October 25, 2014 | 1718 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by Lizzybean

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have spent a good chunk of my adult life looking for the perfect facial cleanser. Yes, agreed, I do need to get out more. My ongoing search for cleansing perfection finally (finally!) led me to this lovely little tub o' goodness, and, unusually for skin care, perhaps a bit of self-awareness to boot.

I use Pond's Cold Cream every night to remove makeup and cleanse. I used to use cleansing milks (RoC, LRP, Avene, etc.) followed by Bioderma to pick up whatever got left behind (which could be quite a bit, depending on the scariness of my mascara application for the day). After switching to this cold cream, I discovered that there was no need for a second cleanse - this takes off 99.9% of my makeup, which is good enough for me. You need to massage the product into your skin A LOT (for at least 1 full minute - sing "Happy Birthday" to yourself 4 times in a row if you don't feel like setting a timer); also, I would recommend taking it off with a hot washcloth and not tissues. I find the hot cloth method is much better at removing more stubborn makeup, and the exfoliation from the washcloth keeps dry patches at bay. This should go without saying, but make sure you wash your little fingers before dipping them into the pot.

The "mineral oil makes you break out" debate is, in my view, a bit ridiculous. Mineral oil is incapable of getting into your pores - the molecule (a nice, long hydrocarbon) is far too big to fit. If this product makes you break out, don't use it, but look into the other ingredients (this one is full of some not so pronounceable chemicals), 'cause it's likely not the mineral oil's fault.

As to the self-awareness? Sometimes, I get sucked in by hype and fancy packaging only to be let down by a less-than-stellar performance. For $4 CAD, I get baby soft, clear skin without blocked pores or dry areas. Yes, the smell is kinda funky (it grows on you) and yes, the product itself is a bit outdated and not particularly environmentally friendly. That said, it works. Really, really well. Don't judge a book, peeps: the plain white + green tub on the bottom shelf is an absolute kick ass.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2013 5:08:00 AM More reviews by katb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

wanted to really love this, i really did b/c of call the great reviews, but sadly this did not work for me (used in conujunction with ponds dry skin creme). left me with more breakouts that i never had before! will go back again later and try again and if anything improves will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by arielleem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing for removing make up and clearing acne. I just rub this all over my face and eyes and remove with a baby wipe. Make up gone, skin moisturized, redness and pimples barely noticeable! This has been the greatest thing for my stubborn acne. It's not gone completely because I haven't yet found my holy grail cleanser and moisturizer yet but my acne has gone down tremendously since I started using this. Redness and scarring almost gone. No break outs only reduction in acne. Sometimes I even slather all over my face and go to bed with it on and wake up so Dewey and less red. Love it will use forever and ever. Recommend it everyone especially my acne friends!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

Skin reacted with a rash like breakout on the forehead along with little pimples & deep ones as well. Too greasy for my liking! This did not make my skin feel irritated or tight on a positive note.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I could say I like this cream. Yes, true - after using this cream at night, in the morning the face looks all 'dewy' and fresh etc. But a few hours later, it looks like an OIL CLOTH. Also I am allergic to the DMDM ingredient. I notice small pustules on the face, the following morning after using this.

I thought the old formulation (which did not have DMDM Hydantoin) was okay - nothing great because it has mineral oil as the main ingredient.

Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate is supposedly acutely toxic according to some websites; ceresin is claimed to be a boot polishd and other household polishes ingredient. Add 'dmdm' to this lethal mixture and it is out of my comfort zone. What is more annoying is that Walgreens, Jergens, CVS etc have changed their cold-cream ingredients to include DMDM!!

Byebye, DMDM! If the old formula is restored and animal testing avoided, Ponds would be an acceptable product line!
There is nothing 'cool' about this non-classic product. I had to use this cream on my legs and feet, to finish it.

Instead I use rosehip seed oil and it has been doing wonders to my face.

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:18:00 AM More reviews by Azie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the below, I learned that my skin can't handle mineral oil which this is high in, steer clear of the stuff if you're the same!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by MissEstelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ick. Broke me out like mad when used as a cleanser, no matter how well I wiped and rinsed after, and I still needed to use regular makeup remover for my eye makeup afterwards.The big tub means it gets dusty and icky really quick.

I am using it for moisturizer on my legs after I shower now, for which it works fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by JessT88

I have been using this as a makeup remover for years, but I would wash it off with my acne wash because I was afraid of how greasy this feels. AcneFree severe system was the only thing that helped my acne, but I would always get dry flakey patches which is a joy to deal with. One night I decided to use this how it's instructed, just rub it on and wipe off with a warm washcloth. I was so amazed the next morning! My face was not oily, it helped a few of the dry patches and now a week later I don't have any dry patches, I have not broken out and my face feels healthy! My boyfriend thinks I'm silly because I keep raving about it every morning...Come on, this stuff has been around for 150 years! My mom used it, my sister used it and I was just using it to remove make up for years??? Hilarious but so awesome. It's cheap too, I can buy 3-4 of these jars for the same cost as one AcneFree kit. I use which hazel sometimes too, but that is just out of routine, I don't know if I need it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by KaiteKins

Breaks me out everytime I use it............

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2013 11:18:00 PM More reviews by livelynnlipstick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is way to greasy for me