Cover Girl Simply Powder Foundation

3.9

Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Dextrin, Calcium Silicate, Nylon 12, Zinc Stearate, Quaternium 15, Lecithin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Propylparaben, Methicone, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Methylparaben, Lauroyl Lysine, Glyceryl Rosinate, Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, May Contain:, Ultramarines

on 1/23/2009 11:06:00 PM

I like both HE and drugstore cosmetics. The bottom line is, does it work, and is it wonderful. WEll, I tried this Simply Powder from CG and was very surprised at the quality. It is quite good, and matches Clinique Almost Powder foundation, and MN Luxiva powder foundation, almost, or, maybe completely! I will certainly buy this again. It covers, well. The shade I am using is Classic Ivory. It stays on and makes the complexion look finished. The only drawback I can really find is that when you purchase this, it is hard to fix the compact. You have to learn how to"unfold" and slip the mirror side in the right side without breaking it - no joke. Anyway, I am not a mechanic so I have to proceed with caution. Edit: I wanted to say that I have dry skin and use a moisturizer underneath, and low and behold, it does not change color. It does not turn orangey! I feel it covers very,very well. It does not make my skin look dry and holds up through the day. For those who love the comfort of a foundation, I feel I have no makeup on at all! UPDATE: I have been trying all kinds of foundations lately - have been on a foundation kick. As I have said before, this is an expensive hobby. Believe it or not, this is my fav now out of all I have reviewed, and I like the others I reviewed. The Simply Powder is cheap, too. How did I win out this way - who knows! It is wonderful to find my best foundation for such a low price! I use the Classic Ivory. (The compacts look a little darker in the pan, but run true to form.)

on 12/16/2008 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I tried this powder twice and was disappointed both times. If you're a woman of color it'll be hard finding a shade that really suits you. It seems like all they do is darken the shades they already have without changing the undertones at all. A girlfriend of mine once asked "Do you have a fever? You look so pink and flushed." :S Not what you want to hear the day you try a new makeup. The coverage was ok, good if you want medium coverage, but you do have to reapply at least once because it can get a little shiny later in the day. It runs out faster too. Overall it was an average powder at best.

on 12/1/2008 2:03:00 PM

I love this. I have tried other CG foundations and powders but this is the best! I would definetly repurchase this and I will replace it w/my Clinique's foundation that I use now. It's cheaper and I love how it looks on me better. I'm glad I bought this!

I bought this on a whim after reading some reviews on here. I am glad I did, except that the classic ivory is too dark for my fair, cool toned skin. If the color was lighter, it would be perfect. I apply it with a kabuki brush instead of the included puff. I just brush it on, and get sheer coverage. It doesn't look powdery and it is completely matte. The magic of this product is that it gets better looking on your skin with time. It hasn't broken me out and it doesn't seem to settle in my fine lines. This was cheap $5 and definately worth trying.
EDIT: I don't know what all the hoopla is about stuff being "talc free" ...I haven't had any problems with this and it has talc in it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

The main thing I like about this powder is that it does not give you that garish "I'm wearing powder!" look. It appears soft and natural, like you're not wearing anything at all. The packaging is a basic black case that includes a powder puff and mirror. I love the blendability of this powder, it doesn't chalk up like some others tend to do. You get a nice, even medium coverage that lasts for most of the day, and doesn't require re-application. This is a great, basic powder foundation that would work on just about anyone.
Would buy again?: Yes.
Recommend?: Yes.
Price?: $4.99USD at CVS

