Laura Mercier Secret Concealer

3.8

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Paraffin, Propylparaben. /- [May contain]: Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007).

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased Laura Mercier's secret concealer pot in SC4 in frustration for failing to make Secret Camouflage work for me.

My first impression at the counter was that the pot was compact and travel-friendly. However, the initial negative was its packaging--it's a pot which isn't terribly hygienic as the product is designed for the eye area.
I have very sensitive eyes, but at the time, I thought the packaging would force me to use my new travel brushes. Shame on me for that line of thought! Essentially, I purchased the product while in the final year at college; I was much too lazy to wash my brushes every night in order to use the concealer every day. If anything, the tired-eye appearance seemed to garner sympathy from professors, hehe!

Back to the product itself: this is a lovely, emollient and creamy 'correcting' concealer. With my shade, I get a Bobbi Brown peach corrector affect with less jarring light reflecting qualities; there is enough yellow in the color blend, which allows for effective concealing.

At a reasonable $22, you would get a lot of use out of this product simply because a little goes a very long way.
However, this leads me to another iffy point about the product. In the morning after a long night of studying, I'm tempted to over apply concealer. Also, at first, it appears to have build able coverage without heinous caking. That is the not the case (like with most concealers) after a couple of hours depending on your skin type.

At the end of the day, this is a great product if you use it well and properly. Perhaps lazy and stressed college seniors should consider something like Lancome magi complete, YSL touche éclat or Estee Lauder's double wear. I certainly will as I can try and be more conscientious in other areas of my make-up (now that I have the time and inclination to wear it, lol!).

Last thoughts related to skin sensitivity are that it did burn my eyes quite badly when I accidentally got a smidgen into my water-line. That confirmed that I'll return to square one when I finish the pot!

I am really disappointed in Laura Mercier products, especially this concealer. This has no staying power. It comes completely off after a couple of hours and my eyeliner smears even more when I use this! TERRIBLE!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i use this only for spot concealer since it's a little too thick for my under eye circles. does not last the entire day, but provides good coverage. will fade away by the end of the day even with a good primer.

on 4/22/2011 11:48:00 PM

This concealer has awesome coverage but yet it is not hg material because of few flaws

CONS:
-when i look at myself in the mirror, my undereye appears very light and i am an NC 30 and i got the darkest shade 3. However when i go outside and look at myself in natural light i appear orange. So the color range and selection is HORRIBLE. honestly, if this was fixed it would be my hg concealer.
also this is not for blemishes, won't cover blemishes well.
pros:
-full coverage
-creamy.
-great for undereyes and blemishes.

LAURA MERCIER FIX THIS COLOR PROBLEM but i guess this is the only concealer i can use -.- so apparently im not using this cus the color is quite orange on mee -sighs- i hate every concealer in this world

UPDATE: Never mind, i finished using this concealer and i realized how easily it cakes up no matter how little you use. I'm DEF not repurchasing and it fades away easily. I wonder how i didn't detect this before . So another fail concealer -__-

This concealor comes in a pot with a screw on lid, which it's annoying sometimes but I love how creamy this concealor is. It does cover very well but you do need to set. The colors look a like yellow when in the pot but they blend out perfectly and are great if you have dark dark circles. I would recommend using a little bit and buildng it that way. Using too much will only crease. Great product!

on 4/22/2011 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

#1 was a good match for my NW15 complexion. That's the only nice thing I can say about LMSC. I found the "best" results by mixing it with eye cream, but even then, it looked like cake city. No amount of blending, ring-finger smooshing or buffing helped. I experimented with this off and on for a couple of weeks, then finally gave up. (After trying about three or four other concealers, I finally landed on Mally's Cancellation Concealer. It's not my HG but it's pretty good stuff.)

on 4/16/2011 10:40:00 AM

I got this in the color 1 even though I am medium skintoned. I like the undereye area really bright. It is a salmon color to cancel out darkness and has light reflecting pigments to really brighten the undereye area. When I went to purchase this I compared this to the Dior eye brightener on one eye, but this one looked way better. You could barely tell the dior eye had anything on. I use this in conjunction with a light color concealer sometimes.

on 4/13/2011 10:26:00 AM

I picked up Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer while on the hunt for a new concealer. I was looking for something light that would cover semi-noticeable circles under my eyes. Basically something creamy and hydrating that would lighten my undereyes in order to give my whole face a more polished feel. I'm Italian/Irish with freckles. My tinted moisturizer is the lightest shade (Light Nude). I picked up the light shade (01) of this product based on the advertising of the "Flawless face". However, it had an orange based tint when I put it on. I know that peach shades help fade darker circles - but this was orange. Maybe my circles are not dark enough or perhaps my skin tone is too light for this line of makeup. This concealer was clearly too dark. I returned it and picked up Benefit's Boi-ing in 01! It seems to be more appropriate for my skin color. I'm disappointed but glad Sephora has a generous return policy, as I returned this only a week after purchasing.

on 4/4/2011 7:08:00 PM

My main reason for buying this product was to cover my semi-dark circles under my eyes (I don't have severe dark circles but just enough that my eyes look tired). I bought the lightest shade and I wear LM Silk Creme Foundation in Beige Ivory. Before I use the concealer, I always make sure to apply a moisturizer to my under eye area. Then I use a concealer brush to spread the concealer from the inner corner of my eye on out half way across my eye. Then I dab the area with my finger to blend it in. The concealer is very easy to spread and I use a generous amount of it. It does not look heavy or really that I am wearing concealer at all. I've tried setting it with powder and I think that's when it starts to feel heavy...so I prefer just using the concealer itself. It does have a kind of dewy look but I find it flattering. The product also has staying power. It does not wear off on me after a full day's work. I do notice that it does settle into my one wrinkle under my eye, but after wiping it off the first time, I don't have that issue anymore in the day. Overall, it perks up my eyes and makes my face look creamier and better. I think it does a really good job of opening up the eyes and hiding the dark circles that I have. Lastly, even though the packaging is very small, it will last a long, long time. I would consider repurchasing for sure.

on 3/29/2011 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

NC44 for reference.

I really love this product however I think I have #3 which is way too light and has pink undertones where as I need it to have a bit more yellow undertones. Since buying this I think the line has expanded. I really love mixing this concealer with a warmer one though, preferably the one by nars. It can give an almost too dewy look however so I like to set it with Mac's MSF in Natural.

I'll have this shade around until I either find another concealer that will do everything I need, or I'll buy this in another shade if it actually matches my skin tone! It's seriously the best formula I've tried though, so if you have pink undertones it'll work wonders.