MAC Blot Powder - Medium/Dark

4.4

on 1/15/2010 10:46:00 AM

This is a nice blotting powder that helps control oil throughout the day. It can get cakey if you put too much on, but other than that, it makes your skin look fresh and matte. The packaging is nice for throwing into a purse. This was the first thing I purchased from MAC, and I like the silky application and the oil control. The color match doesn't have to be perfect because the powder is so sheer.

on 10/18/2009 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Although I have used this powder for the last decade [on top of studio fix powder], I don't love it, it's just the best I've found, and better than wasting money trying a bunch of others that are terrible. I have really oily skin and although this powder does a fin just blotting, I don't feel like it does anything to prevent future blotting.

What I like: it doesn't pile up on the skin or cause other makeup to look cakey; it's as good as translucent even though it not called translucent anymore; I can use it 10 times a day; does a good job blotting oil and moisture

What I don't like: I probably do have to use it 10 times a day; I break the powder all the time or when it gets low and you can see the bottom it breaks on its own; doesn't "control" oil; it can get ruined by oil/moisture on the powder puff

My biggest peeve is that the powder gets ruined by the puff, and using a brush for quick touch ups and blotting is not practical, for a powder like this where the puff is going to pick up oil and moisture, the puff should really be stored under the powder. When the powder gets moisture in it I scrape off the top layer and that helps sometimes. I have also tried to see if I can get the powder into a studio fix compact with no luck. I'd love a recommendation on a really good blot/oil control powder where the puff isn't stored on the powder if anyone has one...

on 10/18/2009 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this blot powder! If you have a night-out & want a quite fix up on your oily-ness. This product is what you should use. It gives you that matte finish to your look, so you look freshen up once again. It is ofcourse better if you use it with a separate brush, but I prefer the little puff that comes with it because it's just easier.

on 10/12/2009 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I've been using this for years and still absolutely love it. I use it to set my foundation and touch ups/blot through the day. It really helps to control the oil especially on that t-zone! Would purchase this forever and ever!

on 10/11/2009 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

First and foremost, this is not designed for coverage. Repeat, NOT for coverage. Being an warm golden NC40, I opted for the Medium Dark. I suppose this could be a setting powder as well but since I wear Studio Fix powder foundation, I think starting the day off with both of them on actually clogs my pores.

I've been using this for the last couple of months and have been thoroughly satisfied with this product. The real trick to using the blot powder, in my experience, is that you should first pat away oil with a blotting sheet and then apply blot powder to keep all the shine minimal. On really good days, there's no shine at all. I often re-apply this mid-day in the office and have had great results. No zits or crazy breakouts!

My only real gripe with the compact is that unlike the Studio Fix compact, is that there is no separate enclsoure for the powder puff. I suggest you purchase a small travel brush or do what I do- flip the puff on its back to minimize powder contamination.

on 10/11/2009 11:42:00 PM

it definitely does absorb the oil on your face. im extremely oily on my t-zone and this blot powder keeps me oil free throughout the day. i only have to touch up twice during the day which is impressive!

on 9/12/2009 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I'm in love with the blot powder!!!...On a day I don't feel like wearing layers of make up, I simply wear my concealer and powder on a thin layer of the blot powder.. makes my skin flawless and absorbs excessive oil.. have purchased it over and over the years... Even though the packaging is a bit crap because once it cracks, there's no solution to it, except to grind it into a powder... but overall, a great product!

on 9/12/2009 6:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love this powder. Thanks to mua and michelle phan's video, or else I would have nv even have thought of using this powder.

I actually bought the mac's oil control lotion from cco @ woodsburn outlet. Unfortunately that didn't help to control my skin's oil. However, this powder is so good that no oil appears on my skin. Like no shiny-ness or greasy skin.

I work almost full-time in a retail shop always needing to move around and constant physical type of work and im amazed that without needing to reapply the powder. absolutely no oil appears at all. (but of course, once i touch my skin, i'll see oil on my fingers)

However I do have to take one lippie off cause it really dried up my skin for a bit around my mouth and nose area, which does show up after my makeup (nasty). But it's all good now, I just used did some exfoliation this morning to rid the deadskin, which appears a lot better. Additionally, it's still a bit pricey for it's packaging.

Anyways. It works for me. Love it.

on 9/6/2009 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I use Mac Blot in "Medium Dark" over my Mac Studio Moisture Tint in "Dark". It's fairly translucent, and I think "Medium Dark" would work well with most medium-tan skin-tones. I like this powder because it's translucent, doesn't cake up with touch-ups, sets my TM well, and does keep oil at bay for a decent amount of time. I have a super oily t-zone and have given up on finding a powder that will keep my oilies at bay for long, especially in the summer. But Blot is THE BEST I've found, and I've tried many, many, many pressed powders. Will def. stick with Blot from now on!

on 7/26/2009 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Bought this to use after foundation, to give my face a matte finish. It does the job alright. It just made my face look cakey EVEN when I used a fluffy powder brush really lightly. And it broke me out too. The matte effect lasted 2 hours and it gets a bit oily in some areas, I will just blot it with blotting sheets instead of applying more product. What I absolutely dislike, is when I wear it to a bar/fancy clubs, I look at myself in the mirror and its so obvious there's powder on my face. It made my face look so much whiter compared to my body. In daylight, it looks fine which is it matches my skintone albeit a bit cakey. Probably not good for photoshoots either. I don't know, just my experience & opinion.