September 19, 2014 | 1258 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 6:04:00 PM More reviews by alucinor

LOVE this primer. I like it a lot more than Smashbox. With this one you can tell where you're putting it and the thicker texture really fills in pores and lines. It's so so soft, controls my oily t-zone, and keeps my make up looking great all day. It IS pretty expensive, but it's a real winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Baylie

I love this primer. Makes my skin feel very soft - very smooth and my foundation just glides on. I've been using for over a year now and never had any problems with break-outs or anything like that. My make-up
lasts all day and it really helps "fill in" the little lines and creases. (Not the bigger ones like the parenthesis lines - but the smaller ones around the eye area). I love the tube and you seriously only need a very small amount so it lasts forever. Definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by Peaches1027

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this in a catalog and immediately purchased it. It makes my pores look smaller, and it smooths and evens my complexion. This is way better than Smashbox, and cheaper. You need less than the size of a pea, so this will last forever, making the price more reasonable. I can wear Velvet Touch, a couple dots of concealer, and then brush on Bare Minerals Mineral Veil and I have perfect skin all day and night until I wash it off.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 1:42:00 PM More reviews by kims121

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff. I have very oily skin and this is the first product I've tried that lets me go just about all day without oily shine. I've used under my liquid and mineral powder bases. I wish I'd have found out about this when I first started using makeup. Leaves a very light coating on skin, you can't really feel it, but your skin is baby smooth. I've not experienced any breakouts. Give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2008 8:55:00 AM More reviews by MichelleB2008

I have been using DHC Velvet Coat for well over a year. I cannot tell you how much I love this stuff. It makes my skin so very smooth, really plays down my pores AND my makeup (powder or liquid) goes on very smoothly and easily. I have fairly oily, and acne-prone skin and this stuff works wonders. It does not make me break out and seems to help my makeup last a bit longer than without the primer. It's a bit pricey, but DHC has sales and you get a decent price, plus the stuff lasts for quite a while.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 10:05:00 PM More reviews by msvelmalyn

I really liked this and thought my face looked and felt wonderful. But I am new to primers. So I would buy again but would like to try others to compare.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by sincityshopper

I wear this primer every day. I wouldn't dare apply my makeup without it. I have also tried MAC prep & prime face with no luck and went back to my trusted velvet skin coat. I am going to try the Monistat chafing powder/gel if it is available at the drugstores near me. The price alone makes me ultra curious.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2008 6:33:00 PM More reviews by soozeq68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with a previous reviewer, it has a very similar consistency to chapstick. I like Smashbox much better. I do not use a primer on a daily basis but I do like it for occasions when I really need my makeup to stay put and look flawless. Smashbox does that.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by acertainblue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I haven't read through all the reviews, so maybe someone's said this before but... I don't see it in the 1st few pages here. So... after trying the sample and liking the way it felt, I ordered it - to use some days without much make-up (I rarely wear foundation, so by make-up I mean mascara and a little blush; maybe some eye liner. so, for most days, I wanted it to help fill lines and give a more consistent texture and maybe some moisturizing. On my rarer days, using foundation, etc., I trusted what I'd been told - that it would help with that. I received the stuff and used it about five times. Here are the problems I experienced: First was the size you get for $20 - not much/very small! Next, I'm wondering if I was just having a "good skin day" when I tried the sample. 'Cause when I used it more I found that, on my yellowish, nearly olive skin, it doesn't quite work - makes me look too pale/pasty. I do very much appreciate that DHC has a liberal return policy... so you can guess what I'm doing...

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by Laera

I loved this product. My makeup glided nice and smooth all over and it lasted the entire day. Only downside is that, when I removed my makeup, an hour or two later, there was one small cystic pimple on my chin. Wow! I rarely break out but this product made me break out. What a surprise...and disappointment. I really loved this product. It made my skin look flawless but I think it covers everything and (possibly) covers the pores to the point that the skin can't breathe. I'm not sure i'm going to use this product again. We'll see....
UPDATE: It's been awhile since the original posting of this review and would you believe it's taking a long time for the blemishes to go away. The cystic pimple went away after 3 days and after religious use of triple anti-biotic ointment (my skin's too dry for regular acne creams). But now I occasionally break out in blemishes (or rather, tiny red raised "spots" here and there). It's no biggie since the DHC Q10 Foundation does an excellent job of hiding them but they're obvious when I don't wear makeup. The "spots" are going away though (thank goodness!) but it's just taking awhile. Well, looks like i'm staying away from this product. And I already threw away the sample. :-(