October 25, 2014 | 942 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by spearmintcookie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Alima was my first foray into MMU, and I must say I am so, so pleased! I have oily skin with acne, and am really pale. I wanted something that covered my discolorations but looked natural (which meant, for me, not-powdery, not-oily, and not orange!). I ordered samples in Cool 2, Neutral 1, and Neutral 2. Cool 2 was very, very pink--I'm cool, but I'm not THAT cool! Neutral 1, on the other hand, was GREAT. Matched (almost) perfectly, which I remedied by ordering Neutral 0 and mixing it with N1, about 1:2 ratio, which works great for me in the winter. Come summer, when I'm a little less ghostly, I think the N1 will be perfect. The samples are a great size, and I love how you can buy 6 and, with shipping, it's only $11! And it arrives to the East Coast in 2 days. It took me a while to get the right routine going, but here's what I do for application:

1) Moisturize, since my skin + East Coast winters = dry, scaly mess
2) Wait for the moisturizer to sink in, then lightly dust the primer powder in light all over my face
3) Pour a little foundation into a larger lid (not the one that comes with the samples, since I find that's too small--I'm using the lid from my e.l.f. hd finishing powder, but I imagine there are many things that would work)
4) Tap my brush (e.l.f. powder brush, the flat-top kind) in the foundation, then tap lightly to get rid of the excess. Apply a thin layer to my whole face, then spritz with water. Let that dry, then do another thin layer if I feel I need it. Spritz with water again if it's looking powdery.
5) Apply blush, then very thin layer of e.l.f. hd finishing powder. Voila! I'm good to go for several hours, oil-free, which, for me, is nothing short of a miracle.

I use an oil cleanser at night to remove my makeup and keep my pores from getting clogged, which works GREAT, so I haven't had any problems with Alima making me break out. Highly recommended, especially for those who have trouble finding foundation in the right shade!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by beautymarksandscars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was my first attempt at mineral foundation. I've always been a liquid foundation type, as I love dewy and hydrated looking skin. But around Christmas and up until recently my skin, which is normally clear, broke out fiercely, hormonal I am sure. My mother recommended I try mineral makeup (she uses BE). So I came onto MUA and saw the good things being said about Alima and ordered sample sizes off their website. Out of the 3 colors I picked, Warm 01 I liked best, and had no real issues with it, except I was not crazy about the powdery finish. I figured it was just too much of a difference compared to liquid foundations. Then my mother saw me wearing it and said Warm 01 was way to light for my complexion so I went to order Warm 02 and Warm 03 off the website, but the site was giving me issues (saying I wasn't logged it, when I was) so after many failed attempts, I located a local boutique that sold Alima Pure cosmetics! The owner of the store said Warm 03 looked good on me, so I purchased the full size (she didn't have samples) for much more than what the Alima site sells their full size foundations, $30. I took it home and for a week straight I used it everyday, applying it with my ecotools kabuki. That's when the really strange things started to happen with this foundation, I started getting little red pimples all over my nose, something new to me, and during the day, about 4-5 hours after applying the foundation I would start to feel this weird warm, heated sensation all over my face. I just wanted to go wash it off, but I couldn't I was at work. Strange how the Warm 01 worked fairly well for me, but the Warm 03 somehow irritated my skin? I suppose perhaps my skin started to react to the mica? I stopped using the foundation and have returned to liquid foundation, and the weird heat sensation no longer exists. I wanted this to work, as I've heard mineral makeup is better for you, but in the end, alas, it did not.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2011 12:51:00 PM More reviews by bethelanneh

I wanted so much to love this foundation, but I could not make it work for me. I tried almost every undertone in 2 or 3 shades and just never looked right. One part of that might be my not knowing my undertone (although I found a match almost instantly with Meow). The other part of that is that, no matter how lightly I applied the foundation, I looked chalky at the end of the day. I tried going one shade darker, mixing, different application techniques, but nothing worked.

It is really too bad because I loved the idea of the company, the packaging, and the fact that the foundation did not turn me into an oily mess (like BE or EDM), but apparently it is all wrong for me. I am using Meow now, which was super easy to find a color match with and never looks chalky, no matter how much I pile on.

