November 27, 2014 | 1478 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by margheritax

I love this foundation! The texture is pretty thick and I find that the best application is with my fingers and then blending it out with my Real Techniques expert face brush. I love the packaging as it's very compact and plastic so there's no chance of it breaking. I wish it had a pump but that's not so bad considering the needle nose tip dispenses the product well. The finish is matte but not at all flat and I put a little bit of powder on my t-zone since I get shiny fairly easily. I use the powder very sparingly though and I don't need to touch up at all. The shade 40 matches me very well. Will definitely repurchase. I wish you could tell how much product was left though. :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this! I bought No. 45 - Soft Beige. For reference I have an NW30+ or so skin tone. Bought it on a whim and sight unseen and I got a perfect match. Not super pink, way more neutral. This has amazing coverage, looks flawless and stays on. Looks beautiful. I do not even need concealer for my slight melasma on my forehead! This will get cakey if you put a lot of layers or add a lot of setting powder (I learned the hard way). But it looks amazing in photos! I save this foundation for nights out/special occasions as it is pretty full coverage on me and looks "too made up" for running errands, etc. But this has surpassed with Clarins Everlasting for my nights out/stay on until daybreak/full makeup coverage foundations. This has a way better color match, no scent and I can use a lot less then Everlasting. Love this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

Yickes. I received a sample of this foundation at Sephora after looking for a good light coverage foundation for oily/combo skin. One of the representatives there told me to get it since it was the best color match for my skin tone (I originally wanted to get UD Naked foundation).
The coverage of this foundation is definitely not light (at least on my skin) and it is indeed mattifying...for about an hour. The color match was good, however it did oxidize and just looked bad on my skin (kind of orange-ish). I usually do not like medium/full coverage foundations since I don't have much to cover up, however I recently have gotten a fairly large zit on the bridge of my nose that would not go away for several days now. So, I decided to cover it up well and this foundation did not hide even the redness! On some parts of my face you could see how thick the foundation looked, even though I blended it out very well. However, it did not cover the blemish at all which is very strange... Plus after a few hours my face did not look fresh anymore. It had cakey and dry areas and a terribly shiny T-zone. When I saw my face in the mirror at school I had an urge to wash my face since it just looked awful.
For that kind of money there are better foundations out there and if you want a true matte finish for less money just buy yourself Revlon color stay foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2013 12:24:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: It took me a long time, but I found out that like pretty much every other base product, Mat Velvet+ does in fact oxidize on me once the powdery finish fades. This I can prevent (and increase the wear time) with a primer, but to *have* to wear one is another deal-breaker for me.

MUFE Mat Velvet+ sounded like it would be my HG foundation: oil-controlling, full coverage, matte finish. After having great experiences with their Full Cover concealer, reading rave reviews from fellow oily faces, and being recommended the product by an SA I was dead set on getting it, only to hesitate for a short time in a debate between buying this and the Kat von D foundation. Unfortunately, I regret this decision, as Mat Velvet+ failed to fulfil my expectations.

I was matched to shade #30 by an SA, whom I had told my Full Cover shade (#6) as a reference. It was a little ashy and pink on me, but with my yellow-olive, hard-to-match skintone, I accepted #30 as good enough. Perhaps I should have gotten #40, but when I swatched it, it looked too dark, and I prefer going a little pale over dark. I bought a bottle without initially going through a sample (a terrible mistake), and tried it the next day.

The small, compact bottle with the squeeze tip is great for getting precise amounts of product out, plus it's plastic, so I don't have to worry about breakage. True to its name, it dries to a smooth, shine-free finish that doesn't require additional powdering. However, this is where the compliments end.

