October 25, 2014 | 1495 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF45

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2009 7:49:00 AM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this on my absurdly sensitive skin after a friend with sensitive skin said it wasn't irritating. The sunscreen went on easily, wasn't greasy on my face (which tends toward dry), didn't cause a problem when I put powder over it, didn't migrate down into my eyes, and the first day it seemed fine. Within three days, however, I had bright red blotches all over my face and my dermatitis went crazy. Into the trash it went.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2009 5:51:00 PM More reviews by bobbictx

So far I like this a lot. After just a few minutes on, it's completely "dry". There's no greasy feel, no white cast - it basically feels like I have nothing on my skin, other than maybe a very small amount of a light moisturizer.

Just started using it, so I don't know if it will break me out or not, most things don't, although I do seem to be prone to clogged pores.

I'll update if there's any change.

Update: after reading about the probability of the ingredients in this SS causing more harm than good, I'm changing my rating from a 5 to a 2. I'd give it a 1, but it's not too greasy or white, so that is okay for now, but I will not be repurchasing any SS with these harmful ingredients anymore.

After reading some of the info on ingredients at cosmeticsdatabase.com, I'm going to try to stick to safer/natural/organic products as much as possible. Scary info there.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2009 1:03:00 AM More reviews by Kyakimochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this sunscreen! I agree with most that it is a bit pricey for a sunscreen, but I only use it on my face, so it's not a problem for me! =)

Living in sunny Hawai'i, you have to have a HG sunscreen with you if you want to preserve your skin's health. I never used to wear any, and because of that, I have splotchy skin on my face (my forehead and cheeks are darker). I only recently started using sun protection on my face (and although I'm concerned about protection, I still like to get my tan on ^_^ SAFELY) and this stuff is great!

1. Smell / Feel - I'm used to the sun tan lotion-y smell (that's all you really smell in the malls next to the beach haha) and it doesn't bother me too much (it has a lighter scent of tunscreen). Also the feeling of this lotion is great! Moisturizing, but it does become dry to the touch after a minute! I use this on my face, (I have an oily complexion) and as it doesn't make my face TOTALLY matte, it finishes my face in a dewy sense. It's great.

2. Price - At $10.99 for 3 fl. oz. it's a little expensive. But I'm only going to be using this on my face, so it should take me just short of forever to use this up ^_^

3. Packaging - The packaging is sleek and nice, nothing more I can really say. I would have preferred a flip cap though.

4. Availability - It's located at any Walgreens or Target or Walmart probably. And also CVS. I think Target is cheapest out of all of them, but it might depend on where you live.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by simplyviki

First, I'd just like to say that I think that it's pretty hard to be objective when reviewing a sunscreen, especially if it's for the face. Some people are very sensitive to certain sunscreen ingredients, and others are not. Some people burn very easily, others do not. Some people hate a little shine, some people don't mind. I guess it's that way with a lot of other products too, but sunscreen in particular strikes me as something you really have to find the one that is good for you personally. So, personally, for me, this one works great. It doesn't burn my skin (others have, including ones meant for the face), it doesn't feel greasy (thank god, I hate that), and it presumably protects my skin from sun damage (I couldn't tell you for sure, as I try to stay out of direct, prolonged sun exposure anyway, and just wear sunscreen for those times when I happen to get some sun anyway). I skip it on weekends, figuring I might as well let my skin produce some vitamin D. So far, so good, and I've been using it daily for several months now. It seems like a small amount you get for the price, but if it's just for your face, it lasts a good long time (I bought it at least three months ago, and no sign of running out anytime soon even with daily use). Good luck if it's for your body, though... if you use the right amount (an ounce for one application), you won't get a dozen uses out of it. I'd use something cheaper for body application if I'm going to the beach or pool or something. But yeah, I'd buy it again, because I love it for my face.
Edit - I recently started using Tazorac, a prescription retinoid. I now experience a burning sensation every time I apply this stuff. So far, I'm just gritting my teeth and bearing it, because I must wear sunscreen while on Tazorac, but I am on the search for one that won't irritate. Just an FYI if you also use a prescription strength retinoid - it didn't have any irritating effect on me while using an OTC retinoid.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by obsessed12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this sunscreen like 3 months ago.
I wear sunscreen on my face and neck even in winter because I am paranoid about like aging skin and whatnot.
I used a different product prior to this one (cant remember the name). Anyways, I think this is a pretty decent product. Not greasy at all, moisturizing (even though I moisturize with my other products prior to applying this sunscreen), and very sheer. I think you can get this in a tinted version, but I just got normal/clear one. I have a Lancome one that I bought recently but havent tried it out yet. Mostly because I forgot about it, but I think I'm going to try out that one soon. I havent used too many face sunblock to compare it to this neutrogena one, but despite it, I can tell it's a good product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by jenja536

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It does what it says. It feels clean, weightless and is absorbed quickly.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2009 8:53:00 PM More reviews by 4fahrenheitxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Holy God this stuff burn like crazy. The minute it touch my face it just stung like a mother. Also caused my face to break out and peel. I never hated a produce so much. Ugh I wish I could give it negative lippies. T_T

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2009 8:57:00 PM More reviews by jthiara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this sunscreen. I have very sensitive skin so I'm always afraid that using sunscreen will break me out. I haven't had any problems with this one, nor does my face feel greasy. This one's a keeper for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2009 9:41:00 PM More reviews by Jolly_C

EDIT: A better, cheaper option is Coppertone's NutraShield SPF 30 with Dual Defense. It sells for $10/ 6 ounces ( vs. Neut. Ultra Sheer SPF 45 @ $10/ 3 ounces), has 90% less odor, feels/ looks less greasy, and has some antioxidants.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I found this to be horrible on my face. It is very greasy: I let it absorb into my skin for 10-20 minutes, and within an hour my face looks like someone sprayed me with cooking spray. Kaolin powder doesn't help, and the cooking spray look comes back half an hour after blotting. I've never used anything that made my face that oily before. To make it worse, the sunscreen--as well as its fumes--stung my eyes so badly it looked like I was crying my eyes out. I'll stay away from [face] products with avobenzone as its primary sunprotecting ingredient. It does have a very strong sunscreen odor so wear it with some type of perfume to mask the smell. On a lighter note, it didn't break me out. Before throwing it away, I'll try to use it on my arms and legs in the summer and give this review an update. For now, not recommended for the face.
UPDATE (5/4/2009): This product performed okay as sunscreen for the rest of my body. The odor was very strong, and the sunscreen began to flake off as muddy-colored grits 2-4 hours after application, which was embarrassing since these flakes gave the appearance of poor hygiene. Coppertone's NutraShield SPF 30 is a much more economical and better performing sunscreen. I will not purchase this item again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by ygvo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you want a sunscreen just for no makeup days, this one is good. My major complaint is the pilling! The product rolls into little balls and pills off my face, no matter how long I wait for it to absorb and no matter how much i vary the amount i use. Usually, I just combine it with my light olay sunscreen to avoid this.