November 28, 2014 | 1215 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 8:39:00 AM More reviews by steph11111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Why why why is a product junkie like me only finding out about this product now, well into my 30s?? LOL! I wished I would have know about it sooner...

I am using this for wrinkles, and to help fade some acne scars (from my teenage years). I don't have acne now, but I do have red blotchy patches on my face from past pimples, enlarged pores, blackheads, , etc. My complexion has never been great..

So I'm on week 2, and the results are already amazing... The deep lines on my forehead are already noticeably fainter.. Those blotchy patches are slowly disappearing... My skin did feel quite raw the first week of using this to the point that it even hurt to put on makeup, but that was only for maybe 2 days and then the sensitivity went away. Totally worth a little pain if you ask me :)

As far as the price - I live in Canada and I paid 26 $ for a tube , which is dirt cheap IMO..I've seen foundations that cost more than that! So not only does it work, it's really affordable, especially when you compare drugstore creams that are 3 times that price, and don't actually do anything...

I have the .1%, I use every night followed by a good cream. I can't wait for more time to go by to see the full results, I will update soon :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2011 1:05:00 PM More reviews by jellybebe

First of all, I must say up front that I am not using this product for acne, as I don't have any. I am using it for the anti-aging benefits only. I just finished working with dermatologists for a month and many of them recommend this for younger, smoother skin, and I was dying to try it. One of the derms looks younger now than she did in her grad photos 3 years ago, and she attributes this to daily use of Retin A and sunscreen. I tried the 0.04% Retin A micro and at first, I didn't let my face dry completely before applying (you should wait a good 20-30 minutes after face washing to apply this) and it peeled my face off. I was so embarrassed because my face was red, scaly and itchy for about 1.5 weeks. It was especially bad around the mouth and on my cheeks Then I started waiting for longer before applying it, and I started using a mild moisturizer (the derm's office gave me samples of La Roche Posay Toleriane Ultra, which worked well). Within a few days, my skin started looking better. The scaly red areas on my cheeks and chin peeled right off and now my skin tolerates the Retin A Micro very well, and my complexion is glowing. I had nice skin before but now I feel even more confident about my complexion. The blackheads on my nose are fading and I only need to wear a light dusting of powder. I have contemplated switching to a higher concentration but I don't think it will make a huge difference, so I will continue using the 0.04% indefinitely! It's a worthwhile investment and I have started recommending it to everybody.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:07:00 PM More reviews by Wordplay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First off, this has got to be the BEST product I could have ever used. I have tried a large amount of over the counter medications, and a couple of prescription medications. None of them have even compared to Retin-Amicro! I have a SUPER oily T-zone, but my cheeks are extremely dry. My t-zone is prone to horrible acne, whiteheads and insanely huge pimples. When I first started using this, I applied it all over my face before I went to sleep. It made my cheeks SO dry and flaky, and if I applied moisturizer, it would become super oily. I tried it for a week because I knew there were side effects, but after that first week, I gave up for about two weeks. Then my acne became really bad so I tried it again, but this time I only applied it to my forehead. My forehead got really red, irritated, dry and itchy the first week, but I stuck through it because I was desperate! After the first two weeks, my skin started clearing up a lot and the dryness and flakiness stopped. But for the next two weeks after that, my acne got SO BAD. It flared up so much, but I was on a school break so I wasn't worried about it looking bad. I stuck it through those two horrible weeks and it was soooo worth it. After that, it was all clear skin. It clears up my acne, gets rid of my scars and controls my crazy oil. It still makes my skin a little dry, so I tried a couple creams and moisturizers. The only one that moisturizes and doesn't make my skin oily is Aveeno Positively Radiant with SPF 15. Retin-Amicro recommends you put sunscreen on, so I got that one. When paired together, it's like a miracle worker. I have never felt so confident about my skin. I don't ever have to wear foundations, concealers, or powders! TRULY A MIRACLE WORKER !

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by anneh08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

this product gets a lot of bad reviews but i honestly feel 90% of it is because of misuse. Both my sister and i have tried this and now have pretty flawless skin.

-Don't expect clear skin for 3-5 months
-Don't slather this on your face for your first time..(some people put it on for thirty minutes..then wash it off...then increase it day by day.)
-Why? this product will make your skin peel, burn, and itch like no other (which i experienced quite severely b/c i couldn't wait to get clear skin and put on a LOT on my first night)
-It will make you break out....a lot..(purging)
-Your life will suck for a while.
-BUT IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS YOU WILL HAVE CLEAR SKIN THAT IS LESS ACNE PRONE. (meaning you can reap the benefits of other products instead of worrying of it breaking you out)

So..i love this...and it took a while for my skin to get as nice as it is now..it took around 3-4 months for the intense purging to stop...then one more month for my skin to bounce b/t really nice to a couple of pimples here and there...and now..all i get are breakouts from my periods (one/two pimples)
REALLY give this a try...and don't use so many fancy products while you do..simple cleanser, moisturizer, exfoliator, and SPF. you need this b/c it makes your skin more susceptible to sun burns.

this is my current routine

Night:
-a-d-e cream cleanser (earth science)
-oatmeal "scrub"/"treatment" ( i take plain oatmeal i my hair..i wet it..less water if i want more of a scrub..more if i want more of a treatment..rub this on my face..then wash off..i do this b/c i had excema and it keeps the itchiness away..as well, it soothes my skin b/c retin-a micro is sort of an intense treatment.
-no moisturizer (every moisturizer i've tried has broken me out)

Every 3 days i'll put on a thin layer of retin-a micro to "prevent" acne.

