MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 12/7/2014 11:39:00 AM

Let me start off by describing my skin. I am 21 years old. I have an oily T-zone with large pores, but my cheeks are so dry they sometimes peel if I don't moisturize. My skin tone is very yellow (to the point where I look jaundiced in the summer), but I'm so pale that my veins look green through my arms.

Naturally, I have the worst time trying to find a foundation that meets all my needs. The qualities I desire most in a foundation are the following:

-How well it matches my skin tone (NO pink please!!)
-Medium, matte coverage
-How long it lasts before the need for touch-ups
-How well it provides a canvas for contouring, blush, and highlighter.

Revlon Colorstay in Buff has been my go-to for years even though it casts a bit gray on me and I find the finish a bit chalky. However, since it's among the only drugstore foundations that aren't horrifically pink-toned (Maybelline Fluid Touch, I'm looking at you!), I've stuck with it for longer than I should have.

Enter MAC Studio Fix Fluid, many people's HG but one I've never bothered to take a look at in person. The nearest MAC counter is thirty miles from my house, so when I went on a whim with my friend to the IMAX, I had to check out the MAC counter in the Nordstrom there.

I walked over to the counter and a large, jovial man was immediately available to help me. I simply said, "Do you have a medium-coverage foundation that actually matches my skin?" and he came back about five seconds later with Studio Fix Fluid in NC15. He used an applicator to blend it into my jawline, looked pleased with himself, and showed me the mirror.

"Honey, it's perfect."

I couldn't believe my eyes. I asked to try it on my arms, neck, and the rest of my face, as if something so good could only exist in dreams. He happily obliged. It truly is my perfect shade. In my entire foundation-wearing career, I have found several "close-enough" matches, but nothing like this. This color, my friends, is my skin in a bottle. I bought it for $27 immediately, and thanked him with religious fervor.

Of course, I tested the wear when I got home. I went out for five hours, played arcade games, and danced, and not a single touch-up was needed. Granted, I used it over a thin layer of primer (Almay Luminizing Primer) and under a thin layer of translucent powder (Rimmel Stay Matte), but that's standard protocol with all liquid foundations. The foundation has no offensive smell and the bottle is easy to use (maybe a pump would be more hygienic though.) I like the rubberized grippy top since I'm a klutz and drop things all the time.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with Studio Fix Fluid. I'm wearing it right now as I type this and I would recommend the formula to combination girls like me, as well as oily girls. I would also recommend this line to dark skinned girls since MAC has such an incredible shade range for its products, including cool and warm undertones. The wear is fantastic, it's mattifying, doesn't oxidize (that I've noticed) and is reasonably priced for what you're getting.

I would not recommend this to dry-skinned ladies and ladies who want a more sheer coverage; it's quite heavy. Also, if you're looking for a "dewy" or "luminous" finish, this won't be it.

Studio Fix Fluid in NC15 has exceeded my expectations. I am so happy I've finally found my foundation soulmate, and I hope that this foundation will be someone else's too!

on 12/6/2014 6:48:00 PM

Personally I really disliked this foundation. Ever since using this I have broke out awfully, and yes I do cleanse my face properly. Also I found it cakey around my nose and chin. So not worth the price, also find it a cheek how mac expect you to pay a bit more for a pump.

on 12/3/2014 3:00:00 PM

I absolutely swear by this foundation! I have experimented with others, but i always end up being drawn back into studio fix!! Its the perfect amount of coverage, almost full without looking cakey or orange. I have this in shade NC15, as i have very light skin, it is a perfect match annd blends really well. I love the way this feels on the skin, especially accompanied with a good primer! The only issue i have with thia product is the packaging, i personally think its silly not coming with a pump, and having to buy one seperately. However, i wouldnt let that stop you from buying!! The price is understandable, MAC is pricey anyway and with this product you get what you pay for!! Ive had mine for atleast 3 months and theres plenty left in it. A little goes a long way!