on 10/25/2008 2:29:00 PM

I am pretty amazed by this powder foundation! I recently switched from BE to Colorescience and at first I thought that was my new HG. I do love how it looks and does not break me out, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking there has got to be something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg that can be just as good. Well I used to use CG back in the day, like when I was 14 and just experimenting with makeup and I used it for years, through high school. But I used a different liquid and powder at that time. Anyway, I was killing time at CVS a couple days ago and saw this one, Simply Powder. And I thought hmm maybe I can give this one a try. It's dirt cheap so if I dont end up liking it then its ok. I bought Neutrogena's Healthy Skin concealer with it (only because it was 40% off lol). And I am very impressed with the finish of the two! I simply have a flawless face! I havent tried the powder without the concealer underneath, so I'm not sure yet if it has enough coverage for me by itself. But what I do is apply the concealer to my under eye/eyelid area, over acne scars and I just have one pimple right now that I had to cover. Blend all that in and then apply the Simply Powder on top. It's a beautiful finish! It doesnt look powdery at all, It looks creamy but absolutely NO shine. A beautiful matte finish. I would compare it to MAC Studio Fix and Clinique Perfectly Real compact. As long as this does not break me out I will continue to purchase! Oh yeah and the color is a perfect match for me. I am very fair and freckley and I have Classic Ivory. It doesnt look pink and doesnt look orange, it looks like my skin! I hope this isnt being discontinued soon, it seemed like the store only had a few on the shelf. hopefully I will be able to continue to purchase!

Edit 11/20/08: I stopped using this because unfortunately I was breaking out :-( I really wanted to like this, I really wanted it to work out for me. I do still stand behind what I said about the finish and how great that it looks. I just can't use it anymore. I don't really know if this is what caused the breakouts, but since I stopped using it my skin is much happier. I took away 2 lippies.

on 10/21/2008 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

very good at controlling oil, medium coverage, better coverage than most powder or pressed "mineral" foundations ive found. blends well, good match for my skin tone. not powdery looking. unfortunately there isnt enough coverage for me. anyone trying to cover scaring or redness will not be satisfied with this alone. does look nice over my maybelline pure mu, but im looking for easier, i dont want more steps to getting ready.

on 9/25/2008 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I was using studio fix, which broke me out, but I kept using it because I was in denial. Anyway, I was getting really tired of having to redo my makeup in the afternoon and I noticed it was the studio fix powder, it just did gross things on my face. So I remember using this when I was younger over my foundation, and went out to buy it. The lightest, 505, is still a little dark, but so was the lightest studio fix. What I like is that it hasn't broken me out, hasn't changed colors, and hasn't settled anywhere. I'm shiny, but I touch up and it didn't look all cakey after that.
Overall I like it better than studio fix (at 7.49, pretty good!), I just wish they had lighter shades.
But most importantly, unlike studio fix, this does not cause cystic acne on my face...I'm looking normal again since using it. Also, it has better coverage than shiseido powdery foundation. It also sets my liquid foundation much better.

on 8/30/2008 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have been using this compact since...high school? Which was about 8 years ago. Yep, really. This is my HG easily...I always buy it over and over. I have very tempermental skin and it goes from flaky to oily so easily its ridiculous. That and its acne prone, so this stuff is perfect because it does NOT cause break outs or any con at all for that matter. And yes you *must* thoroughly cleanse the sponge..or replace..continuously to keep the make up fresh. I dont know what I would do if CG discontinued this stuff

on 8/19/2008 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I've been hunting for the perfect powder foundation for almost a year now. When I say perfect, I mean color matches my fair skin without making me look washed out, it can offer good coverage, doesn't look cakey, and doesn't fade or oxidize drastically through the day. I thought I found that in Maybelline PureStay, but I soon realized the color was too pink to be flattering. I've tried Simply Powder multiple times, and each time I haven't been fully happy. The compact it comes in is probably the best part. It's very sturdy, so I know if I drop it, it'll be ok. It also comes with a nice, thick sponge and big mirror to make on the go applications simply. Now, onto the powder itself. Cover Girl has a terrible habit of over-stating undertones, especially pink. It took me a while to realize it, but after seeing my face in natural sunlight, the color was too dark (510, classic ivory), and too pink. Ugh. So, I kept using it anyway, trying to make myself like it. The coverage is just like CG classic liquid foundations. It can even out redness and cover very minor imperfections, but it doesn't have the ability to hide dark marks. You can build the coverage without it looking cakey or thick, but I feel like I have to reapply this a few times during my makeup routine because it disappears or something. Then, I'm constantly putting more on through out the day to keep it looking decent. Overall, this is ok if you can find the right color, and not need too much coverage. For me? I wouldn't buy this again.