Dior Poison

3.4

on 8/18/2008 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Apt name for a perfume that can put me down with a migraine. I mean, I see lights, get tunnel vision, then fall into a two-day abyss of cranial agony. If I'm lucky it will only send me into a fit of allergic misery. And it's so STRONG! It's worse than Clinique Aromatics Elixir, which just give me horrible flashbacks to kindergarten.

on 8/18/2008 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is gagging-bad. Strong, overpowering tuberose flowers on a corpse that is starting to rot with that horrible sweet smell.... I abhor it. I can't believe it's considered a classic and that it's still in production when so many fantastic things are not. Note (from Now Smell This): orange blossom, honey, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, plum, rosewood, rose, tuberose, wild berries, cistus labdanum, carnation, jasmine, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, vanilla, heliotrope and opopanax.
Ah, I see. Plum and berries (wild ones, no less) doing their rotting routine. Great.

on 8/1/2008 8:41:00 PM

I can't help it - I'm a sucker for the scent. From the first ad campaign they had me, a perfume called poison! Who could resist. That being said I think there are 2 keys to it's sucess: 1). you need to use the Esprit De Parfum not the EdT. I find that the scent is really different in the bottle with the stopper (non-spray). Plus the spray bottle deposits way too much scent at one time. That's the whole reason people don't like this scent - it's too strong to be applied with a spritzer top. the 2nd is your own chemistry; on some people this scent just works - on others it really IS death (haha) - follow these two tricks (well if you can call your body chemistry a trick) and you'll leave them swooning in your wake. Smells like honey, blackberries, burgundy wine and spice.

This is a great currant-y cold as ice oriental. One spritz is enough for an elephant, however, so it must be applied sparingly - overapplication will utterly ruin it. I feel like it's only appropriate in the winter, for some reason. It's sweet, feminine, and strong!

on 7/4/2008 9:02:00 PM

I first started wearing Poison when I was very young (still in high school) and back then...it was very dramatic. My classmates often commented on it, they either loved it (the girls) or hated it (the boys). Now that I inhabit the (mostly) adult world, I find it's not so much of a shocker or a conversation piece anymore. I also, unfortunately find it doesn't really work on me. It's still very big, very lush, the perfume equivalent of a grand Shiraz, but I now find it kind of annoying (at least on me). I actually wouldn't mind smelling this on a man!

on 6/16/2008 3:21:00 PM

One word... nauseating. I tried this based on the reviews that it is "dark and sensuous" which is totally my thing, unfortunately I didn't find poison to be either of those things. The smell is sooo strong, I literally used two drops out of the bottle on my wrists and the smell just made me sick. It is just way too strong. BTW, I am totally into perfumes, have never had that happen before where a smell just made me feel nauseous. Also, I don't know how to explain this, but it smells really dated, like the 80s. Glad I could return it and get my money back, I think I'll stick to Gucci as my HG of perfume for when I want to feel sexy and mysterious.

I adore almost everything about this perfume. I think the name "Poison" is such an alluring name for a fragrance. The bottle is so simple and beautiful to look at on my dresser. I LOVED the smell coming out of the bottle. I'm too young to have experienced the 80's Poison crave so I have no tainted memories of this perfume.

But...on me it started off smelling like potpourri and then changed into a powdery smell and that was it. I got zero of the sweet, plummy grape smell that wafted out of the bottle. It's extremely disappointing because I really want to be able to wear this absolutely exquisite perfume. I think I'll try spraying (VERY lightly) onto one of my shirts and see if it works that way but on my skin, it's just not meant to be.

EDIT: tried it again on my skin after showering - different results but still not pleasant. I still got potpourri but then I suddenly smelled something sharp and pungent and VERY reminiscient of B.O. The dry down smells nutty...like peanut butter. My gosh, what horrible things my chemistry does to this perfume! Or vice versa...I still give it 4 lippies just because I love the smell out of the bottle.

on 3/30/2008 10:54:00 AM

Okay this is a controversal scent to say the least. In the 80s those big hair mall girls would bathe in this stuff. We all know that was just WRONG. This is one of my favorite perfumes of all time. I have the espirit de parfum and a small dab on the pulse points and I smell intoxicating. I had a woman tell me this is the way this fragrance should be worn. If applyed with a heavy hand this stuff really does become poison with a light hand it's bewitching. I think it's a unique scent that makes a statement. It works beautifully with my Chemistry and when I go out at night when I'm dancing or very close to someone I am always told how lovely I smell. Another wonderful scent that gets a bad rap because people bathe in it. It's definitely a easy does it sister perfume. I absolutely love this and it's my come hither scent after working hours of course. :)

on 3/28/2008 4:00:00 PM

I looooove this fragrance. Yes, it's strong and you have to be careful not to get too much on, but I find it dries down nicely and lasts throughout the day for me. As a child of the '80s, it brings back good memories, and some questionable fashion choices, but good memories all the same. Try it for a few days before you write it off completely, there's a reason it was so popular. And my husband loves it, too.

I will say that I wouldn't recommend it for summer wear-humidity changes the scent unfavorably.

on 3/23/2008 4:55:00 AM

I never used this fragrance before, yet when I tried it I knew it well. I suppose I must have smelled it many times on other people. As it seems to divide opinion, I expected to love it or hate it, but I really found it unremarkable. On me, it seemed like an imitation of a good perfume, as the drydown was fairly cheap smelling. I think that's a shame, as I can think of few perfumes that are iconic enough to have entered my scent memory without me even realising it. Too bad it only smells good on other people...

Popular Fragrances