November 26, 2014 | 1975 users online

Powder - Chanel - Double Perfection Compact

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2009 10:14:00 AM More reviews by Murais

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh, Chanel, I bow to thee, purveyor of the finest powder makeup on the planet. I speak, of course, of the old formula. At Chanel prices, I have yet to use up the compact I bought several years ago. I used to use DPC all the time, then began to count the cost, and hence decided to go for something cheaper for daily use. But, that being said, I still have a precious Chanel DPC in Vanilla for those times when I want my skin to look stunning. And I"m always surprised to see just how much of a wonderful difference the Chanel powder makes, after several weeks of using other foundations. As in, 'oh yeah, that's why I love this powder!' Like porcelain cream, perfect skin. Good coverage with a powder brush, good oil control, not overly drying in winter, and just ~something~ that makes my skin glow. No, not sparkles or anything like that. Just something really wonderful about its ability to meld into my skin and take 10 years off. Which ain't bad.
If you don't like powder foundation, you won't like this one. But if your skin does embrace powder, this is definitely one to try. And, oh yes, the compact does look lovely!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2009 11:04:00 PM More reviews by werewolfbarmitzvah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The purpose I bought this powder foundation was as a quick and easy makeup base in the mornings. However, I can not really use it as that, as it looks powdery and cakey and overall fake no matter how I use it. My Chanel MA has been pressuring to buy this and I finally caved, when she applied it, the looks was always a natural semi matte coverage. However, when I start using this at home, it was anything but. Firstoff, I bought this while on vacation, this is called Mat Lumiere from what I understand in Canada, and the shading colors are different. I bought this in a busy counter but the SA matched me about 3-4 shades darker, and I did not notice in the lighting. Anyhow, that has nothing to do with my rating of this powder. I have tried applying this with the sponge provided, the look is heavy, cakey and dry. With a skunk brush it always looks too powdery. With a powder brush, it always applies cakey and powdery as well! On thing it does do well is last, as well as covering out redness, in a natural way, but this did not make my skin look better. So as a end result, I gave up on this product to be my base.

Anyways, I wondered why when the SA applied it, my skin looked so good. I realized it was my Dior tinted moisturizer, that I was wearing every time, and with this applied on top. So now I use this as a setting powder or touch up powder after my TM with a big fluffy powder brush, and it serves that purpose well, as I still have a decent tan. I also have used it to contour.

As a foundation, this was a one star product for me, not bad as a powder though. Would not repurchase, disappointed that I wasted money on this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by katrinalove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I adore this powder. I use it as a finishing powder with a brush (I like the extra coverage), with a sponge as a light foundation on good skin days, and as a touch up powder throughout the day. I dropped it several times and carried it in my bag constantly and the powder and compact never broke. I didn't realize how matte this kept my skin until I stopped using it, no other powder has compared.This made me look poreless, which is far from the truth, as my pores are nothing less than massive. The best thing about this powder, it never made me break out. Perfection. Unfortunately, I'm all out. It lasted me about 8 months with daily use. I've been searching for a cheaper alternative to no avail. Oh Chanel Double Perfection how I wish you were more affordable, it's your only flaw.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 5:03:00 PM More reviews by peachgirly

Chanels Double Perfection compact is definitely my HG foundation. I love it so much that I dont think that I would be able to live without it. It does everything that I would want a foundation to do. It covers up all of my acne scars and it evens out my skin tone. It makes my skin look so flawless and perfect that many people compliment me on how good my skin looks even though my skin is far from perfect. One con that I can think of is the price but I would say that its definitely worth it. :D

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE:
I am returning this product. There is just no way it is worth the price I paid.

The main reason is that I cannot get an even coverage. Some areas of my face "hold" the makeup better than others (even over moisturizer) and even after working carefully to make sure the coverage was even, some parts faded very quickly while others appeared to have a thick coverage.

I should add that I am not a novice at applying powder foundations; I've been using various brands for over 20 years.

There was virtually no oil control with this product either. The whole reason I prefer powders in the summer is to avoid a greasy feel. But this foundation turned shiny very quickly, and did not conceal pores. Even worse, the oily areas turned dark, resulting in a patchy look.

By mid-day I decided to give up. I tissued off what was left of the makeup. I look better with a bare face than I look with this.

To be fair, I'll mention a couple of positives about this product. For one thing, it did not sink into fine lines. For another, it did not look chalky at all. It's possible that it might be o.k. in cooler weather, or for dryer skins, or over a silicone primer; but since I bought this for use in the humid summer on my oily, acne-prone skin, it's not going to work for me.

P.S. Due to oxidation this foundation tends to run dark. If you are undecided or between shades, go with the lighter one. I am NC30-ish and bought 2.5 Creme Beige, and I think I should have gone lighter. (But even with a lighter shade, there would still be the problem of uneven coverage on my skin.)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Ladylynn34

This is the best all around foundation I've found. Medium coverage. Stays matte all day. I'm oily in the forehead/nose and dry on the chin and it evens out my complexion beautifully. Nordstroms offered $40 refills during their Anniversary sale, but otherwise, it's about $50 a compact - a compact lasts about 6 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by patricia69

Omigod this is far the best powder foundation I've ever put on my face and I have acne prone skin. I thought Jane Iredale was the best foundation until i tried this one. It is quite expensive more than $50, but its worth every penny if your face look flawless.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE, there is no words to express how glad i bought this.
GUYS please do not hesitate to try this, worth every penny, I promise.

I LOVE YOU DOUBLE PERFECTION
PS. Im using the medium beige shade

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 11:41:00 AM More reviews by chloie9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

beautiful, flawless product that makes my skin look just that-beautiful and flawless. I've been a Lancome powder foundation user for years (Lancome Dual Finish) and while I've been happy with it, lately I couldn't find a very good color match and it seemed to go oily on me around midday-decided to give the Chanel product a try as I've been so pleased with all my other Chanel purchases. this is a lovely, finely milled powder foundation that does provide coverage and has a gorgeous finish. color match is actually Light Beige (3.0) even though I wear Cendre/Shell (1.5) in all their foundations....the 1.5 in the compact was too pale/ivory however. will update if I have any issues but so far I am loving this powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 9:27:00 AM More reviews by tm1999

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i love this powder makeup it covers well dosen't feel heavy or cakey on my skin. i use the soft beige 1.0 it is the perfect match for my skin. i hope they never discontinue this.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2009 1:21:00 AM More reviews by kabukiKILLER

I think I use Soft Biege, which is closer to a slightly golden mid-ivory than it is to beige any day. I like this product, but I don't love it enough to spend another 50 bucks on one when I run out. The packaging is really pretty, but it makes a woman my age (22) look like a princess with a rich dad that cares about nothing but expensive things. But in truth, I only ever bought this because I heard so many great things about it from different people. I was going to choose between this compact and one by Dior, but this one had better coverage and buildability. It hasn't really elevated any of my skin problems, but I end up having to blot my skin every 4-5 hours or so, which is normal. Overall, it's pretty good for people with normal or combination skin, but I just think you can get stuff as good as this for 25-35 dollars from other brands. As for any foundation, I do not recommend you buy it before checking it out in store. =]