Dior Hypnotic Poison

I was getting sick of my foodie vanilla scents like Pink Sugar, CSP's Coco Vanille, Laura Mercier's Vanilla Gourmand, and JS's Fancy... so when I read the high reviews of Hypnotic Poison (sexy/musky non-gourmand grown-up vanilla) I thought "how come I never tried this before?!" Someone gave me the green Tendre Poison years ago and though I liked it and used it occasionally, it wasn't in my favorites...

So w/o even smelling Hypnotic Poison, I ordered online (fragrancenet.com is -surprisingly!- more expensive, so I got the 1.7 oz 69 usd from sephora)... I tried it & was kinda alarmingly surprised.. it was pretty strong for an EDT, but like what the other reviewers said after 15 minutes I was IN LOVE! It smells so different from my other EDTs... I kept sniffing my wrists throughout the day and at night I could still smell it. Its like a seductive licorice for me.. Can't wait to try this out! I think I found my WINTER signature scent. Will buy again! Though Sephora doesn't carry the 3.4 oz EDT, Macy's does online. :)

I ordered samples from The Perfumed Court of this and Pure Poison and Tendre Poison..Not impressed with this one. Smells like burnt vanilla, with a musty rather stale aroma. My C.O. Bigelow Vanilla smells better, although extremely similar. Nope, not a Dior fan.

I love this scent, particularly in the winter. It is so comforting to put your nose down your polo neck and smell this wafting up all day. The notes I get are coconut, vanilla, almonds and heliotrope. It has very good sillage and excellent staying power for an edt. Would purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my favourite perfume. It does smell like root beer, but in a good way somehow ;) Long-lasting. Like previous reviewer I smoke too and it covers the smell. The product is expensive but worth it!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This is a vanilla, with a hint of licorice or root beer. It smells sweet, but still has that vanilla sweet musk fragrance. I usually wear vanilla fields, amber romance by Victoria's secret, or sensual amber from bath and body works.

If you love the way vanilla smells, or like sweeter musk, then you'll enjoy this. This truly is a grown up vanilla, and doesn't smell gourmet. Although it does have a licorice smelling top note, it still doesn't smell like food, just sweet, musky, and sexy. I smoke cigarettes, and it's strong enough that non smokers ask me my perfume so it's strong enough to cover smoke, but light enough that it doesn't knock people down.

again, if you enjoy vanillas that don't smell like a bakery, you'll love this perfume.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wanted this scent to work on me soo bad. I have been on the hunt for a more seductive, evening vanilla perfume. After reading reviews nearly all day I set out to Ulta to test Hypnotic Poison, Addict, and Organza Indecence...Sadly, all were epic failures (see reviews for these other frags also). I had tried this scent years ago and disliked it, thinking perhaps I was too young to appreciate it, I tried it again. The drydown of this is absolutely to die for - I mean compulsively sniffing your wrist good. However, the long and tedious journey through the balmy, resinous, root beer jungle to get there takes far to long and is not worth the reward..*sigh*...I envy those of you that are able to carry this scent so warmly. Great sillage though, and thus a 3-star rating - I cannot fault HP for not working with my chemistry.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm mixed about this scent... it doesn't knock my socks off although I feel it is one of those scents that make you feel "dressed up" and ready to hit the town. But something about Hypnotic has been reminding me of some other from the past... now I finally remember... Bob Mackie's scent from the 1980's.... very similar and hard to come by these days.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hypnotic Poison smells like vanilla, licorice and root beer, if you want to smell like those things, this perfume is for you. The staying power of this perfume is phenomenal, the best I have ever tried. I wore this perfume once on my shirt and left my shirt over at my boyfriends and didnt get to washing it for about a week later and I could still smell the perfume on the shirt. I would recommend this perfume during the winter and fall months only because it would smother someone during the summer months. This hypnotic poison just wasnt for me.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

EXTREMELY SEXY and so good. This one still sells like hot cakes! It's a nice oriental with a slight floral. Most obvious note is vanilla, joined with sandalwood, coconut, and some floral ones I can't pick out. For an EDT it is surprisingly long lasting. This one you can tell by it's smell, and I love it. Very sensual and alluring.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Oh. My. God. Where do I begin?! This perfume is so gorgeous. It's beautifully delicious with a wonderfully warm dry down. It reminds me of the cosy winter days I've spent curled up on the sofa in a thick jumper while it snows outside. Perfectly vanilla-y, snuggly and clean. It becomes more fantastic as the day goes on and lasts for hours.
Definitely buy a sample from eBay before you purchase, though, in case it doesn't agree with your body chemistry. I found that on my Boots sample strip it wasn't as warm smelling as it is on my wrist, so make sure you try it on before you buy as this stuff isn't cheap!

Popular Fragrances