April 20, 2014 | 1653 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by pineapple808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is so hyped up and I feel that it's mainly because of Kim Kardashian.... who can deny her makeup always looks flawless!! It's a nice setting powder especially on medium-dark skin tones but I personally don't think its good for everyday use. It can look cakey but with the right application it looks amazing. I got the 8oz jar for $23 I believe and I don't know what I'm gonna do with all that product!! A little goes a long way and its shelf life is 24 months so I'm gonna have to share the loves with all my girlfriends lol....

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by persianpersuasion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm IN LOVE!!

I have pretty oily NC30/35 skin with very strong yellow undertones.

I have been religiously using Coty's Airspun powder in translucent which did an okay job at combating my shine, but always gave me a pale, powdery, ghostly, dull appearance and needed to be reapplied several times a day.

Banana powder is the PERFECT long-lasting, yellow-toned mattifying powder for me! I use a regular powder brush to dust it all over my face, and especially focus it on my undereye area. It gives me a beautiful glow and keeps me shine-free nearly all day long!

I normally use MAC's SFF foundation but due to a tight budget I have been having to downgrade to Loreal's true match in W4 which is too light and not yellow enough for me; but banana powder gives me the yellow tint and sheen I need!

This is definitely a new staple. I am addicted!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this because of the hype...I know, I know (put's head down in shame). I don't normally do it but it just kept calling me and then click, click it was in my cart...seconds later it was paid for. I must say that I am new to setting powders, this is in fact my first. I have used Bare Mineral's foundation powder in the past. In comparison the textures of the Ben Nye is so fine, it almost feels like silk. It is very fine milled and I needed the tiniest amount to set my under eye concealer. I never realised up until a few months ago how dark underneath my eye's had become. Lot's of late shift's and poor sleep will do it. I really notice that this powder complements my skin, there is no grey ashy tone when I put this on. My under eye area now appears to be brighter and less cakey looking with the banana powder on. The only thing I am not to keen on is the container it comes in. I will have to decant this into something. Perhaps in future this will be made in a nice travel friendly pressed powder form.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by vanillafuzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder did not work for me. It left my skin looking flat, dark, and a bit chalky.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I heard about this product for a while and finally purchased it from ebay to see if it would work as a setting powder for my liquid foundations rather than always using a mineral powder to finish. I really do not see what is so special about it. It is not as yellow as I thought it would be, it is sort of a dark somewhat orange yellow. I was hoping for more of a pastel golden yellow. I suppose it sets the makeup and does what it is supposed to do but it honestly does not do much for complexion, definitely does not neutralize foundations that are too pink, and does soften or make the look more natural. I used both as a setting powder for the entire face and for concealers. The price is quite affordable so I cannot complain but it is not any more special than powders that have been around for ages like the Coty or other loose powders like that.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by alarma

Love it! I read great reviews about this product and that Kim Kardashian's makeup artist uses it on her. Her makeup always looks flawless and under eye area super bright. I am around NC25-30 and use this powder strictly to set my under eye concealer (my routine is Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Brightener, Mac Prolongwear concealer in NW20. After I pat it in with the Beuty Blender so concealer doesn't settle into fine line and creases after some time. The final step is Banana powder.) I was never so please with my under eye area and the longevity of the look, which to me is uber important. I tried so many setting powders: Bare Essentials Well Rested, ELF HD powder, MUFE HD translucent powder, Coty Airspun Powder... This is the best powder with an amazing price! I bought mine on e-bay for $15.00 (8 o.z.). The only complaint I have is the packaging as it is very messy and dispenses 2 much powder which you end up wasting. But that will not sto me. My holy grail product!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I got some based on the great reviews, I got some and although I love yellow based powder this banana one is way too dark yellow for my light skin tone. Secondly I noticed that , I guess it must be the talc but it gave my skin a dull cak-ey look, I didn't like it at all. Luckily I had some Meow Equlibrium powder on hand , I mixed it and my skin appear super fine and pore-less again. I am very picky about powder and this one is not that fine, it didn't refine my pores and the color is way too dark yellow.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

For reference, I have oily, very warm (read: yellow), acne-prone, NC25/30 skin. I use Mac Blot in Medium-Dark (which is the only other powder I have that is a decent comparison to this one). Banana Powder is great for warming up foundation colors, setting fdtns / concealers and also getting rid of shine on my face.

COLOR: This is probably the best selling point of this powder and I agree that it is EXCELLENT for those with warm skin. IT IS VERY YELLOW. I don't recommend for anyone who is cool,neutral or "slightly" warm because it might clash with your skin. This powder does warm up the greyness of Asian BB creams and any other foundations I have that aren't quite warm enough (Revlon Colorstay *cough*), although the effect is subtle, so don't worry about looking like a Simpson.

PACKAGING: The loose version of Banana Powder comes in a clear plastic bottle (there are 2-3 sizes, I believe) with a sifter on top, but it always dumps out too much if you try to shake some out. The cap is annoyingly too small to swirl a brush in. I adapted by using my large Coty Airspun cap as a swirling platform but it's still annoying to use. Definitely taking off a lippie for that.

FINISH: Gives a matte, diffuse, soft finish when brushed over foundations. I haven't used HD powders so I can't compare it to them, but the finish is quite similar to that of Mac Blot powder, only yellower. Most importantly, Banana Powder can keep me matte for around 7 hrs or slightly longer. I get dewy later on during the day but that's not surprising given how oily I am. This is a great (but not perfect) powder for oily skin and setting dewier foundations!

PRICE: Excellent! I got the small bottle for something like $7, and it'll probably last me 1+ years at least. By comparison, MAC Blot is $24 and seems to last between 3-6 months, depending on how much you use it daily.

***EDIT***
Okay after about 3 months of using this daily, I THINK the starch (both rice and corn starch) in this powder is breaking me out. I seem to be in the extreme minority, but I am acne/clog-prone so I'm not too surprised. I'm not changing my rating because I still think this is one of the best powders I've ever tried, but just wanted to give other people warning in case they start breaking out and are not sure why.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2013 8:01:00 PM More reviews by Luvxsweets

I Love highlighting my face and giving it a natural looking glow so I gave into the hype and purchased the product. I bought it from a costume shop in Toronto because it's sooo hard to find. It was quite expensive too, my medium sized container cost me $25! Anyway when I put this on my face I immediately stated itching in the places I applied it. Contrary to popular belief I found it to be quite drying and also chalky looking.
The next day I broke out pretty bad on the spots I applied it, but I spent so much money on it and wanted to continue to test it out. After a week of bad break outs and itchiness I finally gave up and quit using it. My skin is still recovering.
Be warned, the first ingredient is TALC! Which is proven to be very reactive and harmful for certain skin types. I've realized my skin can't tolerate it.
Anyway I gave this a 2 regardless because it wasn't anything special than other brands I've tried. The staying power isn't anything to rave about, it's dry, chalky, and makes makeup run too.
What I do like however was the consistency. It's very fine so you can controll the amount you apply.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 10:15:00 AM More reviews by yankeerose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't hate this product, I just find it mediocre. I'm light/med and have been using this powder for about 3 weeks. The color is fine, but truly don't see what all the hype is about. It sets my foundation/concealor just like any other powder I have used. The price is good, there's alot of product in that little shaker jar. I may repurchase because of price alone but not because its a better than average product.