April 18, 2014 | 1932 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Albolene has saved my skin! I'm experiencing my second winter in the mountains of Idaho (after Portland of all places) and my second has been even worse than my first. My skin has been so dry that it feels like someone pulled layers off of it. I was slathering on moisturizer several times a day and when face cream wasn't available, even slathering on aquaphor (!) and hand cream. I'd read a dermatologist raving about Albolene in Allure Magazine years ago but to me it always looked about as appealing as spreading Crisco on my face. However, since both cleansing oil and Cetaphil were leaving my skin feeling dry and overworked, I thought I'd give Albolene a go. I massage it onto my skin in the mornings (including my eyelid and lashes) and then soak a face towel in water as hot as I can make it and place the towel on my face for a little steam. After things have cooled down, I use the towel to wipe excess of my face and a cotton ball dipped in Almay's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover on my eyelid. Now I can actually skip moisturizer sometimes! And the constant itchy, irritated eyes I've had all winter have calmed down, too. (I can stop using expensive eye drops - yay!) I don't know how this works on eye makeup because I haven't been able to wear any makeup at all but as a winter cleanser and skin protectant, I'm sold. I can't BELIEVE it hasn't broken me out AT ALL! My skin just feels soothed and sort of plumped. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just started using this so I'm not sure yet whether I'll be in love with it or not. So far it's a decent product.
I always thought greasy products like this would break out my skin, but it doesn't. I also thought mineral oil was supposed to be bad for skin, but I no longer think that. I think it just depends on each individual person. Thankfully for me this product poses no problem.
In fact, it helps. This winter weather is killing my face. A few years ago my unbelievably oil-slick skin & acne disappeared (after 34 years, FINALLY!). Age creeping up on me, my skin is getting drier & drier. My usual foaming cleansers & night creams no longer cut it in this weather. I don't wear much makeup anymore, so what I do (so far) is wash my face w/my regular foaming cleanser (so I can use it all up) & then apply a couple of small dabs of Albolene to my wet face & neck to seal in moisture. Then I pat dry with a towel. This is my evening routine. I can apply my other cream after that but I find that my skin is feeling better without anything extra. I still use my glycolic acid lotion twice a week to exfoliate as I tend to build up thick crusty skin if I don't. In the morning my cheeks are soft.
Without the positive reviews I read on this product I'm sure I would never have given this a try. I really needed something desperately & I'm glad it's working. :D I did not want to use oil on my face & I like the ease of using this unique product.
The ingredients look a little scary but this is really a pleasure to use.
Of course on days when I'm wearing full-face makeup, I will use this to remove it all. I just haven't done it yet.
I love how gentle & soft it feels on the skin. It looks like solid translucent wax in the tub but melts on contact. I rub a small amount in my hands before applying to my sensitive face. I love that it's colorless & odorless, which gives me the idea of clean on my face. My skin feels light & moisturized, not coated or waxy or greasy. No more post-cleansing tightness & no more stinging irritation & itching from this horrible dry frigid winter air. This is nice stuff. After using it for a while longer I may adjust my rating. I think I just need to give it more time (started yesterday, so it may be premature to say it doesn't clog my pores...but I doubt it will). I like that the jar is pretty huge... I know this one will last me a loooong time. Only $11 at Duane Reade. Thank goodness it wasn't impossible to find (in the skincare/cleanser aisle).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 9:18:00 AM More reviews by pauley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love Love Love this stuff is great my mother, used this I use to think
it was so gross it is the best stuff my mother had great skin and I do but it will be better now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by cejohnson28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 57 years old and started using Albolene to cleanse my face and neck about 3 months ago. This is now the only product I will use to clean my face. My routine is to apply Albolene to my face and neck and rub in well. I then use a warm, very wet washcloth and wipe away the excess then pat dry. I use RoC Intensive Wrinkle Night Cream in the morning instead of the evening, then a Walmart knockoff of Olay Serum on the face and the .99 cent Nivea cream on my neck.
At night I just clean my face with Albolene, apply Nivea to my neck and that's it. My skin looks better than it has in years. Albolene has caused no breakouts or irritation. Cetaphil was too harsh for my skin and would sting and burn when applied. Albolene is such a neutral base that there is no irritation.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's only taken me 40 years to figure out that the way to deal with my oily, breakout prone skin is *not* to bombard it with harsh, drying products that strip every bit of moisture from it. I've been using Dove pretty much exclusively since my son's doctor recommended it for his sensitive skin and eczema. But lately, (maybe due to the unusually harsh Georgia winter) I've been feeling that even that is too drying.

