Thierry Mugler Alien

3.7

on 11/2/2011 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Well I have to admit before trying Alien I didn't really think it was in my fragrance category, typically liking light airy florals such as Pleasures, Juicy Couture (while not airy) and Chance Eau Tendre but since I was looking for a new special fragrance I have tried literally dozens so I figured after reading the reviews I'd give it a try.

Wow, the initial out spray (Just ONE spray) on my wrist smelled a unique pretty floral that i had never smelled before.... but literally within minutes morphed on my skin into some odd strange very annoying smell. Being outside a few hours later outside, I continued getting odd whiffs of this perfume and it was nauseating to me, that is all I could smell on the wrist of my jacket, on the top of my glove, just awful on me. I seriously of all that I've tried in these past few months, while many I didn't like and had to scrub only this one and and the other one from Theirry Mugler, which was Womanity which had the same effect I seriously could not wait to wash off and get my clothes off , including my jacket and coat. It just didn't work with my chemistry and morphed into a horrid strange powerful smell that I couldn't get rid of quick enough.

While I'm sure it may keep that beautiful initial burst on most people for me it just didn't work.

on 10/31/2011 12:56:00 PM

Would I buy this product again???Hell yeah!!! I simply adore it.....It has the perfect scent and it truly lasts till next morning(when I wake up, I can smell the left-overs of the fragrance all over my hair and skin)

on 10/31/2011 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I LOVE this! It's a sharp, peppery floral upon initial application, but then dries down to a more muted, but still spicy, floral, with hints of musk. I smelled it on my friend a few years ago and have been obsessed ever since, it's just edgy enough to be interesting, but not so much to be overpowering, I think.
It's a bit more than I'd like to pay, something like $80 at Macy's for a mid-size bottle, but since it's a stronger scent, you can get away with one good spritz on a wrist that you dab on pulse points, so it does last awhile. I used to have a tin of the solid version of it, and that was good too, just a dab on the pulse points and I was good to go!

Of note: this is the kind of spice that gives some people headaches, so I would recommend skipping this as an everyday perfume if you work in an office or other small, enclosed setting.. it's perfect for nights out with a dark, sexy dress, or with a witchy halloween costume, etc.

on 10/22/2011 6:14:00 PM

This is my favourite fragrance ever, i heard about it after smelling on someone at a party, all i could smell was her, and so many people commented on how lush it was....i went to boots the next day and sprayed some on my arm...OMG i didnt like it, it smelt nothing like it did on me as it did on her....so i left it. I got home and was putting my shopping away and all of a sudden i got a whiff of the girl...that lovely smell, it was me, my arm where i sprayed...after a few mins it kinda changes and just smells so devine....i wear this every day and every time i wear it i get comliments.

on 10/22/2011 4:56:00 PM

Such a unique smell, people actually stop in shops to ask what it is! But sometimes its hard to smell when you have it on, simply because you get used to it, so you tend to spray more on, and as its a strong smell, it can become very overpowering!
But its defiantly a must, long lasting and so lovely!

on 10/20/2011 5:23:00 AM

I just recently discovered this perfume and I am so drawn to it. I can't stop smelling my wrist when I wear it, and the lasting power is incredible, so it must go well with my chemistry. I love waking up the next morning and it is still on my skin. Extra bonus is my husband loves it and loved it even more when I showed him the bottle and the name!

I love big heady florals and oriental scents and I am a huge fan of jasmine... but this is just overkill. This is the only fragrance ever to had given me a headache. All I smell is vanilla and jasmine so this fragrance does not seem complex or well-composed - which I expect at that price. The bottle is lovely but that is it, at least for me. This is cloying and generic and I really don't know what TM was thinking.

on 10/13/2011 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

Mugler is synonymous with really strage yet enticing scents. Angel was one, Womanity is the other, and now I'm trying Alien.

I bought this after a co-worker told me that she was wearing it. It left a path wherever she went.

I love the smell and I love the bottle, but now that I've been wearing it for a month or so, I can't smell it on myself anymore....Maybe I've gotten used to it, but the whole point of perfume is to give myself the pleasure of smelling it. Instead, others smell it on me, which I guess is okay. Because of this I find myself spraying more than recommended which is making the bottle empiter faster. Le sigh =/

I also feel like I accidently may have gotten a version that isn't as strong. It's definitely the eau de parfum version, but it's also the refillable version which I fear may be a different formulation than the regular eau de parfum one I was trying on in the store.

But besides this, I love the weird smell and will be going back to Macys to get it refilled when I run out.

on 10/12/2011 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love this perfume. Everytime I wear it, I get many compliments. Very nice and long lasting.

on 9/17/2011 11:31:00 PM

I sprayed this on my wrist today at Sephora while I was at the mall... the conclusion I've come to is this... it smells likes grapes. Period. It gave me a headache. Period. Definitely not for me! I will say the staying power is unbelievably good. ONE spray on my wrist and I can still smell it 7 1/2 hours later. I'm not a fan of smelling like fruits though, and this is pure grape to me. No thanks.

UPDATE: ok, a few months passed and I decided to give this one another shot. I kept seeing fantastic reviews everywhere, and it made me wonder if I was just missing something the first time I tried this. So again, while at the mall, I sprayed two sprays on myself while shopping. About 30 minutes later, I went to the food court to get a drink. The man taking my order was about a foot's distance away from me. While I was mid-order, he interrupted me and said "WOW do you smell good!". A little caught off gaurd by his enthusiasm, I laughed and said thank you. He took my order, I said thank you and have a good day, and his response was "I will. Would be better if I could tag along with you all day just to smell you".... Ha. I've never received this kind of reaction from a male about a perfume. Then, as I continued shopping, I overheard two men talking just after I walked past them about "how good that girl smelled". So, my conclusion now is that I was missing something originally, and I now pick up more amber and mystery in this scent, not just the grapes I smelled before. Grapes might be the initial first impression, but it turns into something so much more. The other conclusion... men love it. Point blank. I plan on buying a bottle. The original EDP is what I got complimented on, but I have also tested Essence Absolue and loved it as well. It is definitely still Alien, but softer, warmer, and creamier. Not sure which I will buy, but I will own one of them! If you're curious about this scent, try it. The reaction and compliments you'll get from others might just be enough to win you over!

Popular Fragrances