April 17, 2014 | 985 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2007 10:48:00 AM More reviews by safiamafia

So I went to buy the oil free liquid foundation I've used before but ended up trying this. The coverage is pretty good, the shades are very good if you have olive/yellow toned skin as I do (I'm St Tropez). The only thing I would say is, it's very good at controlling oil on my face, however, since I'm combination skin, it can also end up looking slightly dull and powdery. I like a bit more of a dewy look, which I think looks healthier and younger. I shall experiment with different bases and update this review to see what works best, because it is a very good product overall. Perhaps a slight shimmer on cheekbones etc might make it look fresher. As far as the packaging goes, it's nice, but unneccesarily chunky. Also, I find that using one sponge gets a bit manky even if you wash it and if you're prone to acne like I am, you have to be careful with hygiene. I buy a bag of sponges and use a fresh one with each application.

Update: Still happy with this! When I wrote the first part of the review I was in Miami, and with the humidity it work really well controlling oil on my face. Now I'm in London and my skin gets much drier, though still combination, so I moisturize really well first and let it sink in for a while before putting the foundation on. My skin isn't perfect, but this foundation doesn't cause breakouts for me. Just change sponges everyday.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 4:20:00 PM More reviews by AxlsRose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this recently on a trip to London. The SA applied it to my skin in St Tropez which amazed me cause looking at that shade, I thought it was too dark for me. It looks good though. I was sceptical - would it turn shiny and gooey on my oily / combination skin by lunchtime? Would it turn orange? I was assured it wouldnt. So I purchased. Boy am I glad I did!

This is the best foundation I've ever used. I dont think I''ll ever go back to liquids! It stays amazingly matte on my skin which normally turns shiny after a couple of hours. It stays on beautifully all day, and gives my skin that polished beautifully made up look, without looking unnatural or 'clownlike', if you know what I mean.

This is expensive, but it's worth it. Im St Tropez but I admit that I had just spent 4 days in a very hot Rome when I bought it, and I think I was a bit more tanned than usual. It's still a good match, but I will go down a shade or two upon re-purchase.

I love this. The sponge (and I hate using sponges cause I consider them to be dirty in terms of collecting bacteria) washes out beautifully and dries quickly. I would however have liked this to come with a spare sponge, just because Im so anti-sponge once theyve been used a couple of times. However, I can wash it out so that's ok. The packaging is beautiful. The sponge fits nicely in it's own little compartment behind the foundation pan and it has little holes in the bottom to let air into the sponge, hence lessening bacteria.

I love this. Best foundation Ive ever worn, beautiful colour, lasts all day and looks polished and beautiful, easy to apply, beautifully packaged, doesnt change colour - Im happy with my foundation at last
UPDATE: Since writing the above I have repurchased, in the shade Budapest, which is a better match. However, as with the first, I have found that this foundation hardly lasts any time at all - you hit pan in a matter of weeks, and it's all but gone within a couple of months. Not long enough for the hefty AUD $98 I have to fork out to buy it from Mecca. Furthermore, I think it does nothing for my oily yet dehydrated prone skin. Am going to try the NARS Balanced foundation next. This isnt good value for money, and I now think it's too drying for my skin. It's good in summer in the intense heat though, in terms of anti shine. Otherwise, it's too dry, too hard to apply just doesnt last long enough to justify the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2007 4:57:00 AM More reviews by reggi

I recently purchased this (was debating between this and smashbox's function 5 powder foundation, but the SA at sephora convinced me to get this one) and so far my skin hasn't had any negative reactions towards it.

The finish on your skin is smooth and silky! and it looks very natural. However, it's very sheer coverage so if you're looking for something to cover up imperfections then i wouldn't suggest this foundation. my skin is usually clear with occasional pimples but i usually just cover that up with another concealer and use this over my whole face after that.

the only downside is that it's pretty expensive! It's $45 for the foundation with the compact and refills after that are $35 i believe. but the SA told me that you get more powder from NARS than from any other powder foundation so maybe it's good? Anyways, I will repurchase if I can't find anything else better!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2007 7:33:00 PM More reviews by nikkola

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Pros: the lightest shade is the best color match i have ever had after years of trying pricey foundations. Looks much more natural than LM foundation powder on me. Not oily, not matte, just like healthy skin. UVA/uvb spf

