December 19, 2014 | 903 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Un Jardin sur le Nil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2007 10:04:00 AM More reviews by 52pigtails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was very lucky to be given a decant of this fragrance, otherwise I would have never thought of trying it: I'm not generally attracted to citrusy fragrances. This one, though, is especially warm, with a tender drydown of sandalwood that makes the citrus more sustainable and romantic. It starts out with a green note that's great for the summer, yet it won't hurt your senses as most citruses do. Plus, it's quite rare to smell on other people, and I'm especially sensible to this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2007 8:24:00 AM More reviews by Susan1122

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have not bought this product but it is the perfume that I put an EVERY time I go into Sephora (I go into Sephora about 5x per week because it is two block from me.) It is a classy scent that not many people wear. You can tell that a lot of though went into creating this scent as opposed to making the most marketable, money making scent that all of the stars are putting out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2007 4:57:00 PM More reviews by fragranceisall

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely Heavenly!!! Clean, crisp, green, yet w/an undercurrent slightly bitter and tart. I love this so much I bought my daughter a bottle and she loves it as much as I do (our tastes are very similar). The body lotion is exquisite, as well. Perfect for summer. I hope this will never be discontinued as I would be inconsolable.

Update: This remains my go-to scent, and not only in summer. For fans of this ultimate fragrance, read Chandler Burr's, "the Perfect Scent". This book describes, in glorious detail, the creation of Nil. Also the creation and marketing of "Lovely". Mr. Burr is extremely knowledgable in the field of scent creation as well as being as enamoured of fragrance as I am (which is extremely to the nth degree). I am loving the book and have gained a whole new appreciation of "Nil."

Further update: A poster mentioned her experience of the modern-day Nile. In my mind, when I wear this, I'm thinking of the ancient Nile, before pollution, crowds, motor boats on the river. I see, and feel, the beautiful, serene gardens along the pharonic Nile, graceful, cooling, romantic, mysterious. Still my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2007 4:02:00 AM More reviews by meluvcosmetics

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I tried this fragrance 3 times - meaning I walked up to the Hermes counter, sprayed it on my wrist and went away..... the first time was a test.... the 2nd time, I decided to buy it at the airport but could not as I had to dash off to board on the final call, the third time was to let my husband smell it on my wrist and he gave the thumbs up and bought it to commemorate out 27th year of knowing each other (yes, known him 27 years ago, married for 20 years).....

This is now my favourite among my classics (Mitsouko, Shalimar). It's a fresh fragrance, but unique and unlike most.... sorry, but I just can't describe fragrance well. It does not stay very long on me, but I don't mind reapplying often as I just simply love this scent, which I don't find similar in any others.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2007 8:22:00 PM More reviews by cmars29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this as a gift, now its for sale on Ebay. I just don't notice the same scents as the other posters, on me this turns more into a pine tree scent...not very alluring. Oh well, at least it was a gift.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2006 3:16:00 PM More reviews by maybeljean

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been looking for a signature scent for 25 years. This is it. Un jardin sur de Nil is a beautiful, classic green fragrance that is very clean and feminine. I wanted to like Creed Royal Water like this, but Hermes does it better!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2006 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Waiting_tx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was attrached by the bottle initially. I love the clean green feel of the glass. When I tried it on for the first time, the rush of bitterness was overwhelming which was unique. When it faded, I smell grapefruit and likely to be white florals. Instant love as I am a very clean floral fragrance person. being Located in Singapore makes it hard to wear warm heady fragrances...therefore Un Jardin Sur le Nil is perfect for a after-rain humid afternoon or when I feel rather dizzy and need something to perk me up. It makes me feel light,fresh,and utterly clean.My favorite part is that at it's dry down it doesn't turn powdery as many other floral fragrances do.Its staying powder is suprisingly strong for a EDT,after a sweating day at school, I can still smell it in my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2006 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was shopping in downtown SF Saks and the nicest salesperson (Rena) walked right up to me and asked me what perfumes I liked. I said fresh and green, she introduced me to Un Jardin sur le Nil and I flipped. I also bought a gift set of Mediteranee that included a purse spray, larger EDT and a tube of body lotion. I wore the SLN it to the Napa Valley and when the breeze blew I got a lot of compliments from the staff. It smells fresh and green and just right for Spring/Summer. Yes it is expensive, but the whole experience of wearing it from begining to end makes me happy and therefore worth every penny.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2006 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Belle_de_Jour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my new HG scent--initially it has a strong citrus punch but then the dry down is very green, similar to Bulgari Eau de thé vert. I love it, it's not overpowering and gives me a lift whenever I smell my wrist.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2006 3:14:00 PM More reviews by e18a

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do not care for this fragrance at all. All I get from it is grapefruit. To me, it smells really similar to Orgins "Gloom Away" (at least I think that is what it is called). The staying power is not that great either. I do not think it is worth the price. This is more like a "hot summer day" fragrance. It seems really green, crisp and fresh.