October 25, 2014 | 996 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by MeggieBeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Please please PLEASE don't do this if you are acne prone! I tried this and my skin looked amazing for about a week and a half... then disaster struck. I'm not just talking "Oh no, one zit before the big dance!" disaster, I'm talking Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Vesuvius, and that giant volcano in Iceland that no one can pronounce all exploded on my face. At once.

Before you start thinking that I didn't do everything carefully or tried different ingredients and mixes with TONS of thought and research, I did. Over three months. Promise. New cloth each night: check. Tried different oils/mixes: check. Ended up and the dermatologist: check (and an expensive check at that)! I wanted this to work so badly that I, too, ignored the warnings assuming that others simply didn't do it "right." Believe me, if you have any slight chance of getting acne, there is no "right" with OCM.

The "purge" is addictive, I'll give it that. My skin appeared to be improving like crazy, but the truth is that the effects are the same as what people describe when they talk about their first drug high. It never happens as well again and it ends up destroying your life, or in this case, face. With this method there is no way for the bacteria to go except deeper into the pores so what happens is DEEP, SWOLLEN, PAINFUL cystic acne and lasting scars and marks that never seem to heal. Also regular whiteheads, milia, blackheads, every kind of bad-head on my head.

Forgive me face, for I have sinned. It has been four months since I last abused you and I'll regret it forever.

I'm so sorry for those this also happened to. I'm so sorry for the people who don't take the warnings to heart. Really. Just go get some good face wash (Neutrogena Oil free acne wash has helped with the milia) and an oil free moisturizer (CeraVe facial lotion PM is a good one) and for your skin's sake STAY AWAY FROM OCM!

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by sexicani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok ladies I have never written a review before but I felt I needed to share my experience.First I'll tell you I am 36 and started to notice changes in my skin large pores and such.I read some reviews about the OCM and thought I'd give it a try.I used cold pressed organic castor oil and organic extra virgin olive oil.I did this on and off for two weeks.Tonight when I did it this is what happened.First I massaged the oil in for about 5 mins steamed my face with a warm cloth removed oil did it again.Then I did a long massage with more oil I'm talking 25 mins.During this I noticed little balls on my skin and couldn't figure out what they were may hands were clean where did they come from?So I took some of them off my face and looked close at them and omg they were hard oil plugs from blackheads.The more I massaged the more they came amazing!My skin has never felt so clean not even after a glycolic peel its glowing and feels amazing like it can breath.The ratio I use was 70% castor oil 30% olive oil. I realize this ratio may not work for everyone but it works for me. Good luck ladies give it a try you may love it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 3:08:00 AM More reviews by zeusandcoco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had struggled with hormonal acne since I was 22, and have awful red scars on my cheeks and around my mouth as a result.
I had tried everything with no success, from Neutrogena, Dermalogica, Chanel, QV Wash, Apple Cider Vinegar toners, body wash, organic brands, EVERYTHING! Nothing worked.
I used to get compliments on my porcelain skin all the time and rarely had a single pimple throughout most of my adolescence, so I was at my wits end trying to work out what the problem could be, as I wasn't even on the pill or any other medication either.
Then I stumbled across the oil cleansing method and was absolutely blown away by the results. The first time I used it I have to admit it was a little strange smearing oil across my face, especially when beauty companies constantly bombard you with these messages that 'oil is bad' and you need to scrub your skin to rid it of all of the dirt, grime and impurities your skin picks up during the day (Seriously, unless you work down a mine shaft or you're a chimney sweeper your skin doesn't get THAT dirty).
The results spoke for themselves. Immediately my skin felt silky and, strangely, happy. It felt so soothed, and my face was literally glowing- it immediately took 5 years off my skins appearance.
Long term, it has proven the best (and cheapest) decision I've made for my skin, while my scars are slowly healing I only get the occasional pimple pop up if I give into my premenstrual chocolate, sugar and general crappy food cravings.
I personally think that this method would work particularly well for those who have dry skin; I'd just assumed that my skin had become the oily type because I always had pimples but it was actually my skin's way of telling me it wasn't happy, or hydrated enough.
If you're going to give it a go, it is important to remember that you might not get the balance between the castor oil and olive oil right the first time; if you have oily skin naturally, it would be best for you to add a little less olive oil and a little more castor oil, and vice versa for drier skins.
You should notice results in about a week, if not immediately.
I like to follow up with a weekly avocado and honey mask, which always leaves my skin feeling amazing and the honey does a great job of reducing the redness of my acne scars.

