October 21, 2014 | 1823 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2010 5:38:00 PM More reviews by perpetuallycute

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently bought the 'Sensitive - Fragrance Free' version of the this deodorant. I usually use an antiperspirant, but every once in awhile have an allergic reaction to them (even switching around different brands) so I got this to use, at the very least on days that I'll be at home and not around people.

God help me if I wore this around a person! Honestly, it seems to magnify BO like crazy. If I didn't wear any deo, I would smell better than with this stuff. It never seems to dry, so you always have that sticky armpit feeling. I know it's not designed to keep you dry - but why doesn't the product itself dry ever?

Unfortunately, this product was totally worthless for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

I'm very much into the natural thing with skincare; I'm a Dr. Hauschka, Weleda, Dr. Bronner's kind of girl. Also, I have reasonable expectations from natural products.
Alright, this product causes stinging, even when I haven't shaved my armpits. Even with the lightest application, it causes thick, white crustiness that wouldn't look too flattering with a sleeveless dress I plan to wear to a friend's wedding in early spring. And finally, I don't think it offers very good odor protection and this is late winter when I'm not exactly sweating or getting overheated. So, I think I'm going to try Soap & Glory's aluminum free deodorant, which I hear promising things about. Really, really don't like the stinging with Tom's, which lasts a good while.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2010 11:00:00 PM More reviews by aneffigy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Oh, Tom's. We have such a love/hate relationship.

I've bought this twice in the Apricot scent.

Pluses:
- The scent is really nice
- When it works, it really does work; for a natural deodorant, I end up with very little wetness and no odor

Minuses:
- Every few weeks my armpits revolt against this stuff and start burning like mad when I first apply. I cannot figure it out for the life of me. It's happened with both sticks that I've purchased, and it comes and goes. It typically lasts for the first few hours after applying.

After the burning came back toward the end of my second stick, I chose to move on to greener pastures.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by ConversePrincess55

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this product a year or two ago and loved it! I could go up to 3 or 4 days with out taking a shower or reapplying the deoderant and I wouldn't even feel or smell sweaty. Of course, I'm not very athletic so that could've contributed to the result. This stuff smell AMAZING as well! Then why only 4 lippies? Because it seems as if my body's become immune to the stuff. One day, it just stopped working. So I stopped using the deoderant and switched to Dove Go Fresh.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Isane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in the Calendula scent, and I really like the smell! I picked this up because it was aluminium-free which is great, but it doesn't work for me. The first time I tried it I was sweating within a few hours! Now I know it's a deodorant, not an anti-perspirant but it doesn't even control odour at all! I was going to throw it out but I figured I'd try it one more time. I used it on a day off, when all I did was study all day, and I still smelled funky by mid-day. Very disapointing :( Only reason it get's two lippies is cause I love the smell (before applying of course lol)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2010 2:16:00 PM More reviews by sleeptalk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Whenever I see a product that's natural I usually eyeball it for a few weeks and then buy it because I figure hey it's worth a shot. That's exactly what I did with this deodorant so I picked up the apricot scent.

The smell was okay, nothing amazing. The first day I put it on I realized I was sweating like a demon (I know it's not an antiperspirant -- I thought I could get past that somehow I guess) and I had pit stains on my t-shirt. Somewhat embarrassing... But then later in the day I noticed that it wasn't even keep the smell under control.

The following day I gave it another shot because I was only doing yard work anyway. Well after a hour of working I just didn't feel fresh or comfortable. An hour after that it felt like it had set my armpits on fire! They burned and had a small rash that took a few days to go away.

While this product may work for some -- it isn't for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2010 6:43:00 PM More reviews by nintastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Keeping in mind that this is simply a deodorant, and NOT an antiperspirant, I'd say it worked well.

My BFF and I swore by this stuff for a cool minute in high school, but then we realized we were still sweating through t-shirts. We never stunk, but I'd say the telltale wet marks were almost as embarrassing, if not worse.

Worked nicely as a deodorant, but the lack of antiperspirant kind of defeated the whole purpose for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2010 8:43:00 PM More reviews by birdiecat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I use the unscented, I think it works the best... The scented ones seem to just end up mixing with BO and smelling weird... This deodorant really works for me, I apply it in the morning and it lasts all day (even after the gym)!!! Works even better than conventional deodorants/antiperspirants and it's easy to find. I really don't like that it has propylene glycol in it though... That's really the only downside.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by kellywilson0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I decided to give this a try after reading a lot about how aluminum in deodorants isn't good for you...I bought the Apricot scent, and it actually smelled quite good! Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing to control odor or sweating. I tried it out on a day when I was working from home (in the winter; literally just sitting in front of my computer all day), and I couldn't believe how little it did...I don't usually sweat excessively, but this stuff definitely didn't work for me...I typically have very good luck with Dove's deodorant, so I'm going back to that!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by poopinshmicken

I bought the apricot scent. It irritated my skin and dried it out so bad that I couldn't wear anything except lotion on my underarms for two weeks. Needless to say I will not repurchase.