Cons: wish this lasted longer- fades after only a couple of hours. Light to medium coverage

I will keep using and just reapply throughout the day. Looks good even when reapplied.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

OMG....i wanna kick myself for spending sooo much money on this stuff!!! First of all it is a cute compact "i'll give it that" but gosh i was so let down. I went to Sephora initially to get some Hoola Bronzer but saw this. Tried this foundation on in "Sedona" shade. It was an impulse buy but it looked really nice. Perfect even. Went home and that was that. The next day i put this on went out to the movies. Got out the movies went to go home flipped down the mirror in the car and WHOA! I looked like an umpalumpa!!! MAN i was sooo pissed!! Awwww maaan. I mean don't let me exagerate lol but i did notice some oxidization. And i hate that with a passion. As for the quality of the product looks really dry on and doesn't cover well at all. And i did give it the benefit of a doubt and tried it out like 3 more times and i got the same results. I still use it once in a blue moon when i'm just chilling around the house or just to lightly powder my nose. I don't let nothing go to waste. But yeah..again the compact is nice =)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2007 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Cristy1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this foundation in Fiji and I really, really like the texture and finish of this powder! It gives light to medium coverage and is not chalky or powdery in the least. It maybe controls oil a teeny bit, but nothing really does IMO. I have very large pores, very oily skin and some sun damage (I'm 37) and I'm prone to breakouts, and this stuff is pretty darn good-no zits, and I;ve used it since January. It also has no fragrance. I like to use a powder foundation because you can just slap it on quickly and go. The color Fiji is maybe a teensy- weensy bit pinkish on me (I'm a MAC nc35, Px yellow-orange), but it's not too bad; besides, the other shades were too light. Anyway, I love this stuff applied with a big brush, then I buff it in a little with the brush, then I use the enclosed sponge (which is very good, BTW) to then buff over the humongous pores on my nose, cheeks, chin and forehead and it ends up looking really natural. I highly recommend this to those of you who love a powder foundation but don't like the chalky, heavy, powdery finish so many of them give the skin. I plan to repurchase (I've just hit the pan), although I do want to try Stila's Illuminating Powder Foundation! Ah, once a makeup junkie, always a makeup junkie!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by villen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Damn, this is the most amazing foundation!

Always liked the idea of powder foundation (I mean, the convenience!), but they never seem to work for anything that making my skin look hideous or even causing breakouts.

Now, this just looks totally convincing, like I'm not wearing makeup and just happen to have perfect skin! The shade, Deauville, matches my skin exactly, better than any other foundation of any kind that I've ever tried (a few!).

SO impressed. It's beautiful and hasn't given me any bad reactions (my skin is sensitive and acne-prone).

I have to order it from overseas (why I didn't try it before), and it's expensive without the added cost of shipping, but I am most certainly buying this again!

I apply this with a MAC #182 brush (too heavy with a sponge or puff). For about 3 minutes after application it looks obvious and overly powdery, but then it sort of miraculously blends into my skin and looks absolutely perfectly invisible.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2007 8:20:00 PM More reviews by tambien

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Looked great at first - even, matte, full yet natural coverage - but turned orange on me as the day progressed, and my skin eventually started to react negatively to the foundation. I found it to be too pricey with the amount of product you get. Sedona was a good match for my yellow-toned, GGG, NC42/43 complexion.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2007 12:28:00 AM More reviews by romina1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product because of the easy application. Also the color seems to be a perfect match for me. I am a medium skin olive with a lil yellow tone latina with oily skin. This is not drying out at all. Evens out my complexion and does not look heavy. Although If I am experiencing some breakout, I have to use an extra spot concealer because this is not full coverage but a natural look. I used to use tinted moisturizer from wet n wild which was pretty good for a while...but this is much more time efficient and gives better results. I love the packaging too and the lil sponge that comes with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2007 1:10:00 AM More reviews by candibear

I got this in Barcelona...best foundation match ever! The only bad thing is that when my face does get dry it can show my flakies,but it isnt that noticeable unless i look really close on my face! It feels extremely silky!! i mean SILKY! I couldnt stop touching it when I was at sephora I was like wow it feels so nice. It is really expensive so if I do buy it I might want to look into ebay. But other than that it works great, it gives me a flawless face. AND it doesnt give me a yellow orangy look AND it doesnt give me a cakey look either. I love it!