Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This product has to be one of the most overrated-overhyped products online. I have 3c curls and this product dried my hair to the follicle. I have tried to use it multiple times - after the shower, after deep conditioning, when hair is damp, when hair is dry, and the results are conclusive: Potion 9 does not live up to its promise. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This dried my hair out! I have fine but thick straight, healthy hair and was so excited to try this but it doesn't work for me. It also has a smell that did not agree with me and my allergies.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff makes my hair so soft. The texture is thin enough for easy distribution to the hair. It has a pretty good hold too for my permed curls; it's better than any curl lotions I have tried. It seems like it's able to make the softness last longer too until my next hair wash. LOVE this stuff!

Update addition: I just purchase the NEW Potion 9 in a spray/pump bottle. I thought it maybe a spray formula, but actually, it's the exact same gel orange stuff with different packaging.

Potion 9 is one of those products that I keep coming back to. I try others looking for less crunch and cost, but always come back. I have naturally curly hair that can get very unruly. I prefer the Julia Roberts or Debra Messing look, but often end up with concert Diana Ross. It's been over 10 years that I've used Potion 9 off and on. My latest application effort is one I found on Jessicurl. I keep Potion 9 in the shower, wring out my hair, then apply a a few glob to my wet hair as I'm flipped over and scrunching. Then I wrap my hair loosely in an old t-shirt. By the time I'm done with my makeup, but hair is ready for the diffuser, or I can wash and wear for more defined curls. The diffuser takes care of the crunch, but I sometimes follow with a styling cream. I once got caught in the rain and was soaked from my Potion 9 head to toe. I got home to find that my curls had bounced right back beautifully. I have lately found that the Generic Potion 9 at Sally is just as good, but they're almost always sold out. While Potion 9 is not exactly my HG, I've never found anything I like better, especially on humid or windy days. I think I really just want different hair.

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have ( used to have) very curly thick long ethnic hair. Its still long, still ethnic, still thick, lol, but its straight now. I have had it Japanese Straightened about 5 times over the past 5 years. For any of you who hva had the procedure, its wash and go for the first two months, then the roots grow in of course and I need to blow dry when wet or I wait till it dries and iron. This product works two fold for me. When my hairs still stick straight, it works as a good leave in for me, isnt sticky and provides smoothness and management. Dont use too much though!!When Its time for me to blow dry or iron, it also works very well at managing my hair. Its not so much a leave in conditioner though, but works it just makes my hair feel very good after I use it, whether I leave it as is or blow dry/iron straight.
Would def repurachse. Two friends with similar hair, tryed mine once and also bought it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am commenting on the old Potion 9 in the plastic tube. That packaging was terrible, but it now comes in a pump bottle.

I detest the incredible crunch this product gives my hair. (I had to laugh at the potato chip comment by another poster--so true!) Other products might leave a bit of crunchiness that can be improved by scrunching with my fingers, but Potion 9-induced crunch will not die until my hair is shampooed again. It also leaves my hair looking and feeling drier and frizzier than before I shampooed, That's quite an accomplishment. Not many products make my hair look worse than it did before I stepped into the shower.

The other undesirable quality of this product is that it makes my hair three times its normal size. It might actually be a good product for someone who needs more volume, but that's the last thing my hair needs.

I was suckered into buying this product by the fact that a stylist used it (mixed with something else) and somehow managed to make my hair look good. I have absolutely no skill at blow drying my own hair, but somehow I thought this product would work some kind of magic. I realize now that the magic was a professional stylist who was able to blow dry my hair straight. Luckily, I was able to sell this back to the salon that sold it to me.

This was a terrible product for me, but it might be good for someone who wants more volume/body and is good with a blow dryer. For curlies who want a product to smooth and reduce volume, I'd recommend Matrix Sleek Look styling creme.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Adds light conditioning to my hair, reduces static, and makes it shiny and manageable. It won't add moisture to really dry ends, but is a good everyday product. Comes in a larger size for sitting on the bathroom shelf as well as a TSA-compliant 1.7-oz. tube.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

FYI--this is being d/c. It is being replaced by a spray formulation.
I found it for 60% off at the styling salon inside my local Wal Mart.
I bought all they had--hope the new one is good, but I am not taking any chances.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i have repurchased this several times and it really does help the condition of my frizzy dry extremely fine curly hair. i blow it out about every 3 days because i cant stand my curls and it damages my hair, this stuff really helps to prevent the damage and leave my hair frizz free and soft and shiny. i really like it even though it has some silicones and a lot of parabens in it (i try to avoid most silicones and parabens). i definately recommend this if you have dry or damaged frizzy hair!

This product is over-rated. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for me but I've tried it many times, and I'm never happy with it. It leaves my hair feeling stiff. I would not repurchase this one.

Popular Styling Products