August 22, 2014 | 1643 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2013 7:18:00 AM More reviews by Kittykatss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my teens I had pretty bad acne on my cheek area ( I am now 40) , and because of my sensitive skin I ended up with deep scarring and large pore issues on both cheeks. I have a really pretty face and it is really sad and upsetting at times that there is not much I can do about it – I have tried microdermabrasion and all that , but with deep scars nothing really helps and am not vain enough to get surgery which may make it worse. This really knocks my confidence.
Anyway – back to primers ! I have tried everything that claims to smooth out texture and improve the general look of the skin , tried Nanoblur ,L’Oreal Primer , Benefit Porefessional, Clinique Pore Minimizer, Estee Lauder Colour Correcter, Collagen Creams ..you name it. I had always heard rave reviews about the Smashbox primer , and despite always coming across it when travelling etc I never really got around to buying it and thought it would be too greasy for my oily T zone.( I stopped using liquid foundation a long time ago , as I found that the foundation would slide and settle into pores and make me look greasy and exaggerate my defects. For the last five years or so I have only used mineral powder which works really well and keeps me looking fairly natural and provides cover too.
Last week out of the blue I decided to go and get some Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I was actually really glad that there was no sales assistant at the stand in Boots , as this puts me off and makes me more conscious . I noticed that there was a ‘ light ‘ non oily version of the primer. Though not cheap I am ready to pay any price to make myself feel and look better. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best £25 pounds I have ever spent – and am willing to spend this every month if I have to ! Oh wow – I put this on the next morning before work , let it dry for a few minutes and then gradually layered my mineral powder over. Even in the hot summer weather my face stayed made up through the commute to work on the sweltering tube , all day at work , and back at 8 pm at night! I was amazed I even sat out in the sun in the park at lunch – not only did it keep my powder foundation put – my skin texture and pores and scars look DRAMATICALLY reduced – I feel more confident already – I did not even need to touch up once ! The only thing I did notice by mid afternoon was tiny oil through my pores on my nose – but negligible and nothing a blotting paper wouldnt sort , no need for more powder which just makes the nose look cakey.
I have been using this for 3 days or so now and am loving it. I was really tempted to go and get the green primer as I do have some redness/discolouration from the scars / hyperpigmentation ( I am Indian) , but when I went in to Smashbox the other day the girl did advise me that the green one would definitely be oilier and heavier – to be honest – the redness / discoloration is not too much of an issue as my powder sorts this – it was mainly condition and texture of skin. I am actually feeling so much better . My face looks natural and so much better. For anyone with the same issue as me – please try this out ! Don’t use too much as it will leave a whitish layer ..if this happens just brush off the excess with a powder brush.
I have not yet tried the primer with liquid foundation but will do – in terms of cover I get enough from my mineral powder so not in a hurry to do this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by sivadore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Despite applying this very lightly all over my face, it began or roll and smear when I started to apply my foundation. It goes on smoothly, but it feels like you're rubbing silicone sex lubricant on your face! After I let the product dry, I started to apply my foundation, but the Photo Finish started to roll up and flake off as if it were a mask. I thought it was a fluke so I tried again, cleansing my face and applying the primer once more, letting it dry. I tried a different foundation, and the same thing happened again!

Something about this primer just does not work with my skin. The primer, no matter how sparingly you apply it, rolls up like dried glue between your fingers. The makeup goes on patchy and uneven because of this. It's such an expensive product, with such a prominent reputation. I was very disappointed, and would not purchase this product again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

