Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2

2.9

2011 Reformulation: Water, Alcohol Denat., Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Menthol, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Red 6, Red 33, Violet 2

on 2/27/2012 11:28:00 AM

After reading the reviews on here, I assumed that the people who didn't get on with this were using it wrong etc. I went and got a sample from my local boots to try it out for myself.

I had the full consultation and was recommended number 2, which is what I thought I needed too. I went on to use it as directed, and I honestly really liked it to start with. I enjoyed the slight tingly sensation, and it was probably all in my head but my skin seemed to feel smoother.

After about a week of using it and getting on well with it, I started to notice that I was 5pm oily at only 11am ... Usually I blot and powder at about 3pm at work and that takes me through to the evening. But all of a sudden by 11-12 my makeup was running down my face.

I didn't think using the exfoliant would do this as it claims to reduce oiliness, and I had just switched cleanser so I thought it could be that. So I put everything back to my usual routine apart from this and, long story short, it was this that was making my skin oily.

I suppose it was stripping my skin of oils to the point where my skin started over-producing. If, like me, you have normal-combo skin and no real complaints, I wouldn't try this. It has such mixed reviews that IMO it's not worth the gamble. My skin is pretty robust and not sensitive either, so I was shocked to see how this one thing could affect me so much.

I stick to an alcohol free toner now (Lancome Tonique Douceur) and love it. I'll never delve into the world of the Clinique 3-step system again. (The facial soap was just awful too - it felt like nearly-set jelly on my face, smelt bad, didn't clean my skin and just felt nasty)

I have never written a review before on makeupalley, but than the clinique toner came a cross and I really felt like telling what I thought about it. I absolutly Hated it! Clinique is for a sensitive skin. ehhh I don't think so, it made my skin dry like hell and it actually hurt my skin so bad. I got a horrible allergic reaction to it. And i have used it like I was told to do it. I really felt very bad about this product, it is very expensive( i come from Holland and the prices are way higher than in the US.) and it promised me gentle products who will give me a good skin. I have never ever used something that made me react to it like clinique did and never used something that was so agressive. Overal I'm really dissapointed about this product and I do not believe that clinique is a great brand anymore. I will never purcase this again.

on 1/29/2012 2:47:00 PM

I used the Clarifying lotion for oily skin years ago, but stopped using as I became a little older and my skin a lot drier. I recieved a sample of the Clarifying Lotion 2 a few months ago, and love it. It really makes my skin feel clean, and does a good job of exfoliating without makeing my skin drier. I just bought the 6 ounce bottle for 13.00 at Macy's. I like the smaller bottle, as I always have a fear that the larger sizes will become contaminated or will sit around for too long if I dont use them up right away. I also travel alot so the 6 oz bottle doesnt take up as much room in my suitcase.

on 1/22/2012 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this and it really helps my dry skin. My skin is SO dry that no moisturizers worked well enough for me, I even used to slather vaseline on my T-zone. I have a very dry T-zone and normal cheeks.

When I use this, my skin feels like it can breathe. I've tried other toners and they never do this. Actually, I don't even know if this is a toner... The girl at my counter said it was like a lotion. and it really does work. I have the dramatically different moisturizer as well, but i dont put that all over my face. I only dab it throughout the day on areas of my face that get dry throughout the day.

The big bottle seemed a little pricey to me so I got the smaller bottle at Nordstrom that was like $12? Something like that, anyway. I absolutely love this and when I run out, I will go buy the big bottle. I use a burts bees face wash, this, and then I dab the clinique dramat. diff. lotion on areas of my face that get dry that get dry throughout the day and my skin has never felt better!

LOVEEEE! I cant believe the ratings aren't 5 stars on here:/ dont hesitate to try this out, I am in love with everything Clinique, this stuff gets rid of the makeup and dirt on my face that gets left behind and it leaves a tingling feeling that makes your face feel really clean, and I makes my skin really soft! It doesnt dry out my skin in any way or make it more oily. I will be using this stuff forever now and will always be repurchasing!

I love this stuff! It feels great going on and does a good job sloughing away the last (sometimes invisible) remnants left behind after washing my face. It feels cool and tingly going on, which I find soothing. It dries oily spots when they appear and soothes any irritation I'm experiencing. I would give this product 5 stars, except that this product is mostly Witch Hazel, which can be bought t the drugstore for a much lower price. However, for me, the additional ingredients Clinique adds to create the soothing cooling experience are worth the extra money for me.

on 12/31/2011 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I'm hooked. I am oily/combination skin and the sales girl suggested I try this. I LOVE IT. When I first smelled it, I thought I would hate it because I am very sensitive to smells and the witch hazel smell is strong at first. However, it goes away after application.This has worked wonders on my skin. I don't get a lot of pimples, but when I do, I swab this on 3 times a day and they clear up within a day or two. Also picks up any dirt left behind by my regular cleanser. I will continue to buy this for as long as they sell it.

on 12/30/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I can't believe this has such low ratings.
After years of battling with acne and troubled skin - this product saved me. I didn't even know what toner was or how to use it, until I started reading about Clinique's 3-Step Skin Care program, since I was desperate to have nice skin and be rid of my horrible skin. I had received these as samples in a GWP and the first time you try toner is certainly an experience. Needless to say, this product has been lifechanging, and is the only worthwhile "step" in the 3-step program. Using this, along with other proper skincare techniques and lifestyle changes has positively changed my skin. Although I am so sick of this product now, because I have been using it consistently for 4 years, I still love it because of how it helped me. As much as I used acne products and removed my makeup and cleansed regularly, my face was never and is never fully clean until I use toner.

Yes, there is a scent, and this product does contain alcohol. The strength of the scent increases with the number, as you move from level 2 to 4. I did not find the alcohol to be drying, because I follow immediately with a moisturizer, which you should if you're going to be using a toner.

Because I got bored of this, I tried other toners (Lancome, Estee Lauder), and while they were also effective, and had a better scent, I think I will return to using this one for the price. Those were more expensive and didn't perform any better or any worse.

on 12/28/2011 6:14:00 PM

It and the rest of the 3 step system actually saved my skin.

on 11/17/2011 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm not sure why I even put this on my face. Well, besides the fact that it was free. It smells absolutely terrible; I could overlook that if it actually helped my skin, but alas. One use gave me crazy acne on my cheeks and forehead (where I don't usually break out) after burning and stinging my face within an inch of its life. I decided I didn't want to waste it and used it around my eye area to help remove residual makeup. The next day, I had a zit on my EYELID. No joke. This stuff is horrific!