Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer

3.7

PPD: 5, Active Ingredients: Octisalate 5.00%, Oxybenzone 5.00%, Avobenzone 3.00% Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Isopropyl PPG-2-Isodeceth-7,Carboxylate, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Polyester-8,Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Silica, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Coffea Robusta Seed Extract, Echinacea Pallida (Coneflower Extract), Rosemarinus Officianlis (Rosemary) Extract, Padina Pavonica (Thallis) Extract, Petrolatum, Sea Whip Extract, Jojoba Esters, Adenosine Phosphate, Disodium NADH, Rehalose, Creatine, Sodium RNA, Caffeine, Nordhydroguaiaretic Acid, Sodium DNA, Phytosphingosine, Linoleic Acid, Cholesterol, Ferulic Acid, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sucrose, Micrococcus Lysate, Astrocaryum Murumuru Seed Butter, Cetearyl Glycoside, Laurdimonium Hydropropyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Dimethiconol, Lecithin, Algae Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Proplene Glycol Dicaprate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Maltodextrin, C1-8 Alkyl Tetrahydroxycyclohexanoate,Caprylyl Glycol, Isohexadecane, Polyethylene, Ethylhexylglycerin, Zeolite, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydroxymethylcellulose, Polysorbate 80, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Coploymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tromethamine, Decarboxy Carnosine HCL, Xathan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulfate, Disodim EDTA, Phenoxyethanol [ILN34338]

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm on my second full-size jar of this and have been using it for almost a year. I use the oily-skin formula.

This is the best under-makeup sunscreen I have encountered so far. (Compared to most drugstore sunscreens including Neutrogena Dry Touch, and a couple of Lancome moisturizers & sunscreens I've tried).**

It goes on dewy, but dries to an invisible finish. It's not mattifying but doesn't add extra shine either. It does not affect the longevity of my makeup as far as I can tell. And, unlike most sunscreens, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin.

Normally, I can't wear chemical sunscreens (which this contains), but this has not irritated my skin at all--- Until recently.

Maybe it's because I've been using a retinol night cream, which I believe makes the top layer of the skin thinner. But in the morning, when I apply the Super Defense cream, my face gets a slight burning sensation and it's extra-sensitive to makeup brushes.

So, it's back to the drawing board. I still give this cream 4 stars because I do think it's an excellent moisturizer and sunscreen for oily skins. And the consistency is very nice and feels comforting if you're not allergic to the ingredients.

As for the packaging-- The jar is very pretty, but I have to say it's not convenient for carrying to the gym, traveling, etc. And of course, not very hygienic. I just make sure to apply it with clean hands after using toner on my face, so everything's clean.

P.S. The Clinique SAs will tell you that this must be applied over your regular moisturizer. I have not found this to be the case at all. This cream alone provides more than enough moisture for my oily/combination skin, even in winter.

**UPDATE 10/2/09: I have since found a better under-makeup sunscreen which does not irritate my skin. I now prefer MAC Prep & Prime Face Protect SPF 50. It is more mattifying and it makes my makeup look better too! (But it doesn't moisturize, so I now have to use a separate moisturizer on dry areas.)

**UPDATE 5/1/10: I've since learned through more recent MUA reviews, that the sunscreen in this product is not stabilized and therefore can become ineffective. So I've taken off two lippies and I won't repurchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This was okay. I think I needed to get the one for normal to dry skin because I was so flaky with this stuff! Yuck! Also, I think the Clinique stuff caused me to break out a little. I did not like how you had to scoop the product out either. You get everything out, but I hate having to put my fingers into the jar. Pump please! So when you add all that up, plus the price of almost $50, I think I'll just stay with the $18 drugstore purchase of Olay Rejuvenist as that seems to work much better for me.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I'm always looking for products that multi-task. In particular, I don't like having to apply moisturiser AND a sunblock. Now that I live in a hot humid climate, I don't like the feel of having a lot of product on my face.

Clinique's Superdefense is one of my favourite moisturisers with SPF. It doesn't leave a white cast, it absorbs very well, I don't get too shiny when I wear it, and it seems to be really good for my skin.

