November 27, 2014 | 1304 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2006 9:39:00 PM More reviews by jjff

To the one who used to be "transported" by the scent of L'Instant: do you find that some tales of love are retold in our mind long after those first nerve-wrecking days of longing and excitement as well as past the seemingly endless days of sadness that just would not leave after it was all over? Both happiness once felt and the later hurt have slipped away. You can no longer relive either--it's all finally in the past, and you are looking back at your memories with a tinge of detached melancholy, as if they were not your own.

To think back to the very first glow of enveloping tenderness or even earlier, to the moments when a person who had been just another acquiaintance, your interactions perfunctory and your heart at rest, began to captivate you. Then somehow, your friendly indifference faded away and things were never the same, taking on a magic quality as you awakened from the illusion of everyday humdrum, propelled to dream once again.

When I first discovered L'Instant, I was underwhelmed. It struck me as similar to Addict that I already owned and seemed so uninspired compared, on the one hand, to the formidable legacy of Guerlain perfumery, and, on the other, to numerous other florientals that continue to be churned out onto the market one after another.

As time went by, L'Instant grew on me until one day, I finally got it: I woke up and found myself freshly and poignantly in love. In an odd parallel with my life at around the same time period, there was this sweltering summer afternoon when I drove my old Chevy to a carwash, windows rolled down to compensate for defunct AC. Blasting French songs from a mixed tape I had had since high school, I felt so silly and so alive, relishing a premonition of happy days to come.

The uncertain and nerve-wrecking times with moments of almost unbearable joy here and there that followed, now seem, through the prism of days and months already turning into a plural of years, like memories that could not be mine any more than the proverbial "one that got away". L'Instant, a fragrance as life-affirming as it is troubling, remains an ostensible reality that links a longing left behind in time with the present moment when I wonder if you ever still think of me."Live your life/From dream to dream/And dread the day/When dreaming ends".

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2006 10:00:00 AM More reviews by magnificent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Regarding the great review by "ayala": L'Instant and TOCADE were both created by Maurice Roucel. Maybe this is the reason why ayala smells some similarity in both fragrances! Maurice Roucel created also the brand-new Guerlain: Insolent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2006 4:18:00 AM More reviews by miss_galiano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Firstly I should tell you that I am in love with Guerlain, so I will try everything they come up with, even buy fragrances before smelling them. They are so deep and magical and emotional. I have worn every one I can get my hands on and liked most of them, if not on me. When I first smelt L'Instant I found it cloying and too heavy and suffocating and too mature, which is strange since it isn't compared to Guerlain's classic scents. I did'n't like it on the card and can remamber finding it sickening on. But then every time a Guerlain SA did my makeup I wondered which heavenly scen they were wearing and they all told me it was this. The most recent Guerlain lady I encountered told me that she didn't like any of the Guerlain fragrances aside from this one as they were all too classic. I had to purchase two products in order to qualify for my makeup and I was running late for my hair appointment so I bought this without thinking. The SA recommended the parfum over the EDT and she was right, it is much more remarkable. As I was having my hair done I noticed the delicious scent wafting up from my wrist and couldn't wait to douse myself with it as soon as I got out. Maybe my body chemistry had changed or someting if that's at all possible. I managed to resist tearing the box open and waited until I got home. The bottle is magnificent and looks much more beautiful in real life than in any photo. It is the one thing in my bedroom I can't stop staring at, it just captures my attention constantly the way it is so luminous and the glass deepens down to purple. The male version of this scent is unbelievably gorgeous, although unfortunately my bf didn't like it at all. He is now my ex although I can tell that he likes this on me. I find this fragrance sparkling, magical, feminine, festive, seductive, intriguing, modern and elegant. I don't get any powderyness or sickly sweetness. Shalimar is pure powder on me, but this just gets better the longer it sits on my skin. Hour after hour it becomes more and more beautiful. I'm so glad I bought it. I recieved a compliment from a man I didn't even know today and I can tell that other men like it by the way they sort of lean in when I wear it and linger around. Wearing this makes every day more special. It subconsciously makes me feel happier, almost more positive and inspired and in love. Sometimes I get a whiff of something and wonder what on earth that divine scent is, then realise it is this

