MAC Frost - Vex

4.4

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol Eye Shadows may contain: Silica, Mice, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Ultramarines, Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yello 5 Lake

on 11/19/2009 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

First things first: I am addicted to MAC eye shadows. That said, I would never have bought this color in particular (despite all of the hype around it) if the MA at my MAC counter had not *really* encouraged me to try it. The color is not what I would consider even remotely pretty in the pan. It appears to be a very light, duo-chrome seafoam green, and I am not a fan of green shadows as a rule, much less most pastels. But I bought the shadow anyway, figuring that I could return it if needed.

(Now this is the part when I eat my words).

This morning I used Vex as a base up to my brow bone, applied some Tone:Grey (from the Tone:Grey quad) on top of my lid up to the crease, and then blended some teal Talent Pool (ahhhh..Starflash) into the crease. Finally, I traced a light line of Phone Number (dark gray) eye kohl under my lower lashes, smudging it a little bit. In my humble opinion, it looked wonderful. I can see Vex working as a base for many different shadows, mostly in the cooler tones. It's wonderfully blendable, and is chameleon-like in its coloring and reflective qualities. A true must-have for any eyeshadow fan (MAC addict or not).

I'm already on my second eyeshadow. Vex is by far my favorite MAC color. Whenever I'm wearing this, even by itself, I get compliments. That is rare for eyeshadows... Love it!

on 10/19/2009 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a nice color. It is one of my first MAC shadows. It is very polyvalent and gives a nice "frosty" finish.

on 9/23/2009 4:21:00 PM

I love love loveee it! I saw my friend wearing it one night and kept having flashbacks of the image of her blinking eyelids.. we went shopping together the week after and I swatched it and fell in love, she told me it was the eyshadow she was wearing that Friday night and all the pieces fell into place.. I don't know what I'd do without it now!

One of my favourite ways to wear it is layered over matte grey, it really makes the duochrome pop.

on 9/16/2009 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Of the 60+ MAC shadows I own, this is the first I've ever hit the pan on. This color, already well described here, is a MUST HAVE for anyone's eyeshadow collection. Its uses are endless. Get it!

on 8/9/2009 8:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh Vex. You have come to exemplify what it is that makes MAC so beloved: uniqueness and versatility.
This is another case of "what is there left to say?" but, nonetheless, I'll put my 2 cents in as to why you must, MUST have this color in your collection.
Another poster described it best when they said it reminds them of an Abalone shell. It is such a tepid color in the pan, but when swatched and, especially, when used with other colors it is so brilliant and original! It's a sort of - creamy, mid-toned gray with a pink/green duochrome that has chameleon like properties, in the sense that the sheen changes based on what you pair it with. It's a beautiful all-over-the-lid color, it's great as a crease-to-brow color, it works wonderfully as a blender shade, it looks great as an inner-corner highlighter - honestly, the possibilities are limitless. And, as a few people have mentioned, it is absolutely one of MAC's more unique colors and a shade that is not dupeable in any and every other cosmetic line you can find.
Personally, I think it's a color that would work *best* on fairer, neutral-to-cool complexions, but I'm almost certain that ANYONE can make this work for them. But, as I can only speak from personal experience, I can say what works on me: and Vex is it!

on 7/30/2009 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

VEX is my all time favorite eyeshadow. I didn't appreciate it at first because I didn't know how to use it but it really looks great with just about anything from purples, pinks, greens, browns, silvers and black just anything! It is so unique I can't even describe. It is worth trying out! You can't see its true beauty just by looking at it in the pan you have to swatch it!

on 7/29/2009 6:58:00 PM

This is literally the only eyeshadow color MAC has that I have fully ran out of. I love me some MAC duochromes! I have NC35/Buttered Tan skin and I love it. But I must say that I think it looks better and shows up much more nicely on lighter and a bit cooler skintones. Yes in the pan it looks weird and indescribable, but on you have a myriad of colors, making it easy to use with any other colors. It kinda reminds me of the colors of abalone shell, with it's pinks, greens, and shimmer. My fave is using Vex on my lid, Carbon on the edge, topped with Club (also a duochrome), Ricepaper as a highlight, and of course Blacktrack fluidline.

on 7/18/2009 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A great greyish/greenish/ pink shadow???
I use this as a go to shadow when I'm unsure where to go! Use it as as lid colour up into the crease with copperplate blended into the crease.
Works great as a subtle wash where you see more of the pink duochrome. When laid down more more heavily it loses the duochrome:(
It is a very soft shadow which swipes easily onto my e/s brush, BUT no fallout! Yay!

on 7/17/2009 1:56:00 AM

I have bought Vex at least five times if not more. It is one of my favorite shades to use particularly as a base shade packed over my entire lid. It has a subtle shimmer that makes it right for day or night. Love this especially with greys and charcols for the smokey eye look. Definitely one of my HG MAC eyeshadows!!