Morning:
A-d-e cream cleanser (earth science)
oatmeal (maybe)
Aveeno spf 30 positively radiant moisturizer / origins vitazing spf 15

i use a microdermabrasion scrub once every..two weeks? the combination of daily oatmeal "scrubs" and retin-a (which exfoliates your skin too..somehow...google it)
i don't need, or should exfoliate my skin too much..and this is a pretty intense "scrub" ...it's the kiehls microdermabrasion scrub

Masks:
i use yogurt masks sometimes when i feel like my skin needs a little moisturizing/hydration..
i tone my face w/ green tea sometimes..

i have normal skin type...not very acne prone anymore! (: and you can be too...if you give this a chance

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2011 9:19:00 PM More reviews by aerinknight

i just started using retin a micro this week, i have only used it twice this week because my skin is peeling and feels dry and tight. i have startedto break out after using this product but i think it is just doing its job and will take some time to see the results. i plan on using at least 2 times a week until my skin gets used to it and then i will slowly increase.
my skin history: moderate acne, melasma (during pregnancy and still now even though my daughter is 1.5 years old), oily skin, medium to dark tone. my father is part armenian so i tan really easy but am now trying to avoid the sun which i love so much due to the melasma - as the sun makes it worse.
i am hoping that the retin a will help with my skin tone, texture of my skin and the mild acne.
i will post once a week to update on my progress. oh, i am 31 years old and don't have wrinkles, just uneven skin tone and mild acne.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2011 8:41:00 PM More reviews by nico678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wish this product had been properly explained to me by my derm and I'm sure it would have worked. I had been on differin for moderate acne for most of my 20's and had relatively flawless skin. I didn't even realize it was flawless because my skin never gave me issues so I didn't pay too close of attention to it, if that makes any sense. So fast forward to me running out of differin (a tube would last a year) and figuring that I had probably grown out of acne and didn't need it anymore. Wrong. I also didn't realize retinoids were good for aging/wrinkles, a fact I now know from struggling to regain control of my skin and researching. So my new derm wanted to try me on retin a micro, the 1% version. She just didn't prepare me for the side effects and was rather callous and cavalier about it. She just said use it at night after washing (along with acanya in the morning, but I could only tolerate it for a month then stopped). I gave retin a micro a year; a year of raw, painful, cracked, peeling, dry, and still breaking out skin. Maybe my derm assumed I would eventually just adjust to it? But I never did, I really wish I did. She just never offered any instruction or advice for my complaints about the irritation. Okay, enough complaining about a bad derm, I would strongly suggest easing into this product if you are reacting poorly to it, and use a good therapeutic moisturizer like cetaphil or cerave. I read things online like "this product works better if used alone, no moisturizer". That messed my skin up! I would rather have a relatively smooth, hydrated complexion that a rough, scaly, peely one. This product rocks if used properly so good luck to those of you just starting it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2011 12:42:00 PM More reviews by akn8v

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this to combat congestion that I get in my t zone and with hopes it helps with the prevention of wrinkles (if there is such a product). I started out just a few times a week and worked my way up to every night and then back down to a 3 times a week. I don't use any moisturizer after this. I use my serums and moisturizers in the morning. I found to get better results that way. This has totally shrunk and cleared my pores. Seems to make me less oily. Fine line improvement...eh guess I need to use it for a while longer and be patient or stop being so self critical. A tiny amount is all that's needed for the whole face because this is stuff is stupidly expensive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by lesliexyang

Let me start off with saying that I have hormonal acne, which mostly occurs only in the chin area. I know that a product is making me breakout if I have any new pimples on my forehead.

I had a really bad reaction to Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse foundation and I broke out all over. My sister had sent me a tube of retin a micro a while ago, but I just got too lazy to apply it on, and have to wait.

Well I got really desperate because it seemed like my hormones were producing so much acne, I went into a depressed mode. So I forced myself to be consistent with using this. Instead of waiting for it to dry, then applying my moisturizer, I mixed a pea size amount in my moisturizer both day and night. (i make sure to wear sunscreen during the day) What a difference I tell you. If I breakout, it's a small whitehead that lasts a day. I don't know how this product works, but it is doing it's thing and that's all the matters.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2010 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Lizziex3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff saved my life! I used to have really, really, really, really bad cystic acne. I had tried Retin-a once before as well as pretty much every other acne treatment prescription and otherwise but nothing helped. Finally I tried Retin-A again and though it took a good six months, my skin has now been free of cystic acne for almost two years. I still get spots occasionally but they clear up quickly.
I use the gel version 0.04% (the second strongest version). One tube lasts 8 months! You only need a pea sized amount for your whole face and neck.

Something to discuss with your doctor is the starting dosage. My dr. started me on the lowest dosage cream because it helps alliviate the initial breakout stage that will happen for the first 1-3 months of usage. This happens when your face starts to heal and your skin is peeling, causing it to be dry, greasy, and have many more breakouts. The cream is a lot gentler than the gel so starting with it in some cases can help a lot! When I finished half of the tube of cream I went up to the 0.04% gel and I was supposed to go up again to the highest dosage (0.1% i believe) but I never felt like going back to the dr. and my face is clear enough so I've used almost two tubes of the 0.04% now.

If you don't have insurance and even if you do the cream can be super expensive. My copay is $25 but the tube does last about 8 months so it's definitely worth it. I personally would be willing to pay $100+ for this cream! It really is absolutely amazing and I don't know where my life would be if I was still suffering with cystic acne...I can't explain it but it was bad.

Oh, I make sure to use this every night before bed. If I skip a couple nights I will get spots on my chin. It was hard at first to remember but after a while it will just become routine.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is very strong stuff. I used it and intitially my pores did get smaller but the price to be paid is too much. I tried this for 6 months, and my previously smooth skin was mottled with break outs and flakes. I now have red dots on my cheeks I never had before.
If you have sensitive skin do NOT use this.