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2006 7:34:00 PM More reviews by ayala

I strongly resisted l’Instant when it just came out. It just was so not Guerlain. My first impression of it was of an unwanted (yet pretty) step-sister to the other Guerlain scents. Young and inexperienced rather as opposed to the sophisticated style that the other Guerlain scents radiate. Although l’Instant did not win my heart when I finally took on to wear it for a full day and notice its evolution, I did discover a beautiful magnolia scent – the trademark of its creator, Monsieur Maurice Roucel. L’Instant is a Floral. If anybody tells you otherwise, don’t believe them: this is not a “modern oriental”, in fact, it is not even what I would call floriental.

L’Instant is a scent that revolves around the theme of magnolia: sweet and honey like without being cloying (an element which the citrus-honey note supports); Iris to accentuate the fluffy powderiness; and a benzoin-vanilla base to maintain the sweetness as much as possible.

After application, I instantly recognized something familiar. It took me a while to get it - Tocade! Indeed, the two perfumes do share some striking similarities: both contain magnolia, bergamot, orris and vanilla. Tocade has a lot of roses, and in many aspects this is the main difference between the two. In fact, l’Instant is so similar to Tocade that I am surprised nobody picked up on it before. I will not be surprised if it is a tweaking of the Tocade formula – accentuating the magnolia rather than the rose and being a bit lighter on the powdery notes, with the addition of the new notes – like the crystalline musk and the citrus honey. The two also share in common the clean, crisp synthetic bergamot top note.

As the scent evolved on my skin, I got occasional familiar whiffs of pleasant memories – one originated in a magnolia body milk splash I had about 7 years ago, and the other was almost identical to a festive jar of lemon-scented honey (citrus honey with the addition of lemon flavour). Citrus honey, by the way, is honey which is produced form citrus flowers, and it usually has a much lighter colour and flavour than other types of honey.

Overall, l’Instant is a sheer and cheerful modern floral; Very pleasant and easy to wear even if not at all sophisticated or complex like most Guerlain scents are. I would take this any time over most of the recent Guerlain launches such as the Aqua Allegoria line, myriads of other fruity, floral and ambery-floral modern releases, and definitely won’t hesitate to pick this one over Insolence in an instant!
The crystalline base adds a somewhat aloof sensuality and sweetness – that is not unlike other modern orientals and florientals (i.e. the base in Addict, Nu, Kingdom and others).

Top notes: Rosewood and lilac notes, Bergamot, Mandarin
Heart notes: Magnolia, iris, citrus honey with some light lemon and orange blossom notes
Base notes: Benzoin, Vanilla (I couldn’t quite smell anything like amber).

Opening notes: Magnolia, Rosewood, Bergamot (Like the one in Tocade)

Heart notes: Citrus honey – clear, yellow honey with some lemon and orange blossom notes, Lily of the valley/lilac

Base notes: Benzoin, Vanilla, clear/white amber

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2006 11:10:00 AM More reviews by lilacterp

