September 19, 2014 | 1087 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 9:29:00 AM More reviews by edenholly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I looove honey! It is my ultimate, all-time favourite face product. It always leaves my skin super soft and glowing and calms the redness of pimples. It also clears up my skin fabulously.

For whatever reason my facial skin was really dry, raw and red today (winter incoming!). Cleansing and moisturising stung like buggery and my skin felt awful in general. I applied a honey mask tonight which did itch somewhat, but I think that's because the honey had crystallised and so scratched my face a bit (normally I LOVE this for its exfoliating properties). After half an hour though I washed it off and my skin feels calmed, moisturised and has regained a bit of a glow.

In my mind, nothing beats honey for super healthy-looking, glowing skin!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 3:23:00 PM More reviews by jaimeramone28

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have 2c/3a wavy/curly hair. I have been cowashing (or washing with conditioner) for a little over a month now, and at first that was great, but it does have its ups and downs. I use Darcy's Botanicals Cleansing Conditioner Cream, and that's great. It's very rich and moisturizing, but sometimes I do get those off days with dry/frizzy hair or greasy scalp. I think it's my hair getting used to no-suds cleaning.

Anyway, last week, my hair was going through a dry/frizzy stage, and I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to spend more money on conditioner because the DBCCC is already very conditioning, and I didn't want to waste money. I read that honey could work so figured why not. I combined about a quarter sized amount of DBCCC and quarter amount of organic wildflower honey. It actually wasn't sticky! I was able to detangle with ease.

I added a few drops to my styler (Darcy's Botanicals Curling Cream-Gel that actually already has a little honey) and scrunched. My curls already looked more defined! I have tried this both airdrying and diffusing with a blowdryer. Both resulted in unbelievably soft and shiny hair! Not to mention CLEAN! I have to admit, I love my cleansing conditioner, but sometimes it isn't too cleansing. The honey mixed with it, though, moisturized and made my hair cleaner. I dried voluminous, curlier, and with a lot less frizz. I definitely recommend it to curlies who cowash or for anyone's hair!

I loooove this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by staci01

Recently I went nutso when cleaning my face and ended up with my skin feeling horribly raw and burned. Pain was very irritating and distracting that I had a hard time sleeping as I could feel the fibers in the pillowcase and they felt like sandpaper against my cheek. Not sure what to do as anything heavy to moisturize felt like too much and did nada for the pain. Then I remembered using raw honey as a mask so I grabbed the bottle of raw honey I had in my cupboard and added some green matcha powder to it. Slathered this all over my face and within 5 minutes my skin felt soothed and pain free! Left this on for 20 or so minutes and when I washed it off my skin had calmed down greatly and felt much better. Will try my best to keep this in mind for future skin needs.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2012 7:45:00 AM More reviews by blondi530

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product has been a miracle cure for my skin. I have tried everything for my adult acne. Proactiv, Clearskin, Avene, Aveeno, Prescription meds and nothing worked most of them made it worse. I do not review items as I would tend not to be impressed with most things. But Braggs apple cider vinegar, Honey & Jojoba Oil has changed my life, after 3 weeks my cystic acne has cleared. I cant stop looking at my skin. This has been a long road for me, I have had this acne for the last 4 years and have been to many dermatologists and also herbal healers. I have taken many supplements and vitamins to try and help my skin and while some herbal remedies made it slightly better i always continued to break out. Through much research i began a new all natural routine. If i have makeup on I use a Faith in nature seaweed soap to remove it, then do a small cleanse with light coloured organic honey, when i have more time i leave the honey on for as long as i can as a mask, your skin will feel so good afterwards. Then as a toner i use a mixture made from 50% Braggs Apple cider vinegar and 50% water. finally to moisturise I use 100% natural organic Jojoba oil. This Regime has worked wonders for my skin i have had no new breakouts and my scars are healing daily, i am delighted with the results and can't believe that dermatologists do not encourage more people to try natural products. I would encourage everyone with Acne problems to try this. If anybody needs any further details just contact me. Good luck!!!

4 months Later this is still working better than anything I have ever tried before!!!