I'd still purchase other products (like eyeshadow) from Alima, but the foundation was a miss.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by sunnygator007

I had really high expectations for this product due to all of the reviews... In regards to powder MMU I have tried BE, Mac, L'oreal, Almay, Neutrogena... Sadly, I was very underwhelmed by Alima. I'm NC30, MUFE HD 120, I matched to beige 4 in this foundation

Pro's:
Wide color range
great customer service
environmentally conscience company

Con's:
coverage is just OK- even for a MMU
staying powder is just OK

I may have an update a bit later. Been using this for a few days now. I have an Everyday minerals kit on the way... hopefully I will find better results.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by shopgirl087

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I write this review with a grain of salt - I absolutely loved this mineral powder. The color choice is amazing and I was able to find a perfect match. However, it made me break out : ( I have NO clue why ... I'd never had that reaction with mineral make-up. And I NEVER get pimples, so this was really surprising to me. It's a great powder foundation that gives great coverage. It also did make me appear a little washed out in photos, whereas my powder never did ... Either way, I highly recommend TRYING it, especially since they offer sample sizes for you to try before purchasing the full size product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by jacquelynec

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this foundation! You name it, I've tried it. Tried every foundation at sephora and other department stores (mufe, bobbi brown, mac, neutrogena, bareminerals, etc.) and everything would make me breakout or turn into a deep fryer! This foundation is buildable and covers really good! My skin looks so natural that even when my bf says "i love when you don't wear makeup around me" i don't even bother telling him I am (only been together 6 months so not totally comfortable yet lol). Point is, if you want your skin looking flawless without having to slap on a pound on foundation on your face which will make you look cakey, fake, oily, and make your skin worse- try this foundation. Get as many samples as you need ($1.50 for a small jar that lasts me a week). Must try!! Changed my skin!!
UPDATE: still using Alima and at times I think i forget how great it is. Like when you have a long-term amazing bf but youre still curious to see if the grass is greener on the other side. well i tried muf hd foundation the other day and i came RUNNING back to Alima. It gave me horrible coverage plus i know its bad for my skin. stickin to Alima. Good thing Alima took me back lol. BUT i am a little bummed that they increased their prices!! what is that all about, now its $25 for foundation instead of $22. wish they had more sales too but oh well, great quality!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by naivewanderer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I cannot say enough about how much I love this foundation. It is so far the ONLY foundation I have found with a color light enough to actually match my skin (neutral 0). It has pretty good staying power throughout the day, good coverage, and it's hard to tell I'm even wearing makeup. Shipping from the online store is prompt and the packaging is adorable. My new favorite. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 1:38:00 PM More reviews by jenallyce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have tried next to everything Lauren Mercier, BM, physcians formula, and everyday minerals. EM would never go on smoothly, and no matter what always seems to be chalky and look uneven. So I came across this and decided to try it out, its cheaper than many other things i have tried. I love it. Hands down the best mineral makeup I have found. Goes on smoothly, doesn't settle or crease, and lasts me a good 2 months before I have to order more. Great color options too, I apply with the flocked sponge which i also think helps to make it last longer, using a brush just makes product go everywhere. I also have extremely sensitive skin and everything makes me break out, but have had no problems with this makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2010 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Pimpinett

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The canvas I'm working with is acne-prone combination skin with a very oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I have been on the market for a foundation for a while, after a year and a half of disastrous skin since I stopped using hormonal contraceptives, and a lot of things I've been using without problems before now suddenly break me out. Enter mineral foundation, of course.

I have been wearing this daily for about three weeks now, over the Alima Balancing Primer. It generally keeps me reasonably matte for about four hours, which is as good as I can expect from any product; foundation, powder, primer or all three. After that I just blot and it looks fine for another couple of hours. What I really love about this foundation, though, is the coverage and staying power. I get a surprisingly nice, light-to-medium coverage with just one light layer, and it's quite buildable. It's easy to work with, silky and creamy on the skin, the finish is lovely - satin matte and quite natural-looking. Best of all, it stays put. I get easily twelve to fourteen hours of wear or more, and it stays looking good on my skin - no separating, no settling in pores, Everyday Minerals did both on me, and my skin loves it. No breakouts, no irritation, I have recently started treatments with a derm and my skin looks fantastic, better than it has in years.

I'm still experimenting with shades, but all three colours I ordered, after consulting their in-house make-up artist, are good matches and look perfectly fine. I will probably end up ordering a custom blend of two-thirds Olive 0 with one third Golden 2, as the olive is a great match to my cheek but slightly pinker than my neck, but both Beige 2 and Warm 2 are good matches to my NC20-ish yellow/olive skin, with pink discolouration, as well. So. No perfect match in the range, but several close matches and there's the custom option.

On the negative side it's bit messy, of course, like all loose mineral foundations, but that comes with the territory and considering how good this is, it's a very minor complaint. I have never been this pleased with a foundation and will certainly repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by LovelyStars

this is the best mineral foundation i can ever use. it provides medium coverage and actually controls the oil in my t zone area. i am never oily using this foundation.

my shade (which i can't remember now) is a perfect match to my skin tone.

i wish it has more coverage though.

i will definitely repurchase this!