Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment

4.7

Active Ingredients: Petrolatum (41%) (Skin Protectant [Ointment]) Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol

on 9/5/2013 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Just a heads up: I'm talking about Aquaphor as a face moisturizer, for the most part. On with the review.

I often hear people who happen to be more skin-savvy than I am point out that this, and Vaseline, are primarily occlusives (meaning they protect the skin from transepidermal water loss: naturally releasing the skins moisture) and do not do much to moisturize the skin besides that. And yes, that's true. They keep your skin's natural moisture in, and that's it, but that's still moisturizing, though: it prevents a naturally occurring process that makes your skin lose moisture while still allowing your skin to breathe. It gives your skin moisture that it wouldn't have otherwise, even if it is just your own body's water. I have also heard people say that occlusives such as this one, and Vaseline, are best used over another moisturizer and do not have enough moisturizing power to be used on their own. And that, I vehemently disagree with.

Look at the ingredients in this product: petrolatum, mineral oil, glycerin. These are all extremely common moisturizer ingredients, often listed early in the ingredient list, and the reason why is because occlusives of this nature are one of the best things you can put on your skin to prevent water and moisture loss. You can keep your skin fresh, young, and healthy with this science alone. No buzzwords like "7-in-1" or "green tea extract" or whatever. Just simple, no nonsense stuff.

I smear a small dab of this all over my face before bed. Sometimes I'll mix a drop or two of sweet almond oil, but that's it. After trying tons of products that all broke me out (I'm allergic to dimethicone and other silicone derivatives, and believe me, they're in EVERYTHING) I picked this out of my drawer, shrugged, and thought it wouldn't be too different from using Vaseline as my greasy nighttime face moisturizer. It is honestly not that different from Vaseline, but I have noticed that my acne scars fade much more quickly with this product as opposed to Vaseline. My skin is softer, smoother, and glowy. It's just really nice and I'm happy with it. I am 25 now and I can honestly say that my skin is in better condition with regular skincare (and SUNSCREEN) than it was when I was sixteen.

I do have to point out that this product contains lanolin alcohol, though. It is not a drying alcohol, but it is comedogenic for some, so I suggest caution because as it is with all products, YMMV. It has not broken me out at all.

I also use this on my hands and on my feet (with socks) overnight when they are in need of a moisture boost. Flaky dry skin don't stand a chance, not even in winter.

It's pricey for how common and boring it appears, but it does the job, and I will use this and Vaseline for a long, long time.

I love Aquafor Healing Ointment and use it as a night cream alternating between it and my retinol cream. It's cheap and very thick but it is greasy.

on 8/24/2013 1:50:00 AM

I bought this to keep my new tattoo moisturized. It makes your tattoo heal perfectly and beautiful. Since Ive been using this none of my tattoos scabbed or itched at all. I'm very impressed. Sometimes I'll put a little on my hands in the winter months when they get super dry and itchy and it works almost immediately. I HIGHLY recommend this for new tattoos!!

on 8/18/2013 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I love Aquaphor!!! I only use it for my lips even though it has plenty of uses. I always come back to this after trying something new and finding out nothing is as good as this. My lips are nice and smooth after application. And it lasts for a couple hours before needing another application, which if you ask me, is the norm for any lip product. There is no such thing as a lip balm/Chapstick/salve that's gonna last for hours upon hours. But this works for me. It will always be my number one. Number 2 might be Rosebud salve or the Palmers Cocoa Butter Swivel stick.

on 8/12/2013 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product has been my best friend for a few months now ever since I started a fairly big tattoo on my back. It really helps with the healing process. I bought the jar the first time but now have the tube because it's much more sanitary.

on 8/6/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This saved my face from scarring when I had a removal on my nose at the dermatologist. This is better to use after removals than Neosporin which can apparently irritate your skin if used repeatedly. I used this throughout the day since dry skin promotes scarring and it worked beautiful. I have extremely sensitive skin and I trust it enough to use on a baby. I would give this 100 lippies if I could.

on 7/30/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

BEST EVER FOR LIPS. I WILL USE NOTHING ELSE

on 7/30/2013 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It did nothing for me. I read rave reviews about it and thought for my dry skin prone to eczema it may be my miracle cream. It is thick and greasy and sits on my legs in a messy layer. Worse, it didn't hydrate or help the dryness in anyway at all even after a whole tube. I am so disappointed.

on 7/15/2013 10:00:00 PM

PROS:
- Turns dry, peeling lips into smooth, hydrated lips
- Softens cuticles and calluses
- Makes a great undereye cream
- Prevents scarring when applied to healing breakouts
- Performs all of the above quickly, effectively, and for dirt cheap

CONS:
- Greasy, takes a long time to sink in (my husband complains)
- Can clog pores
- Not the most glamorous product or packaging

BOTTOM LINE:
This daily staple outperforms a variety of pricier one-trick ponies. Quadruple HG.

on 7/7/2013 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is amazing, I have had very severe lip problems for years. Severe problems. This sped up the healing time of my broken lips to two nights! This is a staple product for me for sure.