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 5:15:00 AM More reviews by claresmom

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Moisturizing, Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Bacterial (Acne) Manuka Honey Mask

Manuka honey's made by New Zealand and Australian bees from the flowers of the manuka tree, which is related to the Australian Tea Tree, and produces an essential oil with very similar properties. Manuka honey has additional and different antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, however, that are rated by standardized testing of each batch of honey's "Unique Manuka Factor" (UMF). Scientists have demonstrated the antibacterial power of the UMF so effectively, in fact, that the F.D.A. recently approved the use of sterilized manuka honey dressings to treat wounds infected with bacteria resistant to standard antibacterials, such as the dreaded "flesh-eating" bacteria, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MrSA). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21903658 Staphylococcus aureus is one of several strains of bacteria responsible for acne, so I decided to see whether it would be helpful in controlling my mild adult acne in combination with ingredients that would aid penetration of the UMF while also moisturizing my dry/combination skin and helping to calm it post-AHA and BHA peels and after my recent use of stronger topical retinoids.

Here's my recipe:
1 1/2 tsp sterilized medical manuka honey (UMF 15+)
2 drops vitamin E acetate
1/2 tsp molecularly distilled emu oil*
1/2 dropper sodium hyaluronate
1 capsule GNC 100 mg alpha lipoc acid

I mix everything in the palm of one hand, apply for 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the state of my skin and the time available, then rinse off with lukewarm water. Sometimes I apply it after using a clay mask, such as Queen Helene's, in order to reduce resulting irritation. It leaves my skin soft, calm, bright, clearer and moisturized.

Please read my notes on the other ingredients before trying it yourself:

(1) Sodium hyaluronate is a non-irritating humectant that exists naturally in human skin, aids the penetration of ingredients it's mixed with, and is produced in lessening amounts as the skin ages. It's widely available in both expensive and less-expensive formulations.

(2) *Emu oil is also a very effective anti-inflammatory moisturizer, carrier and penetrating agent, especially when mixed with a little inexpensive vitamin E acetate, but care is essential when purchasing emu oil, much of which is commonly adulterated by unethical sellers with cheaper, more comedogenic oils, so purchase only from a reputable company. The American Emu Association has adopted a "triple refined" certification that members who meet their standard can identify with an "AEA Certified" logo, but some AEA members have urged the adoption of an even higher purity standard (molecular distillation), which is why I'm willing to pay just a little more for molecularly distilled emu oil, because it's far less likely to trigger an adverse reaction or to be comedogenic. If you've reacted badly to emu oil, you may have a better reaction to a molecularly distilled version. See http://www.uniquelyemu.com/emu-oil-research-6.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17638122 and
http://www.emu-oil.com/molecularlydistilledemuoil.html for more information.

(3) Vitamin E acetate is cheap and commonly available in drugstores, and aids penetration of the top layer of the skin by other ingredients it's added to, which it's specifically been demonstrated to do with emu oil: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9858176

(4) Alpha lipoic acid's benefits are well-described by the Cleveland Ciinic: "You may have heard of alpha-lipoic acid as "the miracle in a jar" for its anti-aging effects. Itís a newer, ultra-potent antioxidant that helps fight future skin damage and helps repair past damage. Alpha-lipoic acid has been referred to as a "universal antioxidant" because itís soluble in both water and oil, which permits its entrance to all parts of the cell. Due to this quality, it is believed that alpha-lipoic acid can provide the greatest protection against damaging free radicals when compared with other antioxidants. Alpha-lipoic acid diminishes fine lines, gives skin a healthy glow, and boosts levels of other antioxidants, such as vitamin C." http://my.clevelandclinic.org/healthy_living/skin_care/hic_understanding_the_ingredients_in_skin_care_products.aspx
I use the GNC capsules because the ALA is already dissolved in soybean oil, but those who are sensitive to soybean oil may wish to use less, find another formulation or omit it altogether.

