MAC Brush Cleanser

4.4

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), SD Alcohol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Triclosan, Red 33, Blue 1.

all i can say is i wish it was a spray pump on it . other then that its a good cleanser.

on 2/9/2011 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a great product. I used to clean my brushes with whatever shampoo, or soap that I use, and for small brushes it works great. But my foundation brushes, (sigma F80 and a regular "flat" foundation brush from Lancome) never were 100% clean, there were always some resuide from foundation. Then I decided to purchase Mac's brush cleanser and I looove it!!! My brushes are perfectly clean now and I really like the fact that I don't have to wait too much until they are perfectly dry.
The only thing I don't like that the paciging doesn't come with a "spritzer" so I have to search something (a contanier) to not to waste any product.
I will still deep clean my brushes sometimes with shampoo, but I will stick with this cleanser for everyday use, I really like it!

on 2/5/2011 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Will never ever use another brush cleansing product. I actually dilute this with 50% water into a small spray bottle. It works very well diluted, so I have no reason to use it straight. This also helps it to last longer, but at $10 a bottle (which I've had for 6 months, and there are still 2/3 left) it is more than reasonable.

on 2/3/2011 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm a pretty big fan of this stuff. It's a really runny solution, with a consistency closer to water than shampoo. I usually fill the cap up with the cleaner, dip the wet brush in the lid, run the brush back and forth in my hand, and then rinse and air dry. I do wish it came with a spray head, because the thinness of the liquid makes it easy to pour out too much and waste product. A thicker formula would be easier to control with the cap it has, but this would work better as a spray. Overall, I like it.

on 2/2/2011 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have always used regular shampoo or high-quality French liquid hand soap with olive oil to wash my brushes. I bought this on a visit to the MAC counter after hearing so many raves. I had washed my brushes about 2 weeks ago, and use a daily brush cleaner on them after each use. I diluted this cleaner about 1:3 with hot water in a glass bowl and cleaned my brushes. I was shocked at how much pigment came out of the brushes! I had to change the water twice. Rinsed them, blotted on a towel and left brushes to air dry. I use E.L.F. Studio brushes, with a few MAC, Studio Basics, and Bare Escentuals. I'm extremely impressed with this cleaner. It deep-cleans brushes much better than regular shampoo or soap, dries quickly, and doesn't smell offensive. I will definitely repurchase and will not go back to any other product!

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I love this brush cleanser. Cleans well and disinfects, but I wish it wasn't as diluted. I wish it was more like a shampoo.

on 1/17/2011 2:35:00 PM

Well this is my first brush cleaner so I don't have a lot to compare to, but its gets the job done with little products. I've been using it once a week to clean my new mac brushes. It easily washes away the product and rinses off cleanly from the brush. It take a tiny dab onto a wet brush and just gently massage it in. Give it a good rinse, reshape and lay on a paper towel overnight to try. I probably will try some cheaper brush cleaners before I buy another, but since this is part of the Back 2 Mac program I'll probably end up getting it again.

on 1/17/2011 1:24:00 PM

It's a very good spot cleaning solution. A bit expensive for my taste, but honestly I can't say I have found anything cheaper that works so well.
The only thing I would change about it is the packaging: I would add a spray pump to avoid wasting any product.

on 1/16/2011 3:05:00 PM

This isnt the best brush cleaner in the world. Dont get me wrong it's great but for deep cleansing I prefer a sulfate free gentle cleansing shampoo with a natural antiseptic (I like Phillip b Scent of Santa fe shampoo) but this works great for spot cleaning and on the go and on location. A lot comes in the bottle for the price as well. This really helps preserve the quality of brushes that can really last a lifetime if you take the right measures.

This stuff works great for spot cleaning. It takes off most of the residue, and disinfects your brushes and dries quickly, but it won't take off everything.

I spot clean my brushes with the brush cleanser every day, and then I clean then weekly with a mixture of olive oil and antibacterial soap. I do this in the evening so they have time to dry overnight so they are ready to use when I get up!

The only real CON I can think of is the packaging. If the bottle came with a spray head, it would work better. Because of the lid thingy, you tend to pour out a lot more than you need, and it usually also leaks down the bottle after you get done pouring it on a tissue. So there is quite some waste if you're not careful.

Will definitely buy again when my bottle runs out.

Video Reviews & Tutorials