September 16, 2014 | 1863 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by glockgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this sponge....works great! Makeup looks flawless! Which i would hadn't purchased it sooner! Kind of expensive...but worth it in the end....you won't be sorry!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Extraordinary! Who would think a sponge could be unique? Well, this one is. When this first came out, I thought, "Who in their right mind would pay $$$$ for a SPONGE?" I kept hearing about this one, though, so I bought several brands of "imitation beautyblenders" (Sephora, Camera Ready, IT Cosmetics, Sonia Kashuk, Real Techniques, Studio Basics, Stila, and probably others). Observing Beautyblender having remained popular (and clearly, unmatched) for years, and noticing that people are quite willing to pay $$$$ for it, eventually clued me in to the fact that this is a special sponge.

After one use I slapped myself upside the head for waiting so long to buy this. I'm certain I spent 10x the cost of one Beautyblender on those numerous knock-off that would up getting tossed away.

SO much has been said about how this sponge works, etc., that I won't bother with those details. I just want to emphasize that this really is an amazing product and I look like I've had makeup professionally applied every single day!

I wash my sponge right after use, so it stays pink and pretty. I tried one of the white ones, but it looked dirty too quickly and I couldn't get all the foundation out of it. The pink ones stay fresh-looking for months. Beautyblender's liquid cleaner is useless for removing my makeup (maybe because I usually wear Face & Body makeup?) but Beautyblender's solid cleaner works like magic.

All in all, this sponge isn't as expensive as it seems because it can be used to apply any kind of makeup. Plus, it outlasts by 4 or 5 times the cheaper makeup sponges. I wash my sponges after each use, and they always stay bright pink and they don't stain.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Missylou80

This product wasn't bad. But IT IS WAY TO GOSH DARN F***ING EXPENSIVE!! I paid $27 for a damn egg shaped sponge. A SPONGE!!! I know, I sound crazy, paying that much for a damn makeup sponge. But alas, I did. It wasn't a bad sponge, I quite enjoy it. But I don't need it to complete my life. I found a similar looking makeup sponge at the drugstore that I will be purchasing from now on because I don't want to go bankrupt over a damn little egg shaped sponge. But if you own a house in Beverly Hills and own 6 Mercedes, then you can continue buying and using this sponge.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by verkkis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had such high expectations for this product after seeing all the YouTube-clips and reading the good reviews, so when I finally purchased the product, I got really disappointed. I really did not notice any difference to other sponges. At least for me it did not work at all. I will therefore keep using a brush ;) only way to get a beautiful base!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Gimmesandyy

I never thought I would spend $20 on a little sponge. But omgsh it is so worth it! It does not soak up your products it, it feels so good on your face (esp early mornings) and it blends beautifully. I have always used a dense kabuki brush for my liquid foundation and it would leave streaks with the beauty blender you will not have that problem. It's deff a sheer to medium coverage application but I'm sure you can build it up with your foundation. I honestly would recommend it. YOU NEED TO HAVE THIS IN YOUR COLLECTION!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by lexeelayne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Blue

AMAZING! I was very skeptical paying 20 bucks for this, but it has changed the way I apply foundation and makes it a beautiful finish with no streaks. I use the pointed end for concealer. I will occasionally see people not DAMPENING it before use. Make sure you do that it will make a world of difference. Buy this:)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by EmilyHobson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The pink sponge is HEAVEN SENT! It's true! I hated how foundation looked on my face no matter how I applied it. Sponge, wedge, brush, fingers you name it, it didn't work for me. There's no other way to put it other than it applied foundation beautifully. It's worth the price and no you won't be disappointed. Just look at all these glowing reviews!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 3:07:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

This is a great sponge - no debate there. However, I didn't need this in my life. It's difficult to clean but I don't really mind. But what I do mind is that it's just so gosh darn expensive! And It only truly works on FULL COVERAGE foundations. Anything from light to medium coverage, the BB sheers it out way too much like and I find that it absorbs the majority of the product. I only find this useful on foundations that I know will make me look cakey because it will sheer it out to a more flawless coverage but I don't wear full coverage foundations too often. I do highly recommend it for under eye concealing though. Bottom line - if you enjoy full coverage foundation like MAC Studio Fix, Kat Von D, Estée Lauder DW, CG 3-n-1, etc this is for you but if you're more like me and prefer medium coverage (MUFE HD, YSL Touché Éclat, BB creams) you might want to skip. Because I find myself almost never reaching for this sponge, I wish I got the RT sponge instead -_-

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like most people I was skeptical of the beauty blender. I figured brushes would be the best, but I was so wrong. I took the plunge and bought a Beauty Blender and it literally changed my life. My makeup looks absolutely beautiful and flawless when I apply my foundation and concealer with the BB. You will not regret it! Go and get it! It's amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by SHUTUPvalleygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't normally write reviews, but those of you who are (rightfully) skeptic about trying the Beauty Blender -- take the plunge! You will not regret it. There's a reason why this sponge is used by makeup artists the world over: there is no other tool that compares.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it uses up more product than comparable application methods. Yes, it does thin out a foundation and make the coverage more sheer, which to many people is undesirable (however, there are ways to work around this). But to those of us who are makeup perfectionists, there is NOTHING that comes close to the natural, beautiful finish that the Beauty Blender provides. This baby makes your makeup look like SKIN -- even heavy, full-coverage foundations can look natural when applied with this.
I'm not sure why it works the way it does, but my bet is that it has something to do with the little "pores" of the sponge. They're larger than the pores of traditional makeup sponges and I believe the texture is intended to mimic the texture of skin. If you're someone who wants a "poreless" look, maybe this isn't for you, but the smoothness and uniformity that this sponge gives is like perfect "real" skin.
Since it significantly thins out the coverage of makeup, your application methods will change with this tool. I've found that if I desire a heavier-coverage look, I'll apply my foundation in sections with a traditional brush and then immediately after finishing a section, I'll blend it out again with the BB sponge to get the right texture. One downfall is that using the Beauty Blender does make my makeup application time significantly longer than using a foundation brush, but I think this could be attributed to the fact that with this I know I can get an essentially flawless finish, and so I'll spend more time blending.

One thing I'll note is that the cleanser marketed to clean the Beauty Blender (Blender Cleanser? I'm not sure what it's called) isn't necessary. It's overpriced and doesn't do anything special, and it smells bad. The sponge should be washed before each use, and propped up on the stand/packaging to dry in between. I've found that baby shampoo is the best cleanser for it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No