July 23, 2014 | 1843 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending (Windshield Wiper) Brush

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 8:13:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This brush is too large and "loose", IMO, to do an adequate job at blending. I much prefer the MAC 217 and 222 brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by vm5459

This is one of my favorite MAC brushes. I actually own two of this brush!! I use one for concealer which does a great job at blending it in and looks so much better than using the ring finger. The other one I use for highlighting and blending the smokey eye look. LOVE this brush and it is definitely a must have!! would buy a 3rd one if I ever need to!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by miraj

This brush gives less consumption on my make up. I just dip it it one quick second, apply it on my eyes and just blend the color in. It works like magic for me. I'm fascinated of how the color of the make up just holds on to the brush even without rubbing it to my eyeshadow (I literally do dip it in just one quick second). It gives that subtle smoky look when I do that which I mostly use during the day. If I'll go out during the night or if it would require a heavy smokey eye look, then I'd just use this to somehow blend the make up out to my crease. The con with this also comes from its pro - being fluffy. I don't use this if I feel like having smokey eyes that won't go beyond my crease. With it being fluffy, it automatically goes out of its way. But overall, I like this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by nola80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great blending brush or all over wash of color brush and now since watching Pixiwoo use for it concealer, it's the best for that too. I use only this for my concealer and it makes a world of difference! I use to use my BE concealer brush but my concealer always looked cakey and settled into my fine lines. With the 224 brush it just all blends perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by avalencia29303

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush. I have the 217, 222, 224, and the 226. I love them all for different reasons but the only ones that deserved backups were the 226 and the 224. Amazingly, I got all these at CCO and they still have all these so I might get more backups just in case lol. I'd really hate to lose any of these.

The 224 is good for those with larger eyes or if your blending large areas. For example, I use it if I want to blend further beyond the crease than normal, for a light wash of color over the lid, sometimes to highlight my brow bone or top of my cheekbone, to contour my nose, and the best trick of all, to blend concealer with it. I've always been a fan of blending with my ring finger so the concealer can warm a little bit and pat out but with this brush, it looks seamlessly natural and barely any product stick to the brush. I was amazed when I first used it but it makes perfect sense as this brush has synthetic bristles and it's very round and fluffy.

The 222 is made of goat hair and best for those that like distinct creasework or who have very small eyes. It has a tapered round end and much more stiffer than the other blending brushes so it's meant for direct use. It's perfect for creating a v shape on the outer corner or applying highlight in the inner of the eye.

The 217 is a made of goat hair and it's an overall decent blending brush. It'll work on the crease, to blend e/s on the eyelid, highlight the brow bone, and much more. While it's not my favorite, this is a staple as it does little bit of what all the other three brushes do. I guess that's why it's so popular. However, this one does fluff a little after washing so it's crucial to reshape this one. It's bristles aren't tapered fully which give it an oval rounded top so it won't be a favorite for those with small eyes.

The 226 is made of short rounded tapered synthetic bristles with an end point that resembles the 219. The reason I like this one is it's a weird combination of the 219, 217, 224, and 222. It's rounded and fully fluffy towards the bottom of bristles but when you start to go towards the top end, it starts to taper off almost to a point like the 219. It's also much firmer than the 217 or 224 but not as firm as the 222, so you have a nice medium with this one. Since it has shorter bristles, it's also good for those with small eyes or those who want more definition somewhere. My only gripe is it can get a little scratchy which I find absurd for the price, even at CCO. The only bad thing about this one is it's LE and so far, you can only find it at CCO's if you're lucky. Mine still has them which is why I'm debating to go get another one to store.

Overall, I love all these bc you can do complete looks just using one of them. I don't really have a favorite but they each have their place in my collection. I say if you really are particular on your brushes, and can afford it, get them all. If you just want a decent blending brush that can almost do it all, get the 217.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by piinkcheeks27

OMG My favorite MAC eye brush of all time & I havent reviewed on it yet?!?!!? Well here it goes! I loved this brush since the day I got it! I treat it as if its my own child. Its the best brush for blending and for defining my crease. I havent tried this brush for anything besides blending cuz it does its job so effortlessly. This is one of those brushes where you should be the money to buy cuz theres nothing else quite like it to be honest. The quality is so amazing & mine hasnt shed one hair! Its still full and soft. I wouldnt mind buying another one cuz its just that good. Out of all the brushes, this is the one i grab EVERYDAY! I love this brush & wonder what ill ever do if i dont have it. My favorite hands down! =))

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2010 7:54:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first, I was disappointed by this brush...it seemed too soft to be of any good for anything at all (I'd wanted the 222 but the MAC counter at The Bay doesn't stock that one - it's only at MAC stores). However, after working with it for a few weeks, I came to like it a lot more. And then I saw some people on YouTube using this brush to apply concealer so I thought I would give it a try. WOW...it does a fabulous job of blending in concealer so it looks natural but does its job, rather than blending it totally away, like some brushes do. If this brush weren't so darned pricey, I'd purchase a 2nd one for concealer alone (wish I hadn't wasted the money on the brush that MAC touts as a "concealer brush" but which is actually just a waste of money and good for nothing at all, IMO).

I do wish MAC would do something about their brush packaging....I know they want us all to buy their brush rolls and such but for me, that just ain't gonna happen. It would be nice if they would sell their brushes in packages that could be reused for when you travel or want to throw the brush in your makeup bag, purse or gym bag. I mean, really, how much would it cost? Lots of far less costly brushes come in little plastic packages that are reusable.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 8:45:00 AM More reviews by mjhdesign

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Since I have small eyes I prefer the 217 for the most part since it has a more precise tip, however this is still an excellent brush for blending out the crease or for a final blending one over to get rid of any harsh lines.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2010 3:12:00 PM More reviews by labellemarianne

This is a HG brush for me ... I went in to MAC to be color matched for a new undereye concealer and the girl applied it with this brush a la Pixiwoo and Pixi2woo on Youtube. I had, of course, seen them do it before but I was blown away when I saw on myself how this blends the concealer in without tugging on my eye area AT ALL. Not even the teeniest bit of skin moved, even the smallest amount. When I use my fingers, I always worry about tugging, even when I do it very carefully. I bought the brush because of that and hope to be able to use it for many years to come (and save me some premature wrinkles).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2010 8:13:00 PM More reviews by utprincess

This brush is a dream when it comes to blending out shadows. I LOVE my 224 brush! I am so thrilled with this purchase and feel the higher price tag is totally justified. Easy to work with, excellent at blending, and soft on the eye lids. Great buy!