Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 5/29/2010 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is my fave top coat. I usually paint on 2-3 coats of polish, let it sit for a minute, then paint SH Mega Shine Top Coat. To be safe, I always wait at least 10 minutes before I start doing normal activities, but I'm pretty sure it would be fine after 5 minutes. But I HATE dents/nicks on my nails, even if they're not noticeable to anyone else, so I always wait at least 10 minutes. I do my nails weekly. I don't like the look of old polish, to me it just looks dirty. I'd rather take off all my polish than have my nails look unkept. I've tried Seche Vite and SH Mega Shine works just as good at almost half the price. I've purchased every single SH Mega Shine I own or have owned from Big Lots and Dollar Tree. Whenever I see them at either store, I stock up. SH Mega Shine has the same con as Seche Vite, by mid-bottle, the product gets thick & gooey and you have to toss it out. Another con and this is a big one is, the bottle SUCKS! You can't see how much product is left or if the brush is even dipping in product. But when it starts to get thick & gooey, I just toss it out anyway.

on 5/25/2010 8:30:00 PM

I love this top coat. It applies flawlessly and drys within seconds. It leaves my nails looking very shiny. It costs anywhere from 5 to 7 dollars. The only thing I dont like is the packaging. It is nearly impossible to see how much product is left because its in a silver bottle.

on 5/25/2010 7:15:00 PM

This product works wonders for shine. I really love the glossiness it gives your nails; almost looks wet even when dry. The downside is that while the shine lasts through multiple handwashing, it does chip after a day for me. I'm a busy mom, and this does hold up well to my day-to-day routine. I still love this, and only use it for those special occasions, like when attending weddings or other events and only need the polish for the night.

on 5/17/2010 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I got this free in a twin pack. And I really like it! It's goes on really easily- pretty much glides on without all the thickness (but is thick enough and not runny), and leaves behind a professional glossy shine! What is not to like?? And the brush is great too- not too skinny, gets the product on quickly (and smoothly!) without ruining your paint job. It definitely keeps the polish looking fresh for a while. I would totally buy this again, it' a great top coat. Just remember it won't stay that shiny for THAT that long- that's the only thing.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is the best ever. I have not used any other top coat in the last 7 years of my life. I use everything else OPI or Essie but my top coat has to be this one, it definitively prolongs the time I can wear my nail polish like not other. In my toenails, after one week I apply another coat and it lasts at least two more weeks. I really could not do without it. I dont even dare to try any other brands.
Oh! Did I mention how cheap it is? Amazing!

on 4/4/2010 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this for 50% off so it was dirt cheap to begin with. I originally got it for runs in stockings and to put on the back of a belt but today I used it today after painting my fingers and toes and couldn't BELIEVE how quickly it dried.

I applied a very thin coat. I am going on holidays tomorrow and not bringing any nail polish with me so I'm really hoping it will do what it promises.

UPDATE- I'm editing to give this 5 lippies. This stuff is AMAZING. I also got it in a clear bottle. I spent an entire week in the sun, sand and salt water and my nails still look amazing (other than that they're growing). Maybe people are putting it on too thick. I put on 2 thin coats of revlon nailpolish on my toes with a thin coat of this overtop and on my fingers I put on 2 thin coats of lancome nail polish with a thin layer of mega shine top coat overtop. I can't BELIEVE how well my nails held up. I'm gonna stock up on this immediately.

on 3/31/2010 5:57:00 PM

UPDATE: STILL AMAZING. Stays on for a week without chipping! Holy crap! But I do have to say that it is better to put on dry nail polish. If you have thick layer of polish and put this one while it's wet, the surface will dry faster than the inner layers and if you move your hands around you will see unnatural ripples! (Which I thought was so cool!!..but I guess it's not so cool that I had to redo everything). But wearability is still amazing. ORIGINAL REVIEW: I don't know if I got the new version of this thing, but mine came in clear glass bottle. And on top of that, I have to say I am truly amazed by it. I put on Essie's first base basecoat, 2 coats of OPI polish, and one thick coat of this and my nails were dry in 5 minutes. This is crazy. I was still sitting there waiting silly, after 5 minutes I did not expect this to dry, but I guess I forgot I was drying polish and went up and got my cup, accidentally bumping my nail on the handle. You know that feeling ladies, you go "Sh*t, now I have to redo everything." But when I looked at my nails, they were prefectly fine. I touch them, they are drier than anything you can imagine, and you can press it with decent amount of pressure. Imagine the joy! Because I was just about of buy the OPI drip-dry, and this costs half the price! Forget Seche, it smells like industrial paint and is banned in several countries. But this one doesn't. It smells like normal polish. I'm hooked. I don't think mine will peel because the Essie's basecoat is some serious stuff. So technically I found my HG top coat that shines and dries in a blink of an eye. I will update on the wearability.

on 3/23/2010 5:08:00 PM

Definitely makes nails shiny. Definitely dries quickly. Definitely makes nail polish peel off, but for me, I didn't notice that until at least a week later. I didn't even know this was sort of a Seche Vite dupe and I like it (steal it from a roommate sometimes hehe). Though, even though it says you can use it on wet polish, don't. It doesn't work, just lives a big streaky mark where your nail polish used to be (it is now on the brush for this).

on 3/20/2010 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

"mega shine"? I think not. I swear my nails actually duller than they do w/ my normal TC (SH 'dries instantly'). I hate the bottle since it's impossible to see if you've got the brush coated in product, or even how much product is left. When I applied SH Insta-Dri drops it actually just rolled off this stuff instead of spreading out and doing it's job. If I hadn't gotten this for free I'd be pissed about spending money on it.

on 3/4/2010 5:08:00 AM

I bought this because i had heard it was comparable to seche vite. I used this over rimmels black cherries polish and there was no extra shine, but it did make my polish dry quickly.. A day later my nails were already chipping and then the polish just peeled off in one big chunk! I'd rather stay with my double duty and wont be purchasing this again!