April 18, 2014 | 1930 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 8:42:00 PM More reviews by hedgehog2484

I have been getting into sheer reds lately and kept reading recommendations for N.Y.C. Sheer Red on the boards. Overall with this brand, the quality is sometimes "what-you-pay-for", but very reasonable for the prices. Still, I tend to overlook it unless there are recommendations. I wasn't impressed at first as Sheer Red seemed darker and more pigmented than I was expecting and applied unevenly. However, when I applied this over balm, this became a soft rose-red. This is very wearable and flattering for me if I use it over balm. I have very fair skin with lots of pink and pigmented lips for my complexion. The price is under one dollar. I buy New York Color at Meijer and it is also available at Target.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by nattyd16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this red! As other reviewers have mentioned, it is not too sheer or too matte/intense. I am typically uncomfortable wearing reds during the day (okay at night too!) but this l/s took away that fear.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 10:40:00 AM More reviews by jsnack

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this lipstick! It's my new HG! It's the perfect neutral red for my light/med olive skin. Not sheer, which I like. But not thick and opaque either. Perfect consistency. No smell. Not drying. Love everything about it. Definitely repurchase over and over again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2008 2:27:00 AM More reviews by umfaisal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this lipstick! It is the perfect red. I just bought two sticks this weekend because it is always sold out in our local Target and I was lucky to find some.

And you can not beat the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 11:50:00 AM More reviews by murphysmomkk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great red lipstick - not too sheer, but not really matte and thick either - actually, I think it's just perfect. It's just a plain true red and no weird glitter, no smells, lasts very well, and it's cheap - actually it is perfect except for I hate the lid - you can't swivel it all the way down and I hate that - but overall, this is a winner and right up there with any expensive brand. I love NY Color lipsticks - they are really really good quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by sana_j

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like other reviewers have said, this is most definitely not a 'sheer' red. I don't believe this is a blue-red. If it were, I most likely could not pull it off. I'm a GGG nc40-42, and the only red lipsticks i have successfully used before have come from mac and nars. more specifically, mac dubonnnet, which is a very warm red. in contrasst, i believe this is a neutral red, with raspberry type undertones...I mean I can see this turning pink on me the second it begins to fade. I don't think I'll use this often, I prefer my mac dubonnet. But I am not too upset about it due to the price. It's definitely a wearable red, but not my fave.A bit too bright for my taste, and not a fan of the scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2008 10:45:00 PM More reviews by centerfuse

Now here is an inexpensive true sheer cool-toned RED to rave about. I love my Besame, but I get the same feeling when I see the way my lips look when I use the NYC Sheer Red--with my fair skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair--red, but not screaming red-at a fraction of the price. This is *not* a quickly disappearing gloss, either. Keeps the lips hydrated and very pretty.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2008 6:02:00 PM More reviews by jenzene

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For the price, it's definitely worth getting anyway. It has very little staying power, but I just love the color! It's a great warm red that isn't too tacky.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by SexyLittleMe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

It is a tad purple. It is very dark, but still sheer & I plan on using it with my Retro Red to make it darker.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2008 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I generally don't spend a lot of money on red lipsticks because I never use them up, and I find many reds to be so bright, they border on clownish. I found this one at Target for 74 cents and I was very pleased with the color. It's definitely not sheer, and not bright. It is more of a creamy, muted blue-based red; absolutely no orange to this lipstick. It was deeper and more opaque than I thought it would be, but looks great on my cool, very fair complexion.