my "3"'s, in the rating. Those scores depend on the brand you buy. Don't buy cheap.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2007 10:24:00 PM More reviews by HenrysmomDana

Just wanted to make a suggestion... I was told to keep the fish oil capsules in the freezer, which I do, and I've never had a single fish burp!