I feel like I need to add that a lot of the girls who tried the OCM but it didn't work switched the olive oil with another oil like grapeseed or jojoba. Not all oils are created equal and just because olive oil isn't the most glamorous of oils doesn't mean it is no good for your skin, yes jojoba sounds more exotic and 'cosmetic-y' but it doesn't mean it will do the job properly, the original OCM is olive oil and castor oil and there's a reason for that.
So start off with the olive/castor oil version first and experiment with different variations from there, rather than the other way around. Also, use the most organic, high quality oil you can afford. It's not that expensive to begin with so don't be a complete scrooge- you'll only be disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried OCM on my oily, acne prone skin for about 6 weeks. I used grapeseed oil as my carrier oil for the castor oil. I loved the whole process with the hot wash cloth and everything. It felt very pampering.
The first week was GREAT! My skin had this amazing glow and texture. I was amazed.
Then I started breaking out. I knew it was coming. The inevitable purging. Whiteheads and cystic pimples.
After five more weeks I gave up. The "purging" never subsided. Maybe I could have experimented with other oils and found something that would work... But my skin looked like crap so I just went back to store bought cleansers.
I would recommend this to those without such acne-prone skin because before I started breaking out - my skin looked incredible.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 10:12:00 PM More reviews by OhRandi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am using this with my retinoid, Ziana. It seems every pore on my nose and most on my cheeks and everywhere else are clogged with hardened sebum. After spending thousands to clear my skin up and having nothing to show for it, I said enough. I looked for a natural method to rid my skin of the adult acne and clogged pores.

At first, nothing much happened. I mean my skin felt nice and it didn't break me out. But then. after a week of using this, one night I was massaging the oil on my face and it felt like tiny grains of sand were on my face. I looked at my hands and I kid you not, at least 30 sebum plugs were there, with even more coming out. I was amazed. It took a while to soften them I guess (the retinoid probably helped too) but NOTHING has ever been able to clean those out of my pores. Nothing. They've been clogged for years and I've finally found something that works.

It sounded absurd at first, washing my crazy angry, acne prone, scarred up oily skin with oil. But after researching, it makes sense. Since then, I've also switched to a cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo & conditioner and I've had excellent results.

My routine changes every night based on my skins needs. Because of the retinoid I use every 2 nights, my skin is dryer some days. I've had the best results:

On normal days: 20% castor oil, 20% grapeseed oil, and the rest jojoba.

On dry days: 20% grapeseed, the rest jojoba. Maybe a dash of avocado oil if I'm SUPER dry.

On oily days (rare): 40% castor oil, the rest jojoba.

On days I have pimples surface from retinoid use I add a few drops of tea tree oil. It seriously ZAPS zits, but can be extremely drying.

I apply the oil on my face and massage for 5 minutes, put a hot wet rag on my oil covered face until it starts to cool, then wipe and massage/rinse till my skin feels clean. Then splash with cold water to help close the pores. I wait 30 minutes then apply my retinoid OR moisturizer (never both). In the morning I just wash with water (or a gentle cleanser if I used a retinoid the night before to clean it off my skin). Wait 30 minutes and apply Skinceuticals Serum 20, wait another 30 then moisturize if peeling.

I've had wonderful results so far. I'm breaking out from the retinoid purging process but nothing out of the ordinary. (This is my 2nd go round with them so I knew what to expect)

I bought all the oils at Whole Foods, and even 3 or 4 oils is cheaper than buying an entire skin care arsenal.

It's worth a shot if you're like me and have got nothing to lose.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Graceel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have had oily/acne prone skin for years and have recently started researching holistic methods to reduce oil specifically.

This method seemed silly at first, but I was so fed up with oily skin I was willing to try anything before resorting to pills like Accutane, while decrease the body's production of sebum (oil), have scary side effects.

I use a mixture of castor oil and olive oil and within the first use I had less oil the next day.

For me that is big as I would usually use up to three oil blotting sheets a day- I would sometimes even use the first one only two hours after putting on my makeup in the morning.

I've been using this method for almost a month now, so I think I'm out of the woods of any side effects and breaking out. My skin seems less dry (I would have patches of oily and flaky) and some of my acne scars have lightened.

