October 1, 2014 | 1815 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Select Sheer Pressed Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2010 8:41:00 PM More reviews by gier

This is definitely my favorite powder. It has the best coverage. It makes my face look matte and flawless. I normally wear NC35 in Studiofix and Studio Stick, but this seems to run a little darker because I wear an NC30. I have tried many pressed powders from drugstore to high-end and I always seem to reach for this one the most. This is a must have in my makeup bag at all times.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by eat245

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just got this powder a couple of days ago, and already I love it. I wanted powder that would absorb shine in my T-zone, even out my skin tone, and conceal my redness just a little bit (I know I can't expect powder to do the job of foundation...). The MAC SA helped me select a color which was right-on. I've been applying the powder with a big fluffy powder brush and love the results. The best thing is that unlike so many other powders that I've tried, it does not make my pores/blackheads more noticeable. In fact, it helps make them LESS noticeable. It's got a great texture and feels very nice on my skin, and does help keep me matte for a while. I will definitely repurchase when I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2010 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Dahlia11

This powder is average to be honest. I like it, I'll use it, but I wouldn't cry if it was discontinued, and I probably wouldn't repurchase.
Pros:
-It's very nicely milled. When I put it on, it leaves a nice finish and it's very soft. I apply with a powder brush.
-It gives a good amount of coverage, so I can use it to set foundation or simply without foundation.
-It doesn't oxidize. Almost everything under the sun oxidizes on me, so that much makes me happy.
-It has a very wide color range/selection. That's not always easy to come by, and I'm glad I actually have a match in this powder.
-It controls oil fairly well. I don't really need to reapply, and my nose oils don't eat through it. When I do reapply, it's not cakey.
-The compact is good. It's your basic MAC compact, it's sturdy and I'm not afraid to keep it in my purse. The puff works decently for touch ups.
Cons:
-When I apply this, sometimes it feels tight or drying on my face (assuming I have no foundation under).
-It transfers like no other. I can't hug my boyfriend or wear a light colored shirt and expect to wear this powder. It will rub off on other fabrics.
-It doesn't last very long. I've used it probably 3 times a week for less than 2 months and I'm already seeing pan. I use a brush so I don't use that much powder, so I expect it to last at least 6 months. Maybe my expectations are too high, but if someone was to use this every day up to medium coverage, it wouldn't last more than 2 months. And buying this 6x a year sounds kind of silly.

Overall, it is a decent powder. I haven't broken out from it, and it's neither heavy nor weightless on my face. I rather try out other brands and products before settling for this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by AvaLily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

NC40-NC42
$27 CAN

Although this is good for setting my makeup, I would not use this as a touch up powder as it seems to oxidize and turn darker on me when I do. I might consider using this without foundation, maybe in the summer time. But I think I will stick with my Blot Powder as my go to powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2010 8:34:00 PM More reviews by Naturalchick27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I swapped for this because my Clinique Stay-Matte was starting to oxidize. I am kinda on-the-fence with this product only because I think the color I got is too dark. When I first apply this over foundation, it's fine. Not a completely matte-finish but not oily. By mid-day, my t-zone turns orange and when I touch up with this I can see it just sitting on my skin. I will most-likely edit this soon because I plan on trying a lighter shade. So we will see how that goes. For reference, I am NC 42-44 and W7 in Loreal Tru Match.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2010 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Stakey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The texture of this powder is really good, but the colour runs a little too dark for my liking. If it came in a colour similar to the MAC Blot Powder (which is what I use now) I'd definitely purchase again. I find the applicator provided really nice to use. Not bad if you're not as fair as me!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Bassclef

I swapped for this without any particular forethought, but I'm glad I did, because it's a great product! I have it in NW-20, which is my exact match. It's a smooth pressed powder that offers light coverage, minimizes pores, mattes oily t-zones, and has great staying power.

On my quick face/natural look days, I use my ELF Studio powder brush (extremely soft dense flat-top brush) and apply this over my nose, cheeks, and forehead, after a little concealer. I don't usually reapply, but this lasts very nicely. Maybe it's a touch on the expensive side, but it works better than DS powders I've tried. Hasn't caused any skin irritation either.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2010 10:17:00 PM More reviews by lileffer77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought this product back in December and only regularly started using it about a month ago. I used it to set my colorstay foundation everyday and was raaather pleased with the result. My skin looked perfectly smooth, radiant, and flawless. And then of course it broke me out after about only 3 or 4 days of consistently wearing it. I broke out in places where I never get zits, so it kind of threw me. It didn't take me long to realize this product was the culprit-- it was the only thing I'd changed in my routine. And now that I've switched back to a cheaper yet more trustworthy powder I'm familiar with, my face is back to normal, thank goodness.

So sad I can't use it anymore. I was quite taken with it. I won't be trusting any of MAC's face products in the future, I've heard too many stories of women's skin not reacting well to them, and now I've experienced it for myself. I'll just be sticking to their shadows and lipglass for now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2010 1:12:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

This is one of my favorite powders. I notice that more people seem to prefer the Mineralize Skinfinish, however I find that it emphasizes my pores and does not control my oily skin very well. Select Sheer really has one of the finest, softest textures in pressed powder that I ever felt. It feels almost creamy. It gives a soft-focus finish to my foundation because it is very light, not chalky at all. I find that it is better to buy one shade down because most powders oxidize a bit during the day, especially if you have oily skin. (I am normally NC15, but in this I bought NC5) It really makes my skin look 10x better!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by egrenierca

Love this powder. I hate to say it but paying more is a good idea when it comes to make up lol. I have tried sooooo many products and i really like this powder. it makes my skin so soft after applying it and when i apply over my studio fix fluid foundation my skin looks fabulous. it evens everything out so nice and sets everything perfectly. it makes my pores less visible and its lovely:) the packaging is like a typical compact and comes with a sponge which i do use. i like a fuller coverage and i find that applying it with the sponge is a great way to achieve the look i want. i don't pack it on but i just press it onto my skin for that perfect look. some people talk about leaving the sponge in compact making a crust on the top, but i simply turn it over so the sponge part is faving the mirror instead of the product itself. the price is a bit expensive but it's one of the best i have used to i guess it's worth it. great stuff