MUFE advertises this to be a full coverage foundation, and while this can be achieved, it requires a substantial amount of product. When I hear "full coverage" I expect the product to completely (or almost completely) cover up my dark and numerous acne scars with a small amount...I mean about a pea-sized amount. That's how much I need to cover up one cheek with Mat Velvet+, and even then I need a good deal of concealer. And despite the matte finish, I'll end up with a very shiny nose about four hours in, and after no more than eight hours I look like a complete greaseball. This isn't even in hot weather! The coverage is comparable to that of the new Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation (i.e. closer to medium than full), while the oil control level is worse. I might as well as save my money and buy a similar-performing product for half the price!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I recently tried the Color IQ system at Sephora. They take 3 photos of your face (forehead, neck, and cheek) and then enter it into a computer. You are given a number, mine is 1Y07. Your number is then matched to every foundation Sephora carries. I had 67 matches for me. You also get two free foundation samples. When you go to the Sephora website, you enter Color IQ in the search box. Then you enter the number they give you. Then you select the foundation you want, and it tells you based on your number what shade you need. The makeups I've tried based on my number have been perfect matches, so it does work.

When you do the Color IQ, you get 2 free foundation samples. I was given a sample of the Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder foundation in Ivory. I absolutely hated it. The color was perfect, but the foundation itself just didn't work with my skin. It settled into and magnified every bump and flaw on my face. I also found it really difficult to work with.

The second sample I was given was for this foundation. Based on my number, I was matched to shade 35 Vanilla. When I first saw the color in the sample cup, I was a little concerned it would be too light. But it wasn't. In fact, it was an exact match. This foundation does a great job of covering the redness and small bumps on my face. It makes my face look flawless. This foundation is also very buildable. It NEVER looks cakey. The staying power is also great. It usually lasts about 10-11 hours before it starts fading away. This foundation is also very lightweight. You can't even tell you have it on. It doesn't feel or look like a mask, the way so many other full-coverage foundations can. I only had enough from the sample for one use, so as soon as I ran out, I bought a full-sized bottle.

Shortly after I purchased the full-sized bottle, my face started itching. At first, i thought it was this foundation, so I retuned it. I expected the itching to go away, but it didn't. In fact, it got progressively worse. I didn't understand it. This foundation was the only thing in my beauty routin that had changed. But then I realized that I had started using "L'oreal Damage Erasing Balm around the same time as this foundation. I realized it was probably that I was allergic to. I stopped using it and the itching stopped. I was thrilled and immediately repurchased this foundation. I've been using this foundation for over 2 months now, and I haven't had any other problems. This is a great choice for people with both oily and allergy-prone skin like mine.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about with this foundation is the bottle it comes in. I wish it came in a bigger bottle. I love the plastic bottle and the nozzle. But I really wish the bottle was more see through. It makes a little difficult to see how much product is left. But this is minor. This is definitely an HG foundation for me. The longer I use it, the more I love it. I will definitely repurchase. Great foundation for the price.

EDIT 11/17/13
I still really like the coverage and natural finish of this foundation. It is buildable and never looks cakey. It does a great job of covering up the redness and small bumps on my face. BUT it turns into a slimy, greasy mess on the areas where I'm most oily (especially my nose, area around my nose, and my chin) It stays amazing and lasts all day on my cheeks and forehead (where I'm not quite so oily) but it looks terrible on my oily areas after just a few hours. I did purchase a second bottle of this, but I ended up returning it. I exchanged it for Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 hour, which is similar in coverage and finish, but stays put even after 12 plus hours, and doesn't turn greasy like the Mat Velvet.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by tyeryann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used this foundation on my wedding day with a touch of the HD powder to set it, and everyone commented on how radiant and flawless I looked. When I got the photos back (even the ones taken by guests, so various angles/lighting/quality), it was true. My skin looked positively flawless and had none of the weird shine you might see with other foundations.

The other reviewers are right, however, in saying that it's a bit tricky to put on, there's not a whole lot of product for the price, and it can get cakey if applied too thickly. That said, using a good moisturizer right before application solved most of the issues for me. This is not my everyday foundation (I use a BB cream for daily use), but it is definitely my go-to foundation when I want a flawless, matte look for evenings out or special occasions. I will definitely make sure I keep a bottle of this in my makeup bag!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by mathesona1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm slowly falling deeply in love with this product. I have tried more mattifying, long-wear foundations than I care to think about, and this is the ONLY one I will repurchase. Is it perfect? No. But it does a better job than all the other foundations I've thrown my money away on. It wears longer, stays reasonably matte with the occasional blot, doesn't make me break out, doesn't cake, doesn't make me more oily. The one thing that it is absolutely tops on is the colour. I use #20 and it is the perfect colour match. Absolutely perfect. That alone makes this one a winner. I'm pale and I have struggled to find a GOOD colour match, let alone the PERFECT colour match.

