October 25, 2014 | 967 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by WakeMySoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

One word for this: vaseline.

I thought this would be some wonderfully milky cream similar to a cold cream etc. that would very gently cleanse my makeup off but it's no such thing... instead it is just vaseline (petroleum jelly, w/e you want to call it) with a little mineral oil thrown in, I knew what the ingredients were but still somehow convinced myself it would be the cream dreamy makeup-remover and it's not. Petroleum jelly doesn't work for me, exp. not for gentle, quick and easy makeup remover, and honestly this stuff made me dryer than I am and didn't even do a very effective job getting my makeup off to the extent that I had to get out my bottle of EVVO to get the rest off. So- in short, if you like vaseline and have found it has good results and plays nice w/ your skin as far as makeup-removal goes, then I would suggest this. For those who are NOT into smearing vaseline all over your face, skip this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a new oil-based make up remover cause my grapeseed oil precleanse was getting pretty drying..i ended up buying a whole thing of this for about ten dollars because of all the great reviews...its very thick and almost feels like you're spreading vaseline all over your face...i would use it dryly and then wipe off with a tissue before cleansing with my cleanser...its kind of difficult to do that though because this stuff is so THICK and honestly i'd freak out from leaving it on too long b/c i felt like it would stick to my pores! i used this about 5 or 6 times and noticed my skin was actually getting even drier and flaky since using it, so i have since switched to Pond's Cold Cream, and I LOVE IT! It's creamy, and moisturizing, and fun to use, and its much easier to tissue off, and even more effective at removing makeup....it makes my skin feel more healed too, which this didnt...so yeah, try ponds! perhaps albolene is better in the more humid oily summer months rather than the end of winter..

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 10:10:00 AM More reviews by MJDav1s

