September 21, 2014 | 1979 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am so annoyed I bought this. I had a makeover done at the counter, paid £10 deposit so I had to buy something or lose the deposit. For a start, the makeup artist DID NOT do my makeup - the regular MUA did. And all she did was remove what I had on, and despite me asking for a wedding look, reapplied it almost exactly the same. I mean, WTAF?
Anyway, onto the product. I told the MUA that I wanted to try a full coverage foundation as I normally use sheer. I don't have blemished skin, but I do have large pores and quite a red undertone which is hard to cover. He dismissed totally what I said and used foundation and then this concealer on the red bits.
Now, I do own a concealer, but I only use it for blemishes and under the eyes. I don't like it to tone down red especially, as it looks caked on and looks nasty once the oils start breaking through, especially on my nose. Granted I didn't tell him this, but I did say I had combination skin that was particularly oily on my nose.
This product is ok. I don't find it easy to blend, I gather you are supposed to pick up a bit of product from each side and blend till it matches skin tone. Ok, except it doesn't really work that way! I goes on fairly nicely and I admit the colour matching is very good, but I just don't like using concealers! Therefore, this was a £26 mistake that will probably only be used on the very rare occasions when I go out in the evening.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by jodhika1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Disgusting. Laura Mercier just launched in Singapore in Sephora and i was so excited to try this. What a disappointment! Forget the colour range, the texture is like HARD clay. I am NOT going to use this anywhere near my under-eye area!! And the testers were brand new mind you. As for the colours, there is no colour that is yellow enough AND rich enough to match my skintone. The darker colours tend to be orangey. Price was 40+++ sing dollars, obviously way higher than the US price. For that markup, the quality is horrible, sorry.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by notfalling028

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't use it under my eyes but it is the strongest and longest-staying concealer I have ever used. Great for covering spots and pigmentation marks and it's a big box and lasts forever.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by cavalli

Finally... I've found my HG concealer. It covers so well and a little goes a long way. I usually apply it with my fingertips and the warmth from my hands definitely makes the consistency a lot smoother. I'm so happy with this purchase and can't recommend it enough. The two colors are perfect for blending and creating a custom pigment for your skintone.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 8:50:00 PM More reviews by higgsj17

I have only used this concealer two times so far, but I love the coverage and the Matt finish however the concealer is very hard and not creamy. I love the idea of a custom match I purchased SC-7 (FYI MAC nw45) The price point isn't bad 2 concealers basically for $28 from sephora. Wears well last all day! I almost love anything creamy when it's comes to complexion products :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by cel1979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a Lisa Eldridge fan and have watched her use this a stack of times. I was colour matched with SC-3 which i thought was too dark for me but blended really well on my skin when I was wearing Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B20.
Yes, the product is hard, yes it takes some work to soften it, yes it takes time to apply well but to me all those things are fine given the result you get. Covers blemishes brilliantly and doesn't slip and slide. Covers redness really well also.
I wouldn't use it for the under eye area but i'm not sure that's what it's for anyway!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by bambam444

The best thing about this concealer is that you can match it exactly to your skin tone in both summer and winter. Its quite hard to apply and is far too thick to use under the eyes, so needs to be applied with a very small brush to spots. For this it is brilliant and gives excellent coverage, and as there is so much product it lasts a very long time. The packaging is easy to use but after a couple of months the case broke making it very easy for dirt to get onto the concealer. It is great in terms of coverage and colour but as just a product for spots (it took a long time to get good coverage under the eye) it is far too expensive so I would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 5:05:00 PM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Ladies, this is NOT for your undereye circles. It is very thick and firm in texture, and doesn't really get creamy. You'd be pulling way too much on the delicate skin under your eyes for this to work. This is a great concealer for redness, blemishes, discoloration, and almost anything else, but it is NOT good for your eyes.

I had a fun reaction to a skincare product I'd tried, and ended up having a couple lovely red patches (no texture change or swelling, just redness) on my face. I went out looking for a green neutralizer, but this is what the SA recommended instead.

She used a flat concealer brush to blend the two shades on the back of her hand, and then applied it very generously all over the red spots, working in layers and blending like crazy with another fluffy brush. She also applied a light layer to my cheeks and around my mouth/nose, to hide discoloration. At the end, she dusted some translucent powder over my whole face. The patches were invisible WITHOUT using a neutralizer, and there was no visible caking or creasing for the next six hours. It was really natural-looking, too.

Now, I have used this myself, and it takes a LOT of effort to get it to look as good as the SA did. First of all, this is NOT an emollient, creamy concealer. It's "hard." You swipe your brush in it and barely make a dent. Then you swipe ten more times, and maaaaybe have enough product. I think the firmness has something to do with the superior pigment and layerability, but it makes application a real pain. It's bad enough that I won't use this on a daily basis because it takes too much time.

One star off for being tough to work with, but this is a really good concealer if you're willing to make the effort.

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by stashdiphi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have more concealers than anyone needs, but last week, I had some major blemishes that none of my concealers could adequately cover, and since I've been wanting to try this product for some time, I bought it. It took me a little bit of trial and error, but I've figured out how to work with it, and it's now my favorite spot concealer.

Usually, I prefer to use my fingers to apply concealer, but with this product, it seems to work best with a detail brush. I dip the brush into the corrector, then into the concealer, and apply to the blemish. Then, I take a different concealer entirely, either my Josie Maran argan blend, or my NARS stick, and apply some concealer on top, and blend the edges out into my skin, using my fingers.

By doing this, I am able to completely hide a blemish, and even if I get up close in the mirror under a bright light, I cannot see it.

Love this stuff.

Update: I just wanted to mention that I've noticed it works best if I allow it to set after application for a minute or two. So now, I apply the secret camouflage with a detail brush, then do something else, like my eyeshadow, and come back to it. Just a tip.
I'm something like an NW25, and I got this in SC-3.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by stacymonique

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing concealer, but it is a little tricky to use. I live in Houston where during the �winter� the weather can fluctuate 20 degrees from one day to the next. This helped me understand how best to use this product. Thankfully, I used it for the first time when it was warm and it applied well, giving a thin but completely opaque coverage that looked like my real skin�not a cakey mess. However, when it got cold this concealer was hard as a rock�I even bent all the hairs on my concealer brush trying to use it. I couldn�t get hardly any product on the brush, much less on my skin. I found that if I blasted the bottom of the packaging for about 15 seconds with my hair dryer that the product warmed up and the application went back to being flawless. Of course that doesn�t really help me when I need to do a touch up while I am out. This product is not really designed for use under the eye, as it is a rather dry product, but I find that when it is warm and soft, it can easily be applied under the eye and it gives great coverage that doesn�t budge or crease. It is the dry, firm quality of this concealer that makes it great, but those same characteristics can make it hard to use, so if you live in a cold climate I probably wouldn�t bother with it, but if you live in a warm climate it is the best.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No