Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

on 3/17/2008 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Normally I cannot wear powder except on my nose and forhead, it just ends up looking cakey. Recently I realized that less is more despite my imperfections. I ind that using a tinted moisturizer (Tarte is my favorite) with a very fine milled powder over it seems to work better. So I picked this up at ulta. I only bought the refill, so I can't comment on the compact itself. It's cheaper o buy the refill only. This is a very finely milled powder with a slight shimmery look but not glittery. I'm too old for glitter and shine just makes all your imperfections stand out.

I use both a kabuki brush and the sponge method. Kabuki on the whole face and the sponge on the areas I want to hide. This made the pores on my nose disappear. Cut back on my shine and just looked marvelous. I tried other powder foundations and found they did nothing to me but dry me out. This one does not. Thank you MUA'ers for steering me toward this product. It's going to be great now that the warmer months are near. No breakouts so far, but I've only been using it for 4 days, so I'm not sure if my pores are getting clogged yet. So far so good. I'll update later to let you know if I still like it.

on 3/15/2008 12:06:00 AM

I love this powder so much. I have really fair skin and this is the only powder I've ever found that doesn't make my skin a shade different from my body. Everything usually looks off, but this is dead on. I use this both as a foundation and as a powder top-off over foundation. It smooths everything out nicely and doesn't feel heavy on my skin.

The container it comes in is really cute, but I found that with it being replacable, it falls loose of the compact, especially if you carry it around in a purse. A big chunk got knocked out of the center of mine and I was kinda bummed.

A bit expensive, but worth the money if you're a pasty girl searching for some sort of match.

on 3/5/2008 1:23:00 PM

I picked this up while traveling because I had forgotten to pack my usual HG Chanel loose powder, which is not very portable anyway. Although this Stila powder is technically a powder foundation (Stila makes another product for pressed powder), I really like it as a setting powder. Even with a liberal dusting over my face, it doesn't look cakey or obvious. As an added bonus, it provides a little bit of flattering, sheer coverage. I haven't tried using it wet, so I can't comment on how that works out. 20 Watts is a good match for my fair NC20ish skin. A little pricey ($14 for the refillable compact and $26 for the pan), but this might be the nicest pressed powder I've tried in a long time. The compact came with a thin foam applicator that I don't use -- I prefer to apply with a face brush. I'm not usually a big fan of Stila, but I'm pretty happy with this purchase and will keep this around for portability.

on 2/23/2008 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I sort of have a love-hate relationship with this product. I am only 15 years old and I started using the Stila IPF last year when i was 14. It is perfect for a natural look.

PROS:
Very easy to use
I feel really safe with this product.
Nice, soft coverage
Doesn't look cakey
Looks good on top of concealer
One lasts me 6 months, so thats only 2 per year :)
Shade matches me :) I have Asian Skin and I use 70 watts in the summer, and 60 watts during the rest of the year.

CONS:
My face will get SUPER oily by the end of the day.
It is pretty expensive ($24 at my local Sephora plus tax)
Compact is expensive and sold seperately
A powder brush will not give good coverage. I use the sponge that came along with the powder . (I wash it every week to keep it clean)

& that's pretty much it :)
I feel pretty safe with this product <33 It's my first love. I'm running out though so I have to go back to Sephora and get another one.
-___- I can't believe I didn't sign up for a Beauty Insider Card yet.

Oh and btw, whenever I first apply this, my first looks really matte and made up. However, after about 10 minutes, the powder will sorta "sink in" to my skin and give a more natural look.

=)

on 2/14/2008 5:51:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product looks nice and natural, and I usually apply it two times a day, morning and late afternoon. It gives a nice finished look when I put it on over my liquid moisturizer/foundation. The only downside of this powder is that if my skin is not exfoliated or moisturized, you can see every bit of dry skin because of the powder.

Update--I'm going to replace this with a loose powder. I don't think the staying power of this powder is worth the huge price tag on it. However, I would buy it again if it were cheaper, and I applied it with a brush instead of the sponge it comes with.

on 2/3/2008 10:04:00 AM

Generally o.k. if you have great skin and like to have that "no makeup" feel. It didn't provide enough coverage for the slight rosacea I have on my cheeks, and tended to buildup around my nose and chin creases about 3 hours into the wear. The packaging is ridiculous because you have to buy their $23 compact to have protection for the pan. It's cheaper just to de-pan a used powder compact and place the Stila pan into it.
Will not repurchase due to the poor coverage factor.

on 2/2/2008 5:57:00 PM

Finally. Something light enough and neutral enough (i use 10 watts) for my skin that feels like skin and not makeup. Where has this been all my life? Yes, it's on the expensive side but i've wasted so much money on foundations I'm just happy to find one that works. I use the sponge that comes with it and kind of gently buff it in, over concealor for the "bad" spots. It's not full coverage, just makes your skin look better. Will repurchase. Will tell all my friends. ;-)

on 1/27/2008 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for over two years now, with the occasional "break-up" to try another product ... but I keep coming back! I love it because it does not wear off. I did take away one lippy because when my eyes have had a bad day (crying, sleepless night, etc.)basically, it shows the dry skin etc... it definitely has no mercy under my eyes on those days, so basically if my under eye skin isn't doing well, it will show, so I'll apply moisturizer on those days to keep the application smooth! But that's not it's job, it's job is to provide coverage, and it does. I love wearing it because it is semi-sheer and does seem to make my skin glow! It also has great staying power as you go through the package...no matter how old the powder is, it doesn't change color or texture. The sponge does have to be replaced after a couple of months...But in trying different means of application, you can use a brush to spare the sponge and it will look just as great. Overall, I'm guessing this powder is something special if I keep coming back! By the way, other powders I've tried include Jane Iredale, BE, Alima. (only one that came close to it was Alima).

UPDATE - tried yet another foundation in place of this one, but alas, I came right back to Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation ... it's officially my holy grail of powder foundations and I've changed my rating to FIVE STARS!!! Great stuff.

on 1/15/2008 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Sometimes it looked great and perfected my very imperfect skin. Other times, I looked ashy and gray (NC35, using 50 watts). Guess it depends on my skin's condition at various times and lighting? Anyway, I use to use StudioFix and it never looked bad on me, but has bad bad bad ingredients. Oh well. No rebuy.

on 1/14/2008 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have re-purchaed this product a few times to use as a base powder under and sometimes as a finishing powder over liquid foundation as I like the finish this product gives. It applies smoothly and does not accentuate dry areas. However recently I have found it has irritated my sensitive skin and and my skin has improved since switching to everyday minerals foundation. I don't think this product provides enough coverage on it's own (unless you already have clear skin with no redness etc) so is best combined with liquid or stick foundation or concealer depending on how much coverage you need. If you apply too much of this product your face may appear a bit "ashy" and mask-like so I would say it is only good for light coverage. Because this product contains ingredients may irritate sensitive skin such as Bismuth Oxychloride, I don't recommend it to those with skin sensitivities, otherwise it is a good product to use in combination with liquid or stick foundation. This product is best applied with a big brush, the sponge provided is not very good.