October 22, 2014 | 1836 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Poison

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2008 3:21:00 PM More reviews by slwrigle

One word... nauseating. I tried this based on the reviews that it is "dark and sensuous" which is totally my thing, unfortunately I didn't find poison to be either of those things. The smell is sooo strong, I literally used two drops out of the bottle on my wrists and the smell just made me sick. It is just way too strong. BTW, I am totally into perfumes, have never had that happen before where a smell just made me feel nauseous. Also, I don't know how to explain this, but it smells really dated, like the 80s. Glad I could return it and get my money back, I think I'll stick to Gucci as my HG of perfume for when I want to feel sexy and mysterious.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by electricbubblewrap

I adore almost everything about this perfume. I think the name "Poison" is such an alluring name for a fragrance. The bottle is so simple and beautiful to look at on my dresser. I LOVED the smell coming out of the bottle. I'm too young to have experienced the 80's Poison crave so I have no tainted memories of this perfume.

But...on me it started off smelling like potpourri and then changed into a powdery smell and that was it. I got zero of the sweet, plummy grape smell that wafted out of the bottle. It's extremely disappointing because I really want to be able to wear this absolutely exquisite perfume. I think I'll try spraying (VERY lightly) onto one of my shirts and see if it works that way but on my skin, it's just not meant to be.

EDIT: tried it again on my skin after showering - different results but still not pleasant. I still got potpourri but then I suddenly smelled something sharp and pungent and VERY reminiscient of B.O. The dry down smells nutty...like peanut butter. My gosh, what horrible things my chemistry does to this perfume! Or vice versa...I still give it 4 lippies just because I love the smell out of the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2008 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Ismellyummy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay this is a controversal scent to say the least. In the 80s those big hair mall girls would bathe in this stuff. We all know that was just WRONG. This is one of my favorite perfumes of all time. I have the espirit de parfum and a small dab on the pulse points and I smell intoxicating. I had a woman tell me this is the way this fragrance should be worn. If applyed with a heavy hand this stuff really does become poison with a light hand it's bewitching. I think it's a unique scent that makes a statement. It works beautifully with my Chemistry and when I go out at night when I'm dancing or very close to someone I am always told how lovely I smell. Another wonderful scent that gets a bad rap because people bathe in it. It's definitely a easy does it sister perfume. I absolutely love this and it's my come hither scent after working hours of course. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Gabriel679

I looooove this fragrance. Yes, it's strong and you have to be careful not to get too much on, but I find it dries down nicely and lasts throughout the day for me. As a child of the '80s, it brings back good memories, and some questionable fashion choices, but good memories all the same. Try it for a few days before you write it off completely, there's a reason it was so popular. And my husband loves it, too.

I will say that I wouldn't recommend it for summer wear-humidity changes the scent unfavorably.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2008 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Jasta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I never used this fragrance before, yet when I tried it I knew it well. I suppose I must have smelled it many times on other people. As it seems to divide opinion, I expected to love it or hate it, but I really found it unremarkable. On me, it seemed like an imitation of a good perfume, as the drydown was fairly cheap smelling. I think that's a shame, as I can think of few perfumes that are iconic enough to have entered my scent memory without me even realising it. Too bad it only smells good on other people...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by sertasheeplover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I remember my mom wearing this in the early 90's. I always loved it, but as a teen I was into sweet powdery fragrances. Now that im on the cusp of 30, my tastes have changed. Poison is my all time favorite perfume. I dont wear it in the summer(as its too overpowering in the heat) but that still leaves a lot of wear throughout the year.

Im not good at describing scents, but there is a hint of grape or wine to it. Its a rich, dark, intoxication scent. So sexy. My husband cant decide if this or Pure White Linen is his favorite(2 totally diff smells..go figure). I get compliments on this all the time by men and women. Its fabulous.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I sampled this personally for the first time in my life last week. Oddly enough, I am not overly familiar with this scent though it was apparently super-popular in the 80's (which I was approximately 1-10 years old then) so maybe I just dont remember. This stuff is STRONG You dont need me to tell you, everyone else is...but the thing is that I LIKE strong fragrances. So for this to be too strong to me is an achievement. I must admit though that I do like it. Perhaps I would purchase and wear...but it would be such a hassle to have to get someone else every time I wanted to wear this so they could spray it in my direction from several feet away. I assume this is the only way I could wear this without offending the general public more than I generally feel comfortable with. It is dark, mysterious, spicy. For the lady who wants to be noticed, not for a scaredy-cat like me. Definately not for everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2008 7:29:00 AM More reviews by princess89

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this is personally not my scent but my mum wears it and it toatally suits her and smells divine!!! so yes i would buy it again for her!!! x

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2008 10:33:00 PM More reviews by abigail71

I was in high school from 1985-1989 so Poison brings back lots of memories for me. I never wore it, but one of my closest friends did, and she wore too much of it. (or perhaps it always smells like one is wearing too much since it's so strong?). Now that 20 years has passed, I think I can objectively say that Poison is a classic perfume. Yes....it conjures up memories of big hair, tight guess jeans, ugly costume jewelry and glam rock band members in spandex....(or specifically David Lee Roth in ass-less leather chaps) but if you can let all of that go...Poison is in a class by itself. I don't wear Poison. Once in awhile I wear Hypnotic Poison (totally different fragrance). But I respect Poison and can understand how many women (and men) love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by bandabug

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

O.K., I give this 3 lippies due to the fact that, while I don't like it, it's an original fragrance and lots of ladies adore it. I agree with others who think that it belongs in a 1980's time capsule. My best friend in high school wore this scent and one whiff of Poison takes me back to the days of big hair, Guess jeans, and ugly costume jewelry. It's pretty potent stuff and certainly not for shy girls.