October 22, 2014 | 1954 users online

Powder - Cover Girl - Simply Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2008 8:43:00 AM More reviews by pinkdiamonds29

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The main thing I like about this powder is that it does not give you that garish "I'm wearing powder!" look. It appears soft and natural, like you're not wearing anything at all. The packaging is a basic black case that includes a powder puff and mirror. I love the blendability of this powder, it doesn't chalk up like some others tend to do. You get a nice, even medium coverage that lasts for most of the day, and doesn't require re-application. This is a great, basic powder foundation that would work on just about anyone.
Would buy again?: Yes.
Recommend?: Yes.
Price?: $4.99USD at CVS

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2008 2:29:00 PM More reviews by doORdye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am pretty amazed by this powder foundation! I recently switched from BE to Colorescience and at first I thought that was my new HG. I do love how it looks and does not break me out, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking there has got to be something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg that can be just as good. Well I used to use CG back in the day, like when I was 14 and just experimenting with makeup and I used it for years, through high school. But I used a different liquid and powder at that time. Anyway, I was killing time at CVS a couple days ago and saw this one, Simply Powder. And I thought hmm maybe I can give this one a try. It's dirt cheap so if I dont end up liking it then its ok. I bought Neutrogena's Healthy Skin concealer with it (only because it was 40% off lol). And I am very impressed with the finish of the two! I simply have a flawless face! I havent tried the powder without the concealer underneath, so I'm not sure yet if it has enough coverage for me by itself. But what I do is apply the concealer to my under eye/eyelid area, over acne scars and I just have one pimple right now that I had to cover. Blend all that in and then apply the Simply Powder on top. It's a beautiful finish! It doesnt look powdery at all, It looks creamy but absolutely NO shine. A beautiful matte finish. I would compare it to MAC Studio Fix and Clinique Perfectly Real compact. As long as this does not break me out I will continue to purchase! Oh yeah and the color is a perfect match for me. I am very fair and freckley and I have Classic Ivory. It doesnt look pink and doesnt look orange, it looks like my skin! I hope this isnt being discontinued soon, it seemed like the store only had a few on the shelf. hopefully I will be able to continue to purchase!

Edit 11/20/08: I stopped using this because unfortunately I was breaking out :-( I really wanted to like this, I really wanted it to work out for me. I do still stand behind what I said about the finish and how great that it looks. I just can't use it anymore. I don't really know if this is what caused the breakouts, but since I stopped using it my skin is much happier. I took away 2 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2008 1:38:00 PM More reviews by rainbodragon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

very good at controlling oil, medium coverage, better coverage than most powder or pressed "mineral" foundations ive found. blends well, good match for my skin tone. not powdery looking. unfortunately there isnt enough coverage for me. anyone trying to cover scaring or redness will not be satisfied with this alone. does look nice over my maybelline pure mu, but im looking for easier, i dont want more steps to getting ready.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 3:33:00 PM More reviews by lizzy666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was using studio fix, which broke me out, but I kept using it because I was in denial. Anyway, I was getting really tired of having to redo my makeup in the afternoon and I noticed it was the studio fix powder, it just did gross things on my face. So I remember using this when I was younger over my foundation, and went out to buy it. The lightest, 505, is still a little dark, but so was the lightest studio fix. What I like is that it hasn't broken me out, hasn't changed colors, and hasn't settled anywhere. I'm shiny, but I touch up and it didn't look all cakey after that.
Overall I like it better than studio fix (at 7.49, pretty good!), I just wish they had lighter shades.
But most importantly, unlike studio fix, this does not cause cystic acne on my face...I'm looking normal again since using it. Also, it has better coverage than shiseido powdery foundation. It also sets my liquid foundation much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2008 2:37:00 AM More reviews by sosuga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this compact since...high school? Which was about 8 years ago. Yep, really. This is my HG easily...I always buy it over and over. I have very tempermental skin and it goes from flaky to oily so easily its ridiculous. That and its acne prone, so this stuff is perfect because it does NOT cause break outs or any con at all for that matter. And yes you *must* thoroughly cleanse the sponge..or replace..continuously to keep the make up fresh. I dont know what I would do if CG discontinued this stuff

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been hunting for the perfect powder foundation for almost a year now. When I say perfect, I mean color matches my fair skin without making me look washed out, it can offer good coverage, doesn't look cakey, and doesn't fade or oxidize drastically through the day. I thought I found that in Maybelline PureStay, but I soon realized the color was too pink to be flattering. I've tried Simply Powder multiple times, and each time I haven't been fully happy. The compact it comes in is probably the best part. It's very sturdy, so I know if I drop it, it'll be ok. It also comes with a nice, thick sponge and big mirror to make on the go applications simply. Now, onto the powder itself. Cover Girl has a terrible habit of over-stating undertones, especially pink. It took me a while to realize it, but after seeing my face in natural sunlight, the color was too dark (510, classic ivory), and too pink. Ugh. So, I kept using it anyway, trying to make myself like it. The coverage is just like CG classic liquid foundations. It can even out redness and cover very minor imperfections, but it doesn't have the ability to hide dark marks. You can build the coverage without it looking cakey or thick, but I feel like I have to reapply this a few times during my makeup routine because it disappears or something. Then, I'm constantly putting more on through out the day to keep it looking decent. Overall, this is ok if you can find the right color, and not need too much coverage. For me? I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2008 11:46:00 PM More reviews by beautifulasian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The packaging is not so sturdy but the content itself is quite good quality. I used shade "classic ivory" and it perfectly suit my skin tone. This product may be a bit too dry for dry or normal skin but I used this only when I had quite oily skin back then. (2002~) This also lasts long and gives you very sheer coverage. I liked it alot so did my friends. This is not very cakey yet kinda gives you flawless look without heavy make-up look. I would buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2008 9:32:00 PM More reviews by kurrywoo12

Putting the package together was difficult lol literally took me about 20 minutes haha but that okay. This actually has really good coverage. I was always skeptical about powder foundations because I like full coverage but powders never deliver. But out of boredom, I tried this product and its really good. I have freckles and redness, and this totally covered them all. It really does "cover like a liquid" like they say (I was shocked) I didnt quite get the perfect color, I'll go with buff beige next time as creamy natural was ever so slighty pinkish, but still wearable. Make sure you moisturize before because like all powders, it can emphazise flakes. But seriously, this is a really good product. And the sponge it comes with actually works! haha But really, Im very very impressed with the coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by jerseygirlLove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

not a BAD product, but not for me. i find looser powders work better for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2008 11:58:00 AM More reviews by tracyveronika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If I had written this review 5 years ago, I probably would have given this product a higher rating. It works wonderfully if your skin is oily. However, now that I'm older and have more dryness in my skin, this product doesn't work as well for me. (I like to use powder foundation in the summer because it's lighter.)
One warning--you need to let any moisturizer dry completely before using this product, to otherwise you will get very noticeable streaks on your face! (Trust me, it's happened to me more than once.)