And, to be honest, it irritates me that washing my face with soap and water makes such a mess in my sink and mirror. I don't think there's any way not to get soap and water everywhere.

So I've been researching cleansers, oils, and cleansing cloths and trying to come up with a solution.

For a while, I was using baby oil, and it did a really great job of removing even my most stubborn make-up. But it was messy and difficult to control the amount that went on my face, which is why I opted against other oil options such as olive oil and mineral oil.

Also, it tended to get in my eyes regardless of how careful I was, which caused a lot of stinging due to the fragrance, which also caused my skin to sting a bit. I did like the way it made my skin feel though, and I was amazed to find that my oiliness seemed better.

Based on reviews here, I decided to try Albolene, and...let's not beat around the bush...I loved it.

It gave me the same amazing make-up removal qualities as the baby oil, (it removed every trace of make-up, even stubborn waterproof formulations) but it was SO much easier to apply and so much less messy. Yes, it is the consistency of Vaseline. But that's what I wanted to avoid the mess of a liquid oil. I liked it a lot. There is no fragrance to irritate my skin, it wiped off easily with CVS pre-moistened cleansing cloths and left no residue behind.

I loved the way my skin felt after using it. Soft and hydrated, but not oily. And I could scarcely believe it in the morning...my face was not an oil slick. After two weeks, I've suffered no break outs from this, but will update if that occurs.

Also...if any gets on my hands, I just rub it in and get soft, velvety skin.

This is a keeper. Those gals in the thirties and forties knew what they were doing not using soap and water. Why did we stray from a tried and true process?

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by purpleflower9203

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've only used this during the winter, when my skin's been dry and this has gotten rid of the flakiness and left my skin soft. You are not supposed to wash this stuff off.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2009 10:43:00 AM More reviews by Ryleen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this as a makeup remover. I use it in conjunction with Dove's Beauty Bar and like that routine. However, I have very uber oily skin and when I have used Albolene alone, I don't feel like it cleans my skin very well. It is an excellent makeup remover though. I like it because I don't have to rub it hard into my skin like I do with liquid makeup removers. I just put it on and maybe massage it into my lashes for mascara removal, but aside from that, it's easy! Will repurchase, for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by heidipena

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

This looks like vaseline and I'm not crazy about the ingredients (I don't like mineral oil on my face) but it does a very good job removing makeup. I rub a bit on my dry face at night and rub off with a wet hot washcloth. I rinse the cloth and wipe my face once more. I don't need to follow with a cleanser after. The packaging is kind of ugly but it's inexpensive, so whatever. The only thing I really don't like is it gets in my eyes so after I wash every night I have blurred vision for fifteen minutes or so. Annoying. But it does remove makeup and doesn't make me break out.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2009 12:53:00 PM More reviews by roughlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I loved the way my skin felt after using Albolene. I really wanted it to work for me. But every time I used it I developed irritation bumps. I tried just using it to remove my eye makeup and my eyes would get extremely irritated. I think I must be reacting to the mineral oil as I remember getting some irritation when I tried to use straight baby oil.
Wish it would have worked as it is economical and hydrating.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2009 2:45:00 PM More reviews by TG83

I have really dry skin and eczema. Sexy huh? Anyway I use this morning and night and it has really helped. I don't use a lot of makeup so I don't have to worry about that. I was using ponds but the smell was horrid. This has no scent at all. But you will have to use a warm wash cloth to get it off. You cannot just splash your face with water. You can tissue it off as well but I like to use the wash cloth. It is a huge tub and will last a long time.