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

To start off, I love L'Instant! I never thought I'd be much into a Guerlain at this point in my perfume obsession, but yes, I love it. Ahh, a Guerlain that doesn't overwhelm me with complexity and class and all that jazz. L'Instant is not a classic Guerlain (although it may just become a classic in the future, just as Angel will) composition to my nose. It smells more modern and less regal, as opposed to many of the Guerlains, it seems. EDITED to add: L'Instant is not just a floral composition, in my view. It is classified by Guerlain in a "crystalline-amber" category. Having amber, it is clearly of an oriental AND floral nature, not just a floral fragrance. And to me, it does seem to come across as a modern Guerlain, as opposed to the more classic style Guerlain is known for. A superb modern floriental.All of this is fine with me, since many classic Guerlains, Carons, and Chanels are too much perfume for me to handle right now. L'Instant de Guerlain is a floral-oriental type of fragrance, with light but lasting and sparkling notes. I pick up the amber and citrus notes the most, with a sensual floral aroma throughtout. Although there is no vanilla, I get the feel of sweet vanilla from it, in the same way that Hanae Mori doesn't have vanilla notes but all the notes together combine to create that suggestion of vanilla. L'Instant smells very much like Boucheron Trouble to me, and it's not that surprising after comparing the notes: both have citrus, amber, and florals. They are not twins, but close friends with similar interests, perhaps. L'Instant is fresher and more floral, like a spring/summer version of Trouble. I love Trouble too, so it's not a shock that I would love L'Instant as well. It dries down to an ambery and floral honey scent. It's quite beautiful, and people often comment on how pretty it smells when I wear it. I think L'Instant and Trouble are different enough to own both, but not drastically different, in my opinion. Oh, and I love the L'Instant eau de parfum-- I haven't tried the pure parfum or other versions. The bottle is very lovely and fitting-- a heavy glass bottle that is made of ambery-colored glass that gradually deepens into purple at the bottom. The cap is also a nice heavy glass. I'm pretty happy with L'Instant de Guerlain, overall. A delight. THE NOTES, ACCORDING TO THE GUERLAIN WEB SITE: Citrus Honey, Magnolia Inclusion, Amber Harmony. continued >>

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2006 10:21:00 AM More reviews by rnornan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Extremely long lasting for a fragrance. I put it on in the morning and was still sweating it out later that evening at the gym. A nice scent that morphs quite a bit. The powder is what lasts on me, but none of the other notes do and that is too bad. There is a metallic tinge to the fragrance right after the top notes have burned off--it doesn't last long but it's kind of off-putting and electrifying--like foil in a filled cavity. It's not a phase I would want in any fragrance. Overall nice, but doesn't seem like me at all. I am just astounded at its lasting power, just wish I liked it more. By the way, I can totally see now why I didn't care so much for the L'instant de Noel version and Insolence either--they are very similar, same nose, and all have that distinct metallic twang and lingering powder at the end.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2006 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Goddess_Dreams

On me L’Instant de Guerlain is honeyed Dior Addict... maybe not as green as those initial notes in Addict are on me... so I guess that is what makes it bottle-worthy for me, even though I own a bottle of Addict as well... Both wear amazingly well on me and both earn me many compliments whenever I wear them. L’Instant de Guerlain however lasts even longer then Dior Addict and I find it more suitable for late summer, whereas I prefer Dior Addict for late autumn and winter... (not that I would stop wearing L’Instant de Guerlain at any point however ;)
It's just one of those fragrances I crave to wear!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2006 7:52:00 AM More reviews by jaider111

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wanted to like this....it had all the notes that I love, but I just have a thing about Guerlain, waaaaaaay too much. Is that the 'aldehyde' notes? It really is a nice scent from afar, but something about it is headache inducing to me, and it's pretty much like that w/ all their scents to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2006 5:24:00 AM More reviews by samaraiv

i absolutely hate this perfume, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it!my husand got me this perfume as my birthday gift from lebanon duty free, when i smelled it i asked him did you smell it before you got it for me?(because he knows what type of perfumes i like)the 1st time i put it on i swear by god my nose became runny like crazy and my eyes became red,i put on a second time also(for not to hurt my husband's feelings)and i couldn't stand it, it is soooo heavy for me and kind of sickening, no matter how i kept on convincing myself(it is not that bad, you can live with it)i couldn't , i'm sorry and i would definitely won't repurchase it again since my hg perfume is image by cerruti which i am crazy about and won't replace it ever
ps:i might give the perfume for my mother, she kind of like strong fragrances like poison and silencio

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2006 10:53:00 PM More reviews by scoplen

Men absolutely love this perfume! I have never gotten more compliments, even from strangers. On me the magnolia is predominant, with a bit of orange blossom honey and just a touch of amber and vanilla. It is not overtly sweet on me, more of a warmth from the amber. It smells very sexy and very southern belle but in a classy way. My husband says it reminds him of his childhood and the magnolia tree in his yard. Lasts forever, like all Guerlain perfumes. Very high quality. I have the EDP.