Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

on 8/5/2010 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WANT SKIN CANCER, LISTEN UP!!!

Alright ladies, I absolutely *love* me some sun screen. I love everything about it. The smell, the safety I feel once I get done slathering it on, the memories of me basking at the beach as a little kid with a painted white nose....Hell, I even love not having wrinkles.

But the drawback? Oil. Lots, and lots, of oil.

Used too I'd apply my sun screen, my regular store bought face primer, and then my liquid foundation. A few hours into the day my face would have an even bigger oil spill than BP's.

I soon learned that powdered products were my frenemies, as they helped get rid of the oil yet they left my face looking fake and powdery.

In between being a complete oi-slick versus a powdered donut, I couldn't venture into school looking like that every single day. I looked awful. The oil would run into my contacts, smudging both my mascara and even my gel liner. Or on the days I did wear face powder, no matter how good I tried to make light of a situation, the amount needed to cover up all of my oily areas left me scary looking and unblended. Everyday at school, as I would gaze deeply into the school bathroom mirror, I felt hideous.

I completely and wholeheartedly understand why some people don't wear sun screen. Though I don't necessarily agree with them for not wearing any form of protection, the amount of oil I had streaking down my face was unbearable.

But then came Milk of Magnesia.

Not only did it make my foundation last a few hours longer, it totally matified my face! Just by dabbing on one thin layer of Milk of Magnesia, my sun screen is no longer a burden to me nor my appearance.

The only downfall is that yes, it WILL dry your face out. For me that's not a problem as I tend to be a habitual water-drinker and my face is fine most of the time, but for a lot of people this will dry their skin. I only recommend Milk of Magnesia to sun screen wearers like myself, to naturally oily people, and especially for those who are on a budget looking for cheap simple ways to be beautiful.

on 8/5/2010 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Wow-I am surprised. I've been using milk of magnesia for about a week now and LOVE the results. I found out about it on youtube and figured, it is so cheap, why not give it a try? My first attempt was unsuccessful because I applied it directly to my cleansed skin and it turned completely WHITE. I didnt like the results. After a few weeks, I gave it another try and here is my routine:
Keep some in an old eyedrop bottle for easier application
Cleanse, and tone with Clinique 3 step for oily skin
Apply Clinique Turnaround Concentrate
Apply Jane Iredale Dream Tint
Apply milk of magnesia with fingers immediately after
OR MIX the tinted moisturizer with the milk of magnesia and apply
Apply Jane Iredale pure matte powder and other makeup
Thats it! I used to have oil breakthrough after about an hour and a half after applying my makeup. Now, I might have a tiny little "glow" by afternoon, if that, so I just blot a little and powder my nose. I am shine free for the rest of the day. I just keep looking in the mirror to check because I cant believe my face is not an oil slick!
I realize some have expressed concern with the PH-I have not had any breakouts or adverse reactions with this-I think the oil gives the milk of magnesia something to "adhere" to, & with the layer of toner and moisturizer in addition to that, the milk of magnesia is not in direct contact with my pores. I dont know, just my observation. My skin has never been clearer actually. But if you are not oily, this stuff would probably tear your skin up-not for you!
I love that it is so inexpensive and when I think of all the money I spent for 1/2 oz bottles of mattifiers that didnt work-Wow this is definitely the best. For anyone on the fence, try it! But you do have to practice with the application. If you try on the back of your hand, you will see how much better it applies either mixed with moisturizer or just on top of moisturizer. Just practice with it for awhile.
My makeup used to break up and blush would disappear in a matter of a couple hours. I'm sitting here right now looking in the mirror-I applied makeup at 8:00 AM and it is now 7:30 PM and I only touched up with powder ONCE! My face doesnt really get super shiny later in the day, just this dewy satin look-much better than what I used to have.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

EDIT: A lovely MUAer has informed me that you can buy the original mom in boots, superdrug and lloyd's pharmacy!* It is probably in the laxative section...
*I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere locally. I'll try some other places and edit if I find it.

I agree that this is probably not safe to put on your face. However, I just can't deny its oil absorbing properties. This stuff is amazing both as a primer and to control oil. I apply it with a cotton ball. Do not use the flavoured ones! In the UK we only have the mint one (according to a supplier) so if you want the original, you have to import it. It costs around £10-£12 off ebay (including P&P) and it takes a while to arrive, but it is seriously worth it. If you don't have oily skin and just want to use this as a primer, dilute it a lot. This stuff is very strong so diluting it too much is better than not enough.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Just my 2 cents here, speaking on purely a level of cosmetic chemistry. Hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but this is NOT GOOD to put on your face.