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! It cleans the makeup off very well even the waterproof stuff, and it leaves my skin feeling very soft. Plus it is inexpensive, found at most drug stores so it is easy to buy. I like it much better than cold cream because cold cream is hard to wash off. Albolene comes off easily and leaves the skin so soft. Easy fragrance too. I will buy this one over and over.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by brnidgrl70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another oily-skinned reviewer surprised to be happily putting this stuff on my face. I've had oily skin & acne for 25 years. I decided to give this a shot after reading reviews. I currently use tazorac so I occasionally have flakies on top oiliness. This has helped both. I alternate nights between Albolene on its own, wiped off with a wet baby washcloth, and adding in washing after Albolene with Dove using my Clarisonic brush. Its working surprisingly well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Albolene has saved my skin! I'm experiencing my second winter in the mountains of Idaho (after Portland of all places) and my second has been even worse than my first. My skin has been so dry that it feels like someone pulled layers off of it. I was slathering on moisturizer several times a day and when face cream wasn't available, even slathering on aquaphor (!) and hand cream. I'd read a dermatologist raving about Albolene in Allure Magazine years ago but to me it always looked about as appealing as spreading Crisco on my face. However, since both cleansing oil and Cetaphil were leaving my skin feeling dry and overworked, I thought I'd give Albolene a go. I massage it onto my skin in the mornings (including my eyelid and lashes) and then soak a face towel in water as hot as I can make it and place the towel on my face for a little steam. After things have cooled down, I use the towel to wipe excess of my face and a cotton ball dipped in Almay's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover on my eyelid. Now I can actually skip moisturizer sometimes! And the constant itchy, irritated eyes I've had all winter have calmed down, too. (I can stop using expensive eye drops - yay!) I don't know how this works on eye makeup because I haven't been able to wear any makeup at all but as a winter cleanser and skin protectant, I'm sold. I can't BELIEVE it hasn't broken me out AT ALL! My skin just feels soothed and sort of plumped. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just started using this so I'm not sure yet whether I'll be in love with it or not. So far it's a decent product.
I always thought greasy products like this would break out my skin, but it doesn't. I also thought mineral oil was supposed to be bad for skin, but I no longer think that. I think it just depends on each individual person. Thankfully for me this product poses no problem.
In fact, it helps. This winter weather is killing my face. A few years ago my unbelievably oil-slick skin & acne disappeared (after 34 years, FINALLY!). Age creeping up on me, my skin is getting drier & drier. My usual foaming cleansers & night creams no longer cut it in this weather. I don't wear much makeup anymore, so what I do (so far) is wash my face w/my regular foaming cleanser (so I can use it all up) & then apply a couple of small dabs of Albolene to my wet face & neck to seal in moisture. Then I pat dry with a towel. This is my evening routine. I can apply my other cream after that but I find that my skin is feeling better without anything extra. I still use my glycolic acid lotion twice a week to exfoliate as I tend to build up thick crusty skin if I don't. In the morning my cheeks are soft.
Without the positive reviews I read on this product I'm sure I would never have given this a try. I really needed something desperately & I'm glad it's working. :D I did not want to use oil on my face & I like the ease of using this unique product.
The ingredients look a little scary but this is really a pleasure to use.
Of course on days when I'm wearing full-face makeup, I will use this to remove it all. I just haven't done it yet.
I love how gentle & soft it feels on the skin. It looks like solid translucent wax in the tub but melts on contact. I rub a small amount in my hands before applying to my sensitive face. I love that it's colorless & odorless, which gives me the idea of clean on my face. My skin feels light & moisturized, not coated or waxy or greasy. No more post-cleansing tightness & no more stinging irritation & itching from this horrible dry frigid winter air. This is nice stuff. After using it for a while longer I may adjust my rating. I think I just need to give it more time (started yesterday, so it may be premature to say it doesn't clog my pores...but I doubt it will). I like that the jar is pretty huge... I know this one will last me a loooong time. Only $11 at Duane Reade. Thank goodness it wasn't impossible to find (in the skincare/cleanser aisle).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 9:18:00 AM More reviews by pauley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love Love Love this stuff is great my mother, used this I use to think
it was so gross it is the best stuff my mother had great skin and I do but it will be better now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by cejohnson28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 57 years old and started using Albolene to cleanse my face and neck about 3 months ago. This is now the only product I will use to clean my face. My routine is to apply Albolene to my face and neck and rub in well. I then use a warm, very wet washcloth and wipe away the excess then pat dry. I use RoC Intensive Wrinkle Night Cream in the morning instead of the evening, then a Walmart knockoff of Olay Serum on the face and the .99 cent Nivea cream on my neck.
At night I just clean my face with Albolene, apply Nivea to my neck and that's it. My skin looks better than it has in years. Albolene has caused no breakouts or irritation. Cetaphil was too harsh for my skin and would sting and burn when applied. Albolene is such a neutral base that there is no irritation.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's only taken me 40 years to figure out that the way to deal with my oily, breakout prone skin is *not* to bombard it with harsh, drying products that strip every bit of moisture from it. I've been using Dove pretty much exclusively since my son's doctor recommended it for his sensitive skin and eczema. But lately, (maybe due to the unusually harsh Georgia winter) I've been feeling that even that is too drying.

And, to be honest, it irritates me that washing my face with soap and water makes such a mess in my sink and mirror. I don't think there's any way not to get soap and water everywhere.

So I've been researching cleansers, oils, and cleansing cloths and trying to come up with a solution.

For a while, I was using baby oil, and it did a really great job of removing even my most stubborn make-up. But it was messy and difficult to control the amount that went on my face, which is why I opted against other oil options such as olive oil and mineral oil.

Also, it tended to get in my eyes regardless of how careful I was, which caused a lot of stinging due to the fragrance, which also caused my skin to sting a bit. I did like the way it made my skin feel though, and I was amazed to find that my oiliness seemed better.

Based on reviews here, I decided to try Albolene, and...let's not beat around the bush...I loved it.

It gave me the same amazing make-up removal qualities as the baby oil, (it removed every trace of make-up, even stubborn waterproof formulations) but it was SO much easier to apply and so much less messy. Yes, it is the consistency of Vaseline. But that's what I wanted to avoid the mess of a liquid oil. I liked it a lot. There is no fragrance to irritate my skin, it wiped off easily with CVS pre-moistened cleansing cloths and left no residue behind.

I loved the way my skin felt after using it. Soft and hydrated, but not oily. And I could scarcely believe it in the morning...my face was not an oil slick. After two weeks, I've suffered no break outs from this, but will update if that occurs.

Also...if any gets on my hands, I just rub it in and get soft, velvety skin.

This is a keeper. Those gals in the thirties and forties knew what they were doing not using soap and water. Why did we stray from a tried and true process?

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by purpleflower9203

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've only used this during the winter, when my skin's been dry and this has gotten rid of the flakiness and left my skin soft. You are not supposed to wash this stuff off.