Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I am with the "don't like it, would never wear it" team. I had read so many reviews about how wonderful it is and how people always notice and compliment the person who wears it, so I had to see what was it all about.

I tried the perfume version twice in different days and both times my impression was the same. First of all, on me (and to me) it smelled almost exactly the same as in the bottle (maybe slightly sweeter), so I do not think my skin chemistry changed it in any significant way. For the first two hours, the scent was too strong and too oriental for my taste. After 5 hours, the scent smelled very subdued and "common" and after 7 hours I could not perceive it at all, which was a big surprise given that so many reviewers commented on its lasting power!

Otherwise, during the first hours when the scent was on "full power", it made me think of classy, albeit middle-aged and slightly conservative ladies.

I did not hate it and I can understand why some people would like/love it and that in certain persons this could be a very distinctive fragrance. I am just one of them.

Spray and walk through, this is an Elixir ladies!! I like this very much in minute amounts. Again, one spray and walk through on a winter day is perfect if you like woody goodness in a fragrance this is it. However, I would not buy this again as my bottle will last a life time because so little is needed to get the full effect. If this gives you a headache, and it will, you are spraying too much.

Sorry folks but this smells divine on me. I know loads of you hate it, but i just love it. I am going to use it sparingly though.

Edit;
i have changed my mind about this. I returned to work after xmas to find that the colleague who smells like mothbally old ladies, wears this perfume. Everyone talks about how vile she smells. Needless to say I have binned this.

Along with 24 Faubourg, this has got to be the 2nd stinkiest perfume I ever got to smell. I know it is considered as a masterpiece by many perfumistas, I personally don't get it....

I wore this fragrance years ago and LOVED it. Then, one day I thought it smelled different on me than it had in the past. There is definitely a body chemistry thing going on with this scent since others have noticed it too in their reviews. I stopped wearing it but I pine for it once in a while when someone walks by wearing it....it's an unmistakable scent. I should try it again and use it sparingly...maybe it will smell better on me the second time around. I say wear it if you like it but beware, it can change on you out of the blue.

I have to weigh in.
On the right person, this perfume is without compare. I don't care how strong it is, it isn't a matter of strength, it just has to be on the right person with the right chemistry. And that person is, anyone but me. Anyone I have ever smelled it on, it smells marvelous. Walking thru the grocery store, aaaahhh, someone has on AE. I smile and feel great smelling it. On my sister, its warm and soft. Even at a funeral, outside, I catch it on the breeze and even there, I feel comforted and happy. It isn't describable, on the right person, it is just an intensely warm, soft oriental type scent, like their chemistry wrestles the chypre into submission so it only lifts and slightly soaps up the scent. On me, it is unholy - all spurs and cartoon allergen spores, prickling green and fiercely mean into my head. Others suffer, too - at least three times, when wearing it, someone said "i smell bug spray". It was awful. So, while I am enraptured when I smell it on anyone else, anywhere else, if I won the lottery I would PAY someone to wear it around me so I could enjoy it - I absolutely cannot wear it and I have to accept it (not even the fantastic solid in the gold compact....I LOVE that thing......) Absolutely must be tried to be understood. I have exact same problem with Angel, love it absolutely when smelled on anyone and everyone else, hurts my stomach when I try to wear it.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

don't understand how bad people think of it.i really do love this perfume,it is the best in the world for me.i love to smell it on me and of some rare people i meet. it is more than a perfume,it is sentiment about of your feelings(make me beeing better when i'm sad, make me dream when i'm in a good mood,remember me my baby age).

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I despise this! My mother ADORES this. It's an aromatic chypre, very warm and woodsy. But all I smell is a VERY cloying, migraine-inducing scent. It's very chemical. And it's STRONG. My mother gave me a few pairs of trousers she no longer wanted and I had to wash them 2x to get this damn scent off them! Ugh. To my nose, this stuff is as overpowering as Shalimar, Opium and similar scents. No offence intended! If you like those perfumes, you may really like this one.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

When I heard the guy who did the original Cabochard did this, and that this, too, was a chypre, albeit a herbacious one-- I thought this would be THE ONE. The one what? Inseperable bug spray that I adore. Yck. I keep trying though; off and on for over a couple years, every now and then I'll spray this on when I'm in Sephora, just to see. I like green chypres, I have nothing but admiration for the likes of Givenchy III. I don't want to wear bandit, but I get it. This just makes me hanker after sleeping under a mosquito net, which is actually too much of a compliment, because mosquito nets are too romantic and unusual for this.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I sampled this today for the first time and my first reaction was - it's Mitsouko crossed with Youth Dew. I adore Mitsouko but have never been a fan of Youth Dew. Applied sparingly, this is really quite nice and is probably a good cool/cold weather fragrance. Lasts forever and the drydown is quite spicy and more akin to Youth Dew than Mitsouko. It's too potent and heavy to wear now here in the deep south in the heat and humidity, but I will try this again in the fall and may purchase for occasional use.

Popular Fragrances