Also, the only dissapointing thing is the extremely pungeant smell! It smells very much like paint! Ive had people tell me they like the smell though, i think it is a little too strong, but i guess the performance of the product is what matters and it is AMAZING! Always get compliments on makeup when im wearing this!

on 11/30/2014 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

So, I use this foundation in the shade NW10. This is a great pale shade (I believe it's the fairest in the range) for girls who are always running the risk of looking orange even when using fair toned foundations.
This is super blendable, on the day I first tried this out I was told that my skin looked so much more flawless and my foundation much more natural than a usual day. It's got a pretty medium-full coverage to it, and a little goes a long way when applying which is great as I don't want any waste product on a more pricey foundation. It's got a slightly matte finish which is something I enjoy in a foundation, but I like to apply my Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder over the top of this to set it, however the appearance of it on it's own could also work. It's not cakey looking at all.
The packaging is nice, it's quite elegant looking due to it's simplicity, but still manages to stand out on my dresser. I would not recommend using this without the pump. When I first got this foundation, my local MAC store did not have any pumps left in stock, so I took it home anyway and found it quite difficult to use and control without the pump. After about a week or so I managed to get a pump for this and it's so much easy to control how much you want and much easier to apply. I've heard that some people have had to pay extra for the pump however my MAC store gave it to me for free, but I can understand that having to pay the money especially from a brand like MAC could be a nuisance.
I have dry and sensitive skin and this didn't make my skin react or break out at all which I loved, and I like the feel of it on my face; the texture is lovely.
This is very long lasting, the MAC website claims this lasts 8 hours and I would definitely agree with this and maybe even go to say that it can last even longer than that, 10 hours would be the limit but it certainly lives up to the claims. It doesn't oxidise or gather on my face either which is good as I find some foundations have a tendency to do this in the winter when my skin is drier, however this maintains its flawless coverage throughout the day.
Honestly, the only thing I would change about this foundation is the smell. It's not nice; kind of an acrylic paint type smell. I'm not sure why it does this or what ingredient they have that makes it act this way. It's not unbearable, I can't smell it once it's on my face, but it's just unpleasant when applying and kind of weird.
Overall, I do love this and I do think it's worth the £21.50 you pay for it. It's super buildable and the coverage and staying power are amazing.

on 11/20/2014 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Good foundation i wear this for nights out and parties etc. only bcuz i always break out the next day. I know its this and thats why i use it only sometimes. The finished look is worth a few flare ups the next morning

on 11/19/2014 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I absolutely adore this foundation. The coverage is flawless and looks amazing! Still trying to find a foundation better than this! It doesn't appear oily on the skin. It looks even better with a primer. The only cons I have with this is that I can't find a perfect match for my skin, it just seems to make my skin look dull. I don't like the smell (smells like acrylic paint) and it doesn't come with the pump! Overall, it's a great foundation!

on 11/18/2014 8:47:00 AM

I had to get a couple different colors to finally find the right one, but once a did - I'm in love !!!! Def my HG!!! I have tried several others .. MUFE, Estée Lauder, Bare Minerals, store brands etc. And this one is by far the best. It stays flawless all day and I don't even use a primer . I love it and will never go anywhere else!

on 11/17/2014 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a wonderful foundation and my favourite one. This is a medium coverage and lasts 12+ hours and looks flawless. I have very dry skin and like all foundations I moisturise and prime and it glides on beautifully

on 11/9/2014 12:49:00 PM

I love this product but the pro long wear is way better if you have oily skin. I tend to go to this one during the winter when its not 100 degrees out here.

But I am venturing out to new foundations just to see what is out there since I been wearing this foundation for over 12 years.

on 11/6/2014 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

i have 2 shades of this, NC30 and NC35. I have very oily skin and I have big pores. I have tried other foundations like revlon colorstay but it was too heavy and looked ashy but with this one, it is perfect! It's looks like my 'second skin'. When I apply it, I use a stippling brush and it looks flawless and airbrushed especially if you make sure that you blend,blend, blend. A little amount of product is all I need, just a tiny drop. It doesn't look cakey, just beautiful matte finish which is perfect for oily skin. I also love how MAC has that very flexible shades. I use NC30 and NC35 alternately and both matches my skintone. I'm in love with MAC studio fix.