September 17, 2014 | 1997 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by redlipscurvyhips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this on a whim a couple of years ago and now it's the only mask I use. I have extremely oily, acne, and blackhead prone skin. At first I just used the mask mixed with equal parts of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (the combo of the two is what makes it so amazing). Make sure to use a non-metal bowl and a non-metal utensil to mix it together (the clay and vinegar pull heavy metal toxins from anything metal).

Lately, however, I've added activated charcoal to the mix. I just use two capsules and pull them apart and stir it in with the rest of the mixture. It makes for a pitch black scary looking mask but it seriously extracts all of the dirt, oil, and crud out my pores. I'll leave it on for 10-20 minutes and to take it off I soak a washcloth under hot water and press it on the skin to soften the mask and also open the pores. Then, once the mask is not so tight on my skin I'll start rubbing it off in circular motions to help exfoliate.

Once it's all off, I wash my skin with a mild cleanser and use a good moisturizer along with facial oil such as argan oil or rose hip oil depending on the weather/season. I'm left with completely clean, radiant, and super soft skin. If I do have a pimple or two they'll dry up and be gone in the next few days. Don't be alarmed if your skin is super red where the mask was applied. It happens because the mask increases circulation to the skin where it is applied. It happens to me every time I use it and it takes 30-50 minutes for the redness to completely dissipate. So I wouldn't recommend doing this mask right before you have to go somewhere important.

The only con I can think of is that I havent noticed any reduction in my acne scars. Also, if you have extremely dry skin this might be too much for your skin so definitely spot test it if you still want to try it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

You wouldn't expect it looking at it, but the Aztec clay is pretty awesome. I have oily, ruddy skin with big pores on my cheeks, nose, and chin - pores so big that applying anything opaque on my face (foundation, concealer, this stuff) will suddenly be dotted with pinprick holes. I have only occasional acne problems though, usually on my jawline where I'm resting my chin in my hands or hormonal breakouts. The big issue with me is redness.

I picked this up at Sprouts for about 9 bucks. Since you're only using a teaspoon of it, it will last years. Be careful when opening it because there is only the plastic lid between you and the powder - there is no cardboard circle like some companies do with moisturisers and stuff. Because my skin is not particularly sensitive, I tried it with apple cider vinegar which makes it smell godawful, but it starts fizzing and bubbling and then turns the clay powder into a sort of mousse-textured paste. This is the best form and I think is the easiest to apply. I use it once every three days. Some people with dry or sensitive skin might want to stick to weekly.

Smear it all over your face in a relatively thin layer because any thick areas take a lot longer to dry. A lot of the time there are patches that have not completely dried after 20-30 minutes on my face, but I wash it off at that time anyway, because much longer and my skin will itch like crazy. The process of it drying and tightening on the skin is what makes it "pulsate" and your skin will very likely be quite red after you take it off, as if you got a sunburn. This fades in about 30 minutes after the first time - my first time using it took 45-60 minutes to fade. I noticed that the skin on my neck really doesn't like the clay, so I try to only apply it to my face and the very edge of my jaw.
To take it off, I like to have a washcloth on hand whether I am in the shower or not and wet the cloth, then press it gently to an area of my face to loosen the stuff that has really dried. The clay will soften and then come off pretty easily on the washcloth. It'll leave a bit of a stain, but it comes out in the washer. I work on one area at a time so that I don't do any damage by scrubbing. Make sure to moisturise afterward no matter what kind of skin you have. I attempted to re-try argan oil as a moisuriser after this and it continued to not work out for me very well, so I just use my regular Clinque gel instead.

What I didn't get: any visible pore gunk pushing to the surface, noticeable pore disappearance, breakouts caused by skin purging, or any scar fading.
What I did get: smooth, soft skin that was notably less red after the "sunburn" faded with maybe a slight shrinking in pores, a good time rocking around my house singing Wild Thing with all the wilds replaced by the word swamp, and it seemed like my foundation (Hourglass Immaculate) went on smoother and easier.