I find that I get the best results applying this with a damp sponge (beauty blender dupe).

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by composure

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A foundation that has full coverage and has a matte finish is what every oily/acne prone skinned girl lusts after. I was searching endlessly for a foundation that helped control oil and had reasonably good coverage, I finally gave in to the hype.

I've read the reviews, hearing that it's thick and cakey..but LONG WEARING. That sold me. I liked the coverage, I tried it in 40 Vanilla, a good match for my skin. I would say it is oil-controlling and it has a floral scent. That's where all the positive points end. It unfortunately clogs my pores and after the first day, I had little white heads. Otherwise, it would have been a lovely product. Too good to be true.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Piggie8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: I have such a love hate relationship with this. I went back to my HG Tarte and then felt like I shouldn't let it go to waste so I tried it again with the HD Powder and I've fallen in love. It's like this perfect smoothness on my skin, and for once I have people thinking I have an awesome complexion (muahahahaha). It kind of depends on the day, but it seems to be lasting the whole day for me. It's also deep in the heart of winter in Utah, so I'm wondering if this is somehow a winter foundation for me? When I didn't believe in such before...

ORIGINAL: As much as I've rated this highly, it's honestly just not for me.

I developed sensitive skin a few years ago and my HG at the time, Revlon Colorstay, was starting to break me out. I decided to branch off a little bit and I saw some recommendations for this on the internet, so I picked one up at Sephora.

I liked the consistency of this, and I also like that the color is almost my literal exact skin match, I've never had any color as close as this in any other brand of foundation.

It's not a bad foundation per say as it's just not what I'm looking for.

It's more on the full coverage side, I'm used to a maximum coverage, but this is definitely more than medium. It's a nice even coverage and spreads nicely throughout the face.

I feel though that it doesn't have the most excellent lasting power. If I wear it on my own, I feel like it lasts about half the day, although when I pair it with the MUFE HD setting loose powder it has a decent staying time. I'm looking for a foundation that stays literally all day, although makeup products in general don't like to stay a decent time at all.

I've heard a lot of people that it stays up through sweat and a little more heavy physical activity, I don't personally find that to be true. I find that it gets pretty splotchy on me on doing so when it happens and can get cakey looking and doesn't necessarily clog my pours, but I don't feel as if it breathes, but that is with setting powder and I don't feel I feel that same thing with the same setting powder and other foundations.

I think it's a nice foundation, but more of for people with normal skin or people who don't have a lot of problems with staying power or something similar. I would perchase it again, but I don't find myself doing it any time soon.

Also a note for me, I've tested it in winter and summer. I got it a first time in December of last year and then used that up, used two other ones and decided to try this again in the heat of Utah.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2013 7:22:00 PM More reviews by Meganmck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So let me take the next few minutes of your life to tell you about how awesome MUFE Matte Velvet+ foundation is.

If you have not yet tried this product it is an absolute must in my humble opinion!

First of all, the coverage is phenomenal! I have red/acne prone skin and this foundation covers all of it. The only times I have needed a concealer when using this product has been to spot cover a new pimple that is just starting to rear it's ugly head.

Secondly, this foundation in 25 is the perfect match for my skintone and looks so natural on me.

Thirdly, this stuff stays put. I had a 17 hour day where I was away from my house from 6 am until almost 11pm that night and the stuff was still there. I did not touch up once during the day. I will say that at this time my skin did look a little oily, but it hadn't moved.

With that being said, there are some drawbacks to this product.

First, it transfers quite a bit... you need to make the conscious effort not to touch your face to anything while wearing this foundation. While blotting one day a lot of the product transfered to the blotting sheet, which was annoying. But yet it did not take off the makeup or diminish it's coverage. Weird, I know.

The other drawback is the price. A whopping $42 price tag in my area. This is a lot of money, especially when you take into account that you only get 1 fluid ounce of product... I mean this sucker is small!

However, this product has become a must-have for me. I will say that if you are someone with very oily skin, I think this product will help with oil control quite well.