My only concern is whether SPF 25 is high enough, especially when the sun in Singapore is so strong. Ever since I've moved back from London (where the sun is almost non-existent!) I've been getting more pigmentation on my cheeks.

So even though I love this product, I'm still on the hunt for a non-oily moisturiser with SPF that works as well as Superdefense but has a higher SPF. Not sure if such a product actually exists...

I loveeee this product. It is such a hassle finding a good sunscreen product to wear underneath makeup. But, after trying this only once, I feel in love with it. I have normal skin tone, and don't really break out and have pimples but my skin is sensitive. I noticed a drastic change in my skin after using this, it became much more soft and smooth plus, I'm getting sun protection!! It's not thick at all, so I can put makeup on without having to feel like I have so much on my face. Never will continue to buy this product. Although, I wish they made it in a higher SPF...

I love, love, love the SuperDefense from Clinique. My favorite product yet from Clinique. I would recommend this to anyone that hate the SPF smell and the wierd texture of sunscreen (like me). I've always hate putting on sunscreen; I hated the oily feeling and the wierd coconut-y smell or the strong chemical odor.

I was travelling to Hong Kong for 3 weeks and I was outdoors almost everyday, so I had to go buy some sunscreen. Since I use mainly Lancome, Clinique, Laniege and Shisedo, I went to all of their counters to look for a tolerable sunscreen.

I was shocked when I sampled this sunscreen/face cream. It was so light and there was no sunscreen-y smell. Once you applied it, it instantly melts into your skin. There is no sticky or oily residue at all. I love it! It's the only sunscreen type product I use. If it was a tad cheaper, I would seriously use it on my whole body!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

i bought this about a year ago and i loved it. i would use cliniques 3 step system and after, i would use this and all about eyes. it left my skin so smooth and healthy looking. i loved that it had spf25. i took a break from this and decided to buy a few months ago...

i guess the formula changed because once i applied a small amount on my face, i felt it burning and i broke out. too bad because i liked the original formula...

I tried the dry/combo version gwp size I had of this - it's not suitable for my sensitive skin. It made my cheeks breakout in spots, which very rarely happens to me. Wouldn't buy.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Since I've been tolerating the chemical sunscreen in La Roche Posay this past year, I fiigured that I could finally try a moisturizer with a chemical sunscreen yet again. I was so excited the first two days I used this. It sunk in beautifully and kept my skin hydrated all day without any oilies. It worked especially well under blocks without making makeup look thick and goopy. However, I too, became red, blotchy, dry, and formed reactive bumps. So I am going to try the new Olay Professional Lotion sith SPF 30. This, too, has chemical blocks so I hope the formulation works better.

I use to use the "Continuous Rescue Antioxidant Moisturiser"(oily to oily) for about a year until it got discontinued in Hong Kong last year. Then when they introduced this new SuperDefense SPF 25, I thought I'd give it a go. I've got dry and combo skin, so I got the one that's formulated for dry combination skin. I've been using this for the past 3-4 months and it's quite moisturising without leaving me feeling oily as the continous rescue anitoxidant moisteriser did. It asborbs right into the skin leaving no residue behind and doesn't ball up like some moisturises do. However the one thing that really bothers me is the scent! I know it contains SPF but I didn't expect it to be so strong. Everytime I open it, a gust of chemical smell comes oozing out and just sends shock waves to my nostrils (sorry if I sound really exaggerated) but it's really hard to tolerate. I have to practically nearly hold my breath when I apply for the first 10 seconds then the scent gradually fades away. Another thing I don't like is the packaging,it would be much better it was contained in a tube instead of a plastic tub. For me, it's a decent moisturiser, so I'll just keep on using it until I find a better moisturiser without that killer smell :p

I found that I have numerous huge deluxe samples of SuperDefense 25 as GWP, I had totally forgotten them! I tried both skin type 2 and 3&4 versions and loved them both. Much better than DayWear for me, which I like as well but find a bit on the heavier side. Not this one. Both versions are oil-free and neither irritates or clogs up like most other SPF creams. I like Clinique's new generation products in general and this is especially good for that vital urban protection.