Overall I really like this mask and would repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I finally decided to give in to the hype and try this clay, along with apple cider vinegar, for a facial mask. I have skin that is generally good, but it sometimes becomes a little congested and I get a couple of blackheads on one cheek and my chin area. The first time I used it I made it a little thicker than I could have gotten away with but I noticed that (at least for me) the thicker I make the mask, the more tightening and especially, pulsating, I experience. My skin is left feeling really nice after I use this. Cheap and effective! I use it once weekly.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Rasha123

This is the best mask I ever used . It make my skin vey clean and help my acne skin to be more clearer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product!!!! It's gentle and amazing, and if used correctly, has great results for the skin. Because I have so much course hair I do not think I will use this on my hair.

I purchased this product from the VitaminShoppe but I guess they sell it at most health food/vitamin stores.

I bought this for a number of reasons. I try to keep my skin care as natural as possible bc I wear makeup almost daily...so to make up for it, I only use natural items in my skin care routine. I also love masks, and use various masks 4-5 times throughout the week for various skin care concerns. I have extremely oily skin in the summer, I sometimes need my pores around my nose purged...I also have a small amount of hyper pigmentation that I try to treat with all of my masks. I bought this mask bc I recently returned from Nicaragua, and I felt that my skin needed to be exfoliated. Before I made it out the house to purchase this item, I came down with a bad cold...and colds make me feel ruddy and my skin feel ruddy...so I used this when I finally felt back to normal to revive my skin from all the wear and tear. It totally felt like a spa treatment! Tightened my skin, cleared by pores and overnight refined the texture of my skin. I can only imagine what continued use will do. To use...I mix with equal parts apple cider vinegar and mix. I apply with a makeup brush, one thin layer, let it dry, then another thin layer. I then let it sit until totally dry. This can be uncomfortable bc the skin is very tight. I then run warm water on my hands and apply it to my face slowly rubbing to remove. After I follow up with apple cider to tone (my normal toner) and Shea butter (this is my normal nighttime routine). Love love love.

UPDATE: It takes almost exactly one teaspoon of the clay and one teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (organic) to apply two thin layers of this mask to my face (there is a tiny bit of extra). Also, there is really no need to make a thick paste, it is really a waste of product. something the consistency of reduced wine or vinegar (a syrup???) The consistency will be watery, but at allows the mask to dry smoothly to the skin. I will probably have his container forever with bi weekly use of this amount.

UPDATE 10/23/2013: I LOVE THIS STUFF! I try to use it twice a week, if I use more I only use in the area I have an issue. It's great, calms my skin, refines my pores, and helps get rid of hyper pigmentation...I am never getting rid of this product!!!! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by 4everbeauty21

This doesn't do anything besides make your face feel really clean didn't do much for acne or blackheads bummer:(

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by helloxkitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Other

This is such an amazing product! I am almost 25 and my face has been worse in my adult life than it ever it was in my younger years. I have literally tried every product out there aside from going to a dermatologist. I had some short term success with many products and any time I would start to feel excited that I found the "magic" product, I'd wake up to more acne! It was really taking a toll on my self confidence! I started using some 10% benzoyl peroxide cream which did dry up the acne but unfortunately, it left me with hideous dry patches that wouldn't budge regardless of how much exfoliating or moisturizing I did. I almost preferred the acne because at least I could put makeup on that and not look like I had a skin disease!
I came across this somewhere online and read a bunch of reviews before deciding that there wasn't much to lose considering how reasonable the price was, plus I thought what's another product to add to the list!
I ordered from amazon (my favorite) and spend about $12 for a 2 pound container including shipping and I'm pretty sure this will last about a year and I use it a lot! I mix with equal parts of ACV and just try to make a thick paste. My chin is my problem area so I usually just apply there. I leave it on from 20-40 minutes. I actually enjoy the pulsating feeling because I feel like I know it's working! I've seen a lot of people say this is difficult to wash off but I haven't had any problem, I just splash my face with warm water until I feel things soften up and then I just kind of rub gently and keep rinsing until its all off. I've noticed my face feels a little hot and looks pink after rinsing but it make my face sooooo smooth!! The ugly dry patches disappeared after my first use and it was a big moment for me! I use this pretty frequently, I've been using at least 5 nights per week and have had no problems. After applying I normally apply an oil free moisturizer.
If you have acne and feel like you've tried everything out there with no luck, try this!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by lucilleholly

