October 22, 2014 | 2023 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2008 9:35:00 PM More reviews by gyouko

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

As of right now, my skin is the worst it's ever been in my life. I bought this out of desperation to try anything. At first, it didn't seem like it was doing anything. But after about a week or two of using it night & day, it cleared up my skin quite a bit. Last week I used another new product on my face that made me SO OILY and about 6 or 7 cystic acne & a bunch of whiteheads and bumps popped up overnight. Needless to say , that was the last time I used that stuff. I used this acne wash again and in a few days, that breakout totally went down. Lifesaver!

The only things are that it does dry out my skin after washing with it so I have to use a moisturizer. And I don't know if it has to do with this product or if my face is just being really messed up again, but I seem to get really really oily when I wake up after I use this the night before. Or I get really oily in a couple hours of using this in the day. At first it's really dry & matte, then in a few hours, it's an oil slick. I'm not complaining since this product does control my acne like nothing has before but if it's making me oily again right after banishing those pimples, isn't it starting the breakout cycle all over again? It also kind of sucks at getting my makeup off at the end of the day. It's either that or my foundation is just really stubborn.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2008 11:44:00 AM More reviews by crystal105

I have been using this for about a month now, and I have to say, I like it quite a bit. I have used everything on my face (prescription and drugstore), and it's weird because my skin isn't -that- bad it's just that what is there, is extremely stubborn. So, I like this because it has a nice creamy lather, but it is not foamy at all. I hate foamy cleansers. It also removes make-up fairly well (though my foundation isn't particularly thick), but I have been considering getting a cleansing oil as a seperate make-up remover. I don't know that it's really done anything spectacular, but it has helped. It's only been a month and for five bucks, I think it's definitely worth a shot. My skin used to be really tough, but after all the retinoids it seems to get inflamed pretty easy, and I live in Minnesota where the winters get pretty harsh, and this still doesn't dry out my face.
EDIT: Damn't it IS drying. I have stopped using it and my face has returned to normal, but sad indeed because I had such high hopes.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2008 6:43:00 AM More reviews by tadeusz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i was reccomended this by a friend who has sensitive skin like me and while this thing is supposed to be "non-irritating" it made mine red and dry. i only wanted this for the few pimples i had and for a while it worked and my pimples went away faster than before and didn't irritate overly-much. but in place of those pimples i had bumps develop all over my face: my forehead, cheeks, and chin. the irritation started to build up and led to dry patches on my face and as mentioned before, bumps. now the stuff doesn't work much for me and if anything, it makes my pimples now swell a bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2008 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Breezy417

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this stuff is great! my skin used to be really oily and even after using this just once its soooo much better. i still get a tad bit oily during the day but not nearly as much as before... nothing a blotting sheet couldn't fix =) i've been using this for a few weeks now and i have to say that my skin is looking a lot better. haven't had any major breakouts since. i'm happy =)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2007 3:50:00 PM More reviews by missmolliegirl

I am so inconsistent in my skincare regimine, and as a result, I have a case of freaked out skin. I thought back to the clearer days... high school more specifically and was like, "What did I use back then?" and it was Oil Free Acne Wash (regular). Off to Target I went.. and I saw this one as an alternative to the harsh, drying original formula. Price was great @ $3.99... so I am even more happy with my nostalgic purchase. I have been consistently using this since September/October and I must say, my skin has been looking quite lovely. I have had a couple of blemishes during "that time of the month" as to be expected, but nothing drastic. I use this cleanser at night and in the morning, I use a less harsh, St. Ives Apricot Blemish cleanser with 0.5% salicylic acid.. to avoid over cleansing. I'm not sure if it's this cleanser that is clearing up my face, the consistency of my regimine, or the fact that I'm using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle (w/ retinol), but whatever it is it works!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2007 7:57:00 PM More reviews by whitney88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this face wash! I use it everyday in the morning and at night! Amazing stuff. That is really all I can say about this product...AMAZING..

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2007 1:00:00 AM More reviews by Milana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this cleanser. Actually I love the whole line of Neutrogena Oil Free acne products. I tried this product out of desperation after trying Biomedic peels,microdermabrasion, the expensive Obaji and Biomedic line, and Murad. The only thing I didn't try was Proactiv because I was too impatient to wait for a mail order. I checked on Acne.org to find out what had worked for different people. The consensus was find a line with no more than 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, salicylic cid and no silicones. I searched the store shelves and browsed the labels and Neutrogena was the only thing that fit the bill. I tried this along with the On the Spot cream, and the Oil Free Moisturizer and my skin had cleared up in a week. I have been using the Neutrogena line for about 3 months now and it's incredible how gorgeous my skin looks. I no longer get blemishes and the dark marks from my old blemishes have faded without the use of bleaching agents. My pores are also noticeably smaller. I can't believe that this inexpensive product did in 3 months what all those expensive products and treatments couldn't do in years. I'm so glad I found this product. I also use the Clear Pore Mask, the Oill-free Facial Scrub and the Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2007 8:25:00 PM More reviews by mawyyy

I've been using this for years, and it helps to keep my skin (which sometimes breaks out- more so during that time of the month) pretty smooth. I did have a bout with cystic acne because of a trauma that I went through, and though alone it didn't do anything combined with tazorac my skin cleared up.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2007 5:58:00 PM More reviews by alabasterdulcinea

I am 19 with mild combination skin and so far this is the best cleanser I have used for treating the small bumbs I get on my forehead and chin. I have used the foaming cleanser in the past but I found it too harsh (it also increases photosensitivity and I am already very fair). I use this twice a day followed by Dermalogica Multi-active Toner and then Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. In the morning I also apply Aveeno SPF30 for face. My skin is virtually clear and very even looking when I am vigilant about this routine. I have fewer breakouts and my skin is less shiny in the oily parts. If you have combo skin you need a moisturizer! But this keeps my skin clearer than anything else I have ever tried....

Also, if you are acne prone you should use sunscreen whether or not the acne cleanser increases photosensitivity (many do) as sun exposure can worsen acne.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2007 10:19:00 AM More reviews by zori

I always have acne cleansers available as I tend to break out occasionally. This does it job and does clear acne but dries out your skin (I have combo skin). Definitely use a moisturizer after using this product. Will not repurchase due to the drying effect.