November 26, 2014 | 994 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by piccolamandorla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've tried lots of oil based makeup removers; DHC, Babor, Shu Uemura, MAC, etc. and I have to say that Albolene is the easiest to use, the easiest to remove, the most thorough and since it's mostly solid until it liquifies on your skin, the safest to travel with.

I have skin that is fairly greasy on top and dry underneath and wear makeup every day. My evening routine with Albolene is to put my hair back, take a dime sized blob of Albolene from the unattractive jar and smooth it over my face and eyes, place a washcloth under the hot tap, wave it out so its not too hot, put it over my face and press it in for a few seconds, and then wipe away the excess. You will be amazed at how well this works! It removes makeup, even mascara, completely and leaves your skin clean and soft and your lashes and brows shiny and moisturized. My lashes have definitely improved since I've started using Albolene because I'm not constantly tugging my mascara (and lashes) off!

You can also tissue the cleanser off, but I wouldn't reccomend it unless you have severely dry skin.

Unlike wipes, it doesn't require a lot of rubbing and pulling to remove makeup, it just slides right off with a warm, wet washcloth and leaves behind clean, soft skin.

You can even use it to exfoliate. I sometimes add baking soda to it or even a packet of sugar when I'm travelling to make a smoothing scrub before makeup.

A $10 tub should last a good six months with everyday use. It will devastate your washcloths though! I reccomend buying some cheap white washcloths from Target or Walmart...the amount of makeup that gets on them is staggering!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I like balm type cleansers which allow me to massage away my makeup and hopefully massage the cares of the day away as well.

This is not easy to come by in the UK, but I managed to track it down, and it is OK, not great, but OK.

Good points for me are that it doesn't have much of a smell - faint petrochemical but that is it. It removes all makeup with a couple of applications. I can use it around my eyes with minimal irritation. It is very softening.

Not so good for me is that the consistency is too thin, it really is like rubbing lard or vaseline into the skin, I have to concentrate when I massage this in as I slip and slide all over my face and into my hairline and up my nose and that is not conducive to relaxation at all!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by WakeMySoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

One word for this: vaseline.

I thought this would be some wonderfully milky cream similar to a cold cream etc. that would very gently cleanse my makeup off but it's no such thing... instead it is just vaseline (petroleum jelly, w/e you want to call it) with a little mineral oil thrown in, I knew what the ingredients were but still somehow convinced myself it would be the cream dreamy makeup-remover and it's not. Petroleum jelly doesn't work for me, exp. not for gentle, quick and easy makeup remover, and honestly this stuff made me dryer than I am and didn't even do a very effective job getting my makeup off to the extent that I had to get out my bottle of EVVO to get the rest off. So- in short, if you like vaseline and have found it has good results and plays nice w/ your skin as far as makeup-removal goes, then I would suggest this. For those who are NOT into smearing vaseline all over your face, skip this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was looking for a new oil-based make up remover cause my grapeseed oil precleanse was getting pretty drying..i ended up buying a whole thing of this for about ten dollars because of all the great reviews...its very thick and almost feels like you're spreading vaseline all over your face...i would use it dryly and then wipe off with a tissue before cleansing with my cleanser...its kind of difficult to do that though because this stuff is so THICK and honestly i'd freak out from leaving it on too long b/c i felt like it would stick to my pores! i used this about 5 or 6 times and noticed my skin was actually getting even drier and flaky since using it, so i have since switched to Pond's Cold Cream, and I LOVE IT! It's creamy, and moisturizing, and fun to use, and its much easier to tissue off, and even more effective at removing makeup....it makes my skin feel more healed too, which this didnt...so yeah, try ponds! perhaps albolene is better in the more humid oily summer months rather than the end of winter..