This stuff has saved me. I have always believed in the power of mud/clay after applying some from a stream when I was stung by a bee for the first time at age 5 and that's why I gave this a try. Starting a year ago for a time all I used were natural products for my acne and it worked. And then I went overseas and my skin freaked out and it was especially bad because I couldn't get natural products (tea tree oil, jojoba oil, etc). Now that I'm back at home my skin is okay but I have these weird bumps under the skin all over my face that just give me a rough, old look. I was using a lot of products for acne scarring and I think it was making my pores clog up. So I stopped doing everything and for a week all I've been doing is this mask every day, after showering when my pores are open. I only mix it with water. I found that if it's not exactly smooth, rubbing it into the skin will smooth it to a paste. I rinse it off with warm water after 15 minutes and immediately after rub in unrefined extra-virgin coconut oil. That's all I do everyday and the bumps are gradually disappearing. Another week and I should be fine. Also the remaining acne I had on my chin and jaw are gone too. And no acne products! It's great. Also, each time after doing the mask, there is gunk that was pulled out from the pores but that are still sitting on surface so I remove them with a clean nail, tweezers, or a gentle exfoliating sponge. I really like how this is "the world's most powerful mask" but that you can do it everyday with no adverse effects. It's so gentle and not drying (unless maybe if you mix with apple cider vinegar, don't do that if you plan on using every day). I definitely recommend this to anyone who has tried everything for skin issues and feels like giving up. Sometimes simple is the best way to go.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by CaiLatte

Using this once a week for my sensitive combination skin (with ACV, and coconut oil to moisturizer as soon as I wash it off), has been fantastic, and makes my skin feel cleaner, less greasy (as it gets in the summer) and has consistently sucked the ick out of any hormonal/bacterial blemishes. But most folks here have been saying that. What got me the most excited about this product was something else entirely. I had a fungal thing on my chest and d├ęcolletage endearingly called "haole rot" (by Hawaiians; it's common in sunny/island areas, but really everywhere, and on darker skin it causes whitish spots - haole is a derogatory slang term for white folks in Hawaii - but on pale skin looks like red or tan age spots, which is just LOVELY to see pop up in the summer). The usual remedy for haole rot, officially called tinea versicolor, is slapping some Selsun Blue on there and letting it sit and burn away for a few hours, like every day, for a while. Tried that, it was gross and messy and smelled like a hospital. And did nothing to get rid of the spots. I'd totally given up, and was accepting my fate as a speckled person (my bf has mild vitiligo, so he thought it was cute and ironic that I should also be spotty), but then I was using the Indian Healing Clay as a face mask and thought, if this stuff can suck out more crap from your pores than a Dyson vacuum, maybe it can do something about this haole thing, which is a topical fungus, right there on your outermost layers of skin. I put some of the mud on my chest while I did my weekly face mask - and I swear - the minute I dried off from the shower the spots had diminished drastically. It had looked like a rash, and suddenly it was really only noticeable if you really looked hard. After a few more times, it was totally gone. Tinea versicolor is super common, especially in the summer months, because its often transmitted by sharing damp towels at the beach and is kept alive and spreading by moisture - ie sweat - so I can only attribute this to the Clay's drying power. Everyone complaining of haole rot seems to be frustrated by the effects of rubbing gooey Selsun Blue on themselves all the time, but in case anyone here has it, I'm telling ya, this is the only solution I've found thusfar, shy of going to a dermatologist for medication. Screw that. This clay is awesome.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by Missconsistency

I had been itching to do muddy facial mask since it has been a long time i haven''t done that sort of detox. My skin was beyond clean after this mask. My skin was able to drink up serums better and i had noticed a radiance in complexion. It is over the top drying which is why you must have your favorite serum and moisturizer to use right after the Klay mask. Its perfect for summer when oil is at its most high levels on face and elsewhere leading to clogged duct hosting to dirt and bacteria mingling with oil to birth unwanted zits situations to be put to an end for good.