I hope others find this recipe beneficial! Although some of the ingredients may seem a bit pricy, this mask works FAR better for me than ANY commercially available ones costing as much if not more than the total cost of all the ingredients I've listed above. A 1 oz bottle of molecularly distilled emu oil can be purchased for less than $10 from several reputable suppliers and, if it doesn't work for you on your face as part of this mask, it's great added to moisturizers for other parts of the body. I keep a couple tubes of sterilzed medical-grade manuka honey (there are at least two over-the-counter brands in the U.S.) on hand now not just for my masks, but also to treat cuts, scrapes and burns, for which I also use sodium hyaluronate, both of which speed healing. Alpha lipoic acid is also "an essential co-factor of the mitochondrial multi-enzyme complex and thus plays an important role in energy metabolism," so if you can't use it in the mask, you can always take it orally! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21651453

UPDATE: Manuka honey has specifically been tested -- and found effective against -- Propionibacterium Acnes, the bacterium that causes most cases of acne. See study here: http://mro.massey.ac.nz/handle/10179/2997

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 4:29:00 AM More reviews by BlackVanilla

Lately I have discovered how effective and wonderful ordinary pantry staples can be. They can in fact work far better than the most expensive and fancy HE stuff. And god knows I have tried a LOT of stuff. I have flushed so much money down the drain over the years. When I was younger I thought that more ingredients was better. Small jars chock full of "nano spheres" and "amino-collagen-calmyx-genetix-acids"....all these silly names that promised to do all but give me an orgasm. But all they really did was smell nice, look good on the bathroom shelf and break me out. Also, have you noticed the fine print in the ads that explain that the product was tested by 37 women (the ladies in the ad company's office?), for 2 weeks and that 87% of them thought "it felt nice to put it on"!!!! Wow, if that's not a sound scientific endorsement of it's effectiveness my name is not Black Vanilla!
Anyhow, I am now a bit older and I have realized by way of trial and error that less is more. If a product has more than 10 ingredients it is highly likely to break me out.
Now, about that honey! I have super sensitive, reactive skin. If you so much as look at me the wrong way I get a big red splotch on my cheek. It is also very, very dry. What I do is put a layer of honey on dry skin and leave it on for 30 minutes-1 hour. Nothing fancy mind you, it's not even organic. After that I wash it off with the simplest face wash and rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. And there it is: irritations subside, the skin is rosy and glowing. Most of the dry flakes are gone. It doesn't break me out at all. In fact I believe that honey is anti-inflammatory.
This works a hundred times better than any of the expensive masks I've tried.

PS! My two other finds are: baking soda mixed with Cetaphil cleanser for the gentlest yet effective face scrub.
And apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a pre-schampoo rinse. This clarifies product build-up like nobody's business and makes the hair unbelievably soft and glossy.
My skin is far too sensitive, but if it wasn't I would surely try lemon juice mixed with water as a toner.
Look up the reviews and see what others are saying!

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by auee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WOW! This honey mask made my skin glow. It worked WAY better than all the other expensive brand masks I've tried. It's amazing that you can get such great results from something you've created yourself and is all natural.
What I did was to mix one tablespoon of raw honey with 1/3 teaspoon of turmeric (don't use more or your skin might turn yellow!) and 4 aspirins. They're all supposed to have great benefits to the skin. I leaved it on my face for 20 minutes and I got instant results. I went from having dull skin to nice and glowing. This is sooo good, I'm going to use this mask a few times a week. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 12:27:00 PM More reviews by tlc0508

Honey Honey Honey. I used honey for the first time on my face yesterday and instantly saw results. I am African-American with Dark skin and my skin was (and still is) glowing! I will use this every day! Also I used the generic store -brand (Food Lion) and it workd fab...and its cheap too! :)

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by bbybreanna

sad that i couldnt use this as a natural exfoliator with sugar, it made my face turn super red, itchy, and burnt. it did make my face super smooth though. i use this (and sugar) to exfoliate my lips and i get no reaction.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by anne99415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My sensitive skin could not handle honey. I'm pretty disappointed that I even tried it, since my skin was so close to clearing up and I had been able to wear almost no makeup for a couple of weeks. I was left with some redness on my cheeks and I had read such good reviews that honey had helped clear people's skin and brighten and moisturize it. However, after using it only once, my entire face became dry and rough, and my chin broke out quite badly and it has extended onto my cheek. I'm trying desperately to get my skin back in the condition it was before trying the honey.