My OCM:
1. dip finger into olive oil and then dot on eyes to take off washable mascara (I don't have to buy makeup remover anymore either!)
2. drop or two of olive oil massaged onto entire face
3. drop or two of castor oil massaged onto entire face
4. place a hot damp wash cloth over oily face for a few seconds until cool.
5. wipe off
*note that by using this method I have eliminated more products: this removes eye makeup, concealers come off, and my face feels moisturized after the cleansing rather than tight (with soap cleansing my face was so stripped of natural oils that I had to immediately use a moisturizer afterwards)

I would recommend anyone with oily skin to give this method a shot, because if it works for your skin it will not only be healthy but will save you money! Castor oil was only $6 at drugstore and I already had kitchen olive oil.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Laiscg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I tried it yesterday, mixing about 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 jojoba oil, massaging for about 5 min and removing with a towel and hot water. My skin is very oily and acne prone, and as I was removing the oil, I felt an instant cystic pimple forming on my chin. I removed the oil the best I could, but still my skin was left feeling very greasy, ugh. I wish so much it had worked! =(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by lucilleholly

A few months ago, after many years of spending a lot of money and energy clearing my skin of acne, I finally had no pimples. Then I was hit with a lot of stressors and my face broke out like I was a middle schooler again. It was very frustrating. My usual routine of exfoliation and prescription topical medications wasn't working so I decided on the oil cleansing method.

OCM has completely transformed my face. First off, the blackheads I've had since I was 12 on my nose are gradually fading away to much relief. I still have some pimples on my chin because acne doesn't go away over night, but my face just GLOWS. My face has always been so dull, and dark looking. Also I am pretty pale. Right now we're in the dead of winter but I've got that summer glow going on without even having a tan. Also, somehow having a glow makes my face look thinner! I think it's because now I have natural highlights on my cheekbones my face just looks much more angular whereas before without makeup I looked a little swollen and round. Now that OCM has worked so well for me, I started other oils to apply afterwards like vitamin E for my acne scars.

So to sum up my experience, I would say i went into it for the purpose of clearing up my acne and can happily say that it did much more for me than that..

I use a mix of olive oil and jojoba oil and am thinking of adding some tea tree oil soon.

update:
For some reason this stopped workinga few months ago. I went overseas and my acne became muuuuuch worse. My usual makeup stopped working as well. I don't doubt the amazingness of ocm at all for acne, but wanted to write a note that it might not work 100% of the time. I had to stop applying any type of oil to my face and use a super mild baby soap. It god so bad that in desperation I used antibiotics and prescription gels which worked but left my face super scarred and dead. I then started using exfoliation and anti-scar serums which worked at first but started to clog my pores. At that point I decided I wanted to go back to my natural skin care routine especially now that I'm back at home. I am gradually incorporating oils back into my routine with coconut oil as a moisturizer. I can't find the time to do ocm anymore but I am thinking of starting again soon.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by AbiWilks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I starting washing my face using this method a few days ago, and I'm seriously impressed with the results so far. I use a combination of jojoba and castor oils for the cleansing, and then apply a little bit of some combination of rosehip/jojoba/tea tree oil to moisturise further if I feel like I need it. My skin has been pretty gross recently, and I've seen massive improvement already. It is smooth, glowing, and any blemishes are getting zapped while they are only just developing. I think the tea tree is playing a pretty important role in blemish busting. I'm a little bit worried by things other reviews have said about their pores getting blocked after a while, so I'm going to buy some apple cider vinegar and make a natural toner to use after cleansing sometimes, probably mainly if I've been wearing a lot of makeup on my skin.

Edit: I got a few red inflamed spots after a while of doing this which I don't normally get, switched to a normal cleanser and it was much better. I'm not sure if I'm just not removing it properly or whatever but whatever I was doing wasn't working. I continued using the rosehip oil as a moisturiser until it ran out and it was fine, and I sometimes use the jojoba now. I don't think I'll be in a hurry to put castor oil anywhere near my face again though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by bigpore

I've been using the OCM for three weeks now. My oily but dehydrated, acne-prone skin is now less oily, and almost blemish and blackhead -free.
I use cold-pressed sweet almond oil only, even though I've read a lot of comments that castor oil is the most important part of OCM. It was not intentional, it's just impossible finding castor oil here in Singapore. But sweet almond oil has worked so well for me, plus I've noted bad reactions to the OCM almost always involves castor oil. (I add about 10 drops of clary sage eo and 10 drops of rosemary eo to 100ml of sweet almond oil, the eos help "balance" my skin.)
I massage about a tablespoonful of the oil into my dry, still made-up face for about 2-3 minutes. I use a muslin cloth soaked in water that just came off the boil, hold it up for excess water to drip out (this cools the cloth down a little) then rest it on my face for about 10 sec before wiping the oil off. I apply the cloth quite firmly, to get some exfoliating action in. I do this 3 times, followed by a cold water rinse. My face doesn't feel oily at all after this, just supple and satiny soft.