October 31, 2014 | 878 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Smooth Down Butter Treat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2007 8:33:00 PM More reviews by tumara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After i conditioned my hair i put the butter treat in my hair, didn't rinse it out, i just towel dried hair and then followed it with the heat glide, and i LOVE the butter treat and how it made my hair feel. i WILL use this again! Oh and i have black hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2007 11:04:00 PM More reviews by lilpea

My hair - thick coarse asian hair. Currently not coloured or straightened.
    Butter treat is a very rich thick treatment which I use as a conditioner. It seems very 'slippery' which I guess is due to silicone but I do like it nevertheless. I don't use the smmoth down shampoo as that is overkill and made my hair very heavy with buildup. I currently use Paul Mitchell shampoo 1 and alternate with redken cleansing cream which keeps the buildup at bay. I don't like the tub, a tube would be much better. You only need a tiny bit of this stuff so whilst expensive, it still lasted me over 2 months using it as a conditioner every 2nd day (and I must add that I am one of these ppl who slather products on as I have long thick hair)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2007 9:48:00 AM More reviews by tatsky2

good nourishing treatment. Made my hair soft and manageable. I just wish it was richer.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2007 4:22:00 AM More reviews by erotic_snail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been straightening my hair for a few years now, I use Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner, as well as Redken Extreme Treatment. Oh, and Anti Snap!
    Recently I decided to pick this up to alternate with Extreme Treatment, and I'm glad I did.
    I use this probably once a fortnight or whenever I feel my hair needs it. I leave it on for 15 minutes, under a shower cap (I get out of the shower though) and then rinse.
    It doesn't give the soft, silky texture of all soft but it does make it feel smooth, moisturised and healthy.
    It smells lovely and somehow gives me the best results when I straighten my hair after washing with this - poker straight hair that looks natural and lasts.
    I don't like the packaging - comes in a large tub - I would rather squeeze it onto my hand than have to scoop it out, but otherwise I highly recommend!
    *Edit* - I now use Kerastase Masintensique and find it much better for my hair. It leaves it silky, soft, not weighed down and just lovely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2007 10:58:00 PM More reviews by MissMelissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love to have my hair colored, highlighted, lowlighted, etc. I don't use any heat appliances on my hair, but having it processed constantly is really rough on my hair. I have tried just about all of the Salon Brands of "deep conditioners" and I consider myself a bit of an expert in this department.
    I alternate this with Redkens' All Soft Heavy Cream and their Extreme Treatment. However; this is my FAVORITE for a few reasons. First off, it's the heaviest treatment, it's thick & very rich. I think it smells the best out of those three. Nothing foody either, it's a lovely floral scent. This one works wonders on my hair! It leaves it in fabulous shape! I do think it has to do with the way I use this product, so I'll share;)
    I always use this after shampooing and putting a towel on my head (turban style) to soak up the excess water. I put a cheapie shower cap over my hair, after I apply it and leave it on for the rest of my shower. Yes, this takes extra time, but my hair is worth it and so is yours! The heat from my head seems to make the conditioner work much better, too. It detangles the hair and makes it smooth & soft. I can always tell when I've used this because I barely have to use any styling products after it! It works soooo good! Usually, I pile on a bit of their Anti-Snap, a little serum, a handful of mousse, etc. My hair gets frizzy, very easily and this just makes it smooth and calm. Another plus about the product, is if your hair is really dry & damaged or super frizzy, you can use a tiny bit of this as a leave-in conditioner. I wouldn't use it as a leave-in, on the same day I used it as a rinse out conditioner because it might weight your hair down too much. I just love this stuff!!
    My hair guy used to give me deep conditioning treatments in the Salon. Since I've been rotating these three Redken treatments, he said my hair doesn't need it. How about that? I'll continue buying it and keeping it in rotation, until I find something better. I'm always looking for that:) You'll be the first to know if I discover anything else!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2007 9:02:00 AM More reviews by angelarock

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this as a companion to my allsoft shampoo. I normally use allsoft heavy cream (which I love) but I saw this and it sounded like it would make my hair even smoother and softer so I grabbed it. The verdict: a total waste of money. It did nothing for frizz, and I feel nothing in the way of smoothness or softness. I am back to my allsoft. I won't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2007 5:24:00 PM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have coarse wavy hair on the top of my head and straighter, more normal hair underneath. If I use the average drugstore conditioner it's pretty much like not using anything at all, the coarse hair just looks witchy. What I love about this stuff: 1) it leaves my hair really soft; 2) it makes it shiny; 3) works great as a leave-in conditioner, no buildup or residue and brings out its natural wave; 4) it's light, natural and healthy-smelling scent; 5) is non-irritating to the scalp, before using this I had some seborrhea-type clumps of dead skin on my scalp, now they are all gone.

This stuff just smells and feels healthy. Like I said the scent is light and natural, not obnoxious cheap fruit perfumey like many conditioners (My father uses it for his dry hair and scalp so there you go.) Butter Treat is not too expensive, around $13 for a large tube, and I got it on sale at Ulta recently Buy 2 get 1 free.

This is a REALLY good product, to me it performs like Kerastase but for a much cheaper price.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2007 9:56:00 PM More reviews by KWash

Makes my 3c/4a type hair very soft and manageable and no build-up. I'm on my second tube now. I have other conditioners in my arsenal, but I really like this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2007 9:41:00 PM More reviews by GloriaWondrus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First attracted by the scent, and now love it for the rich, softness it gives my dry hair. Tip: only use a tiny amount - dime size or less on my thick, shoulder length hair. What works best for me (when I have the time), is to comb it thru my hair, wrap my hair in a towel for 15-minutes, and then rinse it out thoroughly and blow dry. Another way that works for me is to put a small amount only on the ends of my hair and leave it in, then style. One of my favorite products now.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2007 12:58:00 PM More reviews by shybaby420

I love this stuff. Reading the other reviews makes me think this stuff is a love it or hate it product. I definitely am in the love it category. I have dry chemically treated hair and nothing conditions my hair like this stuff. I use it daily as a conditioner and I never have any tangles like I do with other conditioners. The Frederick Fekkai shea butter line is the only other product that works for my hair, but it is too costly and HTF in my area. This is available everywhere it is defiantly worth every penny.