Chanel Bronze Universel De Chanel Sun Illuminator

4.4

Cyclopentasiloxane,Dimethicone, Silica, Ozokerite, Methoxycinnamate, Silica, Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Parfum, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Lecithin, Tocopheral, Ascorbal Palmitate, Glyceryl, Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, [ /- (May contain)CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77491, CI 77499 (Iron oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica]

on 11/30/2009 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My first impression, "WHOA!" Not directly at the product, but the price tag it came with. I was a little hesitant about buying this product due to the price, but I heard about this product from a YouTuber, Lisasz09 who highly raved about this bronzing make-up base. This product used to be called Bronze Universel, but has now been revamped to Soleil Tan De Chanel. Besides the product name, the only difference between the is the color of the Chanel logo on the top of the cover. Bronze Universel is white, while Soleil Tan De Chanel is gold.

This product is labeled as a bronzing make-up base. From my understanding, aside from a bronzer, this product can be utilized as a make-up base (which I am assuming for individuals whose skine tone is close if not, the same as the product). Its consistency is comparable to NARS' Multiples. It is a cream bronzer, but once applied to the skin, turns into a dry finish. It has a slight fragrance to it, but nothing unbearable. In the container, there is a slight gold-like sheen, but nothing noticeable on the skin. The color pay off is not orange or muddy brown on my skin. It simply provides me personally a nice color - just like a natural tan.

Below are the pro's and con's I have regarding this product:

Pro's:

- Color (like already mentioned, provides a color of a tan)

- Blends effortlessly (I apply mine with a 187 MAC brush, stippled and blended using short circular motions and it is not streaky)

Con's:

- Price (retails for $48, while the product is nice, the price is a little too steep for me)

Besides the price, I find this product as one of my favorites bronzers. It provides the color I want from a bronzer and it does not streak. I'm sold!

I bought this back in may and have only used it a few times..i always seem to forget i have it,its a nice product with a decent scent..gives a great glow to my complexion..ive used it under foundation and worn it alone w/mascara as well. only because it will last me forever and i dont use it that much i wont repurchase.

on 9/11/2009 2:52:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was disappointed when I first bought it and swapped it, then I decided to give it another try and thanks that I did that because now I love it. I use it as a base for either a stronger shade of bronzer or for blush and it lasts the whole day giving the skin a healthy natural sun kissed glow. Now it is a must for me. Im nc25 for reference

on 9/2/2009 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Adore this stuff..if only it didnt cost soooooo much!! I was forced to find a dupe since i use bronzer everyday. I am telling you maybelline dream matte mousse foundation gives me the same look! I just buy it a shade or two darker than my skin tone and its feels the same going on my face and looks the same but maybe a bit more coverage..hard to explain the consistency of this..but it is the same! And costs so much less! I am in love!

on 8/30/2009 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

For a cream bronzer .. this thing ROCKS! The only better one I've tried is NARS South Beach. Chanel Sun Illuminator gives a gorgeous sunkissed glow that isn't incredibly obvious. The only complaint I have on this is that it tends to be a smidge orange for my NC40 skintone .. but it blends beautifully and is perfect mixed with foundation and a little bit of MAC Strobe Cream. I can't see ever having to replace this because it's huge. Overall .. one of Chanel's better bronzers.

on 8/30/2009 8:42:00 PM

Hi! I got this bronzer when I purchased my nail color from Chanel..!! I was thinking of getting but thought it was limited edition! but it wasn't! so I bought it straight away when I saw it* and I'm glad I did!
This is a cream bronzer (like a hard-cream) and you can apply it with your foundation brush!!!
My skin color is quiet light but it doesn't look fake when I wear this!!! its not orangey at all and I love the color... :)
it looks super natural on the face because you can blend the color!
Since summer is coming up in Australia, I thought I'd get a bronzer.. and this will be in my top 3 bronzers........with laguna by Nars, So celyon by Mac......... etc!!!!

on 8/3/2009 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Loved this product, looked great, smelt great, but BROKE ME OUT! started breaking out on the second day, red bumps would appear on my cheek bone area after i washed my the makeup off at night. made me really sad cause i heard such good reviews about it, bought it loved how it looked. After I stopped using this product, the red bumps cleared up. I believe is the scent in the product that broke me out, i pray for the day they will make the same product without a scent to it. I do not have sensitive skin, nothing has broken me out before. sucks :(

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love this product more than my MAC golden bronzer powder. It dries to a matte finish on my skin leaving a believable brown tanned colour. No hint of orange and its slowly buildable too and thus foolproof. It also smells beautiful and i therefore look forward to putting my 'face' on in the morning!
EDIT: I am subtracting a lippie.....i still like it - don't get me wrong. If you are warmer skintone, this would be such a good bronzer for you. For me (NC20 for ref) it has a slightly too orange glow for me. But when I use my ST Tropez whipped bronze, it's still very nice....but for everyday, i prefer my NARS laguna!

on 7/1/2009 4:19:00 PM

This is a preliminary review, based on my first (and, so far, only application). This is an interesting product. The jar is squat, elegant, and wide in diameter (about 3.25" wide). Let me be clear that any error in application is the result of my not using the proper brush. I would watch YT pixiewoo for info on this, but I believe she used MAC brush 109 (small contour) to apply it. The formula is smooth and cool, like a gel-cream, with great slip to it. The color, from what I hear, would not necessarily work well for those who are deeply tanned to begin with, but I have fair/medium, very slightly warm-toned skin.

The application is very smooth, almost powder-like and, with the correct brush, requires minimal smoothing of any harsh lines. In a couple of C-type strokes, from under cheekbones to the temple, a subtle (but not invisible) shading appears that actually resembles a true, sun-kissed glow. This product is not shimmery, but produces a very low-key sheen that mimics natural skin-very effective. I hit my chin and the bridge of my nose with just a light sweep of the brush, and I was ready to go out the door. I do like the fact that the color is buildable, that you can really go as deep as you want.

What concerns me is that the color might just be a tad too warm for me, but I will try to apply it differently, and maybe pop my cheekbones with something rosy for balance. Even with the oil my skin produces after an hour or so post-cleanse, this product did not get that dirty, gloppy, muddy look so common with me and bronzers. I missed Smashbox's cream bronzer so much-it was the only one I could use successfully, and I may have just found its replacement. A little goes a long, long way-this jar will last me well into the fall or possibly to year's end (or longer). The soft-serve type swirl on top of the product barely showed grazing with just one application and, as fair as I am, much is not needed to achieve the desired look.

I'm quite happy with my purchase at the moment-a little tweaking on my application method should produce a perfect look for me. It can be used with or without foundation and powder, provides seamless color when properly applied, and doesn't change color. It doesn't have HG status, but that could change with a little experimentation. For the price, I think this will last such a long time for me, that it's not extravagant. This product is a keeper.

on 6/27/2009 3:16:00 AM

Even though its quite pricey IT IS WORTH EVERY CENT!!!!!

the most amazing thing i've ever seen in my life!!!!!! My HG, My everything.

Popular Bronzers