Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

3.4

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil

on 4/3/2010 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

My mom gave me this and I love it! If you have dry skin and hate the tight feeling after washing your face, you will love this. I have to slather on loads of cream immediately after I wash my face but with this, you feel more moisturized after. It smells great and just feels so good. It almost dissolves into your skin before you wash it off. I would imagine people with oily/acne prone skin would not like the oily feeling of this, but for dry skin it's amazing!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is one of my favorite cleansers. It smells exactly like oranges, and if you look on the ingredients, you could even eat it. Not that you'd want to....but you could. haha
To use it, I wash and dry my hands, and then I rub it into my skin for about a minute and I rinse off with warm water.
I like it because I have dry combo skin, and it doesn't make my face feel really tight afterwards. My face feels clean, yet not completely dried out. I'd suggest this to anyone with dry/combo skin.

on 3/19/2010 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Feels and smells like cleansing with jam. I find it works best if I let it sit and spend extra time massaging it over my skin. It allows the oils and fruit enzymes to really melt away any makeup and sunscreen. I remove the product with a moistened cotton pad before rinsing, otherwise I'm left with too much hydration from the oils. For combination to oily skintypes or those who like more of a squeaky clean feel, I'd recommend following up with an astringent/toner as well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Let me start by saying I have uber sensitive skin, most products give me either contact dermatitis or some other rash type erruption that looks like tiny clear blisters under the skin in tight little formations that burst and leave scaley dry patches (nice, I know). Most moisturizers burn like fire when applied or give the above mentioned effects.
All that being said, I was using Kirks Castile Soap to wash my face at this point, but this winter, having to change my moisturizer due to it being discontinued etc, etc, the soap was now too drying for my skin, that is already uber dry. I had used this once or twice in the past, and really didn't understand it. Now I am back to it, I am quite happy with it.
I use it on a cellulose sponge at the end of the shower when all my makeup has had a chance to soften up. I apply it in a circular motion and then swipe over each eye and then under each eye, all with eyes tightly shut! Then a rub my hands over my eyelashes and face under the water and try and get all the excess off. Once the shower is done I apply straight witch hazel toner and Physicians Formula Creams.
I have had no issues with rashes or reactions. This is not a traditional foaming cleanser that leaves a sqeaky feeling. I don't think I would recommend it for really oily skin because so many with oily skin like that drier after feeling. I have read that orange oil it very gentle and has mild antiseptic properties.
Skincare is a person by person thing, what works for me, or what I like might not work for you or be what you like. If you have the issues I have with finding stuff that doesn't irritate the skin, is readily available, reasonably priced, and performs reasonably well, you stick with it until the discontinue it out from under you.
EDIT: I took off one lippie mostly because I can't use this every day, my skin needs a day or so in between. The pleasant oil it leaves behind is great, but needs to be broken through every few days and then I am fine, no build up. It isn't a perfect product, I don't think a perfect, non-drying cleanser exists. I am not looking for one to replace the need for moisturizer, I am just hoping to find something that doesn't make me feel like my skin is trying to pull off of my skull :)

I use this in the mornings. It's got a great wake-up-face-the-day smell (I have this thing with oranges.. my toner is orange-scented too, and I eat Cutie clementines like there's no tomorrow!), and it gently clears my face of overnight gunk without stripping it down. That being said, my skin DOES need something a little stronger, which is why I use L'Oreal Skin Genesis Gel Cleanser at night, It's a good balance, and my skin is happy. It can take a bit to get used to the consistency, but it's very pleasant. I took advice from another reviewer, and the other night I just rubbed it in circles around my face while watching an episode of "The Office," and said reviewer was right, this really pulls out gunk if you give it enough time! (But I don't have 30 minutes to spare in the morning.) I give it a 4 simply because yes, it really works, but it takes time, time I don't usually have. However I would buy it again!

PS- Like many of you, this product "accidentally" landed on my tongue... and yeah, it actually tasted really good... hahaha.

on 2/11/2010 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is not good. Thankfully I bought it in the US where it is not that expensive, around 8 bucks, apparentely in the UK it is like 12 pounds which is totally not worth for what it is. OK pros and cons:

+ smells nice and uplifting, makes skin soft

- STINGS your eyes when you remove make up, doesnt remove your make up that well. Even non waterproof mascara is not that easy to remove with it.

Definetely not repurchasing!

on 2/10/2010 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I am surprised by the general low reviews on this product. I think this may be due to people expecting a different result from it than what it is meant to do. This is NOT a good produt if you have acne-prone skin- it may dry it out, or (more likely) do nothing. This is for people with fairly normal-ish skin. I have dry skin, and I have been happily using this product for years now. It smells great, and is very simple, and just leaves my skin feeling refreshed, and washed. It does not feel like you are using harsh chemicals on your skin (because you aren't), which is great. Some people do not like the consistency, so make sure you are okay with putting a product on your face that feels a bit sticky, and does not "foam" up like many facial cleansers. This does not bother me, as the product rinses off and does not leave residue. The tube is also reasonably priced and lasts a fairly long time. Totally recommended.

on 2/6/2010 12:53:00 AM

This cleanser is good for dry skin...and for someone post accutane like myself...is dry! I am not chapped but just run dry...I would recommend using a cleansing cloth to swipe off your makeup and then cleanse with this. It's very high in oils...but it is really soothing for dry skin.

on 1/25/2010 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This doesn't clean very good but if your face is chapped from using too many acne products this is where this stuff shines. Not great for everyday though. If you over dosed on BP this stuff is for you.

on 1/23/2010 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to like this stuff because it smells soooooo good. It smells so good that I'm ashamed to admit that I licked it, and it also tasted really good. Yes, I am a weirdo. Anyway, what makes me not wanna buy this stuff again is the fact that it feels so weird. It really feels like you're smearing vaseline all over your face, and that scares me since I have acne prone skin if I'm not really careful. I also think it doesn't cleanse so well. I gave this 3 lippies regardless because it's all natural and might be good for people who don't wear much foundation and have dry skin. This stuff just isn't for me. I ended up using it as a really expensive (and tasty) shaving cream.