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 10:10:00 AM More reviews by MJDav1s

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! It cleans the makeup off very well even the waterproof stuff, and it leaves my skin feeling very soft. Plus it is inexpensive, found at most drug stores so it is easy to buy. I like it much better than cold cream because cold cream is hard to wash off. Albolene comes off easily and leaves the skin so soft. Easy fragrance too. I will buy this one over and over.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by brnidgrl70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another oily-skinned reviewer surprised to be happily putting this stuff on my face. I've had oily skin & acne for 25 years. I decided to give this a shot after reading reviews. I currently use tazorac so I occasionally have flakies on top oiliness. This has helped both. I alternate nights between Albolene on its own, wiped off with a wet baby washcloth, and adding in washing after Albolene with Dove using my Clarisonic brush. Its working surprisingly well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Albolene has saved my skin! I'm experiencing my second winter in the mountains of Idaho (after Portland of all places) and my second has been even worse than my first. My skin has been so dry that it feels like someone pulled layers off of it. I was slathering on moisturizer several times a day and when face cream wasn't available, even slathering on aquaphor (!) and hand cream. I'd read a dermatologist raving about Albolene in Allure Magazine years ago but to me it always looked about as appealing as spreading Crisco on my face. However, since both cleansing oil and Cetaphil were leaving my skin feeling dry and overworked, I thought I'd give Albolene a go. I massage it onto my skin in the mornings (including my eyelid and lashes) and then soak a face towel in water as hot as I can make it and place the towel on my face for a little steam. After things have cooled down, I use the towel to wipe excess of my face and a cotton ball dipped in Almay's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover on my eyelid. Now I can actually skip moisturizer sometimes! And the constant itchy, irritated eyes I've had all winter have calmed down, too. (I can stop using expensive eye drops - yay!) I don't know how this works on eye makeup because I haven't been able to wear any makeup at all but as a winter cleanser and skin protectant, I'm sold. I can't BELIEVE it hasn't broken me out AT ALL! My skin just feels soothed and sort of plumped. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just started using this so I'm not sure yet whether I'll be in love with it or not. So far it's a decent product.
I always thought greasy products like this would break out my skin, but it doesn't. I also thought mineral oil was supposed to be bad for skin, but I no longer think that. I think it just depends on each individual person. Thankfully for me this product poses no problem.
In fact, it helps. This winter weather is killing my face. A few years ago my unbelievably oil-slick skin & acne disappeared (after 34 years, FINALLY!). Age creeping up on me, my skin is getting drier & drier. My usual foaming cleansers & night creams no longer cut it in this weather. I don't wear much makeup anymore, so what I do (so far) is wash my face w/my regular foaming cleanser (so I can use it all up) & then apply a couple of small dabs of Albolene to my wet face & neck to seal in moisture. Then I pat dry with a towel. This is my evening routine. I can apply my other cream after that but I find that my skin is feeling better without anything extra. I still use my glycolic acid lotion twice a week to exfoliate as I tend to build up thick crusty skin if I don't. In the morning my cheeks are soft.
Without the positive reviews I read on this product I'm sure I would never have given this a try. I really needed something desperately & I'm glad it's working. :D I did not want to use oil on my face & I like the ease of using this unique product.
The ingredients look a little scary but this is really a pleasure to use.
Of course on days when I'm wearing full-face makeup, I will use this to remove it all. I just haven't done it yet.
I love how gentle & soft it feels on the skin. It looks like solid translucent wax in the tub but melts on contact. I rub a small amount in my hands before applying to my sensitive face. I love that it's colorless & odorless, which gives me the idea of clean on my face. My skin feels light & moisturized, not coated or waxy or greasy. No more post-cleansing tightness & no more stinging irritation & itching from this horrible dry frigid winter air. This is nice stuff. After using it for a while longer I may adjust my rating. I think I just need to give it more time (started yesterday, so it may be premature to say it doesn't clog my pores...but I doubt it will). I like that the jar is pretty huge... I know this one will last me a loooong time. Only $11 at Duane Reade. Thank goodness it wasn't impossible to find (in the skincare/cleanser aisle).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 9:18:00 AM More reviews by pauley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love Love Love this stuff is great my mother, used this I use to think
it was so gross it is the best stuff my mother had great skin and I do but it will be better now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by cejohnson28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 57 years old and started using Albolene to cleanse my face and neck about 3 months ago. This is now the only product I will use to clean my face. My routine is to apply Albolene to my face and neck and rub in well. I then use a warm, very wet washcloth and wipe away the excess then pat dry. I use RoC Intensive Wrinkle Night Cream in the morning instead of the evening, then a Walmart knockoff of Olay Serum on the face and the .99 cent Nivea cream on my neck.
At night I just clean my face with Albolene, apply Nivea to my neck and that's it. My skin looks better than it has in years. Albolene has caused no breakouts or irritation. Cetaphil was too harsh for my skin and would sting and burn when applied. Albolene is such a neutral base that there is no irritation.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No