April 18, 2014 | 1841 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2009 12:16:00 AM More reviews by ana333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

very very oily...made me break out

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2009 10:45:00 PM More reviews by PaleBrunette

I have never used this product on my face, but I keep a tube of it in my car to apply to my hands and arms while driving. I've been very happy with it, using it this way.
When I repurchase, I will get a higher SPF rating.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2009 4:29:00 PM More reviews by divadriver

Ok I love this sunblock because it does not leave my face white, oily or dry. However, after doing some research I found that the chemicals that this product contains (Avobenzone, Oxybenzone and Parabens) are so bad for our skin. I have melasma (dark spots on my face) which get darker with the sun. This chemical sunblock does not reflect the sun but allows it to go through my skin. Right now I'm trying to find a natural sunscreen... it is not easy since they are too oily. Overall, I would rate this product as excellent if it did not have all those terrible chemicals.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2009 6:26:00 PM More reviews by fantarage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This would have been perfect--the wear, protection, feel, and application were great, but the second day after I used it, 3 little pimples popped up on my clear skin, and on the third day (after using it only two days), I developed a massive, full-on breakout (and in areas I never break out) that took two weeks to calm down. This was the only new product I've used on my skin for months, so I KNOW it was this. Ugh. Basically a breakout in a tube for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Fleet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for several months now, and I believe I've decided it's not for me. My very dry skin requires I use a heavy moisturizer, and maybe that is why it just doesn't seem to work for me.

I haven't ever gotten a silicon-based face product to work for me, whether it be a primer, foundation, or what have you (Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, Monistat Anti-chafing Gel, Smashbox primer, etc). I think it must work better for oily skin. When I put my foundation over this sunscreen it rolls up like dead skin. In fact, one day my husband actually noticed it before I did that I'd left the house with flakes that looked just like peeling skin after a sunburn stuck to my face. The same thing happens with every silicon product I've use, no matter how thinly I apply it or how long I wait for it to dry.

I've switched to the new Cetaphil face sunscreen and while it leave the skin looking more dewy, at least I can get my makeup to apply over it evenly, and get almost the same SPF with wide UVA/UVB protection. I wish this had worked for me since it isn't as reflective as other sunscreens I've tried, but it messes up my makeup too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2009 11:06:00 AM More reviews by carolinekan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I only got this product because apparently in my country they don't sell the Pure & Free Baby SPF 60, but I'm really happy with it. I'm rather paranoid about sunscreens making my face look like an oil slick, but this really did the trick. I bought it on impulse one day and decided to try it on in the car (I moisturized maybe 2 hours before?) and it didn't dry out my skin or anything, and left a somewhat dewy finish. I was initially a little apprehensive because it is rather thick, and doesn't explicitly state that it's for the face (though under instructions it does say "apply liberally on face and body"). I wouldn't recommend this for people with dry skin, considering how my normal already moisturized skin did dry out a little. I do like that it comes in a little squeeze tube.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2009 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Eivuwan

Sigh, what can I say? The hunt for the perfect sunscreen never seems to end. This sunscreen isn't bad if your skin is completely exfoliated, smooth, and moisturized before you use it. However, if it isn't it's either too drying or it doesn't absorb well. I'm using retinol at night and that gives me skin flakes. This just makes the flakes look even worse. It doesn't clog my pores or anything, but it is a bit too drying and thick. So that costs my skin to produce more oil resulting in a shiny face. However, if your skin is smooth and extra hydrated, this sunscreen does work pretty well although it's still annoyingly thick. I prefer a more fluid and spreadable formula. I have looked at the department store brands like Clarins and Shiseido but they're either too drying (Clarins) or too annoying to wash off because you need a cleansing oil to do it (Shiseido). I am going to try the Neutrogena dry touch spf 30 (even though it's unstable) or the healthy defense moisturizer with spf 45 (kind of expensive for me though) next and see what happens.

Edit: on the other hand, I must say that this sunscreen really works. When I was on vacation and out in the sun everyday for a week, my skin did not get burnt at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2009 4:49:00 AM More reviews by divakimmy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Other than the fact that it goes on a little thick, there's nothing bad that I can say about this. Does the job, and I can use it on my face without irritation if need be. It's the only sunscreen I'll use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 5:24:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

I have finally found a sunblock I can use on my face! I never like the smell and the feel of sunblock on my skin esp. my face until I found this. It's very lightweight, non sticky, no white mask-like layer on my face.

Update: This product uses chemical sunscreen avobenzone which I am quite comfortable using for health reasons.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2009 9:08:00 AM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this because it's a great price for its size and especially because CVS is having a 30% off sale (online) on all sun products! Alas, this irritated my somewhat sensitive skin.

I had no problems using the SPF 30 version of this SS (I used an entire bottle last year - took me 8 months so I probably didn't use the recommended 1 T. amt every day) but I don't know if it's something to do with the ingredients but this STUNG my face when I applied it to bare skin! It didn't really make my face red but it was very uncomfortable and I haven't even dared try to put this onto bare skin again.

I tried to use this on top of moisturizer but it still stung my face. Although it has the best finish I've ever tried (LRP Ultra Light SS Fluid was NOT matte at all for me), it's just too irritating.