Maybelline Volum Express Mascara

3.6

on 9/5/2009 2:51:00 PM

This has become my standby mascara... I have tried SOOO many brands but this one is a consistent favorite. It adds a little volume and length and holds a curl. I'm starting to believe there is no such thing as a perfect mascara, but this one meets my needs for the most part and I have found myself not as interested lately in experimenting with other (pricier) brands.
**UPDATE** had to take off a lippie because I just don't get good results with this anymore. Not sure if the formula changed or if it's my lashes maybe because I do use Latisse and my lashes are quite thick/long now. I am currently using and loving Prestige My Biggest Lashes.

on 9/3/2009 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I have had good luck with this one, more luck than with the numerous department store mascaras Ive tried. Full n Soft is my other drugstore mascara standby. This formula is a bit wetter and takes longer to dry. I always curl my lashes, and this holds a curl well. I can layer it about 3482379 times with the help of a lash comb to avoid clumping. Throughout the day, smudging and flaking is minimal, if existent at all. I recommend trying this product, especially considering how inexpensive it is.

on 9/1/2009 11:41:00 AM

I picked this up on sale with little expectations. Surprisingly I quite like this mascara as I was able to achieve a nice natural day time look with two coats.
It added small to medium amount of volume (nothing too shocking or over the top, despite it's name) and definitely lengthened my lashes without clumping, but the results I achieved reminded me a lot of the Full & Soft mascara by Maybelline. The only difference is the brush. Volum Express's bristles are less dense and compact compared to Full & Soft.
The mascara wore well through out the day with no smudging, flaking, or that dreaded drooping lashes effect. Overall not a bad product for a natural day time look. Would only purchase this again if I ran out of Full & Soft and/or this was on sale.

on 9/1/2009 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I used to use this mascara when I was in middle school so when I saw it on sale in cvs I said why not try it again after all this time. Well being that I was so young I didn't know that this mascara sucks! Its really wet like the loreal voluminous, but it barely gives you volume, and doesn't lengthen at all!!! This would be a good mascara for a young girl just starting out with makeup.

on 9/1/2009 10:42:00 AM

Ultimately one of the best mascaras for me. I've tried quite a lot over the years, from Diorshow, Clinique, Chanel... I always seem to come back to this. It's also THE mascara that has gotten me compliments - I've been asked more than once whether or not my eyelashes were real. This adds drama and intensity, and volume is easily buildable. This, and the 2000 Calories mascara from Max Factor work like a charm for me... Lashes are fuller, longer, more seperated and intensely black.
Only downside is that some of the ones I got dry out rather quickly which results in clumpy lashes after a lot of use... But for the price and quality comparison, this is great. I do think mascara is very personal since everybody has different kinds of lashes, but for me this is superb. Drama anyone? :D

another underwhelming buy. The formula is a nice jet black color, but this mascara is clump city for me. The brush does not do a good job at defining lashes.

on 8/20/2009 7:10:00 AM

Its an alright mascara, didn't do anything extraordinary. It does give volume, but it gets pretty clumpy. Doesn't last too long either because it dries out fast and clumps so much you don't wanna use it. I like the packaging tho.. I love fat mascaras lol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I thought I would try this stuff again since it was my beloved mascara
From highschool. No wonder I used it in highschool, I never experienced
good mascara before..this stuff is so wet and dries slow. Weighs down
Your eyelashes and doesn't hold a curl. I just think it really sucks, it makes
My eyelashes look like they're really wet and droopy. No volume
No thickening
No length
Just gross gross lashes

on 8/15/2009 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I remember this mascara from earlier and it was very great for that price, so, when my financial stuff was low, I decided to buy this one instead of the one I wanted - Guerlain'a Le 2.
It appeared that this mascara isn't the same I used earlier (I took it from my mum), I have 5x.
I like that this mascara keeps lashes soft- not in plasticky effect most of new mascaras produce. They maybe are light, I prefer 'heavy'.
Things that I don't like are:
1. It takes a time and lashes to get rid of it. When you wash it away using hot water (that's what I prefer, because cleansers often get into my eyes and it feels really uncomfortable then) it's sticky and unpleasant and sticks to fingers. This really is my dislike in general.
2. Not much of effect at all. I use as a 'base coat' Dior's Diorshow Black Out and this one on top for promised result.

on 8/10/2009 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have the curl one.

It does NOTHING for length.
A bit for volume, but it can be very clumpy.
Very difficult to get at the inner corners of my eyes.

Doesn't work too well for Asian-y eyes, in my opinion.
It's alright, I still use it, I just don't think it works wonders for me, I'd have to pair this with a lengthening mascara too.

It doesn't really hold a curl either.
Won't buy again.

I think it smudges a bit too.
It just might be me though, maybe if I tried it again it'll look better. I might update this.