October 25, 2014 | 1886 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lizrocks8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this primer for 2 years. It does not neutralise redness as it claims to but does leave your skin leaving extremely smooth and makes foundation appear flawless.
I preferred the old pump bottle to the tube - it had more product in it and the pump allowed you to get every last drop. When I've almost used up the tube I always have to cut it in half and scrape the remains out.
I have oily skin but this does not break me out. You only need a tiny pea sized amount for your entire face. If you use too much, the product will roll up into little balls as you rub it in and you will feel very greasy.
The price is definitely too extreme for such a tiny amount of product although it can last up to 4 months.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This feels nice on my skin and makes my foundation easier to apply. However, it really does not make my make-up last any longer.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 6:51:00 AM More reviews by Efeemck

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Makes no difference to your makeups staying power. Don't waste your money

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by FinnyB

Oh my god HOW is this so popular I'll never know!
I was so excited to buy this but thankfully only bought the travel size.

I used this first with ELDW and within half an hour my skin started looking and feeling all greasy and horrible, this never happened with either of my Gosh primers or my Catrice one.
I really wanted to give this a chance so tried it again with Bourjous Healthy Mix and again, almost instantly my skin was begging me to remove this awful product!!
Not one to give in too easily, I tried it again with ELDW (a foundation which has NEVER let me down) and yet again my skin became slimy and shiny. Yuck!!!

Please try get a sample first!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by CKHerrera

Pointless and useless! Didn't even notice a difference from wearing this. If anything my face got more oily and made my make up literally sweat off my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by 77pink

Hate! Made my foundation look heavy and settle in my fine lines. I barely have any lines but this primer helped the foundation find them. Also made my skin break out badly. Will never use again. Not for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by FireyHeart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

What's the hype? I see no difference in my makeup whatsoever with or without this and it broke me out even in places I don't usually break out in! I guess this primer is just not for me.

Price: Ridiculously expensive. About forty dollars for a full sized bottle (1 fluid ounce) and seventeen dollars for a travel sized one (.4 fluid ounce). I bought the travel sized one for about eight or nine dollars while it was on sale at Nordstrom Rack. Still too expensive. I had really high hopes that it would control my oily t-zone and help my makeup last longer. It did neither of those for me.

Formula: Silicone based with a "slip" feel. When I first heard about face primers, I initially thought that they were supposed to be like eyeshadow primers. You know, something for your makeup to stick to, but whatever. It has a weird petro-chemical scent which I am not bothered too much by, but some people will be.

Performance: I really hoped that it could do what so many people hyped about. Sadly, it didn't do any of those for me. I applied a pea sized amount to my entire face and applied my foundation and powder afterwards. I saw no significant difference in coverage. As the day progressed, I actually got even oilier and even quicker than without it. I looked into the mirror. Were those white heads I saw? I ignored them. By the end of the day, I had four huge pimples in places I don't even break out in. After not using it for a while, I used it again in hopes that maybe the first time was just a fluke. Nope. Same results. I ended up with white heads that would have turned into major zits if it weren't for me taking it off right away.

This primer may be someone's treasure, but it's my trash. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price. I'm not sure about other silicone based primers and non-silicone based primers seem to be just like moisturizers in my case, (Benefit's Porefessional primer seems pretty good and I might give primers another chance sometime) but this primer is just not for me. I don't know who I should recommend this to, because everyone's skin and needs are just so different, but I will definately not repurchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by laylasat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know about this, to me, I don't feel like it makes a difference with the make-up. Compare to no primer, this certainly gives me 1-3 hour of extended make-up wear but besides that. I don't see or feel my make-up going on flawless. I also don't like the feel of this, it's really heavy and greasy feeling. I like Revlon primer better than this. It provides a tint and a smooth complexion.. I also like the tinted smashbox primer too!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Lilil95

This primer does make my makeup last longer but it broke me out horribly and made my foundation look so heavy! I do not recommend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2013 7:18:00 AM More reviews by Kittykatss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my teens I had pretty bad acne on my cheek area ( I am now 40) , and because of my sensitive skin I ended up with deep scarring and large pore issues on both cheeks. I have a really pretty face and it is really sad and upsetting at times that there is not much I can do about it – I have tried microdermabrasion and all that , but with deep scars nothing really helps and am not vain enough to get surgery which may make it worse. This really knocks my confidence.
Anyway – back to primers ! I have tried everything that claims to smooth out texture and improve the general look of the skin , tried Nanoblur ,L’Oreal Primer , Benefit Porefessional, Clinique Pore Minimizer, Estee Lauder Colour Correcter, Collagen Creams ..you name it. I had always heard rave reviews about the Smashbox primer , and despite always coming across it when travelling etc I never really got around to buying it and thought it would be too greasy for my oily T zone.( I stopped using liquid foundation a long time ago , as I found that the foundation would slide and settle into pores and make me look greasy and exaggerate my defects. For the last five years or so I have only used mineral powder which works really well and keeps me looking fairly natural and provides cover too.
Last week out of the blue I decided to go and get some Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I was actually really glad that there was no sales assistant at the stand in Boots , as this puts me off and makes me more conscious . I noticed that there was a ‘ light ‘ non oily version of the primer. Though not cheap I am ready to pay any price to make myself feel and look better. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best £25 pounds I have ever spent – and am willing to spend this every month if I have to ! Oh wow – I put this on the next morning before work , let it dry for a few minutes and then gradually layered my mineral powder over. Even in the hot summer weather my face stayed made up through the commute to work on the sweltering tube , all day at work , and back at 8 pm at night! I was amazed I even sat out in the sun in the park at lunch – not only did it keep my powder foundation put – my skin texture and pores and scars look DRAMATICALLY reduced – I feel more confident already – I did not even need to touch up once ! The only thing I did notice by mid afternoon was tiny oil through my pores on my nose – but negligible and nothing a blotting paper wouldnt sort , no need for more powder which just makes the nose look cakey.
I have been using this for 3 days or so now and am loving it. I was really tempted to go and get the green primer as I do have some redness/discolouration from the scars / hyperpigmentation ( I am Indian) , but when I went in to Smashbox the other day the girl did advise me that the green one would definitely be oilier and heavier – to be honest – the redness / discoloration is not too much of an issue as my powder sorts this – it was mainly condition and texture of skin. I am actually feeling so much better . My face looks natural and so much better. For anyone with the same issue as me – please try this out ! Don’t use too much as it will leave a whitish layer ..if this happens just brush off the excess with a powder brush.
I have not yet tried the primer with liquid foundation but will do – in terms of cover I get enough from my mineral powder so not in a hurry to do this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No