The pH of healthy skin should be more acidic (ranging from 4.5-5.5). The pH of isopropyl ALCOHOL (and I've tested all of them: 50%, 70% and 91%, they were all the same) is a 9. The pH of MOM is a 10.5. When you put this on your skin, you're putting something on it that is MORE ALKALINE than rubbing alcohol! You're stripping your skin of the lipids it needs to stay healthy! You might as well just douse your face in rubbing alcohol! For point of reference, straight LYE (which eats through plastic) is 14 and common oven cleaner is around 12, neither of which the average person with common sense would even conceive to put on their face.

MOM is the pH that it is because its meant to dilute and cut through over-active stomach acids. Let's keep it in your stomach ladies!

And by the way, I'm oily too. I don't fight it. I embrace it. My skin is functioning how it was designed to. I don't look at it as being a bad thing.

on 5/30/2010 11:33:00 PM

All I can say is you gotta try this! I went from using up 3 oil blotting sheets per day to not even using up 1! This is my HG of primers!! I only wish I has tried it before wasting money on high priced primers that didn't even work. MoM is all you need to keep your skin matte all day!

on 5/30/2010 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I'm so happy that I tried MoM as a makeup primer, it really does work! I have tried other big name brands that cost way too much compared to MoM. I'm always in search for a good makeup matte primer and this is the BOMB! Love it!!!
I apply it on clean skin with a sponge wedge let it dry and apply my foundation. I was out and about 2day and it was hot and sunny outside. I even stood outside in the sun for a little bit and my face was not shiny at all and my makeup stayed looking good all day. Alleluyah! This stuff will be part of my everyday makeup routine from now on.

on 5/27/2010 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is WONDERFUL!! I have SUPER oily skin, and this is the only thing that helps me not get oily!! I really was skeptical about using this on my face, but i'm SOO glad i tried it. If you have oily skin, try this, you will not regret it!!

on 5/21/2010 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

This is my absolute HG.i'd never bothered with primers because i'm so,so oily it just seemed pointless.i stumbled on a review for MoM here and decided to give it a try because we had it in the house.oh my God.now i'm an absolute diehard fan of this.i'd put on my makeup and wind up blotting my face for the first time before i even left the house,and i'd have to blot and re-powder continuously throughout the day.with MoM i don't need to blot until early afternoon,and if i powder after i do it i'm good til evening.i was also thrilled this didn't break me out,i was worried about that since it controls my oil so well.
do yourself a favor and just buy the dollar store brand,it works just as well as the more expensive stuff.this also makes it an insane value since there are probably thousands of apps in a standard size bottle.a little messy,but since it's not designed to be a cosmetic what can you do.
i just can't say enough good things.absolute HG.

on 5/21/2010 2:17:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought a bottle of this (for my husband who was having stomach issues) at rite aid for about 6 bucks. Well it didn't help my husband, but I remembered reading about it here as a foundation primer. I figured "why let 6 bucks go to waste?"

So today I used it, put a little in the measuring cap it comes with, add a bit of water dip my cotton ball (or pad) in it and swipe all over my face. My skin felt dry and tight, I was a little worried, I don't like that feeling. Well I let it dry, wiped off any white patches and continued on with my make up routine. I have been alternating between Maybellines 24 hour superstay and Dream liquid mousse, but was having a hard time with oil around my t-tone breaking through on both foundations. Not today, I put my make up on at 10 today it is now 11 at night and my face still looks good, not perfect, but much better than without this product. I don't know if I would use this everyday as it does seem to dry out my skin, and I worry if I use this a lot, my skin will go into over production of oil, but for occasions where I really need my foundation to last all day (like my upcoming Disneyland trip), this will be my new primer. thank you MUA for opening my eyes to a product that I would have gone to waste otherwise! Would I buy again, yes, but I have so much and will probably use it sparingly it will most likely expire before I run out, but I will buy again when the time comes....

on 5/18/2010 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I was expecting something amazing due to all the reviews I have watched/read but it was no better than my moisturiser (which is an oil controlling one). It works but I was expecting more. My skin is extremely oily and this only controlled the oil for a few hours.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products