December 18, 2014 | 1824 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2010 3:31:00 AM More reviews by MeiTai3333

I'm loving this brush lately! It's essential for getting the perfect gradient for a smokey eye! At first this brush lay rather neglected in my collection, but I've been using it a lot lately.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2010 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

This brush is amazing for blending out undereye concealer, and concealer in general anywhere you need coverage. I initially purchased this brush for blending out my eyeshadow, however I really don't like the 224 for that purpose- I find that it almost removes my eyeshadow when I blend them out with this brush, so I found another brush for that purpose. For the longest time, this was just sitting my my brush roll, and I suddenly relaized that this can be used for concealer blending. I tried this for applying my undereye concealer, and was amazed at how quick this blended everything! I usually used my finger, but I didn't like how it I tugged my skin somtimes so I wanted a softer alternative & the 224 does the trick :)

*UPDATE*

I finally figured how to create a really subtle smoky eye with brush. I simply add an eyeshadow to my lid, and when I apply my crease color with this brush I use soft 'windshield' wiping motions to create a very quick, smoky look, focusing on the Outer V- creating the perfect smoked out look. I'm glad I took a chance and tried this out again for eyeshadow. Before I used this to belnd out my exisiting eyeshadow I had applied with my other crease brush, and when I used this to 'blend' it just removed the eyeshadow I had already applied. This is a truly amazing brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2010 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Kdoll222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is what makes the difference in an eye look. I have tried the 217 and that made the blending line too thick, this sort of creates a gradient effect of blending when I use it in the crease. I really like the strong craftmenship of the MAC brushes, and how I feel like im using a pro's tool. It really makes the difference. To keep the hairs from splaying try a brush guard

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Glowydazzle12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this brush!!!
By far the best blending brush from MAC, it creates any look for you.
Everyone needs this brush if you use more than 2 eyeshadow colors.
The only downside is the fact that it's not as soft as other mac bristles, but hey! It's still the best!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2010 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Classycass01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush! Its my favorite brush in my collection! And definetly my favorite blending brush. It does an excellent job at blending. Very soft. Very precise. Very good quality. Will last you a long time. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 8:13:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This brush is too large and "loose", IMO, to do an adequate job at blending. I much prefer the MAC 217 and 222 brushes. It makes a good liquid concealer application/blending brush, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by vm5459

This is one of my favorite MAC brushes. I actually own two of this brush!! I use one for concealer which does a great job at blending it in and looks so much better than using the ring finger. The other one I use for highlighting and blending the smokey eye look. LOVE this brush and it is definitely a must have!! would buy a 3rd one if I ever need to!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by miraj

This brush gives less consumption on my make up. I just dip it it one quick second, apply it on my eyes and just blend the color in. It works like magic for me. I'm fascinated of how the color of the make up just holds on to the brush even without rubbing it to my eyeshadow (I literally do dip it in just one quick second). It gives that subtle smoky look when I do that which I mostly use during the day. If I'll go out during the night or if it would require a heavy smokey eye look, then I'd just use this to somehow blend the make up out to my crease. The con with this also comes from its pro - being fluffy. I don't use this if I feel like having smokey eyes that won't go beyond my crease. With it being fluffy, it automatically goes out of its way. But overall, I like this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by nola80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great blending brush or all over wash of color brush and now since watching Pixiwoo use for it concealer, it's the best for that too. I use only this for my concealer and it makes a world of difference! I use to use my BE concealer brush but my concealer always looked cakey and settled into my fine lines. With the 224 brush it just all blends perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by avalencia29303

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush. I have the 217, 222, 224, and the 226. I love them all for different reasons but the only ones that deserved backups were the 226 and the 224. Amazingly, I got all these at CCO and they still have all these so I might get more backups just in case lol. I'd really hate to lose any of these.

The 224 is good for those with larger eyes or if your blending large areas. For example, I use it if I want to blend further beyond the crease than normal, for a light wash of color over the lid, sometimes to highlight my brow bone or top of my cheekbone, to contour my nose, and the best trick of all, to blend concealer with it. I've always been a fan of blending with my ring finger so the concealer can warm a little bit and pat out but with this brush, it looks seamlessly natural and barely any product stick to the brush. I was amazed when I first used it but it makes perfect sense as this brush has synthetic bristles and it's very round and fluffy.

The 222 is made of goat hair and best for those that like distinct creasework or who have very small eyes. It has a tapered round end and much more stiffer than the other blending brushes so it's meant for direct use. It's perfect for creating a v shape on the outer corner or applying highlight in the inner of the eye.

The 217 is a made of goat hair and it's an overall decent blending brush. It'll work on the crease, to blend e/s on the eyelid, highlight the brow bone, and much more. While it's not my favorite, this is a staple as it does little bit of what all the other three brushes do. I guess that's why it's so popular. However, this one does fluff a little after washing so it's crucial to reshape this one. It's bristles aren't tapered fully which give it an oval rounded top so it won't be a favorite for those with small eyes.

The 226 is made of short rounded tapered synthetic bristles with an end point that resembles the 219. The reason I like this one is it's a weird combination of the 219, 217, 224, and 222. It's rounded and fully fluffy towards the bottom of bristles but when you start to go towards the top end, it starts to taper off almost to a point like the 219. It's also much firmer than the 217 or 224 but not as firm as the 222, so you have a nice medium with this one. Since it has shorter bristles, it's also good for those with small eyes or those who want more definition somewhere. My only gripe is it can get a little scratchy which I find absurd for the price, even at CCO. The only bad thing about this one is it's LE and so far, you can only find it at CCO's if you're lucky. Mine still has them which is why I'm debating to go get another one to store.

Overall, I love all these bc you can do complete looks just using one of them. I don't really have a favorite but they each have their place in my collection. I say if you really are particular on your brushes, and can afford it, get them all. If you just want a decent blending brush that can almost do it all, get the 217.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No