I love this primer. It goes on really well and doesn't feel watery or oily or anything. It's similar in packaging and texture to the NYX Primer but I would probably choose the Nyx one over this one because of the price. Also, the NYX smooths out my face/pores better than this one. I didn't really notice anything outstanding after I used the smashbox one - my makeup stayed on exactly like it usually does using Nyx/sans primer. I probably would buy it again though because it feels so good on my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by kaikaii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Im usually a fan of smashbox & heard a bit of hype about this product so I gave it a try....This primer wasn't good for me. In general I prefer cream like primers over the gel type ones, but I do enjoy the inglot primer (which is similar consistency to the smashbox) however sadly the are nothing alike once applied. The smashbox I noticed immediately made my foundation cakey, uneven & patchy. I have dry skin which with a good primer & my choice in foundation usually goes unannounced, but this primer emphasized and caught on to the dryness. I also live in Aus so for me, the price of this item VS the outcome was a bit of a let down, I wouldnt recommend this item for dry or even normal skin. Maybe somebody with oily / combo would suit it more although I still think it is hard to apply in most cases as somebody commented below.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 1:44:00 PM More reviews by erintotheizzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Rat Garbage. Living in a prairie province, products are sold solely on hype and propaganda. Therefore, Smashbox did really well for a little while when it started selling in Shoppers Drug Mart. It's complete extremes in application- too little and it does nothing, too much and it balls up. Not much of an in-between with this. But if you do get it, it looks pretty good! For about 30 mins and then it enhances every fine line and wrinkle on your face; it cakes and seeps into creases super bad. Not my rec for dry skin unless possibly using a serum underneath.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Juliahdonna

I needed a primer to wear under foundation to make my makeup last longer. I enjoyed the soft feel of the primer but my makeup began to slide off of my face within an hour of wear. I had to reapply makeup more often than if I were to wear no primer at all. Thank goodness I only got a sample size portion of this product as the $47 price tag would not have been a good investment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 10:15:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

PROS:
*great packaging, i love how it's in a pump bottle. definitely more hygienic than a tube or tub.
*sinks into my skin fast!
*doesn't feel oily or greasy just kind of silicony which most primers do anyway
*DID NOT break me out.
*No scent to it for the people that are picky about scented things going on the face

CONS:
*DID not control my oil whatsoever
*Also did NOT feel like it made my makeups longevity any better.
*I also think in my opinion, it's a bit expensive, especially considering it didn't really work for me.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
If you have combination skin you'd probably do just fine with this but to the girls with oily skin you'll probably be left disappointed. Just wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 6:58:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews for this product, but honestly - for me it has been amazing. I've used it for a month now and I thibk I've finally found my HG primer.

You only need the tiniest amount of product, so it lasts a long while. After a month of everyday usage, you can barely tell it's been used at all.

It really smooths out my skin and makes the application of my foundation easier and smoother. It feels silky soft on my face and on days where I haven't been wearing foundation I've just put the primer on as it gives the illusion of a smoother canvas.

I always wait 2-3 minutes after I've put it on to let mtý skin fully absorb it. Then I move on with the rest of my makeup. When I have the time, I wait even longer jsut to get the best results.

Overall, I love this primer and after trying countless of different brands and products, I'm so relieved to have found something that truly works for me.

For reference I have combination skin that get super oily in the t-zone. No acne, but the occasional outbreak.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by greencheek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a primer to control my acneprone/OILY skin. i was originally using the tarte primer...so i got a sample of this smashbox one from sephora. right after using it i was breaking out all over my face!!! and i had actually just calmed down my active acne after years of mild/moderate acne. it took me a couple of weeks to actually figure it out that the cause was this primer. it was the only change i made in my skin routine so i stopped using it a week ago and now my skin has calmed wayyy down. i went back to the tarte primer which is tons better and doesnt seem to break me out at all. i would never buy this smashbox primer again (also for $40 something, so not worth the cost of it!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this about 3 months ago when I ran out of my favorite primer, and wanted to try something new. I talked with a cosmetics rep at ULTA who recommended this primer. I picked up a small size 0.4 oz tube and I really liked the way this was packaged. It comes in a nice transparent squeeze tube so you can get exactly what you need and no more. You can easily tell how much product is left in this. I like the squeeze tube since I can actually get every bit of the product out and get my money's worth. This goes on feeling like a gel with an oily feeling. Not greasy though and it thins out quickly to spread easily over the face. It feels silky once you get it applied. It does seem to set fairly quickly and in less than 5 minutes I can start applying my foundation over this. It does seem to fill in fine lines and I really haven't any complaints with this primer at all other than the cost. Before this I was using Hard Candy primer (which is my holy grail of primers, but hard to find) or Rimmell London primer. Those work as well for much less and I think I will return to a less costly product, but I do like this one very much and I'd buy it again with someone else's money. The price is too much